Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (125) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (463921 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) (128) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by dazekid(m): 1:47pm On Oct 28, 2014
blackweaver:

DSL? damn small? is that distro still alive?

@4llerbe just bite the bullet, put xubuntu - even if it's 14.04, add kingsoft office

The distros got heavier I guess, i remember the days when you could get puppy Linux under 100mb, i seriously doubt that is possible now

Nah damn small linux is already dead as far as I know. @4llerbuntu,if you want a distro that a noob can figure out on the fly,you can try elementary os.I don't know how large it is though.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 7:16am On Oct 29, 2014
4llerbuntu:

i still don't grin grin

I only installed something else because my 14.04 install crashed. and remember the KDE i'm using is not vanilla. the Pinguy guy already installed and tweaked so many things so its not bad....... i doubt if it was vanilla kubuntu i'd still be using it.

yeah, i'm lazy too these days. no time to mess around too much.

ultimately its not so bad sha, now that i don't poke round my installs much. i just know i'm never downloading Pinguy OS ever again. too much crap and customizations. duplication of app, updating is a major data waste each time.....

BTW i'm thinking of migrating one old PC at work to a distro. PC came with XP and its a pain to allow XP on the network.... always attacked.
problem is i can't think of an appropriate distro.
Guy that uses the PC uses only* firefox and MS word. total noob, even in windows.

challenge is, something that does not deviate too far from windows look (and will not end up with me holding his hand all the time) AND will not be heavy on the download.

FFS even Xubuntu .iso is 915MB shocked shocked shocked thought of mint xfce, its 1.2gb

whatever happened to light distros?

Elementary OS is the closest to Windows look that I know
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:27am On Oct 31, 2014
so I did install Linux Mint XFCE . updated it

installed PlayonLinux, used it to install MS Office. (no time to be explaining to noob that libre office works fine.)

setup ad block, ghostery and noscript on Firefox.

been 2 days and he has not complained yet.

fingers crossed. grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by brightk(m): 1:56pm On Oct 31, 2014
4llerbuntu:
so I did install Linux Mint XFCE . updated it

installed PlayonLinux, used it to install MS Office. (no time to be explaining to noob that libre office works fine.)

setup ad block, ghostery and noscript on Firefox.

been 2 days and he has not complained yet.

fingers crossed. grin
@4llerbuntu...funny id....u seem 2 be an experience linux user..i want to know wat will happen wen i switch my interface lets say xfce to gnome or others.. will my apps still be ok...

i have been 2 lazy dis days 2 setup another virtual machine... ve bin busy wit hardware stuffs..
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:13am On Nov 01, 2014
brightk:
@4llerbuntu...funny id....u seem 2 be an experience linux user..i want to know wat will happen wen i switch my interface lets say xfce to gnome or others.. will my apps still be ok...

i have been 2 lazy dis days 2 setup another virtual machine... ve bin busy wit hardware stuffs..

well nothing will happen to your apps, though you may need to figure out where to find what app you want to use, depending on what window manager you're switching between. xfce, mate and kde have the traditional start menu, so does the fallback version of gnome3 (if it still exists - I haven't used it for a while) . Anyway even if you're switching to or from gnome3 or unity I don't think you should have too much of a hard time figuring things out, and worst case scenario, you can always switch back to the wm you're familiar with
Re: Ubuntu Linux by puresoul1(m): 10:35am On Nov 13, 2014
I need ur help guys, my windows 8 is misbehaving, im thinking of moving to Ubuntu Linux but dont know much about it, and I'm scared of compatibility issues of software ur advise is urgently needed my Oga at the top grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by just2endowed: 12:18pm On Nov 16, 2014
I install Ubuntu on my window 7 and its dual boot now. problem I have is that sometime Ubuntu don't boot up if I choose it .its Ubuntu 14.01 or something. guys what could be the problem?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by horrpeyemi: 2:09am On Nov 17, 2014
Guys kindly help I just install kali Linux dual boot with windows 7 but I find it difficult to browse with my mtn modem on kali Linux after installing the software whenever I click on connect it won't connect what could be the solution?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by purplekayc(m): 4:04pm On Nov 18, 2014
horrpeyemi:
Guys kindly help I just install kali Linux dual boot with windows 7 but I find it difficult to browse with my mtn modem on kali Linux after installing the software whenever I click on connect it won't connect what could be the solution?
is this your first Linux experience?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by horrpeyemi: 10:03pm On Nov 18, 2014
purplekayc:
is this your first Linux experience?
yeah but thanks am now browsing on it
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 4:42pm On Nov 29, 2014
docvipper:
Which distribution you suggest for newbies with a low computer spec? Ubuntu 14.10 is a good candidate?

Ubuntu 14.10 is ok, or if you're too worried about the specs of your computer you can try xubuntu 14.10 which is Ubuntu with a lighter gui
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dazekid(m): 5:05pm On Nov 29, 2014
Damn, just got this devil PC that I am to install linux on. Now I am getting pissed off, it installs any windows version I try on it but when I try a linux iso, it refuses to boot from the disk, be it a dvd or a flash drive. Has anyone got a fix for this that doesn't require bios changes?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 5:45pm On Nov 29, 2014
dazekid:
Damn, just got this devil PC that I am to install linux on. Now I am getting pissed off, it installs any windows version I try on it but when I try a linux iso, it refuses to boot from the disk, be it a dvd or a flash drive. Has anyone got a fix for this that doesn't require bios changes?

did it come with win8? perhaps it had that secure boot thingy
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Awoofawo(m): 11:08am On Nov 30, 2014
blackweaver:

My lappy comes with windows 8.1 being trying since last to install uhuntu 14.1 lite on it. could pls explain how go about it. the lappy is hp thanks!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by dazekid(m): 12:55pm On Nov 30, 2014
blackweaver:

Lol didn't actually think about that but yeah it did. Shii is a pain in the rear bro. Any how-to's you'd recommend?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:34am On Dec 01, 2014
Awoofawo:

My lappy comes with windows 8.1 being trying since last to install uhuntu 14.1 lite on it. could pls explain how go about it. the lappy is hp thanks!

dazekid:

Lol didn't actually think about that but yeah it did. Shii is a pain in the rear bro. Any how-to's you'd recommend?

sorry i haven't been online for a while, anyway you'll probably have to go to the bios settings to disable secure boot. If you're lucky there will be an option to that, if not you're probably stuck with windows, unless you want to do a wubi install (if that works)

My advice check online for info on disabling secure boot for your lappy type, each manufacturer has it's own method of doing that, but it's still in the bios setting sha
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Awoofawo(m): 5:59pm On Dec 01, 2014
blackweaver:

sorry i haven't been online for a while, anyway you'll probably have to go to the bios settings to disable secure boot. If you're lucky there will be an option to that, if not you're probably stuck with windows, unless you want to do a wubi install (if that works)

My advice check online for info on disabling secure boot for your lappy type, each manufacturer has it's own method of doing that, but it's still in the bios setting sha

thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dazekid(m): 9:24pm On Dec 01, 2014
blackweaver:

Thanks man, the wubi install was a bust and I guess I am going to have to do a BIOS workaround which is what I was trying to avoid in the first place.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Awoofawo(m): 9:46pm On Dec 02, 2014
after disableing thensecure boot, ubuntu still fail to install!!! any other tricks to get ubuntu on my pc?
blackweaver:

sorry i haven't been online for a while, anyway you'll probably have to go to the bios settings to disable secure boot
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 10:51am On Dec 03, 2014
dazekid:

Thanks man, the wubi install was a bust and I guess I am going to have to do a BIOS workaround which is what I was trying to avoid in the first place.

Turn off fast boot(from power options before shutting down) , secure boot and enable legacy support.

Choose boot media on startup using F9 (that's the key on my laptop)

Ensure the boot media has a EFI tag (in case you see 2)

Install

After installation, restore secure boot and turn off legacy support (if your install was a UEFI install it should work).

It might still boot up Windows by default, just use f9 for when you want to boot into something else
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Davidbanky(m): 8:15am On Dec 11, 2014
I use an elitebook 6930p, 2gb ram and 250gb ,which version will work properly on it ? Thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by gememerald(m): 7:13pm On Dec 17, 2014
Davidbanky:
I use an elitebook 6930p, 2gb ram and 250gb ,which version will work properly on it ? Thanks
Install latest version of ubuntu. But can you install it yourself??
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Davidbanky(m): 7:44pm On Dec 17, 2014
gememerald:
Install latest version of ubuntu. But can you install it yourself??

I won't mind if u can help ?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by gememerald(m): 8:13pm On Dec 17, 2014
Davidbanky:

I won't mind if u can help ?

No problem, I would guide you on how to go about it. Are you ready now?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Davidbanky(m): 11:22pm On Dec 17, 2014
gememerald:

No problem, I would guide you on how to go about it. Are you ready now?

I will need to be at home for a wifi, currently out, till Friday, won't mind your phone number
Re: Ubuntu Linux by gememerald(m): 12:13am On Dec 18, 2014
Davidbanky:

I will need to be at home for a wifi, currently out, till Friday, won't mind your phone number

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Davidbanky(m): 3:33am On Dec 18, 2014
gememerald:

Thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Intellab(m): 9:07am On Dec 19, 2014
I'm running a bot on an ubuntu 14 x64 vps with less than 512ram. I can say it's fast than the previous 1gig Windows one i had.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 8:26pm On Dec 20, 2014
Installed Cinammon am never going back to Unity ever. this is so awesome for me everything i need is on the taskbar one way or the other

(1) (2) (3) ... (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) (128) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.