Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,039 members, 7,807,121 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:52 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (155) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (463165 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Barywhyte(m): 4:13pm On May 24, 2018
Gargoylesmiles:

send ur email address and I will share the link with you. I am blocked from sharing it here.

seun@programmer.net
Thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Gargoylesmiles(m): 10:34pm On May 24, 2018
Barywhyte:

seun@programmer.net
Thanks

Sent
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Barywhyte(m): 8:26am On May 25, 2018
Gargoylesmiles:

Sent
seen
thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Taiwo20(m): 2:10pm On May 30, 2018
hi guys
i created a bootable disc using Imgburn on a DVD-RW but i'm finding it difficult to install it
its not booting from the disc

Help!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:02am On May 31, 2018
Taiwo20:
hi guys
i created a bootable disc using Imgburn on a DVD-RW but i'm finding it difficult to install it
its not booting from the disc

Help!!

When you view the disk on your pc, do you see an iso file or you just see other files and folders?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Deicide: 7:10pm On May 31, 2018
Does Ubuntu handle playing HD videos well?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Taiwo20(m): 7:22pm On May 31, 2018
blackweaver:

When you view the disk on your pc, do you see an iso file or you just see other files and folders?

I downloaded the .iso file....however after burning it on the disc what I see is files and folders.

Thank you.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 1:43pm On Jun 01, 2018
t
Taiwo20:

I downloaded the .iso file....however after burning it on the disc what I see is files and folders.

Thank you.

That's about right. When you want to boot it, what happens? Is it that the system doesn't bother to boot the cd or it starts to boot and fails?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Taiwo20(m): 1:45pm On Jun 01, 2018
blackweaver:
t

That's about right. When you want to boot it, what happens? Is it that the system doesn't bother to boot the cd or it starts to boot and fails?

it doesnt bother to boot. it doesnt boot from the CD
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 2:57pm On Jun 01, 2018
Taiwo20:

it doesnt bother to boot. it doesnt boot from the CD

Can you boot any bootable cds? Say your bootable windows cd if not then the problem is with your bios setting, the system is trying to boot from the hard drive before the cd. WHen your system starts, there should be a message that comes up for a very short time, something like press f2 or f10 or delete to enter setup
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Taiwo20(m): 4:08pm On Jun 01, 2018
blackweaver:

Can you boot any bootable cds? Say your bootable windows cd if not then the problem is with your bios setting, the system is trying to boot from the hard drive before the cd. WHen your system starts, there should be a message that comes up for a very short time, something like press f2 or f10 or delete to enter setup

Thanks for you time and advice. I actually ran windows on from a disc. Although, i didnt burn the disk, i purchased it that way. I changed the BIOS setting to boot first from the CD/DVD drive.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 7:14am On Jun 02, 2018
And it's still not booting? You say it's a DVD rw right? Erase the disc and write the image again
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 9:45am On Jun 02, 2018
Hi guys. Its been a while that I have grazed this parts. Quick question.. Is there anyone who by any chance still uses glo modem with say wvdial. I am doing some IoT work with RaspberryPi and I will be using a glo USB 3g dongle for Internet connection. The dongle works with Mtn but the coverage in the area I am deploying is very patchy. Feedbacks would be appreciated.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Oworock(m): 10:56am On Jun 03, 2018
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:52pm On Jun 03, 2018
bigrovar:
Hi guys. Its been a while that I have grazed this parts. Quick question.. Is there anyone who by any chance still uses glo modem with say wvdial. I am doing some IoT work with RaspberryPi and I will be using a glo USB 3g dongle for Internet connection. The dongle works with Mtn but the coverage in the area I am deploying is very patchy. Feedbacks would be appreciated.

Wvdial! Wow! It's a long time I've used that, takes me back to my days of using a starcomms modem. Haven't used it for years. Have gotten lazy and just stick with a mifi modem

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:52pm On Jun 03, 2018
Oworock:
How to install Notepad plus plus on Ubuntu https://oworock.com/2018/06/install-notepad-ubuntu-17-10-18-04-via-snap.html

What's the big deal? Wine will handle it just fine
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Gargoylesmiles(m): 5:42pm On Jun 04, 2018
Oworock:
How to install Notepad plus plus on Ubuntu https://oworock.com/2018/06/install-notepad-ubuntu-17-10-18-04-via-snap.html

My Linux alternatives such as Kate does a great job and integrates well on my KDE distro so no need to use Notepad++ in Linux.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Gargoylesmiles(m): 5:56pm On Jun 04, 2018
bigrovar:

I dont think you will have any issue if its already configured and works with MTN. Just change the parameters to suit Glo. Are you working with a Raspberry pi shield modem (with SIM 905 etc) and Glo SIM or trying to connect directly with a Glo modem? I am interested in such projects.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Gargoylesmiles(m): 5:57pm On Jun 04, 2018
Taiwo20:

Thanks for you time and advice. I actually ran windows on from a disc. Although, i didnt burn the disk, i purchased it that way. I changed the BIOS setting to boot first from the CD/DVD drive.

Are you still having any challenge getting this to work?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Taiwo20(m): 6:18pm On Jun 04, 2018
Gargoylesmiles:

Are you still having any challenge getting this to work?

i actually plan to do that tomorrow.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Gargoylesmiles(m): 6:21pm On Jun 04, 2018
Taiwo20:

i actually plan to do that tomorrow.

Ohk, if you have the ISO file I will suggest you use a USB drive in place of CD/DVD. Its less stressful.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Taiwo20(m): 8:58pm On Jun 04, 2018
Gargoylesmiles:

Ohk, if you have the ISO file I will suggest you use a USB drive in place of CD/DVD. Its less stressful.

you mean I should create a bootable USB.... I would try both tomorrow evening and give you a feed back
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Oworock(m): 2:48am On Jun 05, 2018
blackweaver:

What's the big deal? Wine will handle it just fine
The only big deal here is that wine is not needed. Some people may not want to use wine, just like me.

Gargoylesmiles:

My Linux alternatives such as Kate does a great job and integrates well on my KDE distro so no need to use Notepad++ in Linux.

Wow!!! That's cool. although, I have a software that integrates well too, but am used to notepad plus plus that's why.

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by sodson11(m): 6:30pm On Jun 05, 2018
Hi! I am on Ubuntu 18.04 and I can't boot into my system. It stops at started gnome device

How do I fix?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Gargoylesmiles(m): 10:08pm On Jun 05, 2018
sodson11:
Hi! I am on Ubuntu 18.04 and I can't boot into my system. It stops at started gnome device

How do I fix?

First time issue after several use or was expereinced after installation?
Can you share a screen shot?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Gargoylesmiles(m): 10:10pm On Jun 05, 2018
Taiwo20:

you mean I should create a bootable USB.... I would try both tomorrow evening and give you a feed back

Great, let me know how it goes.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by olanrewaju91(m): 7:27pm On Jun 08, 2018
Fountain print production

specialize on

Professional design
Business card
Business dairy
Handbill
Calendar
Publishing
Banner
I.d card
Annual report
Invitation card
Posters
Brochure
Pamphlets & bulletin......e.t.c

Call Larry on 08108895977
Whatsapp 08125797605

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by brightk(m): 2:29pm On Jun 11, 2018
olanrewaju91:
Fountain print production

specialize on

Professional design
Business card
Business dairy
Handbill
Calendar
Publishing
Banner
I.d card
Annual report
Invitation card
Posters
Brochure
Pamphlets & bulletin......e.t.c

Call Larry on 08108895977
Whatsapp 08125797605
Are u sure u are OK?

2 Likes

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Folarinibrahim1(m): 6:50pm On Jun 12, 2018
Barywhyte:

of course both are good for beginners. I mean Ubuntu and mint. They both use dpkg as package manager. So software differences is not a decider. Any desktop environment is fine. xfce, Cinnamon, gnome etc.
I settled for cinnamon and it's bn great tho consumes power (like it demands alot from my processor) and audio quality isn't that good
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Gargoylesmiles(m): 11:06pm On Jun 12, 2018
Folarinibrahim1:
I settled for cinnamon and it's bn great tho consumes power (like it demands alot from my processor) and audio quality isn't that good

So you settled for Mint? Good choice,my only challenge is that they dropped support for KDE and I am KDE fan so I will not be touching Mint for a long time to come.
But its a good distro for anybody who wants to switch to Linux.

If you are interested pls join the Nigeria Linux User Group on Telegram to meet other Linux users like you. Lets share our Linux experience together.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 1:21am On Jun 14, 2018
blackweaver:

Wvdial! Wow! It's a long time I've used that, takes me back to my days of using a starcomms modem. Haven't used it for years. Have gotten lazy and just stick with a mifi modem
Same here o.. Network manager has made us all lazy with its auto configure that sadly just works undecided
Anyway I figured it out. Just need to fill some glo specific parameters meters and it is working like a charm. I had to add it to /etc/rc.local for it to start on boot and add a 60 sec delay for the modem to be initialized by the Pi and modem switched. Trust Linux works like a charm every damn time.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 1:29am On Jun 14, 2018
Gargoylesmiles:

I dont think you will have any issue if its already configured and works with MTN. Just change the parameters to suit Glo. Are you working with a Raspberry pi shield modem (with SIM 905 etc) and Glo SIM or trying to connect directly with a Glo modem? I am interested in such projects.
Nothing fancy. Just some generic Hsdpa 3g modem I got from some random guy on the street. I needed to figure RPi to monitor my offgrid solar setup and help provide remote logging and system monitoring. The modem was meant to provide connection to the Internet.. After some challenges including having to write custom udev rules for modeswitch for that particular modem and for persistent linking of the modem and charge controller rs232 to ttl usb cables to a particular tty com port using symlinks. Everything worksb like a charm. The resultant output is displayed in my signature below.

(1) (2) (3) ... (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.