Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:31 AM

Nigerian Sworn In As Belgian Councillor Europe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Sworn In As Belgian Councillor Europe (913 Views)

Aisha Eniola Is An Elected Councillor In London / This Is How A Councillor Says He Is Delivering His Campaign Promises / APC Councillor In Ogun Admits Membership Of Kidnap Gang (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Sworn In As Belgian Councillor Europe by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jan 04, 2013
Nigerian sworn in as Belgian
Councillor
Nigerian-born Collins Nweke, was
on Friday sworn in as Councillor
of West- Flanders Constituency in
Belgium.
Collins Nweke, Belgian councillor
Europe.
Nweke, a member of the Belgian
Green Party, was re-elected last
year having made history in
2006 when he became the first
non-Belgian born politician to
win an elective position in West-
Flanders.
With his re-election, Nweke’s
mandate includes issues
bordering on the economy, social
policy, international development
and minority priority.
“The last several years were a
learning curve where some
important results were equally
achieved.
“ I will continue to have my eyes
on the ball as far as social policy
is concerned, but with an
expanded portfolio that includes
the economy and international
development.
“Small and medium enterprises
are the engine of the local
economy and a business-friendly
environment will not only keep
existing businesses in good
shape but will attract new
investments and create jobs.
“A number of good initiatives are
ongoing and obviously these
would be continued and
enhanced. “It will also make
sense to re-evaluate some
economic activities that are
liabilities to the local economy,"
He told NAN’s Western Europe
Correspondent.
Nweke, who spoke on
international development, said
the challenges of global
meltdown were insurmountable.
“I think that the relationship
between the western economies
and the emerging ones has for
too long being based on the
wrong premise. He said that
partnership, rather than charity,
should be the bedspring on
which the larger part of the
relationship rests.
“The economies of the west are
showing signs of saturation,
while there are huge
developmental potential in the
emerging economies. So let's
build a relationship of mutual
benefits." Nweke, 46, years,from
Ibusa in Delta state, migrated to
Belgium in 1993; he is currently
the Chairman of Nigerians in
Diaspora in

Re: Nigerian Sworn In As Belgian Councillor Europe by Nightshift(m): 9:25pm On Jan 04, 2013
The more affluent Flanders are a little bit liberal than the Wallonians. Many Africans are living without papers in Flander's port City of Antwerp without harassment from the authorities. I am not surprised....
Re: Nigerian Sworn In As Belgian Councillor Europe by Igwe9(m): 9:27pm On Jan 04, 2013
Cool!

Are you the Nweke, else not, Can we have your source?
Thank you
Re: Nigerian Sworn In As Belgian Councillor Europe by AustineE1: 9:45pm On Jan 04, 2013
....to think that i cannt be the chairman or mayor of Ikeja or the chairman of a local govt in Kano,says alot!while a brother is going places in far away Belgium!i doff my cap for him,more grease!
Re: Nigerian Sworn In As Belgian Councillor Europe by Nightshift(m): 9:46pm On Jan 04, 2013
European democracy works if you've got balls to join them. Initially, they may ignore you, but if you have the charisma and a good understanding of their political culture and social environment they will take you serious and get you really involved. The half Vietnamese Dr. Rösler ( leader of German liberal party FDP) is an example. It's quite different from ethnic/religious bigot infested Nigerian mafia-like political party setups. Are we getting there or are we getting crazier by the day in Nigerian democracy ??
Re: Nigerian Sworn In As Belgian Councillor Europe by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jan 04, 2013
Igwe.:
Cool!

Are you the Nweke, else not, Can we have your source?
Thank you
source
http://newsbreaknigeria.com/news/Nigerian+sworn+in+as+Belgian+Councillor
Re: Nigerian Sworn In As Belgian Councillor Europe by Nightshift(m): 10:11pm On Jan 04, 2013
If such positive news is taking to front page (moderator take note), it will teach or perhaps help in changing the perception of those Nairalanders who think that the world stop at their ethnic backyard. We must change the way we view one another in Nigeria, or we get ready for a very long hot Sommer with nasty consequences .

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Sworn In As Belgian Councillor Europe by Akshow: 10:36pm On Jan 04, 2013
Austine.E:
....to think that i cannt be the chairman or mayor of Ikeja or the chairman of a local govt in Kano,says alot!while a brother is going places in far away Belgium!i doff my cap for him,more grease!
How many of the Ikeja or Kano indigens can become not a chairman, but a councillor in your own home state in the east?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Sworn In As Belgian Councillor Europe by ak47mann(m): 4:15am On Jan 05, 2013
igbo man talking over government positions in European countries and america O boy fear igbo race in future
Re: Nigerian Sworn In As Belgian Councillor Europe by Nobody: 5:15am On Jan 05, 2013
Nightshift: If such positive news is taking to front page (moderator take note), it will teach or perhaps help in changing the perception of those Nairalanders who think that the world stop at their ethnic backyard. We must change the way we view one another in Nigeria, or we get ready for a very long hot Sommer with nasty consequences .

[size=13pt]Well said. I agree.[/size]
Re: Nigerian Sworn In As Belgian Councillor Europe by mensdept: 5:35am On Jan 05, 2013
These men I'm sure are better leaders than their counterparts in the East. Too bad

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Sworn In As Belgian Councillor Europe by Nobody: 9:48am On Jan 05, 2013
Akshow: How many of the Ikeja or Kano indigens can become not a chairman, but a councillor in your own home state in the east?
only three

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Sworn In As Belgian Councillor Europe by Nobody: 10:14am On Jan 05, 2013
With time, an adekunle would be governor of Enugu state

With time, a Nwankwo would be governor of kano state

With time, a mohammed would be governor of akwa ibom.
Like Enya said “only time“
Nigeria would get there someday.....

(1) (Reply)

Searching For Fashola's Achievements (part 3) / Buhari, Babaginda, Aliyu-gusua And The Nigerian Amnesia On Dele Giwa. / President Goodluck Jonathan And Sambo Dancing To Kukere By Iyanya On Stage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.