Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:22 AM

Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment (26451 Views)

The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention / Maduike Ezeibe Claims He Cures HIV/AIDS / Nigeria’s Maurice Iwu, Others Record Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by onyeokwu: 8:09am On Jan 05, 2013
As the world continued to battle with efforts aimed at finding cure to HIV/AIDS, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has announced another breakthrough in the treatment of the disease with the discovery of an oral botanical drug, Crofelemer.

The new drug is the second botanical, and an orally administered drug to be approved by FDA since 2006.

The latest breakthrough owes its success to a pioneering research carried out in the United States by a team of scientists including Nigeria’s Professor Maurice Iwu, an acclaimed pharmacologist and tropical medicine expert.

Prof. Maurice Iwu
The first botanical drug to be approved in the United States was a topical green tea extract, Veregen, in 2006. Both botanical drugs meet all US pharmaceutical requirements and can be dispensed only by prescription.

However, ‘’Crofelemer is the first drug to be approved in the United States to treat HIV -associated diarrhea. It is derived from the latex of the South American sangre de drago tree (dragon’s blood, Croton lechleri). A red, blood-resembling latex leaks from the tree when its bark is cut, and it is this substance that contains the novel polymolecular structure crofelemer, originally developed and standardized by Shaman Pharmaceuticals. Fulyzag is the second botanical drug approved by the agency. The drug’s approval marks an important event in the decades-long history of crofelemer.’’

The latest ‘’Healthnews,’’ in a report entitled, ‘’Nigeria’s Maurice Iwu, others record breakthrough in HIV/AIDS treatment: Amazon tree-derived medicine cleared for usage in HIV patients with diarrhea,’’ stated, ‘’On New Year’s Eve of 2012, the US Food and Drug Administration announced its approval of crofelemer, marking the second time a botanical, and the first time an orally administered botanical, has received drug approval from the Administration. The first botanical drug to be approved in the United States was a topical green tea extract, Veregen in 2006. Both botanical drugs meet all US pharmaceutical requirements and can be dispensed only by prescription.

’’The latest breakthrough owes its success to a pioneering research carried out in the United States by a team of scientists which included Nigeria’s Professor Maurice Iwu, an acclaimed pharmacologist and tropical medicine expert.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/01/nigerias-maurice-iwu-others-record-breakthrough-in-hivaids-treatment/

3 Likes

Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by hrmkz: 8:11am On Jan 05, 2013
Well done man!
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by Nobody: 8:59am On Jan 05, 2013
I hope this news is true,The last time i heard about that name prof.Maurice Iwu,it has to do with fraud and election malpractices during onasanjos govt.

I hope this is not some sort of joke and i hope prof maurice iwu in the above story isnt related to the maurice wuruwuru of inec.

16 Likes

Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by cockyjay: 9:24am On Jan 05, 2013
gbosaa: I hope this news is true,The last time i heard about that name prof.Maurice Iwu,it has to do with fraud and election malpractices during onasanjos govt.

I hope this is not some sort of joke and i hope prof maurice iwu in the above story isnt related to the maurice wuruwuru of inec.
lmao that was the first thing that came to my mind
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by Nobody: 10:18am On Jan 05, 2013
Congraz man for making nija proud although we are yet to forget how u rigged election in the country particularly in abia state. I have been telling some of my colleagues that the best way to tackle aids is to obtain an immune sera from apes and i will not blab much on it untill the day i will announce my findings to the whole world in months or years to come. Just sit tyt n watch

10 Likes

Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by Nobody: 10:26am On Jan 05, 2013
Great achievement,now there ar 2 different options of treatment.congrats
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by OsunOriginal: 10:56am On Jan 05, 2013
onye_okwu: As the world continued to battle with efforts aimed at finding cure to HIV/AIDS, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has announced another breakthrough in the treatment of the disease with the discovery of an oral botanical drug, Crofelemer.

The new drug is the second botanical, and an orally administered drug to be approved by FDA since 2006.

The latest breakthrough owes its success to a pioneering research carried out in the United States by a team of scientists including Nigeria’s Professor Maurice Iwu, an acclaimed pharmacologist and tropical medicine expert.

Prof. Maurice Iwu
The first botanical drug to be approved in the United States was a topical green tea extract, Veregen, in 2006. Both botanical drugs meet all US pharmaceutical requirements and can be dispensed only by prescription.

However, ‘’Crofelemer is the first drug to be approved in the United States to treat HIV -associated diarrhea. It is derived from the latex of the South American sangre de drago tree (dragon’s blood, Croton lechleri). A red, blood-resembling latex leaks from the tree when its bark is cut, and it is this substance that contains the novel polymolecular structure crofelemer, originally developed and standardized by Shaman Pharmaceuticals. Fulyzag is the second botanical drug approved by the agency. The drug’s approval marks an important event in the decades-long history of crofelemer.’’

The latest ‘’Healthnews,’’ in a report entitled, ‘’Nigeria’s Maurice Iwu, others record breakthrough in HIV/AIDS treatment: Amazon tree-derived medicine cleared for usage in HIV patients with diarrhea,’’ stated, ‘’On New Year’s Eve of 2012, the US Food and Drug Administration announced its approval of crofelemer, marking the second time a botanical, and the first time an orally administered botanical, has received drug approval from the Administration. The first botanical drug to be approved in the United States was a topical green tea extract, Veregen in 2006. Both botanical drugs meet all US pharmaceutical requirements and can be dispensed only by prescription.

’’The latest breakthrough owes its success to a pioneering research carried out in the United States by a team of scientists which included Nigeria’s Professor Maurice Iwu, an acclaimed pharmacologist and tropical medicine expert.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/01/nigerias-maurice-iwu-others-record-breakthrough-in-hivaids-treatment/

That pathetic election rigger initiating a medical research?
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by philip0906(m): 10:58am On Jan 05, 2013
OsunOriginal:

That pathetic election rigger initiating a medical research?
very shocking!!!
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by aglomar: 10:58am On Jan 05, 2013
Great, i hope it doesn't get hijacked or sidelined though
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by dridowu: 11:00am On Jan 05, 2013
Who is Maurice Iwu ?
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by sulaimon99(m): 11:00am On Jan 05, 2013
may ALLAH forgive us and save us frm both curable and uncurable diseases

2 Likes

Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by executinal(m): 11:00am On Jan 05, 2013
Naija we no dey Cary last
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by ifydon4real(m): 11:01am On Jan 05, 2013
Well don man...who say's we are not good in all ramification?
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by Decapo: 11:01am On Jan 05, 2013
So?
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by sholay2011(m): 11:02am On Jan 05, 2013
I don't think the Prof Iwu being mentioned here is the Mr. Electn abracadabra...

But it's nt far from possibility in Nigeria...dat a pharmacologist wud head INEC...or a pharmacist wud be minister of informatn nd communicatn (Aunty Dora).

Nigeria is a land of possibilities! grin

4 Likes

Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by Nobody: 11:02am On Jan 05, 2013
Is it the same Maurice Iwu of INEC? If so,a leopard can never change its skin.
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by eaglechild: 11:03am On Jan 05, 2013
This shows that a square peg does not belong to a round hole.
Kudos to the prof.
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by yormite: 11:04am On Jan 05, 2013
So d man is a phrmacologist wat did a pharmocologist has to do with politics nd election commision naija i hail ooo
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by FXKing2012(m): 11:06am On Jan 05, 2013
Another great Igbo man doing Nigeria proud out there.

Nigeria shld be grateful to such Igbo men and women as Okonjo Iweala, Ezekwesili, Prof Chinue Achebe, Prof Maurice Iwu, Don Jazzy, Chidinma, P.Square, Flavour etc etc for for laundering the image of Nigeria.

10 Likes

Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by azpeculiar: 11:06am On Jan 05, 2013
All ye fools, the former INEC chairmam is a Professor of Pharmacology. He simply went back to the laboratory!

4 Likes

Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by tonte(m): 11:06am On Jan 05, 2013
sulaimon99: may ALLAH forgive us and save us frm both curable and uncurable diseases

My friend u know Allah isn't in the habit of forgiving or saving anyone 4rm shii

3 Likes

Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by dreu2fine(m): 11:07am On Jan 05, 2013
I hope say e no go rig d cure for d cure or treatment of hiv/aids.is dis a cure or a treatment
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by Nobody: 11:07am On Jan 05, 2013
Govt must learn to channel human resources properly. How did he end up as inec chairman, when his calling is obviously medical research?
Smthing about square,peg,hole and round.
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by caesaraba(m): 11:08am On Jan 05, 2013
Maurice Iwu Hmmmmm.....

*goes back to reading African Nerd by Redmosquito*

1 Like

Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by Sirgen05(m): 11:08am On Jan 05, 2013
Pls can some1 put me clear if it is the same Maurice Iwu of INEC?
Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by wowo2: 11:09am On Jan 05, 2013
The drug being touted is not an anti-HIV drug but one used for the treatment of diarrhea associated with anti-HIV drugs.

Prof Iwu has had controversies trailing him in the academia before he even became Electoral Umpire...This does not preclude the fact that he could be a good research scientist.

1 Like

Re: Iwu, Others Breakthrough In HIV/AIDS Treatment by flow1759: 11:11am On Jan 05, 2013
dridowu: Who is Maurice Iwu ?
oooh dear He is an Okada man

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

10 Health Benefits Of Onions, Garlic And Ginger / How To Avoid A Gas Explosion: 5 Tips That Can Save Your Life. / Fake Doctor Arrested In Oyo Over Life Threatening Abortion (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.