Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,205 members, 7,953,758 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:03 AM

Senegal Style - Women Have Their Gums Tattooed Black To Improve Their Smiles - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Senegal Style - Women Have Their Gums Tattooed Black To Improve Their Smiles (3565 Views)

Girl Incredibly Transforms From Black To White (before & After Pics) / Male Beautician Who Transformed From Black To White (Photos) / Senegal Women Tattoo Their Gums To Improve Their Smile (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senegal Style - Women Have Their Gums Tattooed Black To Improve Their Smiles by alashock: 9:09am On Jan 05, 2013
http://www.alashock.com/2013/01/video-pics-beauty-treatments-senegal.html

Women in Senegal have taken their quest for beautiful smiles to extreme levels - by tattooing their gums black.

The women say their ancestors have been doing it for years and claim as well as giving a whiter smile, the procedure also protects the gums and stops bad breath.

The procedure was not well known internationally until recently when a video emerged showing a woman called Mariéme who goes under the needle.

More than 17,000 people have watched Mariéme endure the painful process online. Mariéme said she had become 'obsessed' with the idea of getting her gums tattooed in order to achieve the perfect smile.

She pays a woman, who works from her family home, just 80p to tattoo a combination of burnt oil and shea butter into her gums. The mixture is at first pressed onto her gums before a needle is repeatedly pricked into it.

Mariéme bears the pain at first, she is seen pushing the tattooist away in tears when the agony becomes too much.

With the black mixture smeared across her mouth and face, Mariéme is only able to have four of the seven layers she originally intended.

She tells the interviewer: 'It hurts. I would never recommend this torture to anyone.'

Before Mariéme, left, visited the tattooist, right, she had become 'obsessed' with the idea of black gums
However, despite the pain she later says she is more than happy with the results.

After a few days she says: 'It really hurts. I thought I was going to die but I tried to hang on. She added: 'Less and less women are doing this but some are still interested, especially women who are looking for a lover.'

But after the pain subsided Mariéme said she was delighted with the results

Re: Senegal Style - Women Have Their Gums Tattooed Black To Improve Their Smiles by eduson77(m): 9:17am On Jan 05, 2013
why not tattoo her labi.a?
irritating **gush!!!
am outta here
Re: Senegal Style - Women Have Their Gums Tattooed Black To Improve Their Smiles by kandiikane(m): 1:43pm On Jan 05, 2013
Nothing new here.
Re: Senegal Style - Women Have Their Gums Tattooed Black To Improve Their Smiles by Idowuogbo(f): 1:48pm On Jan 05, 2013
Wow! Dentists scarce for Senegal? undecided
Re: Senegal Style - Women Have Their Gums Tattooed Black To Improve Their Smiles by Creamchick2013: 3:01pm On Jan 06, 2013
Lol, and to think that I have natural black gums and it kinda makes me shy and self conscious esp wen I smile. Pure case of #someHaveFood. Lol

1 Like

Re: Senegal Style - Women Have Their Gums Tattooed Black To Improve Their Smiles by Chiemeka1: 1:36pm On Dec 18, 2013
Una too fine.
Re: Senegal Style - Women Have Their Gums Tattooed Black To Improve Their Smiles by Thorerah(f): 3:17pm On Dec 18, 2013
MADNESS! Even thinking about having a needle pricking my gums terrifies me,sheesh!

(1) (Reply)

Skin Damage And Repair / In Need Of A Body Cream / Can I Use Black Opal Concealer,mary Kay Foundation,& Iman Loose Powder Together?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.