Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,243 members, 7,818,828 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:09 AM

Why Are Samsung Phones So Expensive? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Are Samsung Phones So Expensive? (5537 Views)

My Experience With Android Phones So Far (photos) / Xmas Sales Of Blackberry Phones: So Cheap! / Unlock All New Samsung Phones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Samsung Phones So Expensive? by luluosas(m): 10:23am On Jan 05, 2013
Why Are Samsung Phones This Expensive?

Looking at the fact that Samsung is a producer of so many brands and products, cutting across communication, storage, audio, visual, cooling etc. but, their business, especially in the mobile phone segment is very expensive.

This observation is born out of the fact that, Techno Company, makers of the Techno phones are offering cheaper products compared to Samsung. Today, with mass migration to smart world, the advent of Techno T1, a 2 Sim phone coming on the Android OS make smart device now affordable to a lot more people.

Today, with the popular released of Techno N3, coming again with 2 Sim, a lot more and more are jumping into the smart world with a cheaper device just at N13,500. Looking at the fact that, the cheapest Samsung Android phone so far is the single Sim Samsung Galaxy Pocket S5300, selling for N18,900, it does not really offer a better pricing any more since there are higher specs phones now with far cheaper price, offering the same Google’s Android Operating System even though with different versions.

Samsung should therefore lower the prices of their phones since they have other businesses outside the phone making business. What do you think?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Samsung Phones So Expensive? by Lexusgs430: 11:31am On Jan 05, 2013
When Nokia was the king of the jungle, did the not also take advantage of their market status and share, to charge what they felt was appropriate?
It might be Samsung today and Techno tomorrow !!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Samsung Phones So Expensive? by luluosas(m): 11:58am On Jan 05, 2013
Lexusgs430: When Nokia was the king of the jungle, did the not also take advantage of their market status and share, to charge what they felt was appropriate?
It might be Samsung today and Techno tomorrow !!!!
The reason why I brought this up is because Samsung is a very RICH company and they can choose to offer their quality products for cheaper amount and they will still make their profit. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Samsung Phones So Expensive? by jaymichael(m): 12:54pm On Jan 05, 2013
the Samsung galaxy pocket comes with 3gig internal memory compared with 512mb for the techno. you may not see that as an issue until when you start using up your phone memory and you need to download some important apps, and your phone keeps tellin you do not have enough memory,

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Samsung Phones So Expensive? by ciphoenix: 5:33pm On Jan 05, 2013
Simply put. Samsung phones and Techno phones are no mates in terms of specifications.
Re: Why Are Samsung Phones So Expensive? by Babanhajiya(m): 7:09pm On Jan 05, 2013
I am a Tecno fan but i can't compare tecno phones with samsung phones, apart from performance, quality also matters. You can use a samsung phone continuesly for more than 5yrs but i don't think a tecno phone can last for more than 2yrs due to the substandard materials used in making the phone hence the huge diffrence in price.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Samsung Phones So Expensive? by Tinyemeka(m): 7:32pm On Jan 05, 2013
I assume Techno is a Chinese company, yeah? undecided
Re: Why Are Samsung Phones So Expensive? by Tinyemeka(m): 7:33pm On Jan 05, 2013
@ Lulosas, please what app could I install to capture screenshots on an unrooted Samsung Galaxy SII?
Re: Why Are Samsung Phones So Expensive? by Toelu(m): 8:00pm On Jan 05, 2013
Tinyemeka: @ Lulosas, please what app could I install to capture screenshots on an unrooted Samsung Galaxy SII?
you don't need an app to take screenshots..

Press the home button and the power button together and you should hear a sound of a screenshot being taken. The screen will flash and you should see a text that shows it has been captured and saved... simple

1 Like

Re: Why Are Samsung Phones So Expensive? by luluosas(m): 9:13pm On Jan 05, 2013
Tinyemeka: I assume Techno is a Chinese company, yeah? undecided
Yeah! Techno is a Chinese product but not necessarily a cheap bad product. After all, the likes of Samsung, Apple and others manufacture their phones hard-wares in China.
Re: Why Are Samsung Phones So Expensive? by luluosas(m): 9:15pm On Jan 05, 2013
Tinyemeka: @ Lulosas, please what app could I install to capture screenshots on an unrooted Samsung Galaxy SII?
I don't use any but, I hope the advice of @Toelu work well for one. Thank you.
Re: Why Are Samsung Phones So Expensive? by luluosas(m): 9:18pm On Jan 05, 2013
jaymichael: the Samsung galaxy pocket comes with 3gig internal memory compared with 512mb for the techno. you may not see that as an issue until when you start using up your phone memory and you need to download some important apps, and your phone keeps tellin you do not have enough memory,
Well, I don't use any for now but, I am just concern over the price difference.
Re: Why Are Samsung Phones So Expensive? by Tinyemeka(m): 9:40pm On Jan 05, 2013
Toelu:

Press the home button and the power button together and you should hear a sound of a screenshot being taken. The screen will flash and you should see a text that shows it has been captured and saved... simple

LOL. Tried it . Thanks. And here I was thinking I needed an app to do that.

Any other tips, tricks, shortcuts? Would appreciate your reply.
Re: Why Are Samsung Phones So Expensive? by Tinyemeka(m): 9:52pm On Jan 05, 2013
luluosas:
Yeah! Techno is a Chinese product but not necessarily a cheap bad product. After all, the likes of Samsung, Apple and others manufacture their phones hard-wares in China.

Yes Samsung, Apple, have manufacturing plants in China. But those are for component hardware parts right? The quality and durability is immediately obvious in products assembled in China. Even Nigerian wires and cables are preffered to those made in China.

I'm not saying all products made in China are bad. All their products are also comparatively low priced and not just the phones.

I dont even think Samsung should be listed among companies which make expensive phones. What about Apple and Blackberry?

Compare Samsung, Apple and BB phones of similar specs. Then you'll know that Samsung phones are not that over-priced.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Samsung Phones So Expensive? by luluosas(m): 10:06pm On Jan 05, 2013
Tinyemeka:

Yes Samsung, Apple, have manufacturing plants in China. But those are for component hardware parts right? The quality and durability is immediately obvious in products assembled in China. Even Nigerian wires and cables are preffered to those made in China.

I'm not saying all products made in China are bad. All their products are also comparatively low priced and not just the phones.

I dont even think Samsung should be listed among companies which make expensive phones. What about Apple and Blackberry?

Compare Samsung, Apple and BB phones of similar specs. Then you'll know that Samsung phones are not that over-priced.
That's correct. Maybe Apple and Rim have their products (phones) more expensive as a result of the fact that, they don't diversify. Theirs is just a single product built around a single brand.
Re: Why Are Samsung Phones So Expensive? by austinsmat(m): 10:06pm On Jan 05, 2013
And LG E900 too
Re: Why Are Samsung Phones So Expensive? by luluosas(m): 10:10pm On Jan 05, 2013
austinsmat: And LG E900 too
Well, I don't know of any because I don't use one for now. Please, refer to the advice of @Toelu here
and I hope, it will work for you. Thank you.
Re: Why Are Samsung Phones So Expensive? by ciphoenix: 12:43am On Jan 06, 2013
luluosas:
Well, I don't use any for now but, I am just concern over the price difference.
i assure you sir, its justified
Re: Why Are Samsung Phones So Expensive? by luluosas(m): 11:59am On Jan 06, 2013
ciphoenix: i assure you sir, its justified
OK. Thank you.
Re: Why Are Samsung Phones So Expensive? by francis247(m): 3:24pm On Jan 06, 2013
austinsmat: And LG E900 too
Or download Screen Capture from playstore
Re: Why Are Samsung Phones So Expensive? by texazzpete(m): 10:50pm On Jan 06, 2013
Samsung provides better build quality, more reasonable certainty of software update and several other neat stuff. You get what you pay for...

1 Like

Re: Why Are Samsung Phones So Expensive? by Youngpo413: 8:52am On Feb 19, 2013
Babanhajiya: I am a Tecno fan but i can't compare tecno phones with samsung phones, apart from performance, quality also matters. You can use a samsung phone continuesly for more than 5yrs but i don't think a tecno phone can last for more than 2yrs due to the substandard materials used in making the phone hence the huge diffrence in price.

Tecno apart,what of LG?most LG smartphones have better specs than samsung and are sold cheaply too,samsung are overpricing their products because they are on top forgeting that nothing last forever,between tecno N3 and galaxy pocket there is no huge difference.

People rarely talks about LG android smartphones,aren`t their product good?cuz I intend to buy one soon.
Re: Why Are Samsung Phones So Expensive? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Apr 22, 2017
Shoe get Size..., Okirika get Quality

(1) (Reply)

Samsung M62! 7000mah Battery Monster? / Nokia Lumia 1520 Slim Quad Core Windows Phone / MTN Missed Call Alert Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.