Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,980 members, 7,956,662 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 04:30 PM

Tribunal Annulled The President Of The Senate, David Mark. Will Yardua Be Next? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tribunal Annulled The President Of The Senate, David Mark. Will Yardua Be Next? (971 Views)

If Elections Are Held 100 Times , Mark Will Always Win -PDP Tells Onjeh / Bukola Saraki Is The Senate President Of The 8th NASS / IBB: The Real Reason I Annulled June 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tribunal Annulled The President Of The Senate, David Mark. Will Yardua Be Next? by smile4kenn(m): 5:37am On Feb 24, 2008
The David Mark case is seen as creating further political uncertainty because under the constitution, he would take over temporarily as national president should Mr Yar'Adua and the vice-president be forced to step down.
Opposition candidates had contested the result amid reports of irregularities.

This latest decision comes only days before another tribunal rules on whether President Umaru Yar'Adua should keep his job.

Last year's national and state elections were widely seen as flawed after international observers dubbed them 'not credible'.

There were allegations of widespread vote-rigging and fraud in the poll - the first in which a civilian leader took over from another following decades of military rule.

The Benue tribunal has annulled the victories of all three senators from the state

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7261097.stm

David Mark is supposed to take Over if YArdua is Annulled on Tuesday.

What Message is this sending about Yardua's fate on Tuesday?
Re: Tribunal Annulled The President Of The Senate, David Mark. Will Yardua Be Next? by deor03(m): 5:54am On Feb 24, 2008
I think this just sending a message that the judiciary is gradually taking it's roots in Ngeria democracy. It's now left for the politicians to play the game by the rules. Politician should now know that they need to get our votes before assuming offices and for them to get our vote, they need to deal with real issues. Though democracy is a slow process but it is gradually flushing out 'the nigerian' way of doing thing.

I hope that yaradua wins on tuesday in the court, so that he would be able to strengthen the process a little bit more .
Re: Tribunal Annulled The President Of The Senate, David Mark. Will Yardua Be Next? by SkyBlue1: 10:26am On Feb 24, 2008
@ deor03, i am slightly confused though, how would the verdict going in Yaradua's favour on tuesday strengthen democracy? I am not saying we are in a comfortable situation, but how would ignoring such monumental election malpractices and ruling in favour of yaradua strengthen democracy? Please do tell,  smiley
Re: Tribunal Annulled The President Of The Senate, David Mark. Will Yardua Be Next? by deor03(m): 8:59pm On Feb 24, 2008
Sky Blue:

@ deor03, i am slightly confused though, how would the verdict going in Yaradua's favour on tuesday strengthen democracy? I am not saying we are in a comfortable situation, but how would ignoring such monumental election malpractices and ruling in favour of yaradua strengthen democracy? Please do tell, smiley

@ Skyblue,
Yaradua is the only president we have had so far that listens to court orders and ensures that they are followed to the letter. Throwing him out now might lead to another monster coming into power, thereby eroding the growing confidence and stance of the judiciary. It will take some time for BIG men to realise that the law equates us all.
Yaradua being there after tuesday will help this our new found tradition to sink into our hearts as a nation. This not to say i support rigging but i am just hoping that he WINS in court for the reason stated above.
Re: Tribunal Annulled The President Of The Senate, David Mark. Will Yardua Be Next? by SkyBlue1: 9:14pm On Feb 24, 2008
@deaor03, so you are saying that ignoring obvious wrong and failure will strengthen the judiciary? Isn't that a paradox? Won't annuling very obviously flawed elections actually have the effect of strengthening the judiciary? Removing the president of the biggest black nation on earth, how on earth won't that be a deterrent to the worst party in Nigeria to follow the 'Rule of law' slogan the the ruling party now ironically throw around? What you are saying to me is that turning around and ignoring something so flawed and wrong and pretending that it did not happen is for our own good. I am sorry, but i really don't see how it is. It is like ignoring a car crash or ignoring fire in your house and saying it did not happen while your house continues to burn. PDP needs to be thought that they can't keep bullying the nation into power. If we don't stop it now then please when do we stop it? Please, when?
Re: Tribunal Annulled The President Of The Senate, David Mark. Will Yardua Be Next? by deor03(m): 10:23pm On Feb 24, 2008
Threading with caution is important for stability'!,!. It's a gradual process. Things don't change over night, change management is very difficult in our type of country. Look beyond the theory and be practical.
Re: Tribunal Annulled The President Of The Senate, David Mark. Will Yardua Be Next? by SkyBlue1: 10:40pm On Feb 24, 2008
Sorry, but i still don't get what your stand is on this. So are you saying the sham elections should be up held?
Re: Tribunal Annulled The President Of The Senate, David Mark. Will Yardua Be Next? by deor03(m): 11:26pm On Feb 24, 2008
No, that the judgement should go in favour yaradua cheesy
Re: Tribunal Annulled The President Of The Senate, David Mark. Will Yardua Be Next? by SkyBlue1: 11:33pm On Feb 24, 2008
Which is equivalent to upholding the sham elections
Re: Tribunal Annulled The President Of The Senate, David Mark. Will Yardua Be Next? by deor03(m): 11:36pm On Feb 24, 2008
Not if the court says otherwise.
Re: Tribunal Annulled The President Of The Senate, David Mark. Will Yardua Be Next? by SkyBlue1: 11:47pm On Feb 24, 2008
lol, you seem to continually contradict yourself or maybe i am not understanding you. i will call it a day for myself on this thread. You seemed to be against the court nullifying the election of yaradua, and i said that would be ignoring an obvious wrong. I asked if that meant you want the sham elections to be upheld as ok, you said not if it goes in yaradua's favour? You seem to be contradicting yourself or maybe i am not understanding you. Anyway, i think i will call it a day on this thread, good night and god bless.  smiley

(1) (Reply)

Nnpc Is Bankrupt.” / Why Are Nigerians Happy That Mend Is Destroying The Country? This Baffles Me! / Nigeria’s External Debt Reaches $3.8b

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.