Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,336 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:55 AM

Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) (10104 Views)

Pastor Enters Into Church On A Hoverboard (Photos) / See What Most Nigeria Do On Saturday Night Before Going To Church On Sunday / 10 Reasons Why Lagosians Go To Church On Sundays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by virozuru(f): 3:47pm On Apr 27, 2006
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by spikedcylinder: 5:43pm On Apr 27, 2006
I dont know why many christians dont admit that saturday is the true sabbath and it was changed to sunday for political reasons.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by goodguy(m): 6:19pm On Apr 27, 2006
The Sabbath day is not a fixed day per say. Though some would argue that God rested on the seventh day (sabbath day), which is known to be saturday.

But the definition of 'sabbath' I got from the dictionary online, shows that this varies according to individual religions.

1. The seventh day of the week, Saturday, observed as the day of rest and worship by the Jews and some Christian sects.

2. The first day of the week, Sunday, observed as the day of rest and worship by most Christians.

n : a day of rest and worship: Sunday for most Christians; Saturday for the Jews and a few Christians; Friday for Muslims.

However, the hebrew verb for the word is "Shabbath", which means 'To rest from labour'.

Therefore, I feel the Sabbath day is simply a day one presonally sets aside to rest from labour; but is that actually possible? grin  Even on the different so-called sabbath days, people still work.

My point - The day the Sabbath is observed all boils down to individuals (religions' ??) preferences, and not a fixed day.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by 4getme1(m): 6:53pm On Apr 27, 2006
spikedcylinder:

I don't know why many christians don't admit that saturday is the true sabbath and it was changed to sunday for political reasons.

Hi spikecylinder,

I'm one of those many Christians who disagrees with you - because nowhere in the Bible does it show that "the true sabbath was changed to sunday for political reasons." Sunday being the first day of the week was the normal day early Christians gathered for worship (Matt. 28:1, Mark 16:9 and Acts 20:7) - not based on political reasons - but rather, because it was on that day that Christ rose from the dead, demonstrating the follwoing things:

(a) His victory over Satan, sickness and death (I Thes. 4:14)

(b) that He was indeed the Son of God (Rom. 1:4)

(c) the establishing of a better covenant based on better promises (Heb 8:6)

(d) His sovereignty as Head of a new creation, for old things have passed away. ( I Cor. 15:20)

Christ rose on the first day of the week - Christians gathered on that day for worship - and the practice continues down to this day, whether politics or not.

Regards.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Seun(m): 3:48am On Apr 28, 2006
Christians who follow the teachings of Paul do not follow Sabbath. That's the simple biblical point of view. aAd yes, the Sabbath is on Saturday the Seventh day of the week. but it doesn't apply to Christians (says Paul)
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by virozuru(f): 4:08am On Apr 28, 2006
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Seun(m): 10:03am On Apr 28, 2006
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Colossians%202:8-17&version=9;

16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by TV01(m): 11:06am On Apr 28, 2006
Hi Nwoke,

Thanks very much for your last post.

Christians, some of you love the law so much, you've morphed into Jews. Beware the leaven of the pharisees grin .

My advice (which you are not obliged to follow); don't burn yourselves out ushering at three services on a Sunday, carrying the "MOG's" bible, or otherwise working yourselves into the ground serving those religious institutions that some pranksters call church.

I rest my case (pun intended smiley ).

God bless
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by spikedcylinder: 4:41pm On Apr 28, 2006
4get me,your references do not justify your reasons.If you are indeed in search of the truth,you will find out that early worshipers of Christ changed the sabbath to sunday to suit their previous religiousl beliefs.Some christians admit it, though many(due to inabilty to look beyond the given)disregard this hard fact.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by virozuru(f): 5:03pm On Apr 28, 2006
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Free(f): 6:46pm On Apr 28, 2006
going to church on saturday or sunday!!!!!!
even though the right day of worship is on saturday
does that mean that only those who go to church on saturday
will go to heaven?? , you can go to heaven still if you dont go on the sabbath
so then the day of worship dont even matter!!! cheesy
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by virozuru(f): 9:08pm On Apr 28, 2006
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Free(f): 9:23pm On Apr 28, 2006
yes you would get punished if you sin intentionaly
but if you dont know then. undecided undecided, thats why i dont think only
ppl who go to church on the sabbath will be the ones going to heaven
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Seun(m): 9:39pm On Apr 28, 2006
According to the new testament, Christians are not supposed to worry about Jewish customs.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Free(f): 9:48pm On Apr 28, 2006
ermm okay
where exactly in the new testament is this??
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Seun(m): 10:05pm On Apr 28, 2006
Did you read the [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Colossians%202:8-17&version=9;]complete passage[/url] I linked?. i'm getting rusty, but i can find others.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Free(f): 10:09pm On Apr 28, 2006
lol
no i didnt even see it, to read it!!!! grin
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by Softee(f): 11:32pm On Apr 28, 2006
Does it matter? I mean it does but as long as you are giving God all the praise and adoration and doing the right thing, hes happy!
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by goodguy(m): 1:06pm On Apr 29, 2006
virozuru:

use your bible for references, not the dictionary.

What else do you want to hear? You asked for Questions, comments, etc and I've given mine. Whatever references I have used does not matter here. If you're looking for Bible references, then tell me where in the Bible that says "You must go to church on saturday", since that's what you want to prove.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by 4getme1(m): 1:23pm On Apr 29, 2006
spikedcylinder:

4get me,your references do not justify your reasons.If you are indeed in search of the truth,you will find out that early worshipers of Christ changed the sabbath to sunday to suit their previous religiousl beliefs.Some christians admit it, though many(due to inabilty to look beyond the given)disregard this hard fact.

Please could you be so kind to show me your own references for your assertions of these "hard facts"? TY.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by 4getme1(m): 1:26pm On Apr 29, 2006
Now for those who have been complaining about my replies, let me settle some important matters.

virozuru:

please re read these quotes again, and when you quote, make sure that is exactly what it says.

Christ's resurrection demonstrates the following:

(a) His victory over Satan, sickness and death - (I Thes. 4:14 -"For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him."wink. You cannot speak of Jesus' resurrection if He was not victorious over death. There's no speaking of victory over Satan either if the resurrection is not a fact, because Satan in scripture is referred to as "him that had the power of death, that is, the devil" (Heb. 2:14). And His victory over sickness is also demonstrated by His resurrection (see Acts 4:10 - God raised Jesus from the dead, and by Him, that is Jesus, the sick man stood whole before the crowd, demonstrating Jesus was victorious over sickness - yes?). Other verses that speak of Christ's victory as thus demonstrated are: Acts 2:24 - "Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it."

Perhaps, you got thrown off because my first piece was just an outline and not indepth; but I Thes. 4:14 shows that Jesus resurrection is also for our benefit - people will be raised victorious over Satan, sickness and death just becuase Jesus rose again.

(b) that He was indeed the Son of God (Rom. 1:4 - "And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead"wink. Are we still confused about this one? It's clear and speaks for itself, isn't it? So, no elaborations needed.

(c) the establishing of a better covenant based on better promises (Heb 8:6 - "But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises."wink "Now hath He obtained" - when did He obtain this more excellent ministry established upon better promises? Compare with Heb. 13:20 - the better promises are ratified by the blood of Jesus Christ and brought into effect when God brought Him again from the dead. If Jesus had not risen from the dead, we could as well just forget about the New Covenant.

(d) His sovereignty as Head of a new creation, for old things have passed away. ( I Cor. 15:20 - "But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept"wink. Look at that verse again - could we ever have the hope of our own resurrection if Christ was not first risen? Others were raised from the dead in the past - Elijah raised a child back to life (I Kings 17:22) and before Jesus died, He also raised a widow's son to life (Luke 7:14-15). But the resurrection is not the same thing as those earlier cases; Jesus' resurrection is spoken of in Scripture as the firstfruits of them that slept (that is, first of a kind of a new season). When you study that passage on the resurrection, it clearly says that Christ is the firstfruits of those who will be raised: "But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming." (1Cor. 15:23). He is the first, the Head, the Sovereign of this new creation to be raised from the dead.

I only made a sketch or summary in my first reply; but in explaining them I hope your hearts are no longer troubled.

virozuru:

there is no place in the bible at all that changed the sabbath day (seventh day) to sunday. it was changed through man, not through God. Chirst rose on the first day, yes He did, but never once did it say that because he rose on the first day of the week, that we should worship on that day.

Now my answer is: first, the day of worship should not be such a problem to us. The disciples had a reason for gathering on the first day of the week because it was significant to them - and to us. We are not Jews but Christians; neither are we under the OT covenant of the seventh day observance. It is a clear fact of scripture that it was on the first day of the week that Jesus met with the gathered disciples and blessed them with peace - "Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you." (John 20:19). It is true there's no commandment in the NT about the day of gathering, and if the disciples gathered on the first day of the week (Sunday), why is that a problem to anyone?

Second, the complaint that Christ never said that we should worship on the first day simply misses the point. If you are waiting for such a NT explicit commandment, you'll never find one. Even so, did Christ command believers to gather for Christian worship on Saturday, or on any other day for that matter? Those asking for Saturday as the right day of worship should kindly do us the favour of showing us where in the NT we are commanded to do so.

Regards.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by goodguy(m): 1:29pm On Apr 29, 2006
Thank you my brother!
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by virozuru(f): 1:53pm On Apr 29, 2006
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by goodguy(m): 2:00pm On Apr 29, 2006
virozuru:

@Goodguy:

Here is where it says you should go to Church on Saturday.

Exodus 20:8-11

Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy. Six days shall thoult labour and do all they Work. But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God,

If you don't know what this is a part of, it is the ten Commandments. And remember ifyou break one commandment, you break all 10 commandments.

And as you can see, the seventh day is Saturday, not Sunday.

I am not here to argue about whether Saturday or Sunday is the sabbath day. Rather, I only want to let you know that the day that the Sabbath is observed varies according to individual religions. You definitely won't quote Exodus 20 to a muslim, would you?

BTW, some would argue that Sunday is the 7th day of the week. What do you say to that?
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by virozuru(f): 2:02pm On Apr 29, 2006
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by virozuru(f): 2:09pm On Apr 29, 2006
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by goodguy(m): 2:15pm On Apr 29, 2006
I asked you to show me where the Bible says, "You must go to church on Saturday", not "The seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God". If we're to consider that, then what would you say to those that do not take Saturday as the seventh day? That's exactly what I'm driving at.

BTW, I'm sure when that commandment was given, there was nothing like "Monday" or "Tuesday". Those days sure had the names they were called.

virozuru:

But in response to your second response, the Muslims study from the Quran which is their holy bible. The Muslim religion in man made, so the Quran is man made. Christianity is not man made as you can see. The Muslim religion is mentioned nowhere in the Holy Bible.
I wonder where you got this fact from. I definitely wouldn't want to start any anti-religion debates here.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by virozuru(f): 2:20pm On Apr 29, 2006
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by 4getme1(m): 2:26pm On Apr 29, 2006
virozuru:

You still have not answered my question. The resurrection of Christ has nothing to do with the change of the Sabbath day. I am still waiting for you to show me where it says, through the MOUTH OF GOD, that the sabbath day was changed from Saturday (seventh day) to Sunday (first day), not about the demonstration of Christs' ressurection, because this in no way demonstrates the change of the Sabbath day.

I'm still amazed up until now that you can afford to be this polarised. No offences meant, but if you're rolling your eyes, I'm staggered too.

Listen my dear, please show me in Exo. 20:8-11 that you just quoted where it says "you should go to Church on Saturday". I'll kindly wait for you to show me those words in quotation marks as you have told us here on the Forum.

Second, please read my inputs again - nowhere did I state that "the sabbath day was changed from Saturday (seventh day) to Sunday (first day)."  Perhaps you and your group read that big word ("changed"wink into my replies: I never used the word 'changed' to indicate that I agree the Sabbath was changed from Saturday to Sunday, but rather shared what I saw in scripture that the disciples did - they gathered on the first day of the week, Sunday as we know. The reasons? Go back and carefully read my replies. If you simply accept scripture in what it says, your problem will be minimised.

Besides, you also have not answered my question - I asked you to kindly do us the favour of showing us where in the NT we are commanded to worship on Saturday. Exo. 20:8-11 is in the Old Testament, not the NT. Unless you want to call yourself a Jew, then I can understand. But please, show me the NT quote for your Saturday.

Blessings.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by virozuru(f): 2:26pm On Apr 29, 2006
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by 4getme1(m): 2:28pm On Apr 29, 2006
I guess he knew what names of the week correspond to which day. Thing is, slow down and answer my question. TY.
Re: Going To Church On Saturday (the True Sabbath Day) by goodguy(m): 2:29pm On Apr 29, 2006
virozuru:

When was the seventh day of worship changed to the first day of worship through the mouth of God?

The same day people started considering "Sunday" as the sabbath day. Afterall, what's important to God is that the Sabbath day is observed. The day it is observed does not really matter to him.

And before you ask me when Sunday started being considered Sabbath day, I suggest you read 4get_me's post again as regards that.

Buttom line:

The day of worship should not matter to us. What is important is that the Sabbath is observed, even if it is on a Wednesday.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Don't Want Evil Prophecy Concerning 2022 / Your Experience The First Time You Preached The Gospel / 20 Richest Pastors In The World Updated (with Seven Nigerians)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.