Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,495 members, 7,812,532 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:52 PM

Can a selfless and modest man ever be Governor in Nigeria??? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can a selfless and modest man ever be Governor in Nigeria??? (762 Views)

Ikpeazu's Failure To Pay Tax Makes Him Unfit To Be Governor - Supreme Court / Buhari’s Modest Farm Vs. Obasanjo Farm / Agbaje’s Camp Tackles Fashola, Tinubu For Saying He's Too Old To Be Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can a selfless and modest man ever be Governor in Nigeria??? by KnowAll(m): 9:56pm On Jan 08, 2013
When I was growing up, a neighbour of ours became a commissioner in Ogun State, the gentleman took the task like a regimented sergeant-major and performed his duties to the best of his abilities. Before he became a commissioner in onanbanjo's cabinet in 1979, he was using a Mercedes Benz 230 regular shape, when he finished his assignment he came back to Ibadan and continued using the same old car until his death. Not a penny less not a penny more.(he was brutally ransacked and jerked up by the Idiagbon/Buhari Junta but they realise the guy came out of government poorer than when he went in, so they let him go).

I was opportune to ask him about his service to his state, and he said categorically that he took the duty as a national service, which he did with all his might holding on to the mantra that the fear of God was the beginning of wisdom.

I asked him did he ever come across bribery whilst discharging his duty, he said many times, but declined such entreaties and warned the initiators that if it ever happens again he would call the cops on them, even the 10% percenters he declined vehemently. I looked at this gentleman and said to him, u are a rare dying breed in present day Nigeria, insisting that he his one of the last remaining sincere dinosaur of esteem virtue left in this country, he said well I am sure your generation would have men and women whose virtue and uprightness would be more outstanding than his, men and women who will put community service first b4 any self aggrandizement.

That man's story made me think is it possible to have a Governor who would be selfless to self, and sincere and faithful to his state in present day Nigeria. A man who would probably work away from the job after 8 years of service to the state poorer than when he got the job. I believe if a Governor spends all money accrued to a state judiciously and wisely that state would not only be Eldorado but it would be a cynosure of honesty, truthfulness and sincerity.

I pray such a man come in my life time, is it possible in present day Nigeria folks? Considering the wide spread corruption that has become part of our mainstay, does that kind of individual exist? What are your take in this subject ladies and gentlemen? undecided
Re: Can a selfless and modest man ever be Governor in Nigeria??? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jan 08, 2013
Re: Can a selfless and modest man ever be Governor in Nigeria??? by KnowAll(m): 10:49pm On Jan 08, 2013
Stop praying; you can be that man. Saddle up and be the miracle that you wish for.

By the way, 1st Comment, 1st Page, so I give all the undivided glory to Jesus Christ.

99.99% OF D PEOPLE on this forum screaming blue murder, would behave like the Odili's and Ibori's that is why there is only one comment on a topic that touches the moral fabric of our society. What we should endeavour to acheive is to make one state out d 36 states have such a selfless man who is ready to serve his state whole-heartedly.
Re: Can a selfless and modest man ever be Governor in Nigeria??? by danjohn: 11:03pm On Jan 08, 2013
What we need in Nigeria are strong institutions that deter people from engaging in corrupt practices. Unfortunately, strong institutions require selfless leaders to build them. That is why I supported Buhari in the last election. At the end of the day a President who wines and dines with Anenih and Alams is not going to transform Nigeria. The most he can do is make some minor tweaks. After his tenure is over, we would still be at risk of having a greedy politician replacing him and embezzling all our resources.
Re: Can a selfless and modest man ever be Governor in Nigeria??? by Hardetutu01(m): 11:46pm On Jan 08, 2013
I Adetutu vow to serve ma country wit gr8 humble nd respect nd never to steal one dime while in office
Re: Can a selfless and modest man ever be Governor in Nigeria??? by KnowAll(m): 12:36pm On Jan 09, 2013
even if u don't steal a kobo d pension and severence payout Governors get is very genorous so why steal then
Re: Can a selfless and modest man ever be Governor in Nigeria??? by KnowAll(m): 3:50pm On Jan 09, 2013

(1) (Reply)

Osun Demolishes 3,000 Public School Buildings / Nigeria’s Centenary May End Union —PRONACO / We Want To Stop Nigeria From Becoming A One-party State— Okorocha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.