Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,850 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:15 AM

Treatment For Stunted Growth And Kwashiorkor. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Treatment For Stunted Growth And Kwashiorkor. (1362 Views)

Four Traditional Ways To Treat Kwashiorkor / Fujifilm Drug Eyed As Possible Treatment For Ebola Virus / Yam Consuming Areas Of Africa Have A High Incidence Of Kwashiorkor. True? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Treatment For Stunted Growth And Kwashiorkor. by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jan 09, 2013
I'm not sure I've seen real life images of kwarshiokor ridden and starving children besides cnn and UNDP relief campaign adverts until 2 days ago when I stepped into the house to find one sitting on a little plastic chair almost his sizelipsrsealed I mean how could a 7 or 8 year old sit comfortably on a chair made for toddlers undecided

I was shocked beyond belief at the sight and I really don't want to resign to the fact that he might not grow any taller than 4ft to 5ft maximum.

I don't know his exact height right now but he stand at about 3ft. undecided

I believe he needs treatment especially for his absurd looking protruding belly.

So doctors in the house, what kind of diet or medications would you recommend for in house treatment.
****I'm sad to say the boy is more like a house boy and I feel so sorry for his parents to have given him up for servitude at such a young age*****

Smh @ why poor people give birth to children just to come and suffer in this crazy world.

Thank's for your suggestions.

Might add a few pictures of his belly tomorrow.
Re: Treatment For Stunted Growth And Kwashiorkor. by sharpboyus(m): 12:07am On Jan 10, 2013
Should increase calories intake and lots of proteins.
Re: Treatment For Stunted Growth And Kwashiorkor. by Nobody: 4:39am On Jan 10, 2013
sharpboyus: Should increase calories intake and lots of proteins.
Are you sure that will help him?
Someone offline was suggesting we should first deworm him.
What about that?
Re: Treatment For Stunted Growth And Kwashiorkor. by sharpboyus(m): 5:18am On Jan 10, 2013
Dunno about deworm as it wouldnt make much difference but I do suggest getting him more calories and protein will correct kwashiorkor, if treatment is started early.
Calories are given first in the form of carbohydrates, simple sugars, and fats. Proteins are started after other sources of calories have already provided energy. Vitamin and mineral supplements are essential.
Since the person will have been without much food for a long period of time, eating can cause problems, especially if the calories are too high at first. Food must be reintroduced slowly. Carbohydrates are given first to supply energy, followed by protein foods. And try to let him drink as much milk as possible and food supplements will also help plus small small excercise.
It will be difficult for him to grow to his potential height and growth.. And another way is if they can take him to hospital , there is this injection they call growth hormone ..... Don't really remember what it's called but that can also help and he will need to take that once in a day.

Sorry about my typo error.. Na sleep they cause am.
Re: Treatment For Stunted Growth And Kwashiorkor. by dominique(f): 10:47am On Jan 10, 2013
^^^ I think the poster meant the yound lad is severely malnourished not starved. A lot of protein should be incorporated in his diet since he's still growing (especially milk and eggs). No harm in deworming him since deworming is recommended for children every 6 months or so.
Re: Treatment For Stunted Growth And Kwashiorkor. by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jan 10, 2013
Thanks everyone, the boy is adjusting and doing great! He's sure getting good diet and I'm hoping he improves soon.

Haven't seen nothing like that in my life.

Will probably record his improvement with before and after pics.

Thanks again.

(1) (Reply)

"I Lost Both Arms And Legs While Taking Injection For Bigger Bottom With PHOTO / He needs help! Could this symptom be Ebola Virus. / Why Does The CDC Own A Patent On Ebola 'invention?'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.