Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,591 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:38 PM

1st Missionary Journey To Singapore - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 1st Missionary Journey To Singapore (895 Views)

My Ordeal With Thai Embassy And My Trip To Singapore / Nigerians Now Require Visa To Singapore! / How Do I Obtain A Visa To Singapore? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

1st Missionary Journey To Singapore by WestAfrican: 7:51am On Jan 10, 2013
As at 2007, 2008, Nigeria was considered visa free to Singapore perhaps as being a member of common-wealth nation.
When I arrived Malaysia in later 2007, some acquaintances I met then tried to soil my heart into believing that as a Nigerian, traveling out of Malaysia was more difficult than passing an elephant via the eye of a niddle. As an optimistic person, I didn’t allow that weigh me down instead I considered it a challenge.

Early 2008 during the Chinese New Year, my friend and I decided to visit Singapore as we had school holiday. We boarded a bus and traveled 6 hours from Malaysia’s capital Kuala-Lumpur to Singapore Woodlands boarder. Passing through Malaysia boarder was easier than ABC as we had valid 3 years study visa, so we got to the Singapore immigration. This young immigration lady collected my passport and 3 mins later we saw two uniform men who asked that we follow them. Without hesitation we followed rapidly since it was our first travel after hitting Malaysia moreso, we were eager to enter and explore the beautiful island country.
Well we followed this officers into an office and behold, we saw lots of other nationality probably from India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh etc. three (3) of these people were repatriated before my eyes immediately, my heart became curious of my fate. Few minutes later an officer in his late 50’s called my name, my heart started throbbing like a Monkey rescued from the 64 teeth of a Crocodile.

Before this office, this was our dialogue:

Officer: What is your purpose of visiting Singapore?
Me: In split of second I answered “Tourism”
Officer: What is your basic travel allowance (BTA)
Me: USD$ 450 plus RM500 which is equivalent to USD$170 at that time
Officer: I am sorry you can enter Singapore

I probed further to know the reason why I wasn’t allowed into Singapore and the officer said my BTA wasn’t sufficient for my 4 nights 5 days stay. I asked if I added more money would I still return to Singapore same day and the answer was YES. Since I wasn’t allowed into Singapore and the immigration was aware I was travelling with my friend, he too was denied entry.

Well we were led by another younger officer to the point where we caught the next bus to Malaysia Johor Bharu border.
While thinking what those acquaintances would say of our repatriation from Singapore, we felt ashamed of ourselves but then, we never let up. Immediately, we located a cash machine (ATM), withdraw some additional RM1000 before heading back to Woodlands immigration. I also rang a friend whom I rescued from the hands of dubious Nigerian while I was still in Nigeria. She told me to go to the immigration and ask them to ring her. With all confidence, we returned back to the immigration and after much verification, a 3 months visa was issued.

The moral here is: those who said it can’t be done should never discourage those that are doing it. Believe in your ability, work towards it and Jah will help you.

In my 2nd Missionary Journey to Singapore I will inform you while Nigerians aren’t allowed to enter Singapore.

1 Like

Re: 1st Missionary Journey To Singapore by onatisi(m): 4:35pm On Jan 10, 2013
wonderful write up.
never give up

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Boy Who Hid Himself In Aircraft Tyre Thought The Plane Was Going To America / In East Africa... Elephant Appeal: Tourist Cash Can Save The Elephant / General Indian Visa Inquiry (medical, Business, Studies And Tourism)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.