Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,475 members, 7,816,119 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:40 AM

What You Do Not Hear From The Pulpits - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What You Do Not Hear From The Pulpits (1154 Views)

8 Amazing facts about salvation you will not hear in many churches. / How Do You Hear From God? / 10 Reasons You May Not Hear The Whole Truth In The Church…. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What You Do Not Hear From The Pulpits by therationa(m): 11:04am On Feb 27, 2008
In the days I attended Christian churches, and now in my post-Christian incarnation, what I have notices is the selective cheery-picking manner in which ministers use the bible. Typically, they would select verse, here and there, to make a specific doctrine point. The majority of church-goers, not being very intellectually curious, never read these verses in their fully context.

The verses about tithes are a particular favourite in most of the churches I attended, for good reasons. Without the emphasis on these verses, the churches would be financially crippled. The verses about blessings, wealth, miracles are also favourites because these help entice the congregation to the notion of expected positive change in their circumstances.

But are there any verses in the bible that are deliberately avoided by the ministers on the pulpits? What would you like to hear preached about from the pulpits?

For instance, I would like to hear Number 31 preached from the pulpits, particularly the following verses;

15 "Have you allowed all the women to live?" he asked them.
16 "They were the ones who followed Balaam's advice and were the means of turning the Israelites away from the LORD in what happened at Peor, so that a plague struck the LORD's people.
17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man,
18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man

Would you like to hear these verses more in your churches?
Re: What You Do Not Hear From The Pulpits by joshjosh(m): 11:10am On Feb 27, 2008
a question i would like you to answer for me is how you think the churches should be funded and financed? thank you
Re: What You Do Not Hear From The Pulpits by therationa(m): 11:15am On Feb 27, 2008
joshjosh:

a question i would like you to answer for me is how you think the churches should be funded and financed? thank you

Well, if I had my way, these churches should be left to die out naturally. They do very little but promote ignorance to poor, simple and sometimes credulous people.
Re: What You Do Not Hear From The Pulpits by joshjosh(m): 11:23am On Feb 27, 2008
thank God you will never have your way. the church of God is always marching on and the gates of hell never prevails against it.

have a good day sir
Re: What You Do Not Hear From The Pulpits by therationa(m): 11:36am On Feb 27, 2008
joshjosh:

thank God you will never have your way. the church of God is always marching on and the gates of hell never prevails against it.

have a good day sir

Thank you sir, have a good day too.
Re: What You Do Not Hear From The Pulpits by jagunlabi(m): 2:17pm On Feb 27, 2008
No church will ever preach anything against it's own interest, from the pulpit.You wan commot chop from them mouth?
Re: What You Do Not Hear From The Pulpits by ty4real(m): 10:31am On Feb 29, 2008
@Therationa!
therationa:

In the days I attended Christian churches, and now in my post-Christian incarnation, what I have notices is the selective cheery-picking manner in which ministers use the bible. Typically, they would select verse, here and there, to make a specific doctrine point. The majority of church-goers, not being very intellectually curious, never read these verses in their fully context.

The verses about tithes are a particular favourite in most of the churches I attended, for good reasons. Without the emphasis on these verses, the churches would be financially crippled. The verses about blessings, wealth, miracles are also favourites because these help entice the congregation to the notion of expected positive change in their circumstances.

But are there any verses in the bible that are deliberately avoided by the ministers on the pulpits? What would you like to hear preached about from the pulpits?

For instance, I would like to hear Number 31 preached from the pulpits, particularly the following verses;

15 "Have you allowed all the women to live?" he asked them.
16 "They were the ones who followed Balaam's advice and were the means of turning the Israelites away from the LORD in what happened at Peor, so that a plague struck the LORD's people.
17 Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man,
18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man

Would you like to hear these verses more in your churches?

Haivng gone through your post, I must say that I am yet to get the point you are driving at! Why on earth do you think I would be interested to hear the verses you listed above in my church!You gotten the whole concept of church all mixed up and am appalled at the way you are going about it with your post!Obviously,you had it rough with a church you attended at on epoint in your life but I still dont see it as good enough reason to flaunt your gullibility here,every one knows that there are challants who parade themselves as church or whatever!Why you want to make a mountain out of it is what I am yet to grasp!or are you seeking attention here ni?Pls Get a Life cause you piss me off! angry angry
Re: What You Do Not Hear From The Pulpits by therationa(m): 10:58am On Feb 29, 2008
ty4real:

@Therationa!Haivng gone through your post, I must say that I am yet to get the point you are driving at! Why on earth do you think I would be interested to hear the verses you listed above in my church!You gotten the whole concept of church all mixed up and am appalled at the way you are going about it with your post!Obviously,you had it rough with a church you attended at on epoint in your life but I still don't see it as good enough reason to flaunt your gullibility here,every one knows that there are challants who parade themselves as church or whatever!Why you want to make a mountain out of it is what I am yet to grasp!or are you seeking attention here ni?Please Get a Life cause you piss me off! angry angry

My goodness. If you have read most of my posts on this forum and still not got my point, then shame on you.

I have not only got a beef about churches, I have got a COW about the institution that is religion and all of its ancillaries.

They promote credulity, gullibility, ignorance, superstition, fear, destitution, exploitation of the poor, retard social progress, bigotry, zealotry, impede scientific progress, etc, etc. Do you want me to give specific examples? Or can you thing up some for yourself?
Re: What You Do Not Hear From The Pulpits by Nobody: 11:06am On Feb 29, 2008
therationa:

My goodness. If you have read most of my posts on this forum and still not got my point, then shame on you.

I have not only got a beef about churches, I have got a COW about the institution that is religion and all of its ancillaries.

They promote credulity, gullibility, ignorance, superstition, fear, destitution, exploitation of the poor, retard social progress, bigotry, zealotry, impede scientific progress, etc, etc. Do you want me to give specific examples? Or can you thing up some for yourself?
@therationa
You keep forgeting to add that communists in Russia murdered over 20 million people.
Communism also contributed to the irreversible decay of the Russian economy.

Communists believed in atheism, incredulity and rationalism------just like you do, therationa.

We worry for your future victims.
Re: What You Do Not Hear From The Pulpits by therationa(m): 11:54am On Feb 29, 2008
imhotep:

@therationa
You keep forgeting to add that communists in Russia murdered over 20 million people.
Communism also contributed to the irreversible decay of the Russian economy.

Communists believed in atheism, incredulity and rationalism------just like you do, therationa.

We worry for your future victims.

You are thrashing about yet again. Deal with the subject of the post. Please have the decency to stay on topic.
Re: What You Do Not Hear From The Pulpits by Alphazee(f): 12:25pm On Feb 29, 2008
@therationa and joshjosh

therationa:
Well, if I had my way, these churches should be left to die out naturally. They do very little but promote ignorance to poor, simple and sometimes credulous people.

joshjosh:

Joshjosh, don't be too quick to thank your God on this issue. Without realising it, Therationa has had his way, way back and the momentum is still gathering. Those who exported the Bible to us have already SEEN the LIGHT and are retracing their steps. Today, fewer and fewer people (mainly the aged) in the Developed & More Enlightened Societies attend churches and the tithe seekers are already desperate grin grin

Below are just two, out of hundreds of self confessions by church organisations:

Church attendance across denominational lines has suffered a five-year decline and has sunk to its lowest level in two decades, according to research by the Barna Research Group of Glendale, California. "From the early '80s to the early '90s, there has been a definite change," said Bruce Hose, who was director of Sunday school programs for the 1-million-member Alabama Baptist Convention from 1985 to 1995. "Not only has attendance gone down but it is a graying culture, a graying congregation."
Details @http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1058/is_n26_v113/ai_18720688

Mount Pleasant church cries for help. Years of decline in attendance has wrecked havoc on programming, finances, and morale. , Mount Pleasant is not alone. 70% of churches in America are plateaued or in decline.
See http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewarticle.asp?AuthorID=2751&id=8750
Re: What You Do Not Hear From The Pulpits by joshjosh(m): 3:15pm On Feb 29, 2008
a joke. quoting 1995 figures. there are statistics and there are statistics. you can pluck figures from anywhere to justify anything. truth is you are going to pick up your bible before june and regularly go worship Christ because you and what ever is giving you that confidence is going to be deflated before your very eyes.

please keep this mail because you will soon need Christ and His church
Re: What You Do Not Hear From The Pulpits by Alphazee(f): 6:24pm On Feb 29, 2008
@joshjosh
a joke. quoting 1995 figures.
Joshjosh, this is no joke. I only used 1995 statistics to show you that the sign of the churches' impending death emerged years back and from the very source that brought the religion to you grin .

Ofcourse if you need more current data, I've come across millions. Try these:

A Chapel Converted int Modern Apartment:
The decline in church attendance over the last several decades has meant that countless churches across the Netherlands have lost their function. They are crumbling, are demolished, or are put to new uses,
source: http://freshome.com/2008/01/22/a-chapel-converted-into-a-modern-apartment/

State of the Canadian Church in 2008:
Church attendance in Canada is declining rapidly. Atheism is rising. Christian moral values are being replaced by secular ones. Canada is no longer a Christian nation, and Canadian Christians will soon be a persecuted minority
source: http://www.canadianchristianity.com/nationalupdates/071206state.html

Statistics are now confirming something common sense already told us; most people stay home on Sundays rather than attending church worship services.
source: http://rebeccabarnes1..com/2006/05/how-to-address-church-attendance.html

The decline in Church attendance recorded over the past 40 years of Sunday Mass
Attendance Censuses has brought out an enormous response from people in opinions, plans
and actions to strengthen our Catholic faith.
source:http://www.maltachurch.org.mt/Press/2007/Falling%20Church%20Attendance.pdf

Episcopal Church’s lost 50,804 members in 2006 while attendance fell by 21,945, the Episcopal Church’s national offices reported last week.
source: http://geoconger./2007/11/10/more-pressure-to-postpone-lambeth-conference-cen-110907-p-6/

I can go on and on grin grin grin grin
Re: What You Do Not Hear From The Pulpits by therationa(m): 6:30pm On Feb 29, 2008
Alphazee:

@joshjoshJoshjosh, this is no joke. I only used 1995 statistics to show you that the sign of the churches' impending death emerged years back and from the very source that brought the religion to you grin .

Ofcourse if you need more current data, I've come across millions. Try these:
source: http://freshome.com/2008/01/22/a-chapel-converted-into-a-modern-apartment/
source: http://www.canadianchristianity.com/nationalupdates/071206state.html
source: http://rebeccabarnes1..com/2006/05/how-to-address-church-attendance.html
source:http://www.maltachurch.org.mt/Press/2007/Falling%20Church%20Attendance.pdf
source: http://geoconger./2007/11/10/more-pressure-to-postpone-lambeth-conference-cen-110907-p-6/

I can go on and on grin grin grin grin

Alphazee, thankx for adding these links; Whilst I had know about this, I had never actually looked into the figures. smiley
Re: What You Do Not Hear From The Pulpits by joshjosh(m): 3:03pm On Mar 02, 2008
you guys crack your heads over things that should not bother you too much. did you see anything about an african church or black majority church there?

the owner of the church knows what He wants his church to be and He is ca[pable of leading His church to increase anywhere.

as you know i don't do arguments so i am out of this one. you guys continue to do what you like. God loves you an He will get the glory of your life.
Re: What You Do Not Hear From The Pulpits by Alphazee(f): 10:51am On Mar 03, 2008
@joshjosh
you guys crack your heads over things that should not bother you too much. did you see anything about an african church or black majority church there?
What's your point?
While this trend should not bother us really, IT SHOULD BOTHER YOU!
I'm telling you that the Oyinbo[/i] that led you to the church has seen the light and has since begun to abandon you. You should be worried. Remember the story of the fly wey follow dead body reach grave, [i] grin grin grin grin
Re: What You Do Not Hear From The Pulpits by Horus(m): 11:26am On Mar 03, 2008
joshjosh:

The churches should all be closed instead of being funded and financed. The tithe scam has given rise to the proliferation of Churches today and most appalling of all is that the proliferation of Churches has in turn given rise to "Social Crimes" in the name of God. Example of this could be seen in the manner Christians are converting Christians from other Churches to boost the number of tithe payers in their own Church.
Re: What You Do Not Hear From The Pulpits by FMK(m): 11:41am On Mar 03, 2008
the church is not the place where you find Salvation  and Jesus was crystal clear  in his speech saying that  not everyone saying lord lord  is son of  God but whoever  acomplish his will   i think People  missunderstand what does word Church means. the word church does not mean Jesus or God  this is a congregation of people  together  with an objectif or Goal  to achieve  this can be  legal or ilegal   Crooks can Have  Church,  Drug lords can Have Church  demons can have church etc,    all these churches can use the name of jesus  this is to cover the truth hidden.   in reality, they  do not belong to jesus
Re: What You Do Not Hear From The Pulpits by Nobody: 1:34pm On Mar 03, 2008
therationa:

You are thrashing about yet again. Deal with the subject of the post. Please have the decency to stay on topic.
@therationa

I am very much ON topic. The Communists thrashed ALL churches and went on to murder 20 million people.

You, after thrashing the churches, how many million people do you plan to terminate
Re: What You Do Not Hear From The Pulpits by Horus(m): 1:48pm On Mar 03, 2008

therationa was banned for posting stuff attacking our is-lamic friends.

Where is the freedom of expression?
Re: What You Do Not Hear From The Pulpits by Nobody: 1:50pm On Mar 03, 2008
mockfu:

Imhotep, This is very insulting. I need not refute this. It's stupidity refutes itself.

BTW, mockfu = therationa. therationa was banned for posting stuff attacking our is-lamic friends.
@mockfu
Sorry about the ban.

There is nothing insulting in what I said. By thrashing religion/churches, you are dragging us back to 1917 - the year of the Communist revolution in Russia. Millions of people were murdered by the communists in the following years.

In other words, many people have had similar thoughts like you in the past - and this ultimately led them to commit atrocities.

(1) (Reply)

The Temples Of Satan / ‘5ex Chat’ Pastor Gets Sack after Texting Explicit Messages To Teenager / What Was The Purpose Of Noah's Flood ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.