Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,993 members, 7,866,729 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 01:36 AM

Benitez Explains Torres Swansea Shocker: He Had A Stomach Bug - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Benitez Explains Torres Swansea Shocker: He Had A Stomach Bug (449 Views)

Chelsea Vs Swansea (2 - 2) On 8th August 2015 / Christian Benitez Dies At 27 (Ex-Birmingham Striker) / Chelsea To Sell Torres For £15 Million ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Benitez Explains Torres Swansea Shocker: He Had A Stomach Bug by infotrust(m): 9:21pm On Jan 11, 2013
Chelsea interim manager Rafa Benitez has revealed that Fernando Torres was suffering from a stomach bug during his side's Capital One Cup defeat to Swansea City on Wednesday. Torres lasted 81 minutes of the 2-0 home loss before being replaced by new signing, Demba Ba, and was widely criticised for a below-par display.

However, Benitez has revealed that the Spaniard was in fact suffering from a stomach bug and suggested that his performance was impressive considering the circumstances.

Benitez told reporters: "I was there when he was with the doctor, needing tablets. Still he was playing with the team. When he starts scoring again the fans they will appreciate this.

"He was playing with this problem. You have a professional trying to do his best in this situation. I was really pleased with the attitude of Fernando.

"I am really pleased because he was doing this for the team. We had to manage the situation but I could not phone Michael Laudrup and say he was not fit."

Benitez also confirmed that Ba was suffering from a hamstring injury, so could not start the Capital One Cup clash in place of Torres.

"Ba couldn't play, he had a hamstring niggle," Benitez added.

"I would like to see all my players praised in the papers. But as a top level player you have to accept you can be criticised. He is a very good professional. He had the problem but he was still training and playing."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2013/01/11/3665091/benitez-explains-torres-swansea-shocker-he-had-a-stomach-bug?source=breakingnews&ICID=HP_HL_7

(1) (Reply)

Gareth Bale! New World Best Player Contender? / Carlos Tevez Given 250 Hours Of Community Service And £1,000 Fine / Uefa Champions League And Uefa Cup Draws

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.