Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,657 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:55 PM

How Do You Feel When Asked For A Tip? - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Do You Feel When Asked For A Tip? (5091 Views)

Remy's Response When Asked About Man Utd Opponents In Champions League (so Funny / Mysterious Huge Fish Found At The Tip 0f Eleko Beach...(pictures***) / How Do U Feel When You Start A New Topic, 24 Hours Later U See This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Feel When Asked For A Tip? by Curiouscity(m): 8:33pm On Jan 15, 2013
fork adict:

I share very similar sentiments with you on this. And sadly enough, it is the trend in naija. People as for tips for doing the same thing they were hired by their employees to do in the first place. like they are doing you a favour. Very very very very very disgusting attitude if you ask me. Worst culprits are the civil servants or federal parastatals. Jeez, those id.iots kinda compell you to give those tips by employing all sorts of frustrating tactics. Naija is really messed up!

Private businesses do it also, though the employees. 2011 I lodged 3 nights in a hotel in a SS state. On leaving, I left a 5K tip at the reception for all of them. I immagine, one person pocketed the cash. 2weeks later, I went there and was given the most cold treatment a customer service has given me in my life. My elder bros who later came to see me fell out with them. I was told some were sacked.

The point they do all these, yet we still blame the lootocrats(politicians) for corruptions. Every Di.ck, Tom n Harry want to make it sharp sharp in Naija!!
Re: How Do You Feel When Asked For A Tip? by mortee: 10:48pm On Jan 15, 2013
ayo_kenny37:

Infact I had wanted to start a thread on this sef.

The one that annoys me most bank securities asking 4 tip after u use d atm. I fink its a crazy naija mentality

Me too. I actually logged in to ask two questions only to find that they are on front page already.
About the tips, it became worse during the Christmas season and has gone on to deteriorate since the beginning of this year.
I experienced it in a boutique in Ikeja and a bookshop in Surulere. They now ask like: "Do Christmas/New Year for us now. Nothing is too small." It's truly annoying. Fine, they may not be earning very great salaries, but I think the proper thing is to do your job and let the customer decide if you are worth the tip or not.
Guards in bank when you go to use the ATM and the ones in fast food restaurants are the worst; like for you to use these places, you must be extra loaded.
Re: How Do You Feel When Asked For A Tip? by Nobody: 12:41am On Jan 16, 2013
Habeebpain: In Islam, it is forbidden to give bribe and to accept bribe. But if someone asks for a bribe before giving you what is rightly yours, such as the processing of a document or something similar, the sin is recorded for that individual and not the giver of the bribe.

On a more serious note, it is not right to give bribes or tips because someone has rendered a special service to you to the disadvantage of other individuals. Everyone has equal rights.
there's difference between the two,tips and bribe.
Re: How Do You Feel When Asked For A Tip? by Nobody: 12:45am On Jan 16, 2013
No Qualms: I went to a microfinance bank with someone yesterday. He was there to apply for loan. After the usual greetings, some members of the staff started speaking in a language he doesn't understand ( which is my language) that the guy is an aka-gum, he doesn't ever drop tips, he's an aka mara mma, etc, etc. I was wowed, like is it that they don't collect salaries or what.

When leaving, on getting to the bank's gate, the security men were like 'oga, anything for us'? He just told them he came to drop papers, and asked if they wanted some of it.

As for me, I don't think I've ever given anybody tip. It's your job, do it.
hmmm...i can sense who the 'someone' is grin
Re: How Do You Feel When Asked For A Tip? by navygrl: 3:53am On Jan 16, 2013
If you have to ask for a tip, you didn't earn it
Re: How Do You Feel When Asked For A Tip? by efe2luv: 4:45am On Jan 16, 2013
It is a rather sad practise in nigeria even at the airport everybody asks for tips....if u want "grease" servise....i mean fast and easy attention u have to pay o....but our credibility has really taken a down turn as even my foreign colleagues here tease me with it...its so sad...
Re: How Do You Feel When Asked For A Tip? by OCcool: 6:59am On Jan 16, 2013
I remember the experience i had when I did my hostel clearance in sch last yr. The porters told me 2 'find dem smtin' like buy wine 4 dem else they wouldn't sign my clearance form. I had 2 beg nd persuade dem b4 my form was signed. Dis is a very bad trend in nigeria
Re: How Do You Feel When Asked For A Tip? by adconline(m): 8:02am On Jan 16, 2013
The most irritating thing is when servers in restaurants and hotels withhold your change for just no reason. I usually ask for my change when they want to "die it" and I would in turn give it to a different person.
Re: How Do You Feel When Asked For A Tip? by Desloaaa(f): 11:33pm On Jan 16, 2013
Tip if u wna,d people asking to be tip'ed never coerced u.Na ur tip dem dey live on??hhhisss.Na d small change wey u wan drop dey make u vex bah?
Re: How Do You Feel When Asked For A Tip? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Jan 16, 2013
what in the world is this one saying? undecided undecided
Re: How Do You Feel When Asked For A Tip? by Originalsly: 11:49pm On Jan 16, 2013
If you ask you definitely would not get....and I will avoid going back to that place. People who work at restaurants etc are usually underpaid and the tips they receive is expected to make up their salary.But they should never ever be asking for tips....either the cashier add it on to the bill...10% or whatever of the cost of the meal....or you the customer give them whatever or nothing depending on the service they provide.
Re: How Do You Feel When Asked For A Tip? by Desloaaa(f): 12:03am On Jan 17, 2013
exactly wat u saw
Re: How Do You Feel When Asked For A Tip? by masterpiecer(m): 8:19am On Jan 17, 2013
Desloaaa: Tip if u wna,d people asking to be tip'ed never coerced u.Na ur tip dem dey live on??hhhisss.Na d small change wey u wan drop dey make u vex bah?

do you ask for tips?
Re: How Do You Feel When Asked For A Tip? by Nobody: 8:20am On Jan 17, 2013
masterpiecer:

do you ask for tips?
I'm sure she does grin grin
Re: How Do You Feel When Asked For A Tip? by masterpiecer(m): 8:25am On Jan 17, 2013
ItsModella:
I'm sure she does grin grin

still waiting on her to confirm it anyway undecided
Re: How Do You Feel When Asked For A Tip? by Desloaaa(f): 9:09am On Jan 17, 2013
ur final conclusion ryt?.ur tips has kept me til dis moment na,kpako minds
Re: How Do You Feel When Asked For A Tip? by masterpiecer(m): 11:16am On Jan 17, 2013
Desloaaa: ur final conclusion ryt?.ur tips has kept me til dis moment na,kpako minds

i'm not going against giving tips, as a matter of fact, i do offer tips when i feel like but wat i find irritating is when a service person ask for a tip...n i'm not saying its wrong to collect tips either

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bet9ja Has Ruined My Life! / Jelqing Is Ungodly / Saki Aluminum Pot Making- An Art Of Indigenous Technology

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.