Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,957 members, 7,952,851 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:42 AM

We Ought To Be Civil When Addressing The President Or Any Human Being. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Ought To Be Civil When Addressing The President Or Any Human Being. (704 Views)

Buhari And His Entourage After Addressing The UN General Assembly (Photos) / Nigerian President Or King Of The North?, By Femi Fani-kayode / Adams Oshiomhole Addressing The Press At Chatham After GMB's Speech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Ought To Be Civil When Addressing The President Or Any Human Being. by Debokan: 4:20pm On Jan 15, 2013
I hope we learn something positive from this.

I have observed with some degree of amusement, the wave of criticism and outrage that greeted the ill-timed ignition of President Goodluck Jonathan’s 2015 political campaign machinery. The campaign message – One good term deserves another – is especially humorous. Although Mr President has dissociated himself from the presidential campaign posters which recently flooded Abuja, a lot of frayed nerves still need to be calmed. Our president seems to have a special knack for rubbing us the wrong way, wittingly or unwittingly, and this unusual trait has no doubt enhanced his “popularity” with Nigerians especially the younger generation. Dr Goodluck Jonathan’s popularity is such that he has become the butt of several jokes and unsavoury comments in various circles, especially on social media – and that is very disheartening.

Nigerians are indeed a special breed of people. We have seen so much gloom and doom that we have learnt to see the humour in every situation, regardless of how bad it is. And that is good for us as it has been proven both by ancient philosophy and modern medical science that a happy heart is good medicine and a cheerful mind works healing. It however becomes a problem when we make ourselves happy at the expense of someone else – and that is what we do when we deride our president. It is amazing that some people would actually go to great lengths as to deliberately circulate text, cartoons, animated pictures, videos and internet-based applications for no other reason than to make a joke of the President, and in some cases, his dear wife and other public officials.

Dr Goodluck Jonathan’s reputation has been so battered that his cronies have resorted to Google adverts and other outrageous strategies to redeem his image in public space. I have often found myself assuming the role of an advocate especially on Facebook, when these vituperative statements and jokes become so vitriolic that I simply can’t stand them. Now, I know that I’ll incur the wrath of some persons by taking this position but I believe that our President and other public officials deserve our honour and respect – and this is not contingent on their performance. We must understand that we live in a world that is governed by universal laws and what goes around comes around.

Contemporary history in our nation has shown that given the opportunity, the most vociferous critics will not necessarily perform better. Am I advocating for passivity? The answer is an emphatic No! I believe that we must hold the government accountable and express our grievances whenever necessary. But what if we explore more constructive means to air our views and vent our opinions? Do we always have to drag someone’s name in the mud each time we have to express our dissatisfaction with their actions or inactions?

It will do us a world of good individually and as a nation if each of us recognizes that behind the cloak of public office is a human being like ourselves who is as vulnerable as we are, to malicious words and vindictive remarks. We may not like the president, but that does not detract from the fact that we ought to be civil when addressing him or any human being for that matter. Someone else’s action or inaction is no excuse to throw caution to the winds, breaking ourselves against universal laws in the process. Each Nigerian must learn to think, speak and act right even when the other fellow is wrong. If we must have a better Nigeria, we must have better Nigerians. God bless the President! God bless Nigeria!
http://www.ynaija.com/opinion-in-defense-of-president-goodluck-jonathan/
Re: We Ought To Be Civil When Addressing The President Or Any Human Being. by Cuckoo48: 4:30pm On Jan 15, 2013
Oh boy, ur going to get what ur looking for with this topic!. Oya, LET THE INSULTS BEGIN!!!!
.....(runs for cover)
Re: We Ought To Be Civil When Addressing The President Or Any Human Being. by Demdem(m): 4:45pm On Jan 15, 2013
Noted but not accepted. The retardeen doesnt give a damn about the people but his miserable cabal and fellow killer members. let him seek his respect from them.

1 Like

Re: We Ought To Be Civil When Addressing The President Or Any Human Being. by obi4eze(m): 5:21pm On Jan 15, 2013
Curses, insults and abuses are not good. They'll get us no where.
Re: We Ought To Be Civil When Addressing The President Or Any Human Being. by seanet01: 5:26pm On Jan 15, 2013
Jonathan is a F.O.O.L.I.S.H man like the dumb OP who opened this thread.
OP you are a B.A.S.T.A.R.D for telling Nigerians to stop insulting a monumental looter of all time.
P.H.U.C.K you
Re: We Ought To Be Civil When Addressing The President Or Any Human Being. by Debokan: 5:26pm On Jan 15, 2013
Thank you obi4eze, you just took the words out of my mouth.
It further shows the kind of persons we are.
Re: We Ought To Be Civil When Addressing The President Or Any Human Being. by free13: 5:29pm On Jan 15, 2013
Cuckoo48: Oh boy, ur going to get what ur looking for with this topic!. Oya, LET THE INSULTS BEGIN!!!!
.....(runs for cover)

grin grin grin
Re: We Ought To Be Civil When Addressing The President Or Any Human Being. by Debokan: 5:30pm On Jan 15, 2013
seanet01: Jonathan is a F.O.O.L.I.S.H man like the dumb OP who opened this thread.
OP you are a B.A.S.T.A.R.D for telling Nigerians to stop insulting a monumental looter of all time.
P.H.U.C.K you

Just re-read your post. I wonder what you have achieved by this insult
Re: We Ought To Be Civil When Addressing The President Or Any Human Being. by holyvirgin: 5:44pm On Jan 15, 2013
undecided
Re: We Ought To Be Civil When Addressing The President Or Any Human Being. by Wadeoye(m): 5:59pm On Jan 15, 2013
The OP wants to teach us how to relate with our leaders - is this for post graduates or under graduates? Me think the appropriate place to go for this kind of training/lecture is a creche. Even my daughter in nursery 2 will tell you she knows all that already.
Re: We Ought To Be Civil When Addressing The President Or Any Human Being. by Debokan: 8:35am On Jan 16, 2013
^^^
One cannot be too old to learn. Moreover when you see people throwing insults around, you cannot but mistake them for pupils at a creche.
Re: We Ought To Be Civil When Addressing The President Or Any Human Being. by seunfly: 8:49am On Jan 16, 2013
That is only when he himself and they themselves are civil.
Re: We Ought To Be Civil When Addressing The President Or Any Human Being. by seunfly: 8:59am On Jan 16, 2013
seanet01: Jonathan is a F.O.O.L.I.S.H man like the dumb OP who opened this thread.
P.H.U.C.K you

Debokan:
Just re-read your post. I wonder what you have achieved by this insult

Psycologicaly he has express his anger verbaly on his oppressor, atleast he won't tranfer it on others.
Have you ever wonder why we Nigerians don't go on rampage of shooting in public all in the name of anger like europe and america? It's because of this temporary anger mangements technique.
Re: We Ought To Be Civil When Addressing The President Or Any Human Being. by Debokan: 9:47am On Jan 16, 2013
seunfly:

Psycologicaly he has express his anger verbaly on his oppressor, atleast he won't tranfer it on others.
Have you ever wonder why we Nigerians don't go on rampage of shooting in public all in the name of anger like europe and america? It's because of this temporary anger mangements technique.
You seem to have made some sense here. But then MESS NO DEY SMELL IF NA YOU MESS AM. Imagine if you're are the target of these insults.
Re: We Ought To Be Civil When Addressing The President Or Any Human Being. by Nobody: 11:06am On Jan 16, 2013
Debokan: You seem to have made some sense here. But then MESS NO DEY SMELL IF NA YOU MESS AM. Imagine if you're are the target of these insults.

Debokan;

Whenever the President and the Commander in Chief of the Federal Republic of Nigeria treats Nigerians in a civil way Nigerians shall reciprocate!!!!

Nigerians are one of the most grateful people on earth just give them little of what they are yearning for!!!!!

Respect is Reciprocal!!!!

seunfly:
Re: We Ought To Be Civil When Addressing The President Or Any Human Being. by seunfly: 11:15am On Jan 16, 2013
Debokan: You seem to have made some sense here. But then MESS NO DEY SMELL IF NA YOU MESS AM. Imagine if you're are the target of these insults.
you think they care about what Nigerians think or says about them? Hell No!! If you want to know, i will advice you to go and read POWER, POLITICS & DEATH by segun adeniyi, read what Yaradua told his spoke parson when his image was being attacked in the media.
If so why can't you leave d agreave alone so that he can relieve himself from psycological tension inflicted on him by this peaple. Afterall we don't have therapist in Nigeria and if we do, many don't have the money to patronise them. even the available therapist even need therapy.
Re: We Ought To Be Civil When Addressing The President Or Any Human Being. by Nobody: 11:31am On Jan 16, 2013
donroxy:

Debokan;

Whenever the President and the Commander in Chief of the Federal Republic of Nigeria treats Nigerians in a civil way Nigerians shall reciprocate!!!!

Nigerians are one of the most grateful people on earth just give them little of what they are yearning for!!!!!

Respect is Reciprocal!!!!

shikena! If you respect me, I go respect you too. God no go vex.
Re: We Ought To Be Civil When Addressing The President Or Any Human Being. by Debokan: 11:32am On Jan 16, 2013
We may think they dont give a hoot about what insults people heap on them, but let's remember they're humans like us - with weaknesses.
Ultimately, do the abuses and insults make the 'insulter' better? It rather accomplishes the contrary.
Re: We Ought To Be Civil When Addressing The President Or Any Human Being. by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jan 16, 2013
Debokan: do the abuses and insults make the 'insulter' better? It rather accomplishes the contrary.

Psychologically,it makes the insulter better!!! It helps in managing stress,hypertension and anger!!!

seunfly:

temporary anger mangements technique.

the above matters!!!

(1) (Reply)

Armed Robbers Snatch Teachers Salaries In Isashi / Attack On Emir Of Kano,a Wake-up-call-ibb / Oko-baba Fire Disaster: Victims, NEMA Commend Fashola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.