Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,459 members, 7,819,670 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? (11501 Views)

It's Our Wedding Anniversary! Help Us Thank Jehovah. / Blind Man, 71, Slaps Pregnant Daughter-in-law Over Meal / High Increase In Divorce Rate In Our Society: Women The Cause, Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by evantical: 10:21pm On Jan 16, 2013
when we were growing up, saying thank you after each meal to our parents or any elderly person around was the norm,even if they are in in another room,you must walk in any say thank you. Wives do greet their hubands as well. Bt lately I have noticed that all these are being eroded in our own time. Is it tha it is an old fashion or people lacking home training?

1 Like

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by baby124: 10:30pm On Jan 16, 2013
evantical: when we were growing up, saying thank you after each meal to our parents or any elderly person around was the norm,even if they are in in another room,you must walk in any say thank you. Wives do greet their hubands as well. Bt lately I have noticed that all these are being eroded in our own time. Is it tha it is an old fashion or people lacking home training?

you mean after every meal you say thank you to your parents? Wow, where did they pick you from. Are they doing you a favor by feeding you or it is their responsibility as parents. I will chop clean mouth, even thief extra meat and drop the plate anywhere before running out to play ([size=4pt]this was before 12[/size]). You try sha.

3 Likes

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jan 16, 2013
evantical: lately I have noticed that all these are being eroded in our own time.

which your own time are you talking about or do you work in a restaurant?? how do you know that people don't say thanks after eating?? do you go house to house watching people as they eat?? my broda u beta say u don't greet in your home after meal, don't talk for others.

7 Likes

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jan 16, 2013
My hubby say thanks to me after each meal,since we got married till date.it seems relevant to him,but whether it is relevant to the society?that I cannot tell.

4 Likes

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by ferhyntorlah(f): 12:07am On Jan 17, 2013
For me, it is relevant. I am a saying thank you freak! Any little thing someone does for me, I say thank you. It might be very insignificant to the doer but to me, it's a big deal.

I used to say thank you to momsy after eating when I was much younger but I think with time, I lost it but later regained it when I paid a visit to my uncle few years back.

My aunt prepared lunch for us all and I observed that my cousin said "thank you mummy" after he finished his food. I instantly copied him and said the same to her.

To me, saying thank you to someone who prepared a meal is a way of showing appreciation. It means one is acknowledging the time, strength and resources consumed in making the meal.

Do you know how it feels to cook like 3/4 dishes and the heat emanating altogether is tiring, weakening and killing? Saying thank you to someone who just encountered this scenario goes a very long and deep way oh.

We all need to be appreciated. I grew up in an environment of appreciation so I exhibit it anywhere I go.

For those who cook for extremely large families, I'm sure you all know what saying thank you during/after a meal does for you.

For husbands who don't say such to their wives, please I implore you, try to imbibe this habit. There's no harm in trying.

Off Topic: To the engineers, architects and safety conscious individuals, please why is a ceiling fan/wall fan not installed in the kitchen? Thanks!

11 Likes

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by greatgod2012(f): 12:17am On Jan 17, 2013
Well, i will say it depends on d home training. Though some may see it as d parent's duty, but what if d parent refuse to perform his /her duty as expected.

As for me, my hubby thank me after every meal and as for my children, i've trained all of them to be saying thank you after every meal or even after being given anything, be it candy, biscuits, etc. Even my almost 2 years old baby, because he has been seeing his older ones doing it, he also says "thantu"(thank you) after being given anything to eat. Well, some may say its old school, but i love it like that........d last time i checked.....cooking is not an easy task and i will appreciate it if after all my effort in cooking, im appreciated back.
May God help us all.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Mamaflex(f): 10:33am On Jan 17, 2013
yes! when i finished eatin, i'll say "thanks" to my hubby who in reply wil say "thank God" who gave him d strength 2 provide d money n also gave d strength 2 prepare d food.

4 Likes

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 11:13am On Jan 17, 2013
baby_123:

you mean after every meal you say thank you to your parents? Wow, where did they pick you from. Are they doing you a favor by feeding you or it is their responsibility as parents. I will chop clean mouth, even thief extra meat and drop the plate anywhere before running out to play ([size=4pt]this was before 12[/size]). You try sha.

Loll @ chop clean mouth..but seriously, we were also taught during our childhood days...that also will teach my children, my hubby has started telling me thanks and I hope to continue the trend cool
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by somebody(f): 12:00pm On Jan 17, 2013
We say thank you after every meal - my husband and I were brought up to say a greeting after a meal. Actually we say a prayer to any older person around after eating but I guess the true culture is to say it to the person who provided the food. "There are several greetings I have heard being said including "your enemies will not kill you" said in the local dialect. I will definitely teach my kids to say thank you after a meal, it is good manners.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by slimyem: 12:38pm On Jan 17, 2013
I said them as a kid both in school and at home and i say them now when i get to stay over someplace and get to eat there but i have dropped saying it at home since so long.
..and No,I don't say "thank you" when/because someone's doing me a favour.I say it because it feels like a noble thing to do.
Showing appreciation/gratitude doesn't hurt even if they are your parents and itstheir duty to feed you.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by layorhaja: 2:29pm On Jan 17, 2013
I say thank you to my wife after after a meal. It is not easy for a woman to come back from work and go straight into the kitchen and cook. It is a way of being grateful. grin. Even though i give her the money to cook the food.

1 Like

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Geomac: 3:28pm On Jan 17, 2013
I still thank my wife after each meal.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Geomac: 3:47pm On Jan 17, 2013
layorhaja: I say thank you to my wife after after a meal. It is not easy for a woman to come back from work and go straight into the kitchen and cook. It is a way of being grateful. grin. Even though i give her the morning to cook the food.

God bless you sir.

1 Like

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by ferhyntorlah(f): 9:13pm On Jan 17, 2013
layorhaja: I say thank you to my wife after after a meal. It is not easy for a woman to come back from work and go straight into the kitchen and cook. It is a way of being grateful. grin. Even though i give her the morning to cook the food.

Sorry Mr Layorhaja, you mistakenly typed morning for money.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jan 17, 2013
Good Day and Thank You are two things I can say a thousand times over again.
I say Thank You to the Driver who takes me to work, Thank You even when I take a cab and pay for it, Thank You to the woman who slices my ugu even though I pay for it,
Thank You for the slightest favor, Thank You to my collegues even junior workers when they turn in their reports om time, thank you to my son for a kiss, Thank You is a wonderful short phrase, makes the reciepent light up and give you a great smile.
Thank You even to the waiter who serves us if we eat out.
Its one of my favorite phrases, another in Good Morning/ Afternoon/ evening.
I say it to everyone I meet even if I see you more than once.
It takes nothing from me but gives others so much Joy that I can't help but do it again and again.
Thank You is wonderful.

7 Likes

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by ferhyntorlah(f): 6:22pm On Jan 18, 2013
Debrief08, you've a sister in the "saying thank you department." Yesterday, I was engaged in a task and I asked my little cousin to help me out. Everytime he helped me in carrying out my request, I said thank you.

Infact, the boy got tired of hearing it that he said:"everytime thank you, thank you, thank you". I just looked at him and laughed, thinking in my heart he doesn't know the importance of such gesture.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by greatgod2012(f): 10:57pm On Jan 18, 2013
Lol @debrief&ferhyntorlah, my first kid, a boy.....6+ can use thank you and sorry to change your decision, he says thank you over virtually everything, even his aunty in school told me severally about his saying of thank you over everything,e.g......
My boy: are you going to d market?
Me: yes.
My boy: thank u ma.
My boy: i want to deficate.
Me: ok, go to d toilet.
My boy: im thru, thank u ma.
My boy: dad, where are u going?
Dad: to see a friend
my boy: thanks sir for answering me, etc, sometimes, i even get irritated of his thank u's, but will not talk, so as not to discourage him. Its a good thing to be appreciative.

4 Likes

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Gambrosia: 10:59pm On Jan 18, 2013
Nothing wrong. . . .all a matter of choice.

I JUST FIND IT 'BUSH' AND 'LOCAL'! kiss

The best way a child can thank me is to BRING HOME THE GOOD GRADES. . . .BE USEFUL TO HIMSELF/HERSELF AND TO SOCIETY . . . .and to be of good behaviour ONLY WHEN NECESSARY!

Not by parrotting old-fashioned cliches that have lost any perceived or conceived relevance in time or space! kiss

1 Like

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 1:28am On Jan 19, 2013
greatgod2012: Lol @debrief&ferhyntorlah, my first kid, a boy.....6+ can use thank you and sorry to change your decision, he says thank you over virtually everything, even his aunty in school told me severally about his saying of thank you over everything,e.g......
My boy: are you going to d market?
Me: yes.
My boy: thank u ma.
My boy: i want to deficate.
Me: ok, go to d toilet.
My boy: im thru, thank u ma.
My boy: dad, where are u going?
Dad: to see a friend
my boy: thanks sir for answering me, etc, sometimes, i even get irritated of his thank u's, but will not talk, so as not to discourage him. Its a good thing to be appreciative.

^^^Cute and funny at the same time grin nothing local about saying thank you IMO

.... I prefer a thank you compared to unsolicited I'm sorry.... Jeez that word drive me nuts when it wasn't really needed .. kinda eye service thing...why are you sorry tho? then they'd be mute angry

1 Like

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 3:58am On Jan 19, 2013
Bless you OP for the topic. I recently visited a friend whose mum is here on holiday. I ate one very nice fried rice at her place and when I finished I said THANK YOU. Her mother asked me where I came from, I told her and she was like hmmmm that she wished she had brought her children up the same way, cos she noticed her Igbo friends all did same with their kids. I was born and brought up in a Yoruba land and I have heard them say it a million times as well so it has nothing to do with tribe but household.

When I finish eating I thank my husband, it's like second nature you don't even know when you say it. As long as they are people older than me when I finish eating, I always thanked them, doesn't matter If they helped prepare the meal or not. I thank my parents after each meal till date. Both my parents say thank you to each other but in a very local and traditional way grin ......they'd clear their throats and say ...."you have done well (in igbo) " to each other

My sister inlaw thanks her husband(if we are visiting )and my husband after each meal.

2 Likes

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Lobi(f): 10:14am On Jan 19, 2013
We still say thaank you in my house till date,we have to also say thank you to elder ones when they are done eating the food ,we served to them.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:26am On Jan 19, 2013
It's good to appreciate after a good meal. I say it whenever I remember.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 10:26am On Jan 19, 2013
I stopped saying thank you to my parents after I had a problem with them when I was a teenager. Although I still say thanks when I eat in homes I'm visiting.
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 10:36am On Jan 19, 2013
baby_123:

This shows that ‎u lack home training and respect τ̲̅ȍ even announce ur foolishness on a social media without fear.@ OP Į̸̸̨ƭ is necessary the norn continues.I did Į̸̸̨ƭ as a kid and still do Į̸̸̨ƭ as a married man when I visit my mother and elderly relatives.its a sign of respect and giving tanks τ̲̅ȍ God.

11 Likes

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by profcanada(m): 10:38am On Jan 19, 2013
Na true talk
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by mutaalim(m): 10:42am On Jan 19, 2013
As for me I thank God first before thanking anyone (to finish a meal is not by our making) if not for God mercy on us
Regards
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 10:46am On Jan 19, 2013
debrief08: Good Day and Thank You are two things I can say a thousand times over again.
I say Thank You to the Driver who takes me to work, Thank You even when I take a cab and pay for it, Thank You to the woman who slices my ugu even though I pay for it,
Thank You for the slightest favor, Thank You to my collegues even junior workers when they turn in their reports om time, thank you to my son for a kiss, Thank You is a wonderful short phrase, makes the reciepent light up and give you a great smile.
Thank You even to the waiter who serves us if we eat out.
Its one of my favorite phrases, another in Good Morning/ Afternoon/ evening.
I say it to everyone I meet even if I see you more than once.
It takes nothing from me but gives others so much Joy that I can't help but do it again and again.
Thank You is wonderful.
This is lovely and makes pple want τ̲̅ȍ go the extra mile τ̲̅ȍ please ‎u.I do d same too and I can guess ‎u r a successful person cos pple will go thru any stress τ̲̅ȍ please ‎u. Į̸̸̨ƭ works for me.keep Į̸̸̨ƭ up

1 Like

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Libkid(m): 10:46am On Jan 19, 2013
Everly its relevant.since u thankGOD AFTER EACH MEAL Y CANT U THANK UR PARENTs,friend or hubby who gave u food
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by mutaalim(m): 10:49am On Jan 19, 2013
Libkid: Everly its relevant.since u thankGOD AFTER EACH MEAL Y CANT U THANK UR PARENTs,friend or hubby who gave u food
I also say Thank you to them as well, because he/she that does not appreciate his/her fellow human being can not appreciate God
Regards
Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by Nobody: 10:55am On Jan 19, 2013
Hmmn..its funny how values passed by parents sticks. Till now I still say thank you to my parents even though I cooked the food.

Unconsciously I say thank you to even the food vendor and to bus conductors after I get my balance or after I am served. It's part of me and I don't intend to stop.

2 Likes

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by catholy: 10:57am On Jan 19, 2013
my fiance is frm yoruba each time i greet his family members after eating they see it as a strange act. But its part of me i cant stop it cos thats the traininng i got frm my parent am an ibo

1 Like

Re: Saying ''thank You' After Meal Still Relevant In Our Society? by DJDOLA(m): 10:57am On Jan 19, 2013
thank for wat?because my parent give me food the next thing for me is 2 tell them thank u....mtchewwwwww...they should starve me na...and see who go sleep for that house...i go scarter everywere

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

One Special Thing God Did For You This Year! / My Cousin's Story About Her Pregnancy / How To Legalize Nigerian Marriage Certificate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.