Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,179 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:35 PM

Don't Know Why This Simple Program Can't Work Well - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Don't Know Why This Simple Program Can't Work Well (1102 Views)

Help A Java Newbie With This Simple Java Program / Help On This Simple Script / Please Help With Java Code For This Simple App.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't Know Why This Simple Program Can't Work Well by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jan 17, 2013
#include <cstdlib>
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;
double weightInKilograms, heightInMeters, bMI; //variable declarations of height and weight

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
cout << "::::::::::: FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES. :::::::::::::\n\n";
cout << " :::::::::::::: Body Mass Index (BMI) CALCULATOR. :::::::::::::::\n\n\n\n";

cout << "enter your weight in kilograms: ";//displays message to get weight
cin >> weightInKilograms;//gets the input for weight

cout << "\n";

cout << "enter your height in meters: ";//displays message to get height
cin >> heightInMeters;//gets the input for height

cout << "\n";

bMI = weightInKilograms / (heightInMeters * heightInMeters); //calculates the BMI

cout << "your weight in Kg is " << weightInKilograms << "kg \n" << endl;
cout << "your height in meters is " << heightInMeters << "m \n" << endl;
cout << "your body mass index is "<< bMI << endl;

if ( bMI < 18.5)
cout<<"you are underweight\n\n";

if ( 18.5 <= bMI && bMI == 24.9)
cout << "your BMI is normal\n";

if (25 >= bMI && bMI == 29.9)
cout << "you are overweight\n";

if ( bMI >= 30 )
cout << "you are obese!!\n";

cout << "::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::" << endl;
cout << "DISCLAIMER: Though this calculator is accurate according to the bmi calculation,\but it dosen't put to consideration your body build which may vary the initial\ gotten result. \n";
cout << "&&&&&&&&:::::::::: APP BUILT BY DIKACHI :::::::::::::&&&&&&&&\n" << endl;
system("PAUSE"wink;
return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

//am stil a novice and am studying with the book, c++ how to program 8th edition. i just need corrections to why it is misbehaving
Re: Don't Know Why This Simple Program Can't Work Well by ciphoenix: 12:07pm On Jan 17, 2013
Your control statements should be in the format
if .......
else if ......
else if
Re: Don't Know Why This Simple Program Can't Work Well by ciphoenix: 12:10pm On Jan 17, 2013
What errors are shown? They'll give you a hint on where you went wrong
Re: Don't Know Why This Simple Program Can't Work Well by lordZOUGA(m): 12:38pm On Jan 17, 2013
no closing bracket here
system("PAUSE" ;
Re: Don't Know Why This Simple Program Can't Work Well by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jan 17, 2013
it didn't show any syntax error, I didn't get any error wen compiling and linking. Just dat the results when i run the program is not the expected result, like i feel itz from the conditional statement dat I got it wrong
Re: Don't Know Why This Simple Program Can't Work Well by lordZOUGA(m): 1:10pm On Jan 17, 2013
Movingcoil: it didn't show any syntax error, I didn't get any error wen compiling and linking. Just dat the results when i run the program is not the expected result, like i feel itz from the conditional statement dat I got it wrong
what were you trying to do?
Re: Don't Know Why This Simple Program Can't Work Well by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jan 17, 2013
lordZOUGA:
what were you trying to do?
okay this is a body mass calculator ie bmi calculator that has values of bmi<18.5 to read as being underweight, 18.5<=bmi<25 is normal, 25<= bmi <30 is over weight, and bmi > 30 is obese, though I did small adjustments to the thing. This is a kind of assignment they gave in the first 3 chapters
Re: Don't Know Why This Simple Program Can't Work Well by lordZOUGA(m): 1:43pm On Jan 17, 2013
Movingcoil: okay this is a body mass calculator ie bmi calculator that has values of bmi<18.5 to read as being underweight, 18.5<=bmi<25 is normal, 25<= bmi <30 is over weight, and bmi > 30 is obese, though I did small adjustments to the thing. This is a kind of assignment they gave in the first 3 chapters
then you should replace this statement
and other occurences with
if ( 18.5 <= bMI && bMI <= 24.9)
Re: Don't Know Why This Simple Program Can't Work Well by Temas: 10:27pm On Jan 22, 2013
Movingcoil: #include <cstdlib>
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;
double weightInKilograms, heightInMeters, bMI; //variable declarations of height and weight

{
cout << "::::::::::: FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES. :::::::::::::\n\n";
cout << " :::::::::::::: Body Mass Index (BMI) CALCULATOR. :::::::::::::::\n\n\n\n";

cout << "enter your weight in kilograms: ";//displays message to get weight
cin >> weightInKilograms;//gets the input for weight

cout << "\n";

cout << "enter your height in meters: ";//displays message to get height
cin >> heightInMeters;//gets the input for height

cout << "\n";

bMI = weightInKilograms / (heightInMeters * heightInMeters); //calculates the BMI

cout << "your weight in Kg is " << weightInKilograms << "kg \n" << endl;
cout << "your height in meters is " << heightInMeters << "m \n" << endl;
cout << "your body mass index is "<< bMI << endl;

if ( bMI < 18.5)
cout<<"you are underweight\n\n";

cout << "your BMI is normal\n";

if (25 >= bMI && bMI == 29.9)
cout << "you are overweight\n";

if ( bMI >= 30 )
cout << "you are obese!!\n";

cout << "::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::" << endl;
cout << "DISCLAIMER: Though this calculator is accurate according to the bmi calculation,\but it dosen't put to consideration your body build which may vary the initial\ gotten result. \n";
cout << "&&&&&&&&:::::::::: APP BUILT BY DIKACHI :::::::::::::&&&&&&&&\n" << endl;
system("PAUSE"wink;
return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

//am stil a novice and am studying with the book, c++ how to program 8th edition. i just need corrections to why it is misbehaving

bro am a novice as well but this is the code in c language i hope it helps.
these are the mistakes i was able to see in your code.
1. An if ,else if statement is the best and for testing your conditions.
2.Then the statement should be in the format as shown in my code(i think)
3.float data type i think is the best cos u dealing with decimals here.
regards

#include<stdio.h>
#include<string.h>
#include<stdlib.h>

float multi(float a,float b) // function prototype
{
float heightsquare;

heightsquare=a*b;

return heightsquare;

}

{

float weightInKilograms, heightInMeters, bMI;
float heightsquare;
printf("::::::::::: FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES. :::::::::::::\n\n"wink;
printf(":::::::::::::: Body Mass Index (BMI) CALCULATOR. :::::::::::::::\n\n\n\n"wink,

printf("enter your weight in kilograms:"wink;
scanf("%f",&weightInKilograms);
printf("\n"wink;

printf("enter your height in meters:"wink;
scanf("%f",&heightInMeters);
printf("\n"wink;

heightsquare= multi(heightInMeters,heightInMeters);// function call
bMI = weightInKilograms / heightsquare;

printf("your weight in Kg is %.1fkg\n",weightInKilograms);

printf("your height in meters is %.1fm\n",heightInMeters);
printf("your height in square meters is %.1f\n",heightsquare);

printf("your body mass index is %.1f\n",bMI);

// testing conditions with if then else if

if ( bMI < 18.5)
{
printf("you are underweight\n\n"wink;
}

else if ( (bMI>=18.5) && (bMI <= 24.9))
{
printf("your BMI is normal\n"wink;
}

else if ((bMI>=25) && (bMI <= 29.9))
{
printf("you are overweight\n"wink;
}

else if ( bMI >= 30 )
{
printf("you are obese!!\n"wink;
}
printf("::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::\n" );

printf("DISCLAIMER: Though this calculator is accurate according to the bmi calculation\n"wink;

printf("but it dosen't put to consideration your body build which may vary the initial gotten result.\n"wink;

printf("&&&&&&&&:::::::::: APP BUILT BY DIKACHI :::::::::::::&&&&&&&&\n"wink;
getchar();
return 0;

}
Re: Don't Know Why This Simple Program Can't Work Well by CodeHouse: 8:38am On Apr 02, 2013
Can program it for ya

(1) (Reply)

45 Useful Javascript Tips, Tricks & Best Practices / Please, Help: Want To Build An Online Learning Platform With Laravel / Shuffling Multidimensional Array Of Values

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.