Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

My Sporting Heroes Have Really Been A Disappointment - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / My Sporting Heroes Have Really Been A Disappointment (593 Views)

Meet The Professor Who Won An Online Sporting Bet Of #58milion With Just #800. / Which EPL Team Is Currently The Biggest Disappointment? / Super Eagle A Disappointment? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Sporting Heroes Have Really Been A Disappointment by kutchs: 9:00am On Jan 18, 2013
It is really sad to say that some of my sporting heroes have really disappointed me.

First was track ‘legend‘ Marion Jones admitting to performance enhancing drug prior to 2000 Olympics.

Next was former Golf no 1 Tiger Woods admitting to extra marital affairs and the consequent decline in his form.

Now is someone I respect so much and had hoped to meet one day Lance Amstrong and his earth shaking confession to Oprah just yesterday. All along I had thought and prayed he‘s innocent of the charges levelled against him by USADA and WADA, but watching him speak with Oprah I felt like reaching accross and giving him a hot slap in the face for fooling me all this while.

I just hope I dont wake up tomorrow to learn that both Rafael Nadal and Lionel Messi have been living on drugs. I won‘t take it.
Re: My Sporting Heroes Have Really Been A Disappointment by 1k001(m): 9:17am On Jan 18, 2013
Humans are flawed and fallible beings including sporting greats. Excessive idolization of any individual serves no useful purpose. We should Learn from their positive attributes and also learn to avoid their inevitable flaws when exposed. Whenever revelations like this emerge one understands why religion exists to give us a perfect type to attempt to pattern our lives after.

Specifically regarding Lance, his consistent bullying and treatment of his opponents was rather appalling, any redemption will be difficult for him.

(1) (Reply)

Predict Your Mindset Here: "Nigeria Vs Ethiopia" 6pm Today. / Mikel Will Face Ivory Coast Bt Ogude Out / We Played Brazil Not Nigeria – Mali Goalkeeper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.