Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,154 members, 7,821,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:56 PM

Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO (39920 Views)

Durability And Maintenance Of Volvo S80 / Volvo Develops Crash-proof Car / How Reliable Are Volvo Cars? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by fm7070: 3:13pm On Jan 18, 2013
I discovered that volvo cars are very cheap, the engine is unbelievably cheap as well.
I actually wanted to buy V70 and I informed a mechanic about it, his response was so discouraging
Few people I spoke with were just singing 'japanese car'
I wonder why Nigerians are scared of it.
Pls. If you have any information, kindly share

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Nobody: 6:56am On Jan 19, 2013
We have owned the 740E in my home for 12 years and still going strong, no major wahala. I think it has to do with the shape of their cars and also, our mechanics are pure morons; they don't know jack. I myself hate Japanese cars but I drive one, you know why? Because of these mech who can only mess with japs.

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by gbonsalifus(m): 7:06am On Jan 19, 2013
just read this and you will understand exactly why http://101carsense..com/2012/12/why-nigerians-are-afraid-to-buy-some.html
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by fm7070: 12:47pm On Jan 19, 2013
Thx to @tpacalipse

Pls. I need more opinion from Volvo users
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by DEE247(m): 6:22pm On Jan 19, 2013
I AV OWNED A VOLVO 440 HATCH BACK FOR 3YRS AND THE RIDE IS GOOD. I JUST UPGRADE TO S70 1998 AND THE PARTS ARE READILY AVAILABLE 2 LADIPO ALHAJI AMUSA END CLOSE TO DALEKO IN ISOLO AREA OF LAGOS.
GOOD MECHANICS ARE THERE TOO. MINE IS EKESON AND THE GUY IS DOIN GREAT. ALSO OJEKUNLE WILL FIX ANY PARTS OF METALS AND PANEL BEATING WORKS. AT A POINT I TOT HE "OJEKUNLE" WAS PART OF THE MANUFACTURER OF VOLVO, BUT U MOST HOLD HIM WELL because HE HAS A LOT ON HIM.

FINALLY, VOLVO CARS ARE EASY TO MAINTAIN AND PARTS ARE AFFORDABLE

COMEJOIN THE VOLVO ENTHUSIASIST

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by fm7070: 7:47pm On Jan 20, 2013
thx to all that has contributed.
The road to my house is very unfriendly to cars. which volvo model will you advice me to buy either S40, V70, 850
thx

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by fm7070: 4:38pm On Jan 29, 2013
I need more opinion plssssss.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by fm7070: 4:09pm On Feb 16, 2013
what about volvo 850?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by universalbets(m): 3:58pm On Feb 17, 2013
@Op
The issues just have to do with trend. Most Nigerians just tow in line. Most mechs are slow catching up with developments in the industry. some lack the tools often pricey etc.

Historically at the tail end of the Peugeot 504/505 era came jap models toyota, mazda and nissan. coupled the increase of pump price of fuel from N21/L to N45/Litre the volvo became unattractive considering how the popular model then 240 used to consume fuel equally the noise from the engine bay.

i noticed with new models coming with 5cylinders didnt help the mechanics. For them its V4, V6, V8. so seeing a five was odd.

Knew one mech guy then that said maybe the sixth plug was located somewhere else.

Its a very safe car but lacks a lot of interior aesthetics. In all the new models show some improvement. A nice car overall

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by fm7070: 12:37pm On Feb 18, 2013
universalbets: @Op
The issues just have to do with trend. Most Nigerians just tow in line. Most mechs are slow catching up with developments in the industry. some lack the tools often pricey etc.

Historically at the tail end of the Peugeot 504/505 era came jap models toyota, mazda and nissan. coupled the increase of pump price of fuel from N21/L to N45/Litre the volvo became unattractive considering how the popular model then 240 used to consume fuel equally the noise from the engine bay.

i noticed with new models coming with 5cylinders didnt help the mechanics. For them its V4, V6, V8. so seeing a five was odd.

Knew one mech guy then that said maybe the sixth plug was located somewhere else.

Its a very safe car but lacks a lot of interior aesthetics. In all the new models show some improvement. A nice car overall

You're such a great analyst. I wish I can continue to read more of your response.
thx so much.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by toye4eva01: 4:31pm On Feb 18, 2013
i have also used my dad's volvo for a long time and i neva had any major issue with the car...never broke down except when the spark plugs were full of carbon, apart from that is just start and drive. no issues.
maybe Sienna can help out why people are running away from it
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by mrkels(m): 4:32pm On Feb 18, 2013
LOL, do they still produce those cars? Menn...Chairman go buy your self a mercedes and enjoy luxury for life . to hell with all these useless toys from japan.

#Benzfamily4life cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by MMM2(m): 4:34pm On Feb 18, 2013
High fuel consumption
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Scarpon(m): 4:36pm On Feb 18, 2013
BABA GOD EVEN N.A. VOLVO, VALVA, VELVE U GIVE ME THIS YEAR I GO JUST SAY OLUWA OSHEE

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Soso990240(m): 4:36pm On Feb 18, 2013
Metal(ion) plenty inside d car..if u get accident wit d car,sori na ur 2nd name..metal go scarter ur body.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Nobody: 4:47pm On Feb 18, 2013
Volvo be like moving casket.....

And if e jam person, no two ways, d person go enter casket.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by sagytariusTM1: 4:47pm On Feb 18, 2013
Its too Noizy
Nor be me and you, op.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by victorcurtis(m): 4:52pm On Feb 18, 2013
if d engine sound of volvo car dos not wake u up forget it u r dead

fm7070: I discovered that volvo cars are very cheap, the engine is unbelievably cheap as well.
I actually wanted to buy V70 and I informed a mechanic about it, his response was so discouraging
Few people I spoke with were just singing 'japanese car'
I wonder why Nigerians are scared of it.
Pls. If you have any information, kindly share

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by ba7man(m): 4:54pm On Feb 18, 2013
My friend drives a 2002 Volvo S80 T6(with the twin turbo chargers). Very luxurious car and fast in the upper rev range. Lovely car but availability of parts is the problem.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Nobody: 4:55pm On Feb 18, 2013
Imanuelle: Volvo be like moving casket.....

LMFAOOO!!! grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Nobody: 4:56pm On Feb 18, 2013
Volvo waz one of the cars that damned our growing days:..that car waz a major competitor in the list of wierd cars with other members like bettle ,and other archaic peugeot cars
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by tiwasiaife(m): 5:02pm On Feb 18, 2013
Volve is made in sweden and not japan.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by sanandreas(m): 5:03pm On Feb 18, 2013
Noise pollution
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by fm7070: 5:10pm On Feb 18, 2013
I appreciate everyone's comment, but we should be more emphatic and detailed as to the model and year of production we're referring to.
Volvo didn't stand still in their production, they're improving every now and then. As such, we cannot totally judge them based on the 1970 Volvos

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Belmot(m): 5:15pm On Feb 18, 2013
tiwasiaife: Volve is made in sweden and not japan.
Nobody says it's made in japan.....he says they prefer japanese cars instead,take your time to read next time.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by SeunT2(m): 5:18pm On Feb 18, 2013
Imanuelle: Volvo be like moving casket.....

Laff OUt Louder..
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Nobody: 5:19pm On Feb 18, 2013
Me self I dey wonder ohhhh, na so mumsy Mechanice discouraged us when we were about buying one very clean Tokunbo S60 2008 or 07 can't remember..

E pain me sha, but went for EOD sha

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Nadoson: 5:19pm On Feb 18, 2013
fm7070:

You're such a great analyst. I wish I can continue to read more of your response.
thx so much.

bros, ur opinion is best 2 u. Pipl wit dia own thoughts. One tin u shud undstnd is pipl of nowdays are goin 4 COMFORTABITY only & put away DURABILITY.
Pipl nw says Mercedez, Volvo & Peugo are not on line anymor but 2 me, im doubtin dem cos as a mechanical engineering graduate, i can pruv 2 dem wit many resons also tel dem d merits & demerits on dem. So broda, if u want a full durable & Averag comfortbty, u shud folow ur heart. Gud luk.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by promkingzz(m): 5:20pm On Feb 18, 2013
All of una no well, y'all hv typically bn brainwashed by japs. Volvo make sense! Dey also hv a range of new spec rides dat are fuel conservativ & are not noisy as u guys think, and they are strong. Bro do ur findings and go for ur volvo ride joor no mind all dis men

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by chucky234(m): 5:23pm On Feb 18, 2013
Volvo is amazing ride with well knitted luxurious interior,S80, S60 and XC90 are all excellent rides.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Abrantie: 5:32pm On Feb 18, 2013
You can't go wrong with the S80. Smooth ride, quiet cabin and powerful sound system. Drive it and you're hooked. Don't let mechanics discourage you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerians Scared Of VOLVO by Temismith(f): 5:37pm On Feb 18, 2013
I dont know

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Innoson Unveils Its Fire Fighting Truck - Photos / First Ever Convertible Range Rover Velar Spotted (Photos) / 9 Foot King Cobra Removed From A Van's Glove Compartment In China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.