Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:10 AM

When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? (16333 Views)

Policeman Spotted At The Back Of Danfo In Lagos / Policeman Orders Woman To Bare Her Breast In Public Or Be Arrested (photos) / What Stops You From Doing It Even When You Have The Opportunity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by onatisi(m): 7:47am On Jan 21, 2013
debrief08: Some Nigerians can be rude and arrogant to Police Men. Bare in mnd that officer has been standing for hours and you come cruising down in your Air conditioned car, to him he is there for your protection, to you he is an irritant and so some just arrogantly respond na there trouble start.

Step 1: Put on your Inner Light.

Step 2: Stay in The Car, Doors Shut

Step 3: Wind down the windows when he comes around

Step 4: be the first to say "Good evening Sir" we know you are the one in the big car with AC and he is tartared and worn out but as my Father will say, any man with a gun is Sir, and any officer of the law is Sir

Step 5: give them documents they ask for always be polite, explain the ones you don't have also politely

Step 6: When they wave you pass, say, Thank You Sir for the good work you do, never hurts to appreciate anyone.

Donts:
1. Do not leave the lights off and music blasting
2. Do not come down and start shouting "Do you know who I am"
3. Do not say "how now" and talk to them as if they are illiterates and attempt some lame joke, he has been standing for hours and is irritable, so he may take you jokes as rudeness
4. Do not leave music blasting loudly while he is talking to you, its disrespectful and turning down for a few minutes is all it takes
5. Do not rudely tell him that you don't have documents and again avoid "do you know who I am"
6. Do not start insulting the Nigerian Police force and How rotten they are
7. Do not leave your boot unattended after your display of arrogance if you meet an equally vindictive officer be sure a gun, weed or something will be "found" in your boot.

Being polite never killed anyone, doesn't take much from you.
Imagine how you felt attending to that rude customer, yes that's how they feel dealing with you multiply by their poor working conditions.
accurately concise.this is the best way to deal with them
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by onatisi(m): 7:50am On Jan 21, 2013
Jimmy Boy: Generally, just try to treat them like human and that you respect them, the worst that will happen if you do so is that they ask for "something for the boyz", but you will never be molested.

I usually follow the prrocedure below.
1. Roll down the glass or put on the inner light, before being asked to do so.
2. Greet with respect(Good evening sir, ), with a face that does not show fear or contempt.(They just scan you and the vehicle, and most times they wave you on).
3.If they ask you to "park well", comply and keep making them fill important even if your docs are in order (because there may be some errors in your docs that you were not aware off).
4. If no fault is found, they asked you to go or they simply go begging. If you can afford somerin, N100 or N200 should be OK, if not say "next time Oga mi".
5. If the checking point is on your normal route, then I recommend you drop somerin ,N200, subsequent encounters will just be chit chat, though you may be reactivating the rapport occasionaly with N100 or200,

DONTs
Never raise your voice
Never claim to know.

this is very good
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Nobody: 7:58am On Jan 21, 2013
Vicjustice:
Lol! But what if you give them let's say N2.000, will they also make such claim?

N20 is bribery but N100 and above is not. Take note.

2 Likes

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Nobody: 8:07am On Jan 21, 2013
Gluckdude: The best way is for u to look at the officer's name on his chest, its always boldly written.
then calmly greet him by his exact name. i.e his name is wale sanusi.
first thing u say when u are stopped is " Good Afternoon Mr Wale.
believe me u will be done with the the stop and search in less than a minute and told to continue your journey.
without him asking for a tip.
my 2 cent.

That makes you a very smart observer. He will be shocked and may think you know him from somewhere, or you are a senior officer.
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Nobody: 8:09am On Jan 21, 2013
tpacalipse: I don't give them nothing, I just show them the sticker on my windsheild.

Special marshal levels.
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Nobody: 8:11am On Jan 21, 2013
okpara ugo:

N20 is bribery but N100 and above is not. Take note.

thanks bro
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by dinoescobar(m): 8:15am On Jan 21, 2013
smallmoney: Flagged down...
stop...
Glass down...
Expressionless face...
look into the officers eyes...
officers greets (anything for the boys)...
Reply (we go see later)...
0fficer (carry on)...

Nice One
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by specialguest(f): 8:15am On Jan 21, 2013
From debrief"s post one can easily conclude that the best way to handle the Nigerian police when you meet them on the road is by showing “courtesy with caution”.

I have learnt a thing or two from this thread which means I won't feel so irritated again the next time a police man flags me down.

By the way shouldn"t we have a book like "a guide to being friends with Nigerian oga police"@least it would reduce the alarming rates of accidental discharge.
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Ebbyboy: 8:25am On Jan 21, 2013
Legalplayerz: I visited Nigeria few months ago for a week, and I was stopped by police twice. I was able to deal with them easily because I acted Nigerian and tried to avoid too much English language. Just stop when they ask you to, and be polite to them. This two stop and search cost me N15k, for doing nothing.
For given 15k dat means dsere is a cockroach in ur cupboard wch u don't want to mention here. Abi u carry dead body or contraband...Naija Police no dey too expensive like dat for minor offence..abegi
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by ujukala: 8:44am On Jan 21, 2013
Ha ha he he.. You people are very funny
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by dont8(m): 8:51am On Jan 21, 2013
Just tell the officer(s), Your Code of Conduct says you're my friend.

By virtue of this, your IG is my friend. Give it a try, it works like magic cheesy
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by dont8(m): 9:13am On Jan 21, 2013
And if you're in hurry, just tell them thus, Sallam aleykum, my name is Abubakar Dongo Shafua, we just killed some JTF in Maiduguri this morning and... They would not even bother you to explain how you were coerced and forced to become a boko haram member and how you need their protection before they disappear from your face grin

1 Like

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by pippen213(m): 9:27am On Jan 21, 2013
sagaciousblog: PLEASE,IS THIS ONE SWAHILI OR ENGLISH?

Lol
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by exalt2009: 10:16am On Jan 21, 2013
Good morning,
Pls let us face d truth here, Arm robber do where police
Uniform and claim to be be a̶̲̥̅̊ uniform personal..
For instance last 3 years ago ♏Ε̲̣̣̣̥ and М̣̣̥̇̊Ɣ brother coming from okota after we just drive bye toyota bus stop...our car was stop by men in black(police) on d bridge befor alighting to 7&8 bus stop...We stop to know that they are fake police men...'Arm Robber'
So tell ♏Ε̲̣̣̣̥ one good reason why I will Ω̶̣̣̥̇̊​oτ̣̣̥​ ask any uniform personal to identify his self...
But come to think of it, time and place to mater before you cann ask such Question ΐ̲̅ƒ̲̅ Ω̶̣̣̥̇̊​oτ̣̣̥​..they go beat nosense comot for your brain o...
We shold just be diplomatic when dealing with them o
Thanks
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Maze1(m): 10:30am On Jan 21, 2013
Tusky44:

If the guy had a poor command of English like you, why doesn't he deserve the merciless beating from the police officer?
I hate these Professors of English on Nairaland. Nothing to contribute , just go about looking for little errors to point out.

2 Likes

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Meristem: 11:28am On Jan 21, 2013
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Meristem: 11:29am On Jan 21, 2013

Swahilinglish cheesy
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by kiyosaki1(m): 11:37am On Jan 21, 2013
This just confirm my opinion about you.
ifihearam: @op
Listen very carefully.....

Never argue with a police officer otherwise you go regret forever.

Never try to act " I Too Know" with them otherwise you will be delayed for nothing

Never hesitate to bribe them when accosted.

Never you run when they come after you,chill and every will be okay otherwise they turn case against you

Never mind sha....
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by blackbeau1(f): 11:56am On Jan 21, 2013
Don't say you know d IG,he is likely to kill you out of spite
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by efelusi(m): 1:27pm On Jan 21, 2013
stop...
Glass down...
Expressionless face...
0fficer (carry on)...

exact way to go!
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by brat4222(m): 1:55pm On Jan 21, 2013
tee_la_cruz: The best thing is to act like a fool and let him be the boss even when you know you've got more sense n qualification than him. They are just bunch of frustrated maggots.

lol. You get mouth
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by gaburiel(m): 4:14pm On Jan 21, 2013
How not to get your ass kicked by the police

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koAyLPUftHo
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Litmus: 4:52pm On Jan 21, 2013
Frankly it is best to say as little as possible when arraigned by police anywhere in the world.People must not have traveled, to go on like this about Nigerian police and army behavior. You'd be asking for death if you give police mouth in Jamaica, from Borgata to New York, give police no lip.England is the only place I've been where people challenge police regularly,sometimes you see black boys jumping in their faces, don't do it in France,and yet even in England, I'd advice be careful where you challenge police.There is a long list of blacks who have been killed in police custody.

You know, people say Nigerians are arrogant, i don't see it, but i think we come close in our assumptions that Nigeria is remotely the worst place.Nigeria is highly safe compered to many places, believe me.
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by OliverPatrick: 10:26pm On Jan 21, 2013
Give them just 20Naira
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by OCcool: 1:21am On Jan 22, 2013
vallycan: Ya a big fool for nt knwin naija police identity dat's #20, u cud b kill simply for nt knwin this deir identity; in case of next tym pls take note! tongue
did u av 2 insult in order 2 make ur point, silly person

1 Like

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by ZHANGFELIX(f): 9:25am On Jan 22, 2013
I think someone will lose his/her life because of lack of proper trainning LMAO, we must pay attention to it.
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Nobody: 7:54am On Jan 27, 2013
Let me share wif u sumtin I learned at the Ministry of Justice.
When a police officer stops you,pls dnt be '2 forward' in claiming u've got rights. Lots of young men have lost their lives by being '2 forward'.
When one stops you,the first thing you should do is 2 check his name on his tag and address him by his name and address him as if u lnw him. For instance,u say 'good afternoon,sgnt Tokunbo (in a very friendly manner)' . When u address an officer by his name,he'l presume u know him and he'l b very careful cos he knws if anything goes wrong,his name ll me mentioned.
As for the money ish,if you've got money on u,give sum out. Cos u can't be too sure the kind of mood the officer is in. And pls dnt experriment wif ur life. One questn I always ask is if an officer 'fires' a civilian cos of #100 dat he has but refused to give and d man dies. Will the officer's dismissal and/or conviction bring this man back to life?
Many ll say 'justice has been served' but d man's friends and family ll still b in tears and sincerely I tell u,it's hard to convict a police officer of sumtin he really did....
Just give him the #100 and move on.
A word to the wise is enough!
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by pinnochio(m): 12:02pm On Feb 23, 2013
stop...
Glass down...
Expressionless face...
0fficer (carry on)...

Exactly! Totally on point!! This actually works almost every time o.

When in Nigeria, pls act like a Nigerian o... for the sake of your safety!

Plus, always address them as 'officer' or 'OC', meaning officer-in-charge, as a
sign of respect even if the man na constable or ordinary cadet dat escaped from
police college for the weekend. smiley
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by latesthotvirus: 4:26pm On Nov 12, 2013
Ask them if they could identify their Oga at the top
Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by 9jatatafo(m): 10:00pm On Nov 12, 2013
You bite the policeman lips like this crocodile wey bite this elephant trunk because you get courage.

Re: When Nigerian Policeman Stops You: What Not To Say? by Funjosh(m): 10:29am On Oct 02, 2014
Prove you know your right with a police officer at your own risk lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dog Owners, Please Help. / Troops Recover And Return 218 Cows To Owners In Plateau / Trailer Driver Smashes Vehicles To Escape Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.