Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:00 AM

Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? (14584 Views)

The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! / Who Is To Be Blame For Student's Poor Performance? / New Education System In Nigeria: 9-3-4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Namiad(m): 2:09pm On Jan 21, 2013
mr.born2fuck:
The whole systems in Nigeria are corrupted. I do not seen any sane sectors, not even those who are enforcing the law. Imagine things like:
Our leaders mostly won election through rigging and even those who lost rig too but the highest rigging party won
Churches are now business centre, hopefully they are incorporated.
Mosques are creating terrorists, which are being sponsored by politicians.
Area Boys (Agbero)are king of the road, collecting everyday taxes from moving vehicle.
Police is your friend but Bail is never free ( Bribery is their daily bread).
6 months in prison for those who steal billions; 6 years in prison for someone who steal goat. Our Judges are corrupted too
Do you think EFCC is sane? I laugh in ABC
People are joining politics for the purpose of embezzlement of money,how do you get to the top if you don't practise corruption and malpractice in the school? You want to end up like Gani Fayemi and not obasanjo and IBB? Have you forgotten malpractice is same as rigging in election? The only different is advance stage

You better start training your children how to malpractise, as this will booster his political ambitious to rig election for himself and you can then teach him stealing-with-pen
u ar jst cathawauling..is dat wht u can say nd u cal it CONTRIBUTION to d subject?
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by juman(m): 2:16pm On Jan 21, 2013
nigeria is a non-functioning country.

All functioning countries have their educational system in order.

Its non compatibility of the country.
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by 1forall: 2:28pm On Jan 21, 2013
The Nigerian government does NOT want the citizens to be educated.

See, a generally literate and educated populace would not be easy for the government to abuse and cheat the way the Nigerian government is doing because such a populace would quickly question how their government treats them and handles their commonwealth.

So, it does not pay the Nigerian government to educate the people.

PS: The rotten state of our education system is evident on this thread already sad
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Vicony4real(m): 2:30pm On Jan 21, 2013
everybody, including you and i
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jan 21, 2013
To the Lecturers who aid students to change their WAEC/GCE grades from F9 to C4 etc; you have not done well and God is watching you on a flat screen... smiley

To Parents who hire 'machineries' to write examinations for thir kids and, those who....register their wards/children in Special centres...for benefits of full-Blown GCE/JAMB ExPO...your hands are not clean, either...wink

To the undergraduates who are so used to contributing departmental 'egunje' for different Course Lecturers for some unmerited grade-favour... are you not as guilty as well...?

The Government? We are the government smiley

Really, to have a drastic change in the education system, first we must appreciate what we've got...believe in our ability and in the system, make some good, collective effort to causing a positive change.... Everyone got a part to play....and gradually, this tree of corruption would die off...when we do not feed it with corresponding corrupt thought and action..

1 Like

Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by eaglechild: 2:44pm On Jan 21, 2013
1. Quota system
Whereby Aminu who scored 200 will be admitted in the place of Ngozi who scored 250 therefore less qualified students are admitted, lowering the standards.
2. State employment policies
Seun cannot easily secure a job in Katsina, unless he changes his name to Musa, even when Katsina is in dire need of teachers.
3. Islamic schools
Will teach u how to recite the Quran off hand but how will this benefit the society at large?

1 Like

Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by shytalkative: 2:47pm On Jan 21, 2013
Onyegecha: 1. Teachers in our schools are generally low-grade, poorly motivated, ill-equipped for their sacred duty.

2. Exam malpractice has become a culture; the most important friend to students. Even teachers are products and fans of the monster.

3. WAEC, NECO, JAMB and every other exam body thrives on the proceeds of exam malpractice, yet we have a government in place

4. Cult activities blossom in the primary schools right now. All imaginable acts of hooliganism are perpetrated by young children, sometimes under the supervision of one or two shameless teachers.

5. University teachers belittle themselves before their students by selling grades for money or sex. Yet we have establishments that should check the activities of these criminal and abominable lecturers.

6. Books to be recommended for study in schools are selected on the basis of financial gratification and not quality
as Officials of the ministry of education reek of graft.

7. Parents connive with corrupt teachers at every level to buy results and certificates for their children.

8. The government is guilty of criminal negligence. They sit at ease in the government houses and luxurious offices while our future burns

Concerned parents who can afford it quickly send their children to quality schools abroad or in Nigeria. Is this really the solution we need? Will these privileged children not come back to meet the rot they are running away from? What is the way out? Who is to blame?

Its Surprising to see people blaming the structure for almost all the problems in the country while they themselves are at fault and responsible for the failure of the structure/system. We have countries where their educational system is not as good as Nigeria's, where they learn under trees and their teachers are not well grounded and still with the little things they are able to learn, they're making changes to further improve the system. Is the failure of the Educational system responsible for the gross ignorance of majority of Nigerian youths? Is the zeal to learn still there? Are they ready to submit themselves to the acquisition of knowledge despite all the challenges they might be facing? Before we change the system, we should consider why we're changing the system and who we're changing it for. Why should we donate cars to the blind when they can't even drive them. THINK!

1 Like

Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jan 21, 2013
OlowoTee:
To the Lecturers who aid students to change their WAEC/GCE grades from F9 to C4 etc; you have not done well and God is watching you on a flat screen... smiley

To Parents who hire 'machineries' to write examinations for thir kids and, those who....register their wards/children in Special centres...for benefits of full-Blown GCE/JAMB ExPO...your hands are not clean, either...wink

To the undergraduates who are so used to contributing departmental 'egunje' for different Course Lecturers for some unmerited grade-favour... are you not as guilty as well...?

The Government? We are the government smiley

Really, to have a drastic change in the education system, first we must appreciate what we've got...believe in our ability and in the system, make some good, collective effort to causing a positive change.... Everyone got a part to play....and gradually, this tree of corruption would die off...when we do not feed it with corresponding corrupt thought and action..

At the bolded; it is mercenary smiley. #OkBye
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by 1025: 3:06pm On Jan 21, 2013
i had the opportunity of having information on the main purpose of a private business which is to maximize profit. if the govt in her madness decided to hand over schools to private individual businessmen and women whose main interest is to make profit, what do u expect? no student these days repeats class. if any school tries to fail ur ward, all u need is to change school for that one and tell the new school where u want ur child to be. as long as you roll in the money, ur children will come out good and at the end of the day, the certificate or knowledge does not matter rather what matters is who you know in the society. have you seen any rich man pikin looking for work any where? no be phone call? you see them in charge of companies while first class materials ride okada on our roads.
if you ask me, the govt is the number 1 culprit in the deep in form of our educational system.
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by 1forall: 3:09pm On Jan 21, 2013
1025: if you ask me, the govt is the number 1 culprit in the deep in form of our educational system.

Sorry I couldn't help it grin
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jan 21, 2013
speedyboi:

At the bolded; it is mercenary smiley. #OkBye

.....and, that was why I got it QUOTED...because I wasn't too sure of the exact spelling, then.

Thanks, speedyboi... cheesy
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Symphony007: 4:31pm On Jan 21, 2013
Rather than blame why are'nt we seeking solutions?:|

1 Like

Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by mrborn2fuck(m): 4:42pm On Jan 21, 2013
Namiad:
u ar jst cathawauling..is dat wht u can say nd u cal it CONTRIBUTION to d subject?
that is what I can contribute, if you are not comfortable,kindly hug transformer or enter canal.
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jan 21, 2013
Onyegecha: 1. Teachers in our schools are generally low-grade, poorly motivated, ill-equipped for their sacred duty.

2. Exam malpractice has become a culture; the most important friend to students. Even teachers are products and fans of the monster.

3. WAEC, NECO, JAMB and every other exam body thrives on the proceeds of exam malpractice, yet we have a government in place

4. Cult activities blossom in the primary schools right now. All imaginable acts of hooliganism are perpetrated by young children, sometimes under the supervision of one or two shameless teachers.

5. University teachers belittle themselves before their students by selling grades for money or sex. Yet we have establishments that should check the activities of these criminal and abominable lecturers.

6. Books to be recommended for study in schools are selected on the basis of financial gratification and not quality
as Officials of the ministry of education reek of graft.

7. Parents connive with corrupt teachers at every level to buy results and certificates for their children.

8. The government is guilty of criminal negligence. They sit at ease in the government houses and luxurious offices while our future burns

Concerned parents who can afford it quickly send their children to quality schools abroad or in Nigeria. Is this really the solution we need? Will these privileged children not come back to meet the rot they are running away from? What is the way out? Who is to blame?
Instead of looking for a person to blame, we should be implementing solutions.
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by wine4dguy: 5:15pm On Jan 21, 2013
blink182: Instead of looking for a person to blame, we should be implementing solutions.
Symphony007: Rather than blame why are'nt we seeking solutions?:|
have you forgotten that it is after diagnosis that you come up with solutions...
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by LFJ: 5:19pm On Jan 21, 2013
Odunnu: Its a shame on the nation. The Parents, The Child, The Teachers, the Government. We all have huge part to play.
I blame the child primarily because even in the midst of the rot, those who want to excel, do excel. When a child is focused, distractions are simply, distractions.

[s]BTW, we are planning on starting our own sectional debate, and this appears to be a good topic. Fingers crossed[/s]

Aduni, pls don't let us blame the innocent children, wht can they do in a dysfunctional system?
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by gloriteyemi(m): 5:30pm On Jan 21, 2013
Afam4eva: These days, i don'[t respect someone who tells me he got 7 As or first class degree from a Nigerian school. The Nigerian educational system has bitten the dust just like every other sector in the economy.

Talking about passing blames. I'll blame the government first then the citizens second. The government are responsible for what has befallen the educational system because they are the ones in charge of regulating the standard of schools in the country and they have failed in that regard. The citizens have also not demanded enough.
Pls what grade did come out with?
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by gloriteyemi(m): 5:32pm On Jan 21, 2013
Government, parent and teacher.(In that order)
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by otokx(m): 6:18pm On Jan 21, 2013
@Richfella

you are too much
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Onyegecha(f): 6:44pm On Jan 21, 2013
If you really think there are no cults in the primary school, you have to think again and look closely around you. I know of a nine-year old who was approached by her mate to join a group, but first she asked her, 'can you keep a secret?' This happened in a decent school. As for the public schools, water don pass garri. I know of public primary schools where full-blown cult activities are practiced. As for books, look at the literature texts. Some approved books are unpublishable materials. Our education sector is failed and a state of emergency should be declared in that area if our government is sincere.
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Sueamaze(f): 7:51pm On Jan 21, 2013
Private school should be close n see what edu would be in this country.
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Sueamaze(f): 7:56pm On Jan 21, 2013
Private school should be close n see what edu would be in this country.
Well equip teachers shld be put in place.
Fed govt shld take control of schools 4rm pre-primary to uni, poly n mono.

1 Like

Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by ayodot(m): 9:37pm On Jan 21, 2013
no blame anyone. na me cos am
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by kcjazz(m): 9:44pm On Jan 21, 2013
If at all there is anyone or anything to blame, then blame parents/citizens. I believe the success of any child is linked to how much time the parents spend with them at home.Our demography in Nigeria has changed, parents (mum and dad) don't have as much time due to work routine and economic changes. Kids are joining cults is a shame, kids get sexually abused every time etc. Issue is if a parent doesn't communicate then you can't figure it out.

Structurally, government needs to tweak a few things,I will never understand why a primary school will be accredited without sports facilities, even a five aside pitch is enough. Kids learn differently and with sports energy is diverted to good use, helps the learning process.

Pension pull for teachers (both private and public) to stem migration and improve remuneration.

Planning: Based on data available, Nigeria allocates/invests a huge sum in education, not enough BUT we should never have so much kids out of school or have the low level of quality based on what we currently spend. We lack planning and we don't use data effectively. For instance what schools are doing well and any plans to look at what they are doing right and implement at a poor school? Are some places over schooled while other places lack, leading to over population?

A few things need to be done but the problem is not easy to solve
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Kei144(m): 3:27am On Jan 22, 2013
The North is responsible. When they defeated the South during the Biafran war (even though some southerners think they were among the victors), they began to operate policies that were aimed at undermining the educational system. Education was one area where the South towered above them, and their solution was to make everybody practically uneducated. While the war was still going on, they held a workshop in which they adopted the 6-3-3-4 system of education, even though they made a Yoruba man chairman of the workshop. After the war, there was a good number of East Europeans teaching science and technology in Nigerian universities. Then in 1986, Babangida administration came up with a policy that foreigners must spend 85% of their earnings in Nigeria, a policy which was aimed at driving away the Europeans from Southern universities. Well, the Europeans left and universities (especially UNN) began to deteriorate rapidly.
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by ekereku: 6:03am On Jan 22, 2013
I blame the govt. When the government secondary school (jss1-ss3) in my village has only 3 teachers on govt payroll, what do you think will happen in an exam they will answer the same questions with students in Kings college when we all want to further our studies? Does it means they don't know the number of teachers in the schools?
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Eneze1(f): 9:39am On Jan 22, 2013
The whole system is corrupted but first and foremost I blame the government, I work in an Agricultural research Institute and majority of Msc students and Phd who come for their projects are not even aware of most of the equipments, they look like dummy whenever they come inside the lab due to the fact that they don't have the equipments in school, even private universities are not left out, before there's going to be a viable solution to the rot in the educational sector all hands must be on deck, a general re orientation, parents need to change their behaviour because the way some parents behave this days are questionable.
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by RedReact: 10:57am On Jan 22, 2013
Eneze1: The whole system is corrupted but first and foremost I blame the government, I work in an Agricultural research Institute and majority of Msc students and Phd who come for their projects are not even aware of most of the equipments, they look like dummy whenever they come inside the lab due to the fact that they don't have the equipments in school, even private universities are not left out, before there's going to be a viable solution to the rot in the educational sector all hands must be on deck, a general re orientation, parents need to change their behaviour because the way some parents behave this days are questionable.
My dear, don't go too far. Start with a common microscope. As I am, having studied Biology for 3 yrs then @ SSS level, I never handled or operated a microscope; learnt about the mechanism of prisms and its application in physics/optics, I never handled a binocular prism, yet I was taught. What will you call that? Education or 'theoritisation'! University exposure that I taught would have given an high class exposure, it was just cram and cram without practical orientation. Is that education? Our government is not yet serious about the future of the nation; hence their lackadaisical attitude towards the sector. Gone are the days when candles/kerosenes were burnt at night all because you wanted to understand the 'theories' taught in class. How many can do such today?
Check all our media stations? People are not interested in Discovery, History, & Wildlife channels again but Movie, Music and Sport entertainment. We've a long way to go, starting from our parents. Charity, they say, begins right from the closet called home.
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by Nobody: 11:44am On Jan 22, 2013
pinky21: Evry1 shares from d blame. Naija is a corrupt country. Al we need is prayers.

All we need is not prayer! All we need is to avoid dragging God into everything and use our initiative to solve our problems. Immediately we bring God factor into issues, our thinking faculty gets shut down and our collective resolve to solve our problems becomes dead. This is the reason why most of our problems remained unsolved.
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by nicefeeling: 12:07pm On Jan 22, 2013
obasy09:

All we need is not prayer! All we need is to avoid dragging God into everything and use our initiative to solve our problems. Immediately we bring God factor into issues, our thinking faculty gets shut down and our collective resolve to solve our problems becomes dead. This is the reason why most of our problems remained unsolved.

U just about said it all!!
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by blackbeau1(f): 2:44pm On Jan 22, 2013
@ poster,you are a typical Nigerian.*No Insults intended* we blame everyone except ourselves for our problems. In your post,you didn't add the Students.the typical Nigerian student feels reading or researching is wastage of time.he/she would rather party or gist with friends
Re: Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? by bigfreak: 3:02pm On Jan 22, 2013
The truth is the administration is 95 percent responsible for the rot in the educational system

Take a look https://www.nairaland.com/1171317/gross-negligence-ebonyi-state-uni#13956493

(1) (2) (Reply)

Meaning Of ''outstanding'' In Waec Result? / Please Which Chemistry Textbook Is Best For Advance Level / Which Course/subject Do You Like Most? Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.