Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,303 members, 7,819,025 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:11 AM

Am I Allowed To Miss Solat Because I Went For Classes? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Am I Allowed To Miss Solat Because I Went For Classes? (3185 Views)

Is It Permissible To Close Your Eyes During Solat? / How To Check Solat Time Without Watch Or Any Software / Is It Allowed To Pray Taraweeh? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am I Allowed To Miss Solat Because I Went For Classes? by maclatunji: 5:19pm On Jan 21, 2013
Someone asked this question, can we get answers for her please?

Thank you.
Re: Am I Allowed To Miss Solat Because I Went For Classes? by tbaba1234: 5:27pm On Jan 21, 2013
NO!

There are no reasons to miss your salat... Except you are dead or in a coma...
Re: Am I Allowed To Miss Solat Because I Went For Classes? by DevotedOne(m): 5:35pm On Jan 21, 2013
Bismillaah ir Rahmaan ir Rahiim. As salaamu alaykum. Ya Nabi; Blessing of Allah be upon Muhammad and his Ahl ul Bayt.

My understanding is, that salat should as much as possible, be made on time. However, it can be made up later if missed. I have read, also, that salat can be combined with an earlier prayer, if a later prayer will be missed. But, I am not sure that this practice is acceptable. Perhaps someone will clarify this information. And Allaah (SWT) knows best!

Wassalaam. DevotedOne

1 Like

Re: Am I Allowed To Miss Solat Because I Went For Classes? by tbaba1234: 5:47pm On Jan 21, 2013
When one is travelling,

1. One can mix Zuhr and Asr

2. One can also mix mahgrib and Isha...

In addition, a surgeon involved in a surgery to save a person's life can delay his salat...

The salat is just 5 mins and it has a reasonable window... There are no reasons to delay or miss it...

Plan your day around your salat,

1 Like

Re: Am I Allowed To Miss Solat Because I Went For Classes? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jan 21, 2013
Lol maclatunji you started a thread for me smiley how nice of you.

Thank you very much mac.

Thank you too devoted and tbaba, I appreciate your help and advicesmiley
Re: Am I Allowed To Miss Solat Because I Went For Classes? by maclatunji: 8:25pm On Jan 21, 2013
fellis: Lol maclatunji you started a thread for me smiley how nice of you.

Thank you very much mac.

Thank you too devoted and tbaba, I appreciate your help and advicesmiley

I created this thread so that you don't feel bad that you asked a question and I shunned it. I hope you are satisfied with the responses.
Re: Am I Allowed To Miss Solat Because I Went For Classes? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jan 21, 2013
maclatunji:

I created this thread so that you don't feel bad that you asked a question and I shunned it. I hope you are satisfied with the responses.

Yes I am.

Thanks again.

Sorry for derailing the first thread by the way, it was unintentional.

1 Like

Re: Am I Allowed To Miss Solat Because I Went For Classes? by shakaz(m): 4:13pm On Jan 22, 2013
What if your salaat time crashes with a test or practical class that awards marks.
Re: Am I Allowed To Miss Solat Because I Went For Classes? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jan 22, 2013
shakaz: What if your salaat time crashes with a test or practical class that awards marks.

Yeah. Or exams?
Re: Am I Allowed To Miss Solat Because I Went For Classes? by siddiq202(m): 10:16am On Jan 27, 2013
I think the solats we are talking about here are likely to be zuhr and asr due to the time they are observed in the day.

My opinion: Since the exams are not likely to take the whole day without break, i will suggest you observe your own solat within the period of the particular solat irrespective of whether the mosque has said the congregational prayer or not.
The zuhr prayer starts when the sun begins to decline from its zenith and ends when the size of an object's shadow is equal to the size of the object (i.e just before asr prayer), while asr prayer starts when shadow of something is equal to itself and ends just before sunset and Allah knows best.

Will like to know the islam view too
Re: Am I Allowed To Miss Solat Because I Went For Classes? by Nobody: 10:59am On Jan 27, 2013
siddiq202: I think the solats we are talking about here are likely to be zuhr and asr due to the time they are observed in the day.

My opinion: Since the exams are not likely to take the whole day without break, i will suggest you observe your own solat within the period of the particular solat irrespective of whether the mosque has said the congregational prayer or not.
Some exams actually take the entire period of prayers, for example a three hour exam starting by two o clock. The sun would have already began to set before you come out of the hall.
Re: Am I Allowed To Miss Solat Because I Went For Classes? by siddiq202(m): 11:14am On Jan 27, 2013
fellis: Some exams actually take the entire period of prayers, for example a three hour exam starting by two o clock. The sun would have already began to set before you come out of the hall.
That's exactly what I'm talking about, the zuhr prayer starts before two in short here in Lagos state it starts some minutes before one o'clock and asr prayer ends before sunset.
My point, you can observe your zuhr prayer before the exam and asr prayer after the exam both prayers will thereby still be observed in their respective time. You get my point?
Re: Am I Allowed To Miss Solat Because I Went For Classes? by Nobody: 11:23am On Jan 27, 2013
siddiq202:
That's exactly what I'm talking about, the zuhr prayer starts before two in short here in Lagos state it starts some minutes before one o'clock and asr prayer ends before sunset.
My point, you can observe your zuhr prayer before the exam and asr prayer after the exam both prayers will thereby still be observed in their respective time. You get my point?

Yes you can pray Zuhr before the exams, but you can't pray Asr when the sun is setting. Prayers in Islam should not be said when the sun is rising or setting.
Re: Am I Allowed To Miss Solat Because I Went For Classes? by siddiq202(m): 11:38am On Jan 27, 2013
Wow! Sun setting by 5? Which part of Nigeria is that? That means Mogrib will start around six? in that case I dont know how you should go about it
Re: Am I Allowed To Miss Solat Because I Went For Classes? by maclatunji: 3:21pm On Jan 27, 2013
siddiq202: Wow! Sun setting by 5? Which part of Nigeria is that? That means Mogrib will start around six? in that case I dont know how you should go about it

The sun doesn't set anywhere in Nigeria by 5pm. Fellis, I get your point but that your window is way too large now.
Re: Am I Allowed To Miss Solat Because I Went For Classes? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jan 27, 2013
maclatunji:
The sun doesn't set anywhere in Nigeria by 5pm. Fellis, I get your point
ok, if you say so.
What about when the paper starts by 3 and ends 6?
but that your window is way too large now.
I don't understand.
Re: Am I Allowed To Miss Solat Because I Went For Classes? by tbaba1234: 5:06pm On Jan 27, 2013
fellis:
ok, if you say so.
I don't understand.

Still gives you an hour to pray.

A friend of mine left the exam hall once to go pray and came back to complete the paper. I have not had that kind of situation though.
Re: Am I Allowed To Miss Solat Because I Went For Classes? by maclatunji: 6:47pm On Jan 27, 2013
fellis:
ok, if you say so.
I don't understand.

I get your point on not praying at the time of rising and setting of the sun but the period for not praying from Asr into Magrib is very much less than 1 hour in my estimation

In your 6pm example, try to pray as soon as you leave examination hall now. The rules aren't very friendly to not praying on time.

InshaAllah, I will seek to find something definitive tomorrow.
Re: Am I Allowed To Miss Solat Because I Went For Classes? by IbrahimB: 11:57am On Jan 28, 2013
Not praying for sunset and sunrise is only for Nafilah. If you missed a fard prayer you must repay it as soon as you are able to. The window for Asr is from late afternoon to sunset. You must repay your Asr before Maghrib time.

@OP Islam understands the issue of aggravating circumstances, and looks at people's intentions. For some people, it is practically impossible to say Salat at their stated times due to the nature of their jobs (e.g. a Pilot, Surgeon, Student sitting exams etc). Consistently missing a class, might harm a student's performance in school. Some scholars believe, combining prayers (for aggravating circumstances other than traveling) is permitted. Otherwise, one should repay the prayer as soon as one is able to (even if the time for the prayer has passed).

Allah intends ease for you, and He does not want to make things difficult for you Qur'an 2: 185
But if one is forced by necessity without willful disobedience nor transgressing due limits, then there is no sin on him Qur'an 2:173

I think this is an issue for each person to analyze by himself/ herself and arrive at a decision with pure intention. May God forgive our shortcomings.

1 Like

Re: Am I Allowed To Miss Solat Because I Went For Classes? by IbrahimB: 12:02pm On Jan 28, 2013
maclatunji:

I get your point on not praying at the time of rising and setting of the sun but the period for not praying from Asr into Magrib is very much less than 1 hour in my estimation

In your 6pm example, try to pray as soon as you leave examination hall now. The rules aren't very friendly to not praying on time.

InshaAllah, I will seek to find something definitive tomorrow.

This is in the case of Nigeria. In some countries, the sun could set around 4pm, when exams and classes could still be in progress. We must look at the problem holistically.
Re: Am I Allowed To Miss Solat Because I Went For Classes? by maclatunji: 1:09pm On Jan 28, 2013
What is the rule of delaying prayers beyond their proper times at particular times of education and training at school, what should be done? Is it permissible to perform prayers by combining two prayers?

A Brief Description of the Question:

What is the rule of delaying prayers beyond their proper times at particular times of education and training at school, what should be done? Is it permissible to perform prayers by combining two prayers?

The Answer:

Salah (Prayer) is one of the most important worships ordered to be performed by our religion, Islam. After reciting the kalima shahadah, it is the first one of the five principles upon which Islam is founded. It is obligatory without an exception to every Muslim who is sane and has reached the age of puberty. Its obligation is explicit in the Holy Book, Sunnah (the sayings and living habits of Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h)) and ijma (consensus of scholars). It is one of the great sins to skip or delay a prayer beyond its proper time and to make up for it at a later time without an excuse. Therefore, it is important for every Muslim to perform daily prayers at designated times and not to delay a prayer beyond its proper time unless there is a legitimate excuse that makes delaying permissible.

According to Islamic principles, no one is enjoined to exercise something that s/he is not able to fulfill and no one will be held responsible for that. As a matter of fact, the following is stated in the Qur’an:

“On no soul doth Allah Place a burden greater than it can bear” (al-Baqara, 2/286)

Therefore, a person who is not able to perform a prayer at its designated time with a valid excuse and then make up for it at a later time will not be held responsible from religious viewpoint. However, those who do not perform prayers at their designated times without a valid excuse and make up for it at a later time will not escape the responsibility for carrying out the order of performing prayers at designated times. These people need to repent for their sins and, perform good deeds and extra worships to compensate their responsibility.

In Islam, specific times are designated for worships such as prayers and fasting. In case of missing any one of designated times for worships, not performing the worship but making up for it will be in question. It is mandatory to perform mandatory prayers at their designated times. It is considered a great sin to miss a prayer without an excuse. Even though making up for a prayer that has been missed removes the duty of the prayer, the sin caused by delaying the prayer beyond its proper time still proceeds. For this reason, a person who has made up for a prayer s/he missed needs to repent to Allah. With excuses such as fear of enemy or a pregnant woman being afraid of her child’s death, mandatory prayer may be delayed beyond its proper time to be made up for at a later time. Fear of a thief and a highwayman for a passenger is included in the scope of the fear of enemy. (1)

Daily tasks, jobs and occupations, and journeys cannot be regarded as excuses for delaying prayers beyond their proper times. The following is stated in the Qur’an:

“Those men, whom neither any bargain nor any trade distracts from the Remembrance of Allah and from establishing the prayer and from paying the charity – they fear the day when the hearts and the eyes will be overturned” (an-Nur, 24/37).

When Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h) was asked about what deed was more virtuous, he responded that it was the prayer performed at the first part of its designated time. (2)

The Messenger of Allah was prevented from performing four prayers by Mushriks (polytheists) during the Battle of Khandaq, even some part of night had already passed. Finally, the Messenger of Allah, ordered Bilal Habashi to recite the adhan. Bilal recited the adhan, then the iqama and they performed the zuhr (noon) prayer. Then, he recited the iqama and they performed the asr (afternoon) prayer; then he recited the iqama and they performed the maghrib (evening) prayer, and then he recited the iqama and they performed the isha (night) prayer. Abu Said al-Khudri (may Allah be pleased with him) said that the following verse was sent down in the meantime:

“And Allah turned back the Unbelievers for (all) their fury: no advantage did they gain; and enough is Allah for the believers in their fight. And Allah is full of Strength, able to enforce His Will” (al-Ahzab, 33/ 25)

However, during the Battle of Khandaq, the verse concerning the fear prayer had not been sent down yet. Allah, the Almighty, states the following in that verse:

“But if you are in danger, [pray] walking or riding; and when you are again secure, bear God in mind - since it is He who taught you what you did not previously know.” (al-Baqara 2/239: see also an-Nisa 4/101-103)

Accordingly, it is not permissible for a student to miss a prayer for school. It is necessary to pay attention to prayer times, perform ablution beforehand if possible and at least perform the mandatory part of prayers. If there is no possibility of performing prayers during breaks, it is necessary to ask permission from teachers or authorized people to perform prayers at designated times. If that prayer has not been performed, then one needs to consider it as a sin and ask for repentance as soon as possible, and make up for the prayer and be careful not to delay a prayer beyond its proper time again.

That being said, if there is no possibility at all and it is not possible to resolve it, then it will be permissible for them to intend to combine prayers and perform one prayer after the other at home.

http://www.questionsonislam.com/question/what-rule-delaying-prayers-beyond-their-proper-times-particular-times-education-and-trainin

2 Likes

Re: Am I Allowed To Miss Solat Because I Went For Classes? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jan 28, 2013
Thank you maclatunji and Ibrahim. I really appreciate your posts, they were enlightening.
Thanks again.

(1) (Reply)

Pre-order Your Sallah Rams / Questions & Answers On Mutah,mutah Is Zina / A Jewel Everyday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.