Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,949 members, 7,863,369 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 04:24 PM

Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! (14197 Views)

Repulsive Odour Forces Reps To Adjourn Till Nov 17 / Reps To Strip President Of Power Over Oil Licences / Ondo To Ban Sale Of Coffins Near Hospitals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by messiah147: 1:21pm On Jan 23, 2013
ifihearam: Is this the problem of Nigeriainstead of making favorable laws and bringing to the grass root the dividends of democracy you are here doin rubbish and some of you senseless ones will heap every decay on his excellency the president of the federal republic.
This is one of the dividends of democracy because it cared about your health.....
Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by adaptor4all: 1:23pm On Jan 23, 2013
Its quite pitiful n painful dat dis is d kinda topic our lawmakers nw sit 2 discuss,comparin us wt countries dt have settled evri oda sector f dia economy asides d welfare f d youth..Maybe 1 of dt man's kids is runnin mad on weed n energy drinks..dts y he has got much intrest in d topic cos all he said 2 me seem personal...
Is it evri1 dt abuses energy drinks??..Despite d no of my patients dt present wt alcoholic cardiomyopathy,I stil drink wella..js dt I always drink wt my best friend,Moderation
Banning of energy drinks in Nigeria is highly uncalled for cos d people wil always seek an alternative,probably 1 wt worse outcome..shikeena

2 Likes

Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by Blueboy0402: 1:29pm On Jan 23, 2013
Indeed our house of representathieves are bereft of ideas. There are lots of issues threatning this country to the very fabric of her foundation yet all they know is sit in the hallowed chamber, eat groundnut, kolanut and chew gum.

I'm not against any genuine debate in the house that is aimed at improving the health of Nigerians but for goodness sake why do these people always set the cart before the horse? When will this political gerrymandering stop? When will these abracadabra politicians stop to bamboozle us? Who's deceiving who?
Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by DidiLove1: 1:31pm On Jan 23, 2013
Basic: If you're still doubting the fact that energy drinks are very, very dangerous to health, read this article (6 bitter truths manufacturers never told you about energy drinks):
http://vitalhealthinfo.com/side-effects-of-energy-drinks

So why does NAFDAC approve these drinks for consumption?
Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by metti(m): 1:34pm On Jan 23, 2013
Justosaus: Energy drinks have often been described
as drinks that have potentially dangerous health consequences, the dangers lying in the high levels of caffeine contained in them. For this and other reasons, the House of Representatives on Tuesday moved to ban the importation and sale of caffeinated drinks, popularly known as ‘energy drinks’, in the country.

Following a motion sponsored by a member, Yacoob Bush-Alebiosu, the house directed its Joint Committee on Health/Commerce to investigate the importation and distribution of the drinks. According to Punch, Bush-Alebiosu listed Germany, Norway, France and Denmark among some of the countries that had banned the sale of the drinks in their jurisdiction “as a result of health risks caused by the consumption of energy drinks, including reported cases of deaths.” He said that research conducted by the Cardiovascular

Research Centre at the Royal Adeliade Hospital and Adeliade University in Southern Australia reveals a link between students consuming a particular brand of energy drink and the unstable state of their hearts.

Bush-Alebiosu added that many brands of the drinks had flooded the country, as consumers were also mixing them with alcoholic drinks. The drinks are now first choice beverages among young people, especially on campuses, bars, clubs and social functions across the country. He said, “These drinks are being mixed with alcoholic drinks and become more deadly as they tend to mask the level of intoxication already settled in the bodies of the consumers of this mixture, thereby allowing young adults to consume much more alcohol than normal, which often times lead to young people passing out after such in- take and also an increase in road accidents involving such people.”

The lawmaker raised some pertinent points here. What are your thoughts on the sale and consumption of energy drinks and the move by the House of Reps to ban its sale and importation in Nigeria? Is this a good step?

http://www.bellanaija.com/2013/01/23/house-of-reps-move-to-ban-sale-of-energy-drinks-in-nigeria/?utm_source=Bella&utm_medium=twitter

Please what is the role of NAFDAC? The agency is suppose to come up with these and not house or representaTHIEFS.

1 Like

Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by AbdulAdam56(m): 1:41pm On Jan 23, 2013
Go nd ban corruption first or boko haram,not energy drinks,maggots leaders,any one of our leaders tryin 2 carve corruption let God crush him,can hear Amen?
Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by wonlasewonimi: 1:44pm On Jan 23, 2013
If they are not banning mini skirts they would be banning energy drinks...useless people.
Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by jhydebaba(m): 1:51pm On Jan 23, 2013
Nija lawmakers are follow follow joor.
Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by babyboy3(m): 1:53pm On Jan 23, 2013
I have stopped drinking them almost 4 years ago.................... its like you are drinking a glass of water with compressed sugar
Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jan 23, 2013
J12: Make dem no ban zobo abeg.
how zobo take concern the drinks that are been talked about by d reps ?
Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by crazygod(m): 1:56pm On Jan 23, 2013
I hope it doesn't affect oroki.....
Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by piero2u(m): 1:59pm On Jan 23, 2013
These Reps people are obviously jobless and dumb people. Why should they ban my precious energy drinks when they have not yet banned cigarettes which is killing million. If I want to drink my energy drink and die, is it their business? angry angry angry
Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by etudaddy(m): 2:04pm On Jan 23, 2013
E be like say our reps no get work again
Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by kevoh(m): 2:06pm On Jan 23, 2013
Jazzgreen: A psychiatrist was conducting a group therapy with for young mothers and their children.You all have obsessions the doctor said.
1. He said to the 1st mother, you are obsessed with food you even named your daughter CANDY.
2. The 2nd mother. Your obsession is with money you named your daughter PENNY.
3. He looks to the 3rd mother, your obsession is wit alcohol you named yourchild BRANDY.
4. At this point the 4th mother gets up, takes her little boy by the hand and says, "Come on DICK, we're leaving". -abeg wats her own obsession
grin
Atari Video game! That's her obsession tongue
Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by buJu234: 2:09pm On Jan 23, 2013
can someone plz tell the first 5 function of the senators & Reps.; then tick the ones that have really performed well since 2012.

if feel this guys really dont have any better vision for this country. how many laws that will help the economy and infrastructure; have they passed...?
Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by OKEMKPI: 2:12pm On Jan 23, 2013
The only Energy and health drink in nigeria as at today is BIZZUP.Specially formulated to highest health standard.It is not caffinated like other junks in the market but a bit more expensive.For more info call 08134290654.
Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by klax(m): 2:14pm On Jan 23, 2013
But sometimes the way some people reason do baffles me a lot as a matter of fact our house of Rep has really shown they are very jobless, ineffective, silly, unexposed, nuisance and cowards.

Energy drink is all over the world so let the f u c king silly thinkers tell me what make Nigeria case different. BAn this, Ban that one day they would Ban people from even talking. Ban, Ban, Ban but will never Ban themselves for looting, will never Ban themselves for being ineffective, will never Ban themselves from building houses for girlfriend from tax payers money but want to Ban energy drink instead for them "To compell the company that produce them to minimize and control the level of Caffeine they are using in the production of these drinks" that is all.

To be honest with you guys you will agree with me this step has an undertone possibly as I learnt one of them want to get the Licence for the production of this drink and was refused and he vow to fight the drink out of the market this is the truth of the matter not because of caffeine blablablabla all is about all these thieves callED Rep. or whatever. Nonsense!!!

1 Like

Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by mrragger: 2:15pm On Jan 23, 2013
Na wa ooo.so notin 4 boys anymore[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by lonelydora: 2:16pm On Jan 23, 2013
they have even reminded me, one dey my fridge dey chill...... i will take now now.
Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by equily(m): 2:34pm On Jan 23, 2013
Nah wetin concern agboro wit overload,,,,,,,,,,,BTw, wetin go hpn 2 alcohol??we go c nah!!!!!!!!! no b naija we dey
Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by nlofficial(m): 2:48pm On Jan 23, 2013
I barely take it. My bro has long told me that it is not good for the health.
Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jan 23, 2013
If there's nothing more to legislate on, abeg mk d House go on their 'accumulatd' recess instd of treating us to political tragi-comedy.
D upper and lower houses of d Nass enjoy some level of stability at d expense of d masses. Issues on d floor are reminiscent of village elders council whr grey hair and 'accomplishment' supercedes logic.
Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by creativemusic: 3:30pm On Jan 23, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by dady12: 3:46pm On Jan 23, 2013
rep i thank una for bringing us what we dont hope for,the question is,is this the cause of plane clash,governor motor accident,germany check up by the rulling class,povery in nigeria,unemployment at a higher rate,infastrural decay and curruption at all level? i am strongly beleive that someone have problm wth the presidency so this is the way to succeed him,you are there to pass law for the benefit of the masses,so our problm in naija is energy drinks,go ahead , useless poeple

1 Like

Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by plendil: 3:53pm On Jan 23, 2013
might as well ban coffee, panadol extra and kola nuts while we're at it. undecided undecided undecided

#SMH @ such egregious joblessness.
Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by stupor(m): 3:53pm On Jan 23, 2013
Our reps should leave issues of carnage nature alone,can u imagine ? Deliberating on Energy drinks ! When issues more appealing are outstanding over-logged down.

What calibre of national representative swirl around the Nigerian Parliamentary quarters for Gods sake with little or no creativity and massive craving for corruption,destruction and extortionicisms !

We have better Nigerians to do this job and I hope next dispensation our people,votes credibilty rather than mediocrity.

What a calamity !

Can drinks. ooops !
Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jan 23, 2013
Ikengawo: I'm currently drinking one as we speak.
why re Nigerians too stuborn? Its not good 4ur health and ur happy consuming one.
Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by redsun(m): 4:38pm On Jan 23, 2013
Proper whole foods diets are the key to stable energy,not some sugary, poisonous,toxic and depressive drinks.

The thieves got it right this time around.
Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by Symphony007: 4:39pm On Jan 23, 2013
Why can't you let people make their decision or a few regulations. Rather they want to put the importers of the drinks out of buisness and into poverty. Alcohol has been proven to cause liver damage why has'nt it been ban? Cigarrets kills, why has it been ban? Petty legislating!
Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by 1forall: 4:50pm On Jan 23, 2013
As they lack the political will to do anything useful for the people they ought to serve they are left with no choice but to major in minor things. These guys have nothing to offer us.

Make dem declare their salary dem no gree, make dem pursue Farouk Lawan na lie, but instead na:

SIM card registration
Countless worthless probes
Same sex marriage
Now na energy drinks

For parliament? undecided Chei Naija don suffer! cry

1 Like

Re: Reps To Ban Sale Of Energy Drinks! by nokingasgod: 4:53pm On Jan 23, 2013
Justosaus: Energy drinks have often been described
as drinks that have potentially dangerous health consequences, the dangers lying in the high levels of caffeine contained in them. For this and other reasons, the House of Representatives on Tuesday moved to ban the importation and sale of caffeinated drinks, popularly known as ‘energy drinks’, in the country.

Following a motion sponsored by a member, Yacoob Bush-Alebiosu, the house directed its Joint Committee on Health/Commerce to investigate the importation and distribution of the drinks. According to Punch, Bush-Alebiosu listed Germany, Norway, France and Denmark among some of the countries that had banned the sale of the drinks in their jurisdiction “as a result of health risks caused by the consumption of energy drinks, including reported cases of deaths.” He said that research conducted by the Cardiovascular

Research Centre at the Royal Adeliade Hospital and Adeliade University in Southern Australia reveals a link between students consuming a particular brand of energy drink and the unstable state of their hearts.

Bush-Alebiosu added that many brands of the drinks had flooded the country, as consumers were also mixing them with alcoholic drinks. The drinks are now first choice beverages among young people, especially on campuses, bars, clubs and social functions across the country. He said, “These drinks are being mixed with alcoholic drinks and become more deadly as they tend to mask the level of intoxication already settled in the bodies of the consumers of this mixture, thereby allowing young adults to consume much more alcohol than normal, which often times lead to young people passing out after such in- take and also an increase in road accidents involving such people.”

The lawmaker raised some pertinent points here. What are your thoughts on the sale and consumption of energy drinks and the move by the House of Reps to ban its sale and importation in Nigeria? Is this a good step?

http://www.bellanaija.com/2013/01/23/house-of-reps-move-to-ban-sale-of-energy-drinks-in-nigeria/?utm_source=Bella&utm_medium=twitter

Upon the myriads of problems facing the nation requiring urgent legislation, our dear legislators are wasting resources on energy drinks. THis is laughable especially because the reasons for the exercise was because it was ban in some countries and some foreign institutions published papers against it. At least the sponsors could have sponsored a local research into the subject matter before moving to legislation and by the way, what is the functioons of NAFDAC and why did Parliament usurp its powers. I beg, enough of this comedy.

To me it is what we called ''dissipating energy treating ringworm at the expense of leprosy''

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Deported Isa Muazu Returns To London. / EndSARS: No Evidence That Soldiers Killed Anyone At Lekki Toll Gate - US / Mob Kills Suspected Bomber In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.