Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,500 members, 7,819,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

Discontinue Okada In Nigeria - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Discontinue Okada In Nigeria (1956 Views)

Registered(nigerian Used) Honda Accord DISCONTINUE CONTINUE Year 2007 Auto Drive / Registered(nigerian Used) Honda Accord DISCONTINUE CONTINUE Year 2007 / No Going Back On Okada Restriction ─ LASG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by Rlst84sale(m): 9:04am On Mar 04, 2008
Okada has been responsible for the death and maiming of many innocent Nigerians without them or their family been justly compensated. I think the government should completely wipe out okada as means of commercial transportation especially in big cities. If you disagree with me however, what do you think should be the right thing or way to run it and make it meet civilized standard?
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by bigfather(m): 9:16pm On Mar 04, 2008
Bros,
That ain't the solution,there should be rules and regulations binding each body or organisation operating the okada. cool
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by Teejay07(m): 11:46pm On Mar 04, 2008
Hi,

let me share this with u.

Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by bigfather(m): 12:24am On Mar 05, 2008
That is what i call EXTREME MEASURE ! shocked
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by reality4us(m): 9:03am On Mar 05, 2008
Banning Okada and will multiply the already large number of armed robbers and social miscreants we have in the country. The issue is that those who are supposed to regulate the activities of the Okada business are only interested in collecting egunje from them. I have seen many Okadas without registration numbers, seen many carrying up to three people at a time and I am yet to see an Okada rider wearing helmet. They hardly obey traffic regulations, infact which one do I write and not write for they are quite countless.
God save us.
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by reindeer: 12:30am On Mar 06, 2008
The okada issue is really a bad one, i suggest a four year phase out plan, with strict regulations coming into play along the line.
anyways one other thing that should be done is to guillotine any governor that doles out okadas as part of 'poverty eradication programs' cos to me those schemes sound more like 'eradication of poor people'!
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by henry007(m): 12:37am On Mar 06, 2008
pass on dat one oh.wat!!! my life wld be ova oh
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by lami4life(f): 3:28pm On Mar 12, 2008
Even where the fatalities aren't as extreme as maiming and death, the havoc d okadas wreak on the cars leaves much to be desired.Gone are the days when they used to keep a safe distance from new cars. Now they are so , so, abrasive & carefree. You need to see my less than 6months old car - all dents and scratches angry and before u say 'my car', they have dissappeared. its so unfair! So, so disheartening. cry
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by fotodaddy: 3:42pm On Mar 12, 2008
The solution is not a ban on okada but educating people. I have said this before, the taste of the pudding is in the eating. For you to know the real position of things stop an okada man and get his view.

Go to the hospitals and see things for yourself. More people are in the emergency wards from car accidents than from okada crashes.

Yes I agree that they ride without regard to other road users but so do the typical molue and trailer drivers. These people need education. no banning!! If we had a system in place where people are penalized for breaking traffic laws, then you will see the okada's behaving. And not only them but even the car drivers. What has a car driver running a red light, hitting an okada and breaking the man's legs got to do with the bad riding of the okada.

I ride an okada and I will tell you, everybody wants to go to heaven but no body wants to die, Okadists included. But when we are in a place where anything goes, what do you expect. You would also beat the traffic light and in brak so many other rules if you knew that the risk of getting caught is very slim or negligible.

So lets face the real issues. Not the symptoms of them.
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by fotodaddy: 3:49pm On Mar 12, 2008
Check out this mumu and ponder. They passed me doing 70km/h. Is he riding a car?? And if so what would happen if,

Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by reindeer: 12:07am On Mar 13, 2008
i disagree!
I work in an emergency room and we have at least one okada accident victim a day! with injuries ranging from mild bruises to commonly fractures and even deaths! so theres no good in okada, at least we were surviving in nija before they became rampant in the 1990s. lets ban them and then we can save families from the financial burdens of managing fractures, okadas were never designed to be used for mass transit they are nothing but nuisances!!!
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 12:17am On Mar 13, 2008
Abeg o

they have to stop them

These Okada people almost killed me! shocked cry

I saw one guy die in my front, when he hit a car and flew like 300 miles away! shocked cry

Thank God Abuja took the initiative!
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by fotodaddy: 9:01am On Mar 13, 2008
@gamine
It like you really dont know what you want or cant make up your mind. Here you say stop them and on the other thread "Bikers in Naija" you say "You people keep the biking spirit up ooo! its so wundefully coool" What are you really saying!!

Anyway, thank God say no be una dey for power grin

Okada people, go on buddy!!!
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by texazzpete(m): 10:03am On Mar 13, 2008
fotodaddy:

@gamine
It like you really don't know what you want or can't make up your mind. Here you say stop them and on the other thread "Bikers in Naija" you say "You people keep the biking spirit up ooo! its so wundefully coool" What are you really saying!!

Anyway, thank God say no be una dey for power grin

Okada people, go on buddy!!!

Stalking, eh?

It doesn't make sense to ban okadas, simply because hundreds of thousands of Nigerians rely on bikes for transport. thousands of Nigerians also ride okadas as a means of livelihood, and taking this away can lead to them turning to crime.

I vote for proper education for Okada riders. Show all of 'em a video of the 'okada ward' in Igbobi. that'll put the fear of God in them.
Also, ensure they all use hard-hats (helmets) and arrest any okada rider on the spot if he doesn't have side-mirrors. most okada riders break 'em off, whereas they are supposed to allow the guys know what's coming behind.
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 12:00pm On Mar 13, 2008
what is wrong with dis fake fotodaddy.

Okada riding is different from Power/pleasure riding

ok!
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by sultaan(m): 12:44pm On Mar 13, 2008
Improve roads and 1/4 problem solved.Have them take riding test be4 license and another 1/4 solve.Remaining 1/2 of casualties will be preventable accidents.
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by fotodaddy: 1:56pm On Mar 13, 2008
Na wah o!!! So becos I dey quote some people na him I don turn to fake stalker!! grin Abeg try to kow person. I no be fake person. You fit check my profile. And I no dey stalk. I just dey follow biking threads and as I come dey so sharp I come dey notice things. If that na my crime, I deg forgive me grin

But meanwhile this is always the story I hear: Okada is different from power bikes!! tongue And this only comes from people who dont ride. So how do you know that there is a difference when you no dey partake. If you dey game, make I come carry you for my bike then you go see how e be.

But I am always ready to learn; SO what is or are the differences

My comments on discontinuing of Okada in Nigeria remain!!
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 1:36pm On Mar 14, 2008
FotoFaddy.

DotoDaddy.

When i ride a powerbike,
i will ride with all the gear.

How can you compare that to OKada
where the riders dont even know what a helmet is
people who dont even care for their lifes and others!

pls think squarely!
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by fotodaddy: 1:46pm On Mar 14, 2008
Gamine, Take it easy now. The name is fotodaddy, Abi you need eye glass grin

I beg have mercy!! wink

If the diference is wearing protective gear, then I can show you so many people, here and away who ride without gear.

I am still waiting to learn at your feet of wisdom, the diference between okada and power bike riding.
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 6:23pm On Mar 15, 2008
LOL
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:50am On Mar 17, 2008
Gamine:

FotoFaddy.

DotoDaddy.

When i ride a powerbike,
i will ride with all the gear.

How can you compare that to OKada
where the riders don't even know what a helmet is
people who don't even care for their lifes and others!

please think squarely!

so its now a class thing, eh? those illiterate proles who don't care about their lives.

its only dyed in the wool aje buttas ( who grew up with chaffeurs( not drivers) and our parents' generation that want okadas banned

any doctor/nurse who has spent time in the emergency oom has reservations about okadas

buit the fact of the matter is okadas are just too convenient, especially in cities like lagos. don't worry gamine, when you start work have to get to a big meeting in 10 mins and there is go slow everywhere, lets see what you will do. get there late and start spouting ' there was holdup' .
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 1:44am On Mar 18, 2008
u am not talking out of lack of Xperience.

i have been on okadas several times

and now i hv the mark to show, i flew off the bike 100miles ph on asphalt
AAAAArgh!

anyways i know how convenient they are
but the drivers are just too ignorant!
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:44am On Mar 18, 2008
ah . . .sorry. . . undecided

i hope nothing was broken.

its something thats often in the back of my mind when i ride an okada - today could be the day. . .when your luck turns sour. . .
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by DatNiggaAk(m): 4:57pm On Mar 18, 2008
[b]i dont support the idea that okadas should be banned(though the ban reduced okada related accidents in abuja to the satellite towns)
banning okada is a lazy mans solution to solving a problem that needs to be fixed which unfortunately is the bane of our leaders.
nigeria looses a lot of revenue that should accrue to it because officials of FRSC,NPF,VIO etc are not ready to properly carry out their duties
1. every okada man should have a driving lincense(after carrying out the necessary driving test)
2. okada riders should wear a helmet and better still have one for their passenger
3. every okada should be registered and display their number plates at all times

i strongly believe that if this three points above are enforced by the FRSC, VIO and police, the number of okada related accidents will reduce,
we will have saner riders on the road, there will be more revenue generated from fines collected from offenders.
our urban/rural transportation system in naija is totally messed up so you cant do without okadas and secondly how many of our cities are properly planned? how many of you live in areas where the roads are all tarred(100%)?there are lots of places that a taxi(bus or car)will refuse to ply that an okada will ply.
i can remember when my car was bad last year and i had to go to abuja.i swore not to go to abj again till i bought another car(i spent xmas new yr in minna)from the moment i landed i knew i was in trouble.i will just give you a breakdown of how much i spent on day one out of three.
jabi park to pops house at wuse 2(N250.00)
wuse 2 to apo legislative qtrs(N200.00)
apo qtrs to gudu market (N200.00)
GUDU mkt to garki police station(N150.00)
that was where i stopped because a friend came to pick me up from there.tell me how many nigerians can afford that.i only spent that much because i was angry and went to arrest my mechanic.if i was sane,i would have called a friend and collected his car if he was not free.
so please dont say the authorities should discontinue okada in nigeria.that is an elitist way of looking at the problem.
if the proper authorities do their jobs properly,then the problem would be reduced.
thanks for your time
[/b]
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 9:26pm On Mar 18, 2008
@Oyb

i had been so scared of it, i only wore trousers

if i was going to take a bike

but i guess luck wasnt on my side when i decided to wear shorts.

I had no broken part, Thank God!

but i had a serious burn on my leg, the mark is still there sad

i checked my glasses when i fell.lol funny things we do, my leg was bleeding n all

AAwww, terrible! terrible!
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by fotodaddy: 4:56pm On Mar 19, 2008
welome to the club gamine. You are now officially a biker girl.

The burn you have is called road rash and it will only go away with a skin graft. Sorry!! But I can tell you from experience, your trousers would not have helped much. And what I can tell you for sure is that you couldnt have been doing over 50km/h. I know of someone who fell at fell of at eighty and is dead.

Without protective gear, ever fall is a potential step to the grave.

However, the problem is not the bikes but we, who use them!!

So why should we ban them when people who use them are irresponsible or don't fully grasp whats at stake. Hello!!!!
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 7:49pm On Mar 19, 2008
LOl
i guess embarassed

i just want pple to be safe embarassed
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:06am On Mar 27, 2008
Okada is only a reflection of bad governance and ignorance on the part of the motorists we have in Nigeria. Molue and Danfo are also guilty of the atrocities being commited by okada. So if it has to be banned, molue and danfo have to be banned too.
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by Teejay07(m): 7:12am On Mar 27, 2008
I do agree that okada has caused a lot of heartache in Nigeria. Lots of lives have been destroyed through poor handling of the bikes by riders. However, that is not to say we should throw away the babywith the bathwater. Rather, what is required is proper orientation of the riders by the police e.t.c. and a conscious effort about safety by we the passengers.

Only that will stem the continuous injury and death associated with bad riding habit in Nigeria. Okada, to me, like every other attempt at making life easy at an affordable rate, has come to stay.

Orientation of the riders and caution by passengers is what we need.
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by reindeer: 1:15am On Mar 30, 2008
It usually takes a very hard lesson to come to terms with the fact that these okadas are accidents waiting to happen,
do you ever think that we have a government in place that will implement policies to make it safer? and while we wait for that great leader, how many more poor families become poorer becuase the breadwinner is rotting away at gbobi?Lets be factual, we cant just have that govt of our dreams in nija and i suppose then the main solution wil be to outlaw the daredevils called okada men,
how many of you guys have noticed the invasion of the business by northerners who now hardly speak english talkless of understanding road signs and they way they move, oh my God, just seems to butress my belief that many northerners are kamikazees!
Solution, Otherwise ban grin!
Re: Discontinue Okada In Nigeria by blacksta(m): 8:33am On Mar 30, 2008
Kudos to everybody who have contributed to this debate. What we need in nigeria is a revolution the sort we find in kenya,the russian state and tibet . People in our country are just to comfortable with all this abnormalities. Okada drivers are not the problem, people just have to survive.I would rather have an okada rider than an armed robber u chose?  what we need is a complete overhaul of the present system and government. We need people who are not self centered very important God fearing. The change starts from us because we have waited for it to happen from the top but all to no avail.  Can you imagine we are still struggling with the primitive way of generating electricity while other nations are moving to other forms of generation. The question is why don't we harness the power of the sun?

(1) (Reply)

2005 Toyota Corolla. / 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe For Quick Sale / Nigeria Used Bmw 323i 2000 Model

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.