Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,829 members, 7,806,329 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:53 PM

Driver Preaching On The Steering - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Driver Preaching On The Steering (13308 Views)

Video Of Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Crying While Preaching On Stage / His Pastor Shared His Confidential Information While Preaching / Pastor Shot To Death While Preaching During Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Driver Preaching On The Steering by sucrecandy(m): 12:31pm On Jan 26, 2013
So, it was the early hours of a monday morning, the usual boisterous noise of people rushing to work, horns blaring here and there, i had woken up a little bit late than usual, in the mad rush, i ruled out the possibility of taking the BRT bus to save time, i was still shock-stranded at abule egba bus stop thinking of how to get to the lagos island and arrive in the office not later than 8:15 fully aware that any minute i dangle after that would send a cold query flying into my email from my mean, insatiable boss.

I was still making my mental journey when this private taxi cab stopped infront of me, the driver shouting "V.I! V.I!" . I hurriedly rushed into the car muttering "thank you God" under my breath. The driver drove off immediately as the car filled up in a minute. We had barely drove into the highroad going towards oshodi when this driver went off: "Good morning brethren, you know looking at the things happening around us today, its no doubt the end is near, and the son of God would come for his people".

At first i thought he was just going to say a few words of prayer but instead he continued "you fornicators, adulterers, thieves its time you give your life to christ". He went on for another 10 minutes. Puzzled, I then looked around only to find out the other people in the car didn't find any discomfort as I did as they all felt cool and relaxed to the sermon. Don't get me wrong, I'm a believer and a practising christian, I'm no saint, but I do my bit, keep the faith and pray to God too, but to have this old man here preaching and at the same time controlling the wheels is just out of it.

As if I was sharing same thoughts with the devil, an overtaking danfo bus in top speed brushed past us, and the driver in his half-focused state took to the brakes in a very sharp thud causing the car to jerk upwards, immediately i shouted angrily to the driver to "STOP THE SILLY PREACHING" and focus on the driving. To my amazement only few of the other passengers joined me to caution the driver. He still wouldn't budge.

Our counter-attack became his fuel, he raised his tone a decibel higher, he quoted the scriptures, he screamed, he preached but I didn't let him win, I attacked him, ranted, screamed too, I made sure I made him uncomfortable and his noisy preaching met with very noisy tantrums.

It was not until he dropped me off, and i was walking into the office that this throat strangling thing called conscience got hold of me. I began to think i might have been the "Black Devil with two short horns" in the whole episode.

I'm not just gonna sit and let my conscience bully me the more that's why I decided to share it here, wat do you think? Have I done the right thing?

Honest answers please!

-Sucre

3 Likes

Re: Driver Preaching On The Steering by obisage(m): 1:18pm On Jan 26, 2013
guy u did more than the best thing...
if it were me i will do more...
i am a Christian and I know i read my bible
but when some ppl decide to make life uncomfortable in the name of preaching is unacceptable
it is rude and inconsiderate to disturb another man with your own believe
that is why i love Jehovah Witness, they do their preaching one on one and not shouting on top of their voice like mad dogs!!!

6 Likes

Re: Driver Preaching On The Steering by Joagbaje(m): 5:14am On Jan 27, 2013
The driver should be commended by you all for taking daring steps to preach in a very odd way. I like his gut . I may not agree with the content of his message . He should preach Jesus and not condemnation. The question you should rather ask yourself is . "When will I fulfill the great commission"?. The driver is fulfilling his own commission the way he think best,

Philippians 1:18
. . .notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

26 Likes

Re: Driver Preaching On The Steering by Nobody: 6:10am On Jan 27, 2013
Good morning Sucre,

Please do not be too hard on yourself. I am of the opinion that this driver is just being over zealous. He should have realized that what he did was completely against the WILL of God for him at the time.

The job of a driver is very important in the sense that he is responsible for his passengers hence the need for him to drive as safely as possible. But in this case the driver neglected his duties and in the process put the lives of his passengers in mortal danger.

Some persons really do not know how to carry on their Christian calling. We serve God according to our state in life. If one is a house wife, I expect the individual to serve God faithfully in that state. It would be wrong for the house wife to go out to preach at a time she should be at home to cook for the kids and husband.

In the same vein, it is expected that the driver please God by focusing on his driving instead of his preaching. If he wants to preach then he should not drive. Thus, the driver was very wrong and his vehicle should have been impounded by LASTMA.

Having said that, I believe you were also wrong to have challenged the driver at the time you did. He was already distracted and the way you pursued your case has the tendency of making him even more distracted.

I believe the best way of handlling such situation is to calmly ask the driver to stop at the next bus stop, let him know your mind after stopping and please do take another bus or cab cause the driver is an accident waiting to happen.

Thank you!

16 Likes

Re: Driver Preaching On The Steering by Thok(m): 7:18am On Jan 27, 2013
I admire his guts, Preaching is something good, but he was doing the right thing at the wrong time..
Also, u were right to call back his attention, but u did it in a wrong manner which divided his attention. U could have alighted at the next bus stop..
As a Christian,next time show the fruits of the Spirit.

2 Likes

Re: Driver Preaching On The Steering by FXKing2012(m): 7:26am On Jan 27, 2013
Dear OP,
The driver did a great thing by yielding to the call to preach in all corners of the world but the devil tried to use you to stop him - good he didnt stop.
The Bible says angels in heaven rejoice over a single soul that repents here on earth; if his preaching will help save a soul then it's worth it.

The worst case scenerio is you have an accident because he wasnt concentrating, you all die and go to heaven. Heaven is much better than this world, so you should be overly glad to go to heaven.

Remember you will someday be asked by God why you prevented the driver from doing God's work. Perhaps you even prevented a soul from being saved that day and the blood of such is on your head.

The Bible commands us to be meek and set good examples as Christians, where was your meekness on that fateful day? Ask for forgiveness and try to save souls by preaching to make up for your sin.

Mark 16:15 - And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Re: Driver Preaching On The Steering by obalola7: 8:14am On Jan 27, 2013
Both the driver and the OP were wrong.

The driver was wrong in that he did not need more than 10 minutes for that kind of sermon considering the fact that he was driving.
Considering the time, the driver might have result to early morning preaching as his service to God and also a way to prevent him from sleeping.
So if he had design a 10 minutes sermon, which is good enough to make any unbeliever to be save, he would have been exonerated.

The Op was wrong in that he did not suggest alternative for the driver or calmly explaining the reason for his action in a quiet and gentle way so he can see you as angel of light and not the devil he perceived you to be.
As a matter of fact, your argument with him at that time, could cost him to loose control and thereby, cause what is being prevented.
I think, making our opinion know to people with wisdom will let them change than shouting or condemning their action without logic to it
Also, the OP has the option of requesting to be stopped at the nearby bus-stop, considering that the man is the owner of his car and could decide the type of customer service he want to give his passengers and the Op also have the option to reject or accept by opting out of his car.

Gentle talk in the midst of confusion would have resolve the situation with a driver who has just be shocked with a careless danfo driver.

2 Likes

Re: Driver Preaching On The Steering by pacelink(m): 10:50am On Jan 27, 2013
Joagbaje:

The driver should be commended by you all for taking daring steps to preach in a very odd way. I like his gut . I may not agree with the content of his message . He should preach Jesus and not condemnation. The question you should rather ask yourself is . "When will I fulfill the great commission"?. The driver is fulfilling his own commission the way he think best,

. . .notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.
is commission is not 2 disturb oder ple peace also dere is time 4 everytin

1 Like

Re: Driver Preaching On The Steering by Libkid(m): 11:50am On Jan 27, 2013
A typical nigerian.doing d rite tin at d wrong time
Re: Driver Preaching On The Steering by shagaman: 11:52am On Jan 27, 2013
This is part of the reason the country keeps going backwards,must you preach in a bus or cab,This not happen abroad,preaching in the bus,in the office,remember i worked in a company in Naija then,the MD made it mandatory for all staffs for prayers every monday,yet the idiot embezzled over 140 million to send most of us out of job then,the ministries are filled so many crooks disguising as men who are religious...Religion is the opium of the people...

6 Likes

Re: Driver Preaching On The Steering by yam: 12:01pm On Jan 27, 2013
@ 0
shagaman: This is part of the reason the country keeps going backwards,must you preach in a bus or cab,This not happen abroad,preaching in the bus,in the office,remember i worked in a company in Naija then,the MD made it mandatory for all staffs for prayers every monday,yet the idiot embezzled over 140 million to send most of us out of job then,the ministries are filled so many crooks disguising as men who are religious...Religion is the opium of the people...

He was in his private cab........ and d OP came in by choice not by force so wateva u get u bear it..
Re: Driver Preaching On The Steering by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jan 27, 2013
the worst form of preaching is when you open ur mouth sad let people see you and even ask who are you or what motivates you to be so distinct?! cool
Re: Driver Preaching On The Steering by Affiliated(m): 12:03pm On Jan 27, 2013
Some nigerians are brain dead though. How can one support preaching and arguing while driving? This is what religion causes. That guy was willing to sacrifice peoples lives in the belief that He was doing the work of God. The argument that it was his private car is just stupid as long as it wasn't a free ride

11 Likes

Re: Driver Preaching On The Steering by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jan 27, 2013
does any one not wonder why Christ did not disrupt the wedding @ Cana to start preaching? But He quietly turned water into wine without giving NOISY testimonies!!! angry sad undecided

3 Likes

Re: Driver Preaching On The Steering by chreldb(m): 12:11pm On Jan 27, 2013
OP do not allow your conscience to bug for you have done no wrong. IMO the driver was a bit self centred. If he was personally in an emergency situation like rushing his kids to school or the hospital as a result of failing health would he have found time to preach to passers by? People were having an early morning rush to work and there is every likelyhood that they will not really take to heart the sermon being preached because their mind was not really there. That is what tracts are for. The driver could have handed tracts to the passengers to read in their free time. That way he would have fulfilled his duty God in a convenient way with minimum risk. Even the Bible says there is a time for everything. The driver was doing the right thing at the wrong time. My 2 shillings.

1 Like

Re: Driver Preaching On The Steering by stineb1: 12:11pm On Jan 27, 2013
My brother the consciense came from the holy spirit. They devvil decided too use you as añ instrument of distraction. Thank God you got yourself back.Do not mind those people encouraging you about your deed, thesame devil is using them. Im sure if the drivers tópic of discussión were political or economy, you would have gladly contributed without taking offence.
Because it is the Gospel haters are jumping in to criticize the driver. Salvation is not for sale, it is a Free gift from our lord Jesús Christ.Haters Please Stop beefing believers. Join us
Re: Driver Preaching On The Steering by larride(m): 12:15pm On Jan 27, 2013
@OP

You would have told him gently and calmly to concentrate on the driving instead of resulting to screaming and arguement. That being said, the cab driver also should have done things in orderliness.

But I have a question for you OP, why do you feel uncomfortable when he started preaching. Check your personal life with God. If you had listenly gently as the others in the cab, it might be that the message was meant for you and you alone but the devil didn't allow you catch the message. Next time, relax and caution the cab driver when he's not being cautious enough.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Driver Preaching On The Steering by ziccoit: 12:15pm On Jan 27, 2013
shagaman: This is part of the reason the country keeps going backwards,must you preach in a bus or cab,This not happen abroad,preaching in the bus,in the office,remember i worked in a company in Naija then,the MD made it mandatory for all staffs for prayers every monday,yet the idiot embezzled over 140 million to send most of us out of job then,the ministries are filled so many crooks disguising as men who are religious...Religion is the opium of the people...

This is where the problems lock nowadays. They show themselves as men of God even forcing their beliefs onto others not minding your belief system and faith. Yet they embezzle money running into millions of naira. They don't know we worship God by all our deeds and actions. A driver preaching while he supposed to focus on safe driving to make the road safe for him and other motorist is not worshiping God. He is only constituting nuisance to the system. Your employers pay you for 8hrs of work you choose half of the time preaching in office is tantamount to cheating the system. I can go on and on. Nigeria will definetly change for better one day.
Re: Driver Preaching On The Steering by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jan 27, 2013
hmmn, PENSIVELY OBSERVING YOU.....are you sure you understand the Bible @ all? Then you should know that the Holy Spirit is never an author of CONFUSION or CHAOS!

stine b: My brother the consciense came from the holy spirit. They devvil decided too use you as añ instrument of distraction. Thank God you got yourself back.Do not mind those people encouraging you about your deed, thesame devil is using them. Im sure if the drivers tópic of discussión were political or economy, you would have gladly contributed without taking offence.
Because it is the Gospel haters are jumping in to criticize the driver. Salvation is not for sale, it is a Free gift from our lord Jesús Christ.Haters Please Stop beefing believers. Join us
Re: Driver Preaching On The Steering by emperorchi: 12:17pm On Jan 27, 2013
Doing d right thing at d wrong time d naìja way.
Re: Driver Preaching On The Steering by FXKing2012(m): 12:17pm On Jan 27, 2013
stine b: My brother the consciense came from the holy spirit. They devvil decided too use you as añ instrument of distraction. Thank God you got yourself back.Do not mind those people encouraging you about your deed, thesame devil is using them. Im sure if the drivers tópic of discussión were political or economy, you would have gladly contributed without taking offence.
GBAM!!! God bless you my brother...exactly the point I've been making.
The driver is only being condemned because he was preaching, nothing else.
Re: Driver Preaching On The Steering by Muffy2912: 12:17pm On Jan 27, 2013
He was in his private cab........ and d OP came in by choice not by force so wateva u get u bear it..

Private cab you called it.was he doing them a favour or he is out for business.
Re: Driver Preaching On The Steering by drnoel: 12:18pm On Jan 27, 2013
Joagbaje:

it is till he kills people while driving that u will know the driver is fulfiling nothing
Re: Driver Preaching On The Steering by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jan 27, 2013
when you say Peace be unto this House if there be a child of peace therein he shall reply but otherwise the Lord Jesus Christ says if a child of Peace abide not therein you should dust your sandals and......(hope I quoted correctly) so why force people to listen to the word of God?!

2 Likes

Re: Driver Preaching On The Steering by FXKing2012(m): 12:21pm On Jan 27, 2013
Truth of the matter is the OP is possessed for the following reasons:
1)She was so uncomfotable as the preaching started.
2) She started shouting at the man because the demon in her could not stand the preaching.
3) The demon in her wanted to use her to deter others from hearing the Word.

The cab driver is a true MOG for the following reasons:
1) He was ready for God's work anywhere and anytime and in the presence of anybody.
2) When the devil tried using the OP to stop him from preaching, the Spirit in him fought back by preaching even louder.
3) The devil wanted to use the accident to disrupt the preaching because the devil knew the man was preaching the truth which was capable of saving souls.

@OP, what you are unaware of is that probably you were supposed to die that day but the strong MOG (cab driver) saved you because you entered his cab. The devil attempted to take your life that morning but the presence of the man actually saved you.

Repent of your sins OP, ask for forgiveness, give your life to Christ and preach the Word to others.

Stay blessed!
Re: Driver Preaching On The Steering by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jan 27, 2013
there is time for everything under the sun! chaos is driving and engaging in activities capable of distracting you....FYI I TAKE EXCEPTION TO THE BOLDED LETTERS

FXKing2012:

Look at this one, how is the fact that the Holy Spirit makes you feel remorse connected to confusion or chaos?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

SCOAN: TB Joshua’s Church Counters BBC Investigation / CAN Gives PFN Two Weeks To Submit Report On Rape Allegation / What's The Best Way Of Changing Your Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.