Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,644 members, 7,861,987 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 04:23 AM

116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees (38957 Views)

Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH / A Nigerian With Three First Class degrees / 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by bigfrancis21: 2:56pm On Jan 27, 2013
musiwa14: at the university of ilorin. the department of electrical engineering uses block 9 and block 10.. the building of the block 9 which house some of the equipment for training electrical engieers, is bigger than the whole engineering building at UNN, which combine several department. That is just 1 department...

It shows you, igbo people have stolen all of the money.

In term of foreign or united nation grant. UNN have collect more money than the university of ilorin and more than any universities in Nigeria..

The united nation or any country can check the list of grant to nigeria universities and they will see that UNN have collected more money than any universities in Nigeria ..

It has had more foreign donation than any universities, because they are oliver twists. but it sad that all of this donation and grant by the united nation and other countries have been stolen by Igbo people.

It shows you, igbo people have stolen all of the united nation, world bank,usa, canada, uk, world health etc money or grant for many years.

Nigeria govt specifically alway give the UNN more money than most nigeria universities because the govt feel igbo complain alot.. So when money are given, the govt makes sure to avoid Igbo complain, give them money higher than other nigeria to avoid media embarrassment by the igbo people, what it means is that all of the money have been stolen.
After all these tribalistic rantings, it all boils down to one point, do you have evidence to support your claims? Do you have proof to underlie your argument? You sound like the fact that UNN is graduating a high number of students is eating you away deeply. Have you been to UNN to see the new standard EE lab two-storey building that was built recently? The faculty of Engineering, which I graduated from, has over 10 buildings for the faculty alone, not to talk of the new engineering theatre hall that was also built recently. Your consequent ignorance on the affairs of UNN once again shows you've never left the caves of your village in the south-west to visit other places. I deal in facts, not hearsays.

1 Like

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by musiwa14: 3:03pm On Jan 27, 2013
bigfrancis21 it is not the number of graduate we are talking about but the facilities for the graduate. UNN does not have the facilities to graduate 18,000 student...

What we are saying is that the igbo people stole all united nation grant,nigeria, canada, Uk, USA, world bank grant.. UNN collect more grant than any university in Nigeria.. because the igbo people are always complaining and to avoid embarrassment to the nigeria govt. The nigeria govt try to keep them quiet by constantly given them money..

this is why it is so sad to see that all of this money have been stolen by the igbo people. it makes a person weep.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by londoner: 3:09pm On Jan 27, 2013
.......bigfrancis21.....good to hear there are some new facilities that have been built.Hopefully, that will continue.

Glad u did not take the bait too......lol
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Mizkeri(f): 3:13pm On Jan 27, 2013
I'm sure they can't compete with graduates with 1st class from unilorin
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by londoner: 3:18pm On Jan 27, 2013
^^^Another one.....lol

1 Like

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Ujawissy: 3:20pm On Jan 27, 2013
musiwa14: bigfrancis21 it is not the number of graduate we are talking about but the facilities for the graduate. UNN does not have the facilities to graduate 18,000 student...

What we are saying is that the igbo people stole all united nation grant,nigeria, canada, Uk, USA, world bank grant.. UNN collect more grant than any university in Nigeria.. because the igbo people are always complaining and to avoid embarrassment to the nigeria govt. The nigeria govt try to keep them quiet by constantly given them money..

this is why it is so sad to see that all of this money have been stolen by the igbo people. it makes a person weep.
pls shut up ur mouth, ur faculty of reasoning must have been damage and here u are speaking a hell of nonsense.can't u see d stat or wat are u saying. UNN is not dat bad and for ur information i'm an engineering at ife and my elder brother is studing engineering at Unn and i know the stuff he is made of.

3 Likes

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by bigfrancis21: 3:25pm On Jan 27, 2013
londoner: .......bigfrancis21.....good to hear there are some new facilities that have been built.Hopefully, that will continue.

Glad u did not take the bait too......lol
Definitely it will. You need to see the massive development - road networks and buildings/structures currently taking place in UNN now. Prof. Bartho Okolo is really pulling the bull by the horn.
I've noticed the low level of reasoning of Musiwa. He rants yet he cannot drop one or two sources to underlie his claim because he knows they are false.

1 Like

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by londoner: 3:33pm On Jan 27, 2013
[quote author=bigfrancis21]
I've noticed the low level of reasoning of Musiwa. He rants yet he cannot drop one or two sources to underlie his claim. He's deeply tribalistic. [/quote

There are few of that type from either tribe/region.....its sad but also funny to see.

Who knew, that a thread such as this would make someone put SO MUCH EFFORT into trying to steer it into an ethnic standoff.

Well, I'm sure he will now try and bring some evidence. I doubt he will rest until he has successfully completed his task.

Well.....I suppose its free world huh
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jan 27, 2013
musiwa14: it is not the population, we are talking about... But the population of graduate compare to other nigeria universities. It means they are just graduating anybody at UNN with first class....
Hahaha... 20 Frist Class in Fine Art, 20 in Linguistic and English Language, 20 from Sociology and Anthropology department,56 first class from Christian Religion Studies. That is great to know. Lol!
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by 9javoice1(m): 4:26pm On Jan 27, 2013
Sunday • 2 days ago −
I strongly believe that most of the people criticizing UNN and her 116 FIRST CLASS graduates either did not go beyond high school,or maybe they failed woefully in ordinary arithmetic. About two years ago ,(2011),UNILAG produced 118, first class out of 3,224 people that graduated,which stood at 3.66%. Again in 2010,UNILAG produced 119, (3.2%), first class out of 3,696 graduates. UNN then produced 116 first class out of 18,150 graduates,which was less than 0.7%. Please me tell me,which school is more rigorous and thorough in her programs,going by the above statistics? It should be noted that among all the PREMIER UNIVERSITIES in Nigeria, UNN remains the only institution that maintains first class margin of 1% of possible graduates. I guess most of you made close to 400 in JAMB and failed UNN post-UME.

Congratulations great people of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by kittykat1(f): 4:30pm On Jan 27, 2013
By Graeme Paton, Education Editor6:21PM GMT 12 Jan 2012
The number of students leaving university with first-class honours degrees has more than doubled in a decade, figures show, prompting fresh warnings over "grade inflation".

A record 53,215 undergraduates – one-in-six – finished courses last summer with top degrees, it was revealed.

Figures published by the Higher Education Statistics Agency show numbers have increased by 14 per cent in just 12 months and 125 per cent in a decade.

The rise dramatically outstrips the overall increase in the student population over the same period, raising fears that some academics are coming under pressure to mark up students’ work to boost universities’ positions in league tables.

Last night, university leaders admitted the 200-year-old system of first, second and third class degrees had become a “blunt instrument for assessing achievement”.

From this autumn, universities will introduce a graduate “report card” which will provide a detailed breakdown of students’ academic achievements – and a range of information relating to extra-curricular activities – alongside their raw degree grade.

But other academics warned that more radical reform was needed.

Alan Smithers, professor of education at Buckingham University, said grades had been inflated to such an extent that a “starred first” was required to mark out the most exceptional talent.

Employers said that so many people were leaving university with top degrees that companies had been forced to introduce increasingly sophisticated systems to screen job applicants.

Carl Gilleard, chief executive of the Association of Graduate Recruiters, said: “Over the past decade, employers have become less confident that the degree class in itself tells them what they need to know.

"Employers see the growth in academic success rates, coupled with the expansion of higher education, and are driven to develop sophisticated assessment tools that give them better insights into the capability and potential of candidates who apply to work for them.

“To some extent, it is an indication that the degree class isn’t regarded now as being the most accurate measurement of what somebody has achieved.”

According to figures, almost 15.5 per cent of students left UK universities last summer with a first-class degree – 53,215 of those passing their course. Almost two-thirds of students – 64 per cent – gained either a first or 2:1.

It represented a 14 per cent rise in the number of firsts in just one year, far outstripping the five per cent increase in the overall student population.

In total, the number of firsts has increased by 45 per cent since 2007, when just 36,645 students were awarded the best degree grades.

A decade ago, some 23,700 students – or nine per cent of the year group – gained a first-class honours degree.

An analysis of data released by individual universities last year suggested the proportion of top degrees had soared since the 70s and 80s.

The percentage of Cambridge finalists receiving firsts rose from 13 per cent in 1980 to 23 per cent in 2010. Those receiving third class degrees in the same period tumbled from 12 per cent to 3 per cent, while 2:2s fell from 42 per cent to 22 per cent.

At Warwick just three per cent of candidates received firsts in 1980. By 2010 the figure was 23 per cent.

At Exeter, the percentage of firsts has risen from four per cent in 1980 to 19 per cent in 2010, while at St Andrews firsts rose from seven per cent in 1980 to 20 per cent in 2010.

Mike Harris, head of policy development at the Institute of Directors, said: “The increasing proportion of students being awarded top degrees can make it more difficult for employers to distinguish between the outstanding and the good.

“However, it is important to remember that while a degree classification can be a starting line for recruitment, it’s rarely the finishing post. A degree is an indicator of calibre, not the final word – factors such as work experience and wider employability skills are often far more important to employers.”

David Willetts, the Universities Minister, said individual institutions were responsible for degree grades, but insisted that “the whole system of degree classification does need reform”.

“That is why our white paper proposes that most institutions should develop Higher Education Achievement Reports for all their undergraduates from 2012,” he said. “This will be a more useful measure of performance.”

Nicola Dandridge, chief executive of Universities UK, which represents vice-chancellors, insisted that the year-on-year rise in firsts was small, adding: “A-level performance has also improved in recent years, so it is unsurprising that degree results would also show an improvement.”

“However, it has been clear for some time that the current degree classification system is a blunt instrument for assessing achievement, hence Universities UK’s support for the ongoing trialling of the Higher Education Achievement Report.”

yomip3t:

OMG !!! NA YOU MUMU PASS FOR THIS SITE.
HABA ! SAME CORRECTION IN ALL THE COMMENTS ! HABA !
WHICH OF ALL THESE SCHOOLS YOU LISTED ARE RANKED IN THE WORLD ?
AND WHICH OF THE WORLD RANKED UNIVERSITY EVER HAD 116 1ST CLASS GRAD IN A SET ? SIMPLE OOOO!!!!!
YOU COME HERE COME DEY TELL ME POSSIBILITY/STATISTICS .... NA LOGISTIC U FOR ASK ME ! MUMU

2 Likes

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Idacrux: 4:32pm On Jan 27, 2013
Tinablack:

Kindly proof read b4 U post.
Well, I lack words 2 say. Bt it goes a long way 2 show aw flexible d school Education system is.

ALAS! Getn a 1st class s nw Easy!
UNN has lost its Glory, d so called lions/lioness nw bleat instead of roar. D quality of der 1st Class graduates has lost value.

A University dat graduated a gul hu slept her way tru uni wit a 1st class, has lost its pride.

I knw a lot I won't wana dsclose abt in UNN. Bt, lemme allow d sleepn DOG lie.

EDucation in Nigeria has lost its value, Grades r nw bought.

Tho, der r Gud Eggs, bt d bad eggs liter in evry nook nd cranny.

God Help Nigeria! If d only UNiversity of Nigeria has lost its value, dn der s NO hope 4 Nigeria.

I Comment my reserve. Hehehe.
shut up ur mouth,what did u know abt. lions/lionesses in d great den.....u can't even scaled through unn post-ume let alone becoming a lion.the standard of unn is still on point and unn is the only uni. dat promotes her staffs/students with meritocracy...hail versity of nigeria for the sake of truths.

2 Likes

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by kittykat1(f): 4:34pm On Jan 27, 2013
Cambridge alone had 23 per 1st class

The UNN first class is not even up to 10 percent so Oga research well before u comment rubbish.

Also for d whole UK

According to figures, almost 15.5 per cent of students left UK universities last summer with a first-class degree – 53,215 of those passing their course. Almost two-thirds of students – 64 per cent – gained either a first or 2:1.

1 Like

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by 40Lightyears: 5:00pm On Jan 27, 2013
Afam4eva: This is really an achievement considering the fact that UNN is one of the most difficult schools to come out with a first class. 1st class materials in some other schools are 2nd class materials in UNN.

Afam, tell them o. People no dey ever gree.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Fphotographer(f): 5:02pm On Jan 27, 2013
So in UNN ppl dnt graduate wit pass result? And d graduatd 100+ 1st clas studnt.. Smh i put al of d 1st clas graduate 2 cm n test their clas of degree at BSU.omo afta dat test u wil hav 2 go bk n writ jamb. BSU hav nt prducd more dan 5 1st clas sinc its inceptn
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jan 27, 2013
kitty kat: Cambridge alone had 23 per 1st class

The UNN first class is not even up to 10 percent so Oga research well before u comment rubbish.

Also for d whole UK

Your source,please!
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by kittykat1(f): 5:25pm On Jan 27, 2013
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jan 27, 2013
kitty kat: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9011098/Warning-over-grade-inflation-as-first-class-degrees-double.html

It has more than double as population increases but not in the percentage you are speculating here. The link only points to 15% which is way too low compare to your over-exaggerated figures. The proportion didn't make much difference as the population increased at more or at the same rate. Actually, I am on about your source for the figure you gave on Cambridge first-class graduates.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by kittykat1(f): 5:34pm On Jan 27, 2013
Sir, pls read the whole article properly. I didn't speculate. I only copied and pasted. Those figures that I wrote were written by the journalist. I compared to that of UNN which is 118/1800. This is closer to a 6per. While in Cambridge, 23percent of graduates in 2011 had a first class.

If you take your time to read more, you ill notice that the article made mention of over 50,000 students.

all4naija: It has more than double as population increases but not in the percentage you are speculating here. The link only points to 15% which is way too low compare to your over-exaggerated figures. The proportion didn't make much difference as the population increased at more or at the same rate. Actually, I am on about your source for the figure you gave on Cambridge first-class graduates.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jan 27, 2013
Afam4eva: is UNN is graduating 18,000 students it means the average population of the school will be like 18,000 X 4 = 72,000

This is a lot but i know some public schools in the US with similar population.

The population must include those from Nsukka, Enugu, Umudike, Aba and Ikere Ekiti campuses.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jan 27, 2013
dayokanu:

Reading the original post didnt suggest so cos I thought it was a newspaper error all along. Cos Higher degrees dont usually have first class, 2-1, 2-2 classification I hope I am right

The certificate, Diploma in conflict resolution, Certificate in pleasing your husband, Diploma in turning water to plamy might be the reason

Masters degree does. Without a 2-1, you cant go for phd.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 5:49pm On Jan 27, 2013
musiwa14: they will say is igbo bashing.. but if i was the president, and i wanted to pick a VC from the east, i would have picked the VC of Enugu state university of technology who got kidnap because i look at the school. and i notice that during the period he was VC, he upgraded the school facilities. It shows he has a heart for what he does .. and not prof Nebo who did little to nothing for UNN as VC.. so it is not about Igbo bashing..

If you know all that Nebo did for the school, u would really know you sound ignorant. He is the best VC the school has had in recent times after prof Ndili in the 80s. As for English...address your own house first, hypocrite! See the way you use tenses, i wander in what language the UK and US profs graded you.

1 Like

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Youngk(m): 5:52pm On Jan 27, 2013
As for the population of the graduates,unn has two campuses enugu and nsukka including some other affiliate schools like collage of Education nsugbe anambra state and Alvan ikeoku federal collage of education imo,where b.ed are being offered
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by NwaAnambra(m): 5:54pm On Jan 27, 2013
musiwa14: You can see from the video, that a first class student to be from UNN , that can not speak english well and listen to her..

And Goodluck just reward the man who made the life this students this way... minister..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYvkPZm4YYc
ur comment just depictd u as a mentally enslaved man! Ppl lyk u in dis 21 centuary stil measure intelligence wit English language....pathetic.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jan 27, 2013
kitty kat: Sir, pls read the whole article properly. I didn't speculate. I only copied and pasted. Those figures that I wrote were written by the journalist. I compared to that of UNN which is 118/1800. This is closer to a 6per. While in Cambridge, 23percent of graduates in 2011 had a first class.

If you take your time to read more, you ill notice that the article made mention of over 50,000 students.

You are still missing it. What I am saying your comment figures are over-exaggerated in the sense it is speculative than the comparison in proportion to what Cambridge had in 1980 to 2010 we are referring to here. What they are saying is, for example in 1980 when the campus was having 100 students it had like 2 firsts and by 1990(after 10 years) it had 20 firsts at the population of 1000 students. In comparison of 2 firsts to 20 first there is 100% increase there. Then there is nothing so much worrisome here. Unlike the case of Nigeria the comparison is based on facilities and students performance. So, I doubt the figure coming out of UNN.

Nevertheless, Cambridge is not producing 23 percent first-class students of it entire population. As at 2011 University of Cambridge was 18000 population and the firsts were a little above 1000 students. How does that now equate to 23%? Cambridge first-class is between the range of 15-16%
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jan 27, 2013
musiwa14: bigfrancis21 it is not the number of graduate we are talking about but the facilities for the graduate. UNN does not have the facilities to graduate 18,000 student...

And you said it wasnt about igbo bashing? Go siddon jare. Let me correct u on what u said earlier abt Engr faculty building housing all engr depts. Na lie! the only dept there is civil engr. Mechanical, elect, electronics, agric all have their own blocks and this is still different from the labs ok?

Just suck it up man! I'm sure say na bad belle dey worry u(how can they graduate 116 fisrt class enh? them want show us say dem sabi book pass us?). HOW DID u graduate from unillorin with dat kind grammah sef? Havent you noticed that none of your comrades has run to ur defence? Maybe they are ashamed you are repping them wrong, or they just cant express themselves better!
How did u even graduate from unillorin with that kind grammah sef

1 Like

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jan 27, 2013
Fphotographer: So in UNN ppl dnt graduate wit pass result? And d graduatd 100+ 1st clas studnt.. Smh i put al of d 1st clas graduate 2 cm n test their clas of degree at BSU.omo afta dat test u wil hav 2 go bk n writ jamb. BSU hav nt prducd more dan 5 1st clas sinc its inceptn

Abeg where dis one comot from? Arsenal and Barca dey talk, wiki tourist sef wan put mouth? Mtscheww!

2 Likes

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by MANOSUB(m): 6:15pm On Jan 27, 2013
dayokanu:

Even with 2 campuses its too much. The average Nigerian first generation University population is like 20k

Given that UNN would be among the top 5 most difficult University to get into then the figure is even more ridiculous

Almost every school has a college of medicine and several schools have satellite campuses. LASU e.g has in Ojo and Epe also College of medicine
satellite campuses are no longer allowed, remembered?
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by kittykat1(f): 6:29pm On Jan 27, 2013
Read the article again. 23 percent of Cambridge graduates that year was 1st class. It didn't say 23 per of d total population. Neither me nor the article said Cambridge's 1st class was 23per of the total population. We are talking graduating class here. Also the 23 percent referred to is not an increase to the previous years but actually proportion of the year under study.

Also, I am comparing percentages here not raw numbers.

The comparison part I didn't comment on it. Your own post and understanding is a bit ambiguos. The total article isn't what I am discussing. I am only trying to make d guy there understand that the percentage of 1st class graduetes in UNN isn't that outrageous, as he wanted to know what other top schools were producing.

In order for you understand my line of reasoning, you shd ignore the comparisons of the past and present UK. I am comparing present UK and present UNN.

all4naija: You are still missing it. What I am saying your comment figures are over-exaggerated in the sense it is speculative than the comparison in proportion to what Cambridge had in 1980 to 2010 we are referring to here. What they are saying is, for example in 1980 when the campus was having 100 students it had like 2 firsts and by 1990(after 10 years) it had 20 firsts at the population of 1000 students. In comparison of 2 firsts to 20 first there is 100% increase there. Then there is nothing so much worrisome here. Unlike the case of Nigeria the comparison is based on facilities and students performance. So, I doubt the figure coming out of UNN.

Nevertheless, Cambridge is not producing 23 percent first-class students of it entire population. As at 2011 University of Cambridge was 18000 population and the firsts were a little above 1000 students. How does that now equate to 23%? Cambridge first-class is between the range of 15-16%
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by kittykat1(f): 6:36pm On Jan 27, 2013
@ all4naija,

I am not discussing percentage increase as that is abt 125 per from d last decde and 15 in the last 12months of that study year for UK. Its pretty a straightforward article. U r mixing somethings up.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by simpleseyi: 6:39pm On Jan 27, 2013
Please let's hear from students/graduates of MALU (Moshood Abiola Lagos Uni) or have the students accepted MAULAG? grin grin grin
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by ocheejemb: 6:39pm On Jan 27, 2013
musiwa14: You can see from the video, that a first class student to be from UNN , that can not speak english well and listen to her..

And Goodluck just reward the man who made the life this students this way... minister..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYvkPZm4YYc

This is a matriculation ceremony, Genius

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Final Year Student Of Michael Okpara University Killed In Accident In Abia / Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour / Saidat Sanni Is LAUTECH Best Student With 4.88 Cgp(pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.