Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,418 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:56 PM

Prayer For Nigeria At This Critical Era Mend And Boko Haram Threaten - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prayer For Nigeria At This Critical Era Mend And Boko Haram Threaten (544 Views)

Woman Turns Her Fridge Into A Wardrobe In This Era Of Change (pix) / Militants Threaten Blow-up Of More Oil Installations / Nigeria At 55 : The Most Stylish First Ladies Naija Ever Had (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prayer For Nigeria At This Critical Era Mend And Boko Haram Threaten by bola4dprec(m): 10:47am On Jan 27, 2013
Prayer for Our Country
Almighty God,
bless our nation
and make it true
to the ideas of freedom and justice
and brotherhood for all who make it great.

Guard us from war,
from fire and wind,
from compromise, fear, confusion.

Be close to our president and our statesmen;
give them vision and courage,
as they ponder decisions affecting peace
and the future of the world.

Make me more deeply aware of my heritage;
realizing not only my rights
but also my duties
and responsibilities as a citizen.

Make this great land
and all its people
know clearly Your will,
that they may fulfill
the destiny ordained for us
in the salvation of the nations,
and the restoring of all things [img][/img] .

Amen
Re: Prayer For Nigeria At This Critical Era Mend And Boko Haram Threaten by thaoriginator: 11:00am On Jan 27, 2013
bola4dprec: Prayer for Our Country
Almighty God,
bless our nation
and make it true
to the ideas of freedom and justice
and brotherhood for all who make it great.

Guard us from war,
from fire and wind,
from compromise, fear, confusion.

Be close to our president and our statesmen;
give them vision and courage,
as they ponder decisions affecting peace
and the future of the world.

Make me more deeply aware of my heritage;
realizing not only my rights
but also my duties
and responsibilities as a citizen.

Make this great land
and all its people
know clearly Your will,
that they may fulfill
the destiny ordained for us
in the salvation of the nations,
and the restoring of all things [img][/img] .

Amen
Ameen!
Re: Prayer For Nigeria At This Critical Era Mend And Boko Haram Threaten by 1oracle(m): 11:42am On Jan 27, 2013
You can call Gowon to come and join you in this hypocritical prayer. Why didn't Nigerians resort to prayers when The GREAT IGBOS declared BIAFRA? What makes you think that a country that killed over three million people to have a fake Nation will ever have peace and progress? The only thing that can bring peace in Nigeria is justice. If the ERRORS and MISTAKE of 1914 is not corrected, our prayers will not achieve anything.
Re: Prayer For Nigeria At This Critical Era Mend And Boko Haram Threaten by bola4dprec(m): 11:49am On Jan 27, 2013
1oracle: You can call Gowon to come and join you in this hypocritical prayer. Why didn't Nigerians resort to prayers when The GREAT IGBOS declared BIAFRA? What makes you think that a country that killed over three million people to have a fake Nation will ever have peace and progress? The only thing that can bring peace in Nigeria is justice. If the ERRORS and MISTAKE of 1914 is not corrected, our prayers will not achieve anything.
We the people of the Federal Republic of Nigeria

Having firmly and solemnly resolve, to live in unity and harmony as one indivisible and indissoluble sovereign nation under God, dedicated to the promotion of inter-African solidarity, world peace, international co-operation and understanding:

And to provide for a Constitution for the purpose of promoting the good government and welfare of all persons in our country, on the principles of freedom, equality and justice, and for the purpose of consolidating the unity of our people no to Biafra, one Nigeria
Re: Prayer For Nigeria At This Critical Era Mend And Boko Haram Threaten by bola4dprec(m): 12:05pm On Jan 27, 2013
1oracle: You can call Gowon to come and join you in this hypocritical prayer. Why didn't Nigerians resort to prayers when The GREAT IGBOS declared BIAFRA? What makes you think that a country that killed over three million people to have a fake Nation will ever have peace and progress? The only thing that can bring peace in Nigeria is justice. If the ERRORS and MISTAKE of 1914 is not corrected, our prayers will not achieve anything.
In the early hours of January 15, 1966, citing a laundry list of complaints against the political class, there was a military rebellion in Nigeria against the first republic. Led by a group of Majors who were predominantly of eastern origin, the Prime Minister, a federal minister, two regional premiers, along with top Army officers were brutally assassinated. A number of civilians were also killed.
The coup succeeded in Kaduna the northern region capital, failed in Lagos the federal capital and Ibadan the western regional capital, but barely took place in Benin the midwestern capital, and Enugu the eastern capital.
The majority of those murdered were northerners, accompanied by some westerners and two Midwesterners. No easterner lost his or her life. On January 16, rather than approve the appointment of Zanna Bukar Dipcharima, a politician of northern origin, as acting Prime Minister, the acting President, Nwafor Orizu, himself of eastern origin, handed over power to Major-General JTU Aguiyi-Ironsi, the GOC of the Nigerian Army, also of eastern origin. This was allegedly at the behest of the rump cabinet, allegedly to enable Ironsi put down the revolt which, as of then, had already failed in southern Nigeria. Until it became apparent recently in separate testimony by Alhaji Shehu Shagari and Chief Richard Akinjide, it had always been publicly assumed in the lay Press that the hand-over was voluntary although unconstitutional - since no such provision existed in the Nigerian constitution. However, it does seem that as far back as 1969, Martin Dent pointed out the involuntary nature of the so-called hand-over in an academic paper, based on an interview with Alhaji Shettima Ali Monguno.
In July 2000, at a public book launching ceremony in Nigeria, Chief Richard Akinjide stated:
"Talking on the first coup, when Balewa got missing, we knew Okotie-Eboh had been held, we knew Akintola had been killed. We, the members of the Balewa cabinet started meeting. But how can you have a cabinet meeting without the Prime Minister acting or Prime Minister presiding. So, unanimously, we nominated acting Prime Minister amongst us. Then we continued holding our meetings. Then we got a message that we should all assemble at the Cabinet office. All the Ministers were requested by the G.O.C. of the Nigerian Army, General Ironsi to assemble. What was amazing at that time was that Ironsi was going all over Lagos unarmed. We assembled there. Having nominated ZANA Diphcharima as our acting Prime Minister in the absence of the Prime Minister, whose whereabout we didn't know, we approached the acting President, Nwafor Orizu to swear him in because he cannot legitimately act as the Prime Minister except he is sworn- in. Nwafor Orizu refused. He said he needed to contact Zik who was then in West Indies.
Under the law, that is, the Interpretation Act, as acting President, Nwazor Orizu had all the powers of the President. The GOC said he wanted to see all the cabinet ministers. And so we assembled at the cabinet office. Well, I have read in many books saying that we handed over to the military. We did not hand-over.
Ironsi told us that "you either hand over as gentlemen or you hand-over by force". Those were his words. Is that voluntary hand-over? So we did not hand-over. We wanted an Acting Prime Minister to be in place but Ironsi forced us, and I use the word force advisedly, to handover to him. He was controlling the soldiers.
The acting President, Nwafor Orizu, who did not cooperate with us, cooperated with the GOC. Dr. Orizu and the GOC prepared speeches which Nwafor Orizu broadcast handing over the government of the country to the army. I here state again categorically as a member of that cabinet that we did not hand-over voluntarily. It was a coup.
Igbos are not great N:B

(1) (Reply)

Brain-damaged Governor Suntai Did Not Recognize Me, Says Acting Governor / Alausa Power Project Ready By October - Fashola / 5 Siblings,10 Others Die In Kano Fire,auto Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.