Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,552 members, 7,823,440 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:10 AM

The Story Of The C.E.O - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Story Of The C.E.O (1805 Views)

The Last Wolf Series : The Forgotten Mate (December 2015 Story of the Month) / Love Story Of A Unilag Babe And Bus Conductor / Temptation ; The Story Of Love (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Story Of The C.E.O by sheblayze(f): 1:10pm On Jan 27, 2013
It is just a story. A fictional story. Please enjoy the silly construction of my imagination.

The Story of The C.E.O

My name is Funke Kuti-Simons. Born in the early 80s, I grew up in a large family settled in the Delta area of Nigeria.

Being a smart kid, my parents always thought Medicine would suit me. The search began.

Two years later, I stepped it down a notch. Of course, if the desirable wasn't available; the available became desirable. And so, Pharmacy it was.

But the joy of anatomy, physiology and even pharmacolgy got me confused.

I was naturally introverted but putting on a stethoscope and taking people's vitals was a procedure I never shyed away from during practical class.

That never meant I wanted to become a doctor. Pharmacy school was already enough challenge. I wasn't about to add Medicine School to the list of my won victories.

I mean, life is too short to spend all of it studying. Clinical pharmacy was however something I had a burning passion for.

I was in the restaurant one day when an old lady put up a bit of scenario and ended up saying; "After God, its Doctors"

Of course that was during my ΙТ. She explained how marvellous it was that you are on the verge of losing your life and the doc just hands it back to you.

She brought out drugs and I explained the right dose to her. I was on ward/lab coat which made her realise I was a "hospital person"

That day is unforgotten, though the date is. My daddy was diabetic and hypertensive. It happened too suddenly, I couldn't evaluate it as a kid.

One day he slumps in the bathroom, the next thing he's always taking drugs and has changed diet. Our staple food was not good for his health- so my mother said.

Illnesses like diabetes, hypertension, rheumatism, heart failure were like "death impending sicknesses"

Every now and then bad news was in town. The gossip went thus.

Mrs A: hmmmm, have you heard? They said Mr D died yesterdae?

Mrs B: i heard oh, they said it is that his sickness.

Mrs A: Stroke abi? Shuuush...his family is trying to hide it. His wife told me in confidence.

Mrs B: abegee! it is his children's waywardness that caused his heart attack! They killed him!

That was the typical Nigerian's reaction to these chronic ailments.

During my ΙТ, my aunty housed me. She was in her early late thirties but she already had rheumatism. The best hospital in the city treated her, but it stay put.

She was tired of the drugs. Doc had told her in confidentiallity, the rheumatism would never go. She could not walk long distances, even carrying her own baby to breastfeed weakened her arms.

It saddend me. I suggested drugs as well but the pains were adamant. They went to church, the pains elevated from long standing.

I asked God," if the doc can't help and the pharmacist can't help, WHO CAN HELP?"

Everything that could be solved was a problem. And this was definitely a problem. Even my granny had slight pains, and my mother had to bathe with hot water to postpone the inevitable.

What was the need? Aids couldn't be cured. Hypertension could only be managed. Rheumatism with its sharp pains was to be endured. Diabetes made you deny your tongue its pleasure. It was a pity.

They all came to the hospital for cure but we gave them mere hope and bitter pills.

My own mother almost died because of hypertensive drugs. I was mad. Why would the doc give her methyl dopa, thiazide diuretics and lisinopril for two weeks?

For one week, she battled passing out here and then, she lost blood, she was practically losing it.

The last time it happened, she was throwing up as well.

She was never hypertensive. She had a busy week and her blood pressure went up. After discontinuing the drugs, she felt better.

I felt a lot of fear in my head. I asked myself. What if she becomes hypertensive? The drugs are not good for her. Would we let death snatch her away just like that? So easily?

That was life asking me to do something for the ones I loved.

My father almost died in church. Damn. It was his diabetes. He went to the hospital for check up and doc said, "you are ok. Your blood glucose level is normal" But he passed out in church the previous day.

Medicine definitely lacked a lot of answers. I knew becoming a doctor would not change these things.

I wanted to give the old people a reason to enjoy old age. And the young a worry-free life.

Heart conditions and high blood glucose levels have turned many families joys to sadness.

The best therapy. I knew it was diet. But how many could adhere to it strictly. My Daddy never trusted the manufactured wheat. We made plantain sheafs and ground to powder.

It wasn't exactly exciting. Atimes the sun won't shine to dry the plantain slices. Atimes the rain and heavy storm would bring down our plantain plantation. It was hectic.

I knew people lost weight from eating certain foods. It became clear to me that people could gain health from eating certain foods.

Psychology was a good factor in treating diseases. My aunty always said, "these drugs don't work me" and they never worked.

If i wanted to make a difference, I needed to treat these people all round. Psychologically, Emotionally, Physically and otherwise.

The best defination of health has always being; "the general wellbeing of an individual"

There had to be a way. I got inspired and decided it was high time people got back their health through proper dieting.

My well planned treatment would guarantee total cure, happiness, and a well lived life devoid of bitter pills and its many dangerous side effects.

Proverbs 3:22 said it all; "so shall they be life unto thy soul and grace to thy neck"

I decided it was a great idea to try out. People say, " You can not control what happens to you, but you can control your reaction"

It was time people controlled what happened to them. Fate depends on both choice and chance. When you have the chance make the right choice.

Proverbs 15:22 strongly advised : "without counsel, purposes are disappointed, but in the multitude of counsellors, they are established"

I put out a call to buddies in China and we made a couple of products. We ran tests and studies on individuals representing each of the major continents and it was good in the eyes of the Lord.

Positivity abound our results. I have recompensed life by pushing death a little farther from us. We count our blessings not by how much we have but by how many we've blessed and made happier.

Now when people come up and say, I think I have a persistently high blood pressure, or I have pains on my bones and joints, or I can't eat starchy foods, I do not falter looking for false reassurance speech that everything would be fine.

I smile broadly, with a glint in my eyes, I look right back at them with all the joy in my heart and I tell them genuinely and softly with all the compassion I got, "Madam, it'll be fine, ok. I do not have the power to heal you, but I can promise you that you will feel better than ever"

The joy that comes with curing the ailments. The smile of gratitude from these ones. The tears of joy their familes shed at seeing them alive and well. The truthful passionate thank you's. The warmth-filled hugs these old ones give me.

All these spur me on with much needed enthusiasm unto the next ones who need my help.

Life is much more simpler than we make it.

The university does not define our future, it gives us time to figure out the future for ourselves.

I hope we find joy from all that we do.

My name is Funke Kuti-Simons.
This is my story.

2 Likes

Re: The Story Of The C.E.O by ITbomb(m): 2:28pm On Jan 27, 2013
I was thinking you are about to present to us the almighty blue pill that takes away all sickness.
Nice write up.
Held me expectant to the end and even brought out my Bible and pen.
Re: The Story Of The C.E.O by sheblayze(f): 2:34pm On Jan 27, 2013
Lol@ almighty blue pill. I am flattered at your comment.
Re: The Story Of The C.E.O by Olajay3700(m): 5:20pm On Feb 27, 2017
2013 where is my writing career? I want to say I'm inspired.
Re: The Story Of The C.E.O by lonewolftzar25: 11:47am On Aug 13, 2017
aunty sheblayze where you dey now, this story don dey tey naun. cobwebs just full everywhere.

(1) (Reply)

English Grammar / ICT Opportunities In Nigerian Oil And Gas Industry / A Very Short Story By Segun Williams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.