Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:37 AM

Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. (3079 Views)

Dick Tiger, Africas Greatest Boxer And Biafran Rebel / Prof. Alexia Thomas To Buhari: Shut Down Nigerian Embassy In Uk Within 48hrs / Boko Haram Terrorists Are Worse Than Biafran Rebels (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by Nobody: 6:29am On Jan 28, 2013
Pelé was a source of hope and confidence that they too could overcome their hardships. Journalist Joao Luiz de Albuquerque said of Pelé’s impact: “He was the light at the end of the tunnel. All the poor said, ‘hey, this guy made it, I can make it.’ He brought the rest of Brazil with him.” His inspirational display of football caused infectious joy in audiences of all ages but also caused even the teams over which he triumphed to share in his pleasure. However in 1967, he was able to do even more than that. During that year, Pele was flown to Lagos, Nigeria, then in the midst of the Biafran brutal civil war, to play an exhibition match. In order to allow both sides of the conflict to see the greatest ever player in the game, a 48-hour ceasefire was called and honored,

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~tasni22m/classweb/world_politics/politicalculture.html
Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by Nobody: 6:29am On Jan 28, 2013
How touching. So Nigerians have something that unites them. Why not exploit this?
Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by naptu2: 6:33am On Jan 28, 2013
The game was played at the King George V Stadium (later known as Onikan Stadium). There are pictures of the match on the Nigerian Nostalgia 1960-1980 group on facebook and on the Cyber Eagles website.

My dad was there live smiley
Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by Tolexander: 6:37am On Jan 28, 2013
0lumide:

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~tasni22m/classweb/world_politics/politicalculture.html
wao! This is great!
Make dem carry Messi go Mali if there will be a ceasefire instead of the international military intervention but the ceasefire will only be temporal. Or better still make them permanent messi for the there for permanent ceasefire.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by Akshow: 6:38am On Jan 28, 2013
Football. The spirit and power is the only unifying force among Nigerians. And some people still support Bon for not paying for the tv right. If Its jus to unite us only for the duration of the match me think Its worth it
Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by Nobody: 6:40am On Jan 28, 2013
Tolexander: wao! This is great!
Make dem carry Messi go Mali if there will be a ceasefire instead of the international military intervention.

Lmao!!! Things don change oo bros.. More money is involved in Mali war, Lots of Gold enough to back up West African currency with. So yeah, if the rebels know this, they'll shoot messi for coming to play lol..
Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by Nobody: 7:11am On Jan 28, 2013
Akshow: Football. The spirit and power is the only unifying force among Nigerians. And some people still support Bon for not paying for the tv right. If Its jus to unite us only for the duration of the match me think Its worth it

Abi oo..
Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by ortopazz(m): 8:43am On Jan 28, 2013
football has always been a force nt that they dnt knw, they just joke with the fact that it is more powerful than it looks on the ordinary!
Lil wonder they are presently toying with our feelings in S.A
Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by naptu2: 8:48pm On Jan 28, 2013
Hm! There's someone here who's trying to correct me. He says that even though Pele (Santos of Brazil) played at the Onikan Stadium in Lagos, the match that led to the ceasefire was actually the match that was played in Benin.

Açcording to him, the Mid-West was neutral in the early stages of the civil war and David Ejoor got guarantees from Yakubu Gowon and Odumegwu Ojukwu that there would be no problems during the match. Ejoor also assured Santos that they would be safe and secure while in the Mid-West. The match was between Santos vs Mid-West 11.
Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by MrGlobe(m): 10:20pm On Jan 28, 2013
what do you mean by Biafran rebels? fool

1 Like

Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by Nobody: 5:36am On Jan 29, 2013
Mr. Globe:

Don't mind that ape

1 Like

Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by naptu2: 6:48am On Jan 29, 2013
Santos of Brazil in Benin (Pele is at the far right of the line up).

Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by Nobody: 7:05am On Jan 29, 2013
Mr. Globe:

That's what I call people fighting against established government and claiming territories that were never ceded to them..

You get problem with my choice word?
Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by Nobody: 7:09am On Jan 29, 2013
Mr. Globe:
sorry dont mind him he meant biafran monsters
Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by garrix8: 8:14am On Jan 29, 2013
They should have arranged a football match between the BIAFRAN REBELS and the FG TROOPS, this would have prevented the death of the millions that died....

1 Like

Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by MrGlobe(m): 8:23am On Jan 29, 2013
0lumide:

That's what I call people fighting against established government and claiming territories that were never ceded to them..

You get problem with my choice word?
yes, so all the countries that legitimately fought for independence with justifiable reasons, like USA, Isreal, Brazil etc are rebels in your warped books.
Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by MrGlobe(m): 8:25am On Jan 29, 2013
lakhadimar: sorry dont mind him he meant biafran monsters
yes, monsters to opc and Nigerian troops that they couldn't help but go back crawling to thier Colo masters britain for help.
Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by garrix8: 8:34am On Jan 29, 2013
Mr. Globe:

yes, so all the countries that legitimately fought for independence with justifiable reasons, like USA, Isreal, Brazil etc are rebels in your warped books.

The Biafrans were REBELS..... Period!!!
Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by surecan: 8:38am On Jan 29, 2013
garri (x8):
They should have arranged a football match between the BIAFRAN REBELS and the FG TROOPS, this would have prevented the death of the millions that died....

look at your condition and that of your country,the whole world have rejected you even Africa you are just nothing than prodigal son
Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by MrGlobe(m): 8:38am On Jan 29, 2013
garri (x8):

The Biafrans were REBELS..... Period!!!
shut up you idddiot. The Biafran soldiers are not your regular OPC hungry touts.
Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by surecan: 8:41am On Jan 29, 2013
If not Britain,USA and USSR and Arabs that fought for you,all of you would have been crunched.I vow that you people can never see good thing in your life as you continue like this,Idiot
Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by surecan: 8:43am On Jan 29, 2013
when you make noise about a failed country,then how do you want a progressive country like USA be,i am not surprise for what ever that comes out of Nigerian people because i knew that they are just like animal in the bush,it is only in your country that there no light among other nations in the world,no water,bad govt,all the evils happens in Nigeria you still claim to have a country
Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by naptu2: 9:54am On Jan 29, 2013
Mr. Globe:

Yes, they were rebels. The American War of Independence was the war between the Rebels vs The Red Coats.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/empire_seapower/rebels_redcoats_01.shtml

The term rebel is not necessarily a bad term. It simply means that they are rebelling against the government/order of the day (I.e they don't want that government/country anymore).

reb·el - /ˈrebəl/
Noun:
1. A person who rises in armed resistance against an established government or ruler
Verb:
1. Rise in opposition or armed resistance to an established government or ruler

1 Like

Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by Nobody: 10:13am On Jan 29, 2013
Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967.)

The Nigerian invaders and the Biafran soldiers had a 48hrs ceasefire for a soccer match in 1967.
Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by garrix8: 10:17am On Jan 29, 2013
Mr. Globe:

shut up you idddiot. The Biafran soldiers are not your regular OPC hungry touts.

They weren't hungry because they could steal food meant for Biafran Children...
Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by garrix8: 10:20am On Jan 29, 2013
surecan:

look at your condition and that of your country,the whole world have rejected you even Africa you are just nothing than prodigal son

So in ur warped mind Biafran would have been Eldorado... Right??

The condition of the SE today is just child's play compared to what Biafra would have become...

Gowon helped to save you guys from forming a country where kidnappers and ritualists hold sway...
Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by gratiaeo(m): 12:08pm On Jan 29, 2013
garri (x8):

So in ur warped mind Biafran would have been Eldorado... Right??

The condition of the SE today is just child's play compared to what Biafra would have become...

Gowon helped to save you guys from forming a country where kidnappers and ritualists hold sway...
Who is this low life Animal! Don't tell me that somebody is still proud of this MESS called Nigeria? I pity your father not you..........
God forbid me to be part of failed investment like Nigeria, a country where somebody who stole 23:3bn Naira police pension money is getting 2yrs jail term with option to pay 250,000, are we not ashame of our self?
A country where Boko Haram, arm rubbers, ritual killers, kidnappers corruption is the order of the day.
Do we really have leaders is this part of the world?
Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by garrix8: 1:25pm On Jan 29, 2013
gratiaeo:
Who is this low life Animal! Don't tell me that somebody is still proud of this MESS called Nigeria? I pity your father not you..........
God forbid me to be part of failed investment like Nigeria, a country where somebody who stole 23:3bn Naira police pension money is getting 2yrs jail term with option to pay 250,000, are we not ashame of our self?
A country where Boko Haram, arm rubbers, ritual killers, kidnappers corruption is the order of the day.
Do we really have leaders is this part of the world?

...‎​Άnd I pity the wh0re you call a mother who after being ra.p.ed by Giant Chimps refused to ab0rt ur stinking as.s but choose to bring a M0r0n into the world.

She should be stripped naked and shot in the head..

Effing Maggot...
Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jan 29, 2013
Haba,See as we don turn better thread to fight,AGAIN.
NAWAO.
Maybe we should have a football match between the Pro Nigeria and Pro Biafra guys.

With an Egyptian Ref.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria And Biafran Rebels Had A 48hrs Ceasefire For A Soccer Match In 1967. by naptu2: 2:48pm On Jan 29, 2013
Kamanda: Haba,See as we don turn better thread to fight,AGAIN.
NAWAO.
Maybe we should have a football match between the Pro Nigeria and Pro Biafra guys.

With an Egyptian Ref.

+100 (it should have been a nice football thread).

(1) (Reply)

Interview With Dr. Daniel Kutchin, Aspirant For Governorship Of Plateau State / Ifeanyi Uba: If I Become Gov I Will Sponsor Youths To Brazil To Watch Match / 2014 Prophecies Naija:Incredible!Adeboye,Kumuyi,Josef Bassey,TB Joshua & Olukoya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.