Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,328 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

Share Your Experiences - UK Driver's Licence - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Share Your Experiences - UK Driver's Licence (2362 Views)

My Shocking Experiences In Public Buses----ladies Be Very Vigilant! / Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! / Share Your Experiences Those That Moved Back To Nigeria From Abroad (usa) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Share Your Experiences - UK Driver's Licence by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jan 29, 2013
sadI have heard so many horrible stories about getting the UK driver's licence, for this reason , I held on for so long before starting the process. Last year, I finally gave in and started the process. After trying out about two driving instructors, I found the perfect one through AA driving school. Let me 1st say it is almost impossible to come from Nigeria and pass without receiving a few instructions from here through driving lessons. My hubby tried to use 'red eyes' but failed woefully severally till he took some lessons (Still laughing at him sef..LMAO).
Anyway, back to my story, I took my lessons and my instructor was really good. I booked my test and went in all prepared yesterday. God smiled on me and sent me a young lady that was so nice, she gave me one manouver and didn't even let me finish before telling me to drive off. She kept directing me, even during the independent driving segment, but guess what I blew my chance. Five minutes to the end of the test, she said let's go back to the test centre and she directed me through a motor way, I messed up while trying to join the motor way and she had to apologise to the car behind me. At that instance, I knew I had failed. We arrived back at the test centre and she told me she is so sorry, that she really wanted me to pass but that was a serious fault. I got 1 serious fault and 5 minor faults. I am still so so depressed and can't help wishing I didnt make that silly mistake. I have booked the test again but what is the assurance I won't get a mean examiner I am so sad.

Please share your experiences, how many times you took the test before you passed, did you have an horrible examiner etc? It should make me feel better..LOL

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences - UK Driver's Licence by scottishlass: 7:16pm On Jan 29, 2013
Hi sorry to hear you flunked your driving test..the best advice I can give you is to get as much practice as possible. If your husband drives, let him take you out driving regularly in addition to your instructor. It took me 18 months to practice and I passed on first attempt with only 4 minors. Both my hubby and instructor could not believe it because I am not a natural driver lol. So, just hang in there and get lots of practice to boost your confidence. Good luck!
Re: Share Your Experiences - UK Driver's Licence by Krucifax(m): 9:20pm On Jan 29, 2013
Don't take it to heart if it's your first failure. I failed 3 times and passed at my fourth attempt. Although i had been driving for many years (illegally grin ) before that. Even my tester admitted during his time he had to take the test 4 times!

Basically most people that fail already know how to drive but not by the standards of the DVLA. Minor things we normally do when driving would incur a fault at the test. You are allowed 15 minor faults in a driving test before you are failed. However if you get over 4 minor faults on the same thing i.e (control, undue hesitation,gear change, etc) then it become a serious fault which is an automatic fail.

This is where most people fail by accumulating minor faults! But from the sounds of it you just need more practise to build your confidence,what i learned is that you first have to convince the tester that you can drive properly thentry not to make any silly errors and you must surely pass. Good luck!
Re: Share Your Experiences - UK Driver's Licence by Nobody: 8:57am On Jan 30, 2013
Thanks guys for your comments.

Krucifax you are def right about driving to their standards. My God! Mirror, Signal, Manouver. ? Person don hear am for this country o. Driving like a robot. After driving in Nigeria for close to 10 years with all the bad habits.

For me, I think I was ready but made a very silly and costly mistake. I'll keep trying, they have no choice but to give me this licence..lol :-D

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences - UK Driver's Licence by Vicjustice: 11:43am On Jan 30, 2013
aysometin: sadI have heard so many horrible stories about getting the UK driver's licence, for this reason , I held on for so long before starting the process. Last year, I finally gave in and started the process. After trying out about two driving instructors, I found the perfect one through AA driving school. Let me 1st say it is almost impossible to come from Nigeria and pass without receiving a few instructions from here through driving lessons. My hubby tried to use 'red eyes' but failed woefully severally till he took some lessons (Still laughing at him sef..LMAO).
Anyway, back to my story, I took my lessons and my instructor was really good. I booked my test and went in all prepared yesterday. God smiled on me and sent me a young lady that was so nice, she gave me one manouver and didn't even let me finish before telling me to drive off. She kept directing me, even during the independent driving segment, but guess what I blew my chance. Five minutes to the end of the test, she said let's go back to the test centre and she directed me through a motor way, I messed up while trying to join the motor way and she had to apologise to the car behind me. At that instance, I knew I had failed. We arrived back at the test centre and she told me she is so sorry, that she really wanted me to pass but that was a serious fault. I got 1 serious fault and 5 minor faults. I am still so so depressed and can't help wishing I didnt make that silly mistake. I have booked the test again but what is the assurance I won't get a mean examiner I am so sad.

Please share your experiences, how many times you took the test before you passed, did you have an horrible examiner etc? It should make me feel better..LOL
I was forced to click the LIKE button not because of the sad thing that you experienced, but because your story is so real.
Now, you would have (at least) one month before your next test appointment... And though it sometimes looks silly to have to drive according to the required manners, but you just have to play by the rules in order to pass the test (oh, how i hate the awkward way they want you to handle the steering-wheel like an old woman).
Well, it is very important to remember everything that you were instructed during your lessons, and keep driving as instructed until you (unconsciously) get used to it. One major error is enough to fail the test, if not for the major error, it would take eight minor errors to fail it (in Ireland). I hope you do well next time

Note: It is not "almost impossible" for a Nigerian experienced driver to pass the test, it is ABSOLUTELY impossible for any Nigerian to pass any test in any normal country without taking proper driving lessons.
Re: Share Your Experiences - UK Driver's Licence by 2bosun: 5:08pm On Jan 30, 2013
I'll advise you to learn with automatic, take the test- which you'll surely pass on the first attempt. Start driving to get used to the roads and build some confidence, after 6 months- 1 year learn manual, it'll be so much easier for you to learn and you'll probably spend less money.

My spouse passed the automatic test after only 15 lessons and she's working on the manual now. I passed the automatic after 6 lessons and I've got a manual license now.

No need to keep wasting your money, most cars now are automatic anyways undecided
Re: Share Your Experiences - UK Driver's Licence by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jan 30, 2013
@ Vic Justice.. Thanks for your comment and advise, you are very right, I am yet to see anyone that came from Nigeria and passed without lessons.

@2 Bosun, it's automatic o! Who does manual anymore anyway...lol and why are you guys trying to get both??
Re: Share Your Experiences - UK Driver's Licence by 2bosun: 5:25pm On Jan 30, 2013
I'm sorry I assumed, you're very close to passing the test, just minor-minor errors wink

I just want to be able to drive both manual and auto, my woman isn't too bothered- which is understandable. You may also want to consider another centre- might help undecided
Re: Share Your Experiences - UK Driver's Licence by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jan 30, 2013
Ok I see why.

I'll still try this centre because to be honest, the examiner wasn't mean or anything, infact she was very nice but I made a mistake that was so obvious that she could not let it go. Infact, I pray to meet the lady again grin
Re: Share Your Experiences - UK Driver's Licence by scottishlass: 6:00pm On Jan 30, 2013
aysometin: @ Vic Justice.. Thanks for your comment and advise, you are very right, I am yet to see anyone that came from Nigeria and passed without lessons.

@2 Bosun, it's automatic o! Who does manual anymore anyway...lol and why are you guys trying to get both??

Seriously are you having a laugh? undecided Well I use a manual car and most people I know use manual as well. I hope you are aware that you would need to do another test to drive a manual transmission so personally I don't see the point in learning with automatic and then learning again with manual. You might as well do it once and for all. If you are considering another centre with higher pass rates, you should also familiarize yourself with the test route so that you don't get any unpleasant surprises. Good luck!
Re: Share Your Experiences - UK Driver's Licence by joxiri: 6:43pm On Jan 30, 2013
@ poster coming from nigeria and passing without lessons 1st time is impossible even if the person is an instructor in naija I doubt they wud pass
My advice for you is to probably go outside london where there is less demand cos the truth of the matter is there is a quota on this thing
I failed my test twice passed on 3rd attempt with 15 minors on the dot, I remember the 2nd test the examiner waited till we got bck to the test before ticking any faults and she made sure it was 17 till this very day I dnt understand hw she managed to remember my faults when she hadn't been ticking it along during the test
And its for this reason me I believe there's a quota cos I was defo made to fail on 2nd attempt and besides what are the odds of getting bang on 15 on the 3rd attempt
On my 1st attempt I had 4 minors and 2 serious
Also poster listen to your instructor a lot what u need to remember is u need to pass the test not to learn how to drive after u pass the test your bad habits can creep in there's no one watching u drive but make sure on the day of the test u are spot on everything msm!!! Especially. Probably make it a habit to check your mirrors every 10 seconds as u drive that way u can never forget the mirror aspect before a manouvre as it becomes part of you
Re: Share Your Experiences - UK Driver's Licence by Vicjustice: 12:21am On Jan 31, 2013
2bosun: I'll advise you to learn with automatic, take the test- which you'll surely pass on the first attempt. Start driving to get used to the roads and build some confidence, after 6 months- 1 year learn manual, it'll be so much easier for you to learn and you'll probably spend less money.

My spouse passed the automatic test after only 15 lessons and she's working on the manual now. I passed the automatic after 6 lessons and I've got a manual license now.

No need to keep wasting your money, most cars now are automatic anyways undecided
I beg to differ on the automatic thing
Re: Share Your Experiences - UK Driver's Licence by Nobody: 8:58am On Jan 31, 2013
Thanks Joxiri

@ Scotishlass, I think I exaggerated..lol, I know several people here still drive manual but in Nigeria most people do automatic. I don't plan to buy or drive the manual so I won't be needing the licence.

@ Vic Justice,

I actually think its easier to learn with automatic too. At least, you can forget about gears and concentrate on the driving itself. It's the lazy way out though
Re: Share Your Experiences - UK Driver's Licence by Nobody: 9:20am On May 17, 2013
I have finally passed (3rd time lucky) *dancing*

Thank you everyone kiss
Re: Share Your Experiences - UK Driver's Licence by llbhuds: 8:16pm On May 17, 2013
Generally, passing a driving test in Europe is not a joke.
i dont know if there is any country in Europe with a more difficult procedure than Sweden when you want to get a license.

firstly, you apply for the learner's permit and you pay for the processing of your permit.

secondly, you go for a course on alcohol, drugs, stress and tiredness, but this course isnt free because u have to pay for it aswell.

thirdly you go for halkbanan ( driving on snow -skid) though the course is really vital for every driver cos you are lectured and made to experience whats gonna feel like during an accident either on the snow or on a dry road and how aquaplaning occurs on road with cars. But its very expensive.

Also, if you intend to go to a driving school for practice this is d appropriate time to start but if you want to take a private instructor, you will have to go for a different course entire on how to behave with a private instructor, things you are expected to take along with you when going for practice e.t.c. you have to pay for your application for a private instructor to be approved and you will pay for the course on how to relate for a private instructor as well.

fourthly, you go for the theory test which consists of 70 questions(objectives)but you are going to be graded on 65 out of the 70 questions and the pass mark is 52. ( you pay for it as well)

fifthly, the driving test which is from 1 till 5 and the pass mark is 3. ( you pay for this also)

After going through all these processes and passing all your tests, you then pay for your license to be printed and sent to your address.

all about money and stress...honestly.

though i did mine once but no be me na baba GOD
Re: Share Your Experiences - UK Driver's Licence by Ticha: 6:37pm On May 19, 2013
Passed first time BUT - I started driving immediately I got to the UK on an international driving licence. I drove everyday (work) for 9 months before starting lessons. I had 25 lessons of 2 hours each time and my driving test was done on a day it snowed! It helped me as I took my time to do every single thing! It took me 4 months. You can do it. Practise, practise, practise and you will succeed!

(1) (Reply)

The Cleanest Cities In The World / The Architectural Wonders Of Abiriba: A Photographer's Delight (pics) / Can't Afford Study Route, Please Advise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.