Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,653 members, 7,820,269 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:22 PM

The 10 Commanments Or Jesus' Commandments.? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The 10 Commanments Or Jesus' Commandments.? (1669 Views)

Who Is Most Influential??? Prohet Muhammad Or Jesus / Mohammed Or Jesus or African gods? / Who Should We Direct Our Praises To? God Or Jesus? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 10 Commanments Or Jesus' Commandments.? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Mar 06, 2008
I once had a discussion with a member of BLW a year back and we had this discussion about the 10 commandments. His brief statement was that the 10 commandments was old testament and Jesus came to die for us and wipe away the law and we are to follow Jesus' commandment. Maybe i didnt explain it well, but u understand what i mean.
Re: The 10 Commanments Or Jesus' Commandments.? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Mar 06, 2008
some of the heresies we see nowadays.God help us, the end is near
Re: The 10 Commanments Or Jesus' Commandments.? by kolaoloye(m): 11:51am On Apr 03, 2008
MATTHEW 5:17

The Fulfillment of the Law
17"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

19 Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.
Re: The 10 Commanments Or Jesus' Commandments.? by Witness(m): 12:56pm On Apr 03, 2008
Before we proceed, let us understand that before God , there are only two categories of people

1. Those who are in Christ (saved by Faith in the Word of God, since Christ is the Word of God) (Hence why Abraham was saved by Faith and not works).
2. Those who are not in Christ.

Again we must understand that those who are in Christ are no longer subject to the law , because Jesus Christ (in whom they are) has already fufilled the law. However those who are not in Christ are still subject to the law , hence they are doomed because the bible makes it clear that no man can fufill the law, (thus their chances of salvation via obedience to the law is hopeless)

Now let us consider that the following ten commandments:

Exo 20:1 And God spake all these words, saying,
Exo 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
Exo 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
Exo 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
Exo 20:6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
Exo 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Exo 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
Exo 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
Exo 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
Exo 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
Exo 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.
Exo 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Exo 20:15 Thou shalt not steal.
Exo 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
Exo 20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

First and foremost there is no such thing as Jesus's Commandments and 10 Commandments, so please let us try not to allow the Devil to trick us into believing that which is not.

Remember Jesus Christ is The Word and the Word is God and The Word is God in the Flesh. The bible also makes it clear that God honours his Word above his name.Therefore what Jesus Christ said in those verses is simply the fuffilment of the 10 commandments.Jesus Christ (God the Son) did not come to contradict a Word by God rather he came to fufill that Word. Likewise we Christians are also fufilling that Word through Jesus Christ who is our advocate before the Father.

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.
Joh 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
Joh 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

For example, assuming that someone (other than Jesus Christ) was even able to fufill the 10 commandments, then what that person would simply end up doing is summed up in those commandments giving by Jesus Christ.
Therefore Jesus Christ is completely right when he said he came not to destroy the law, but to fufill it.

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

So you see the fufillment of law is made clear for the world to see by Jesus Christ and Christians (who are in Christ) because:

a. A True Christian loves The Lord God with all his/her heart, soul and mind.

b. Also True Christian loves is neighbour as himself/herself.

So one might be deceived into thinking that the fruits of a True Christian shows that he is consciously obeying the law, whereas he is actually not consciously trying to do that, instead He is just merely bearing the fruit of the Spirit (which invariably and erronously seen as an attempt to obey the law)

Mar 12:28 And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all?
Mar 12:29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
Mar 12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
Mar 12:31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

So in conclusion

Question: Again does that mean Christians must not obey the Ten Commandments (e.g. does that mean Christians can commit Adultery)

Answer: No, it does not mean that Christians can commit Adultery or disobey the ten commandments, rather it means that Christians being Christians end up bearing fruits of the Spirit which exhibit the nature of Christ and which the world might then erronously miscontrue to mean or look as if they are trying to obey the ten commandments which Jesus Christ as already fufilled.

1. A Christian is saved not because he's able to keep the law but because Jesus Christ was able to completely obey the law

2. A Christian is first and foremost a christian because He is in Christ and therefore he now has a Christ life (new nature) as far as God is concerned.

3. Jesus Christ has already fufilled and obeyed the complete ten commandments

4. A christian by nature unconsciously loves His/Her neighbour as himself and also a Christian by nature loves the Lord God with all his heart.

5. A Christian by virtue of completely loving God and his neighbour ends up looking as if he is trying to obey the ten commandments, even though he is not actually trying to put himself under the law.

I pray the Holy Spirit helps us to continue to know the Word of Truth.

Thank you

(1) (Reply)

Evolution And The Basic Science Test / Indaba, My Children - God's "origin" And The Sacred Tree Of Life. / Imhotep: Requiem For The Blind Sage By Obadiah Mailafia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.