Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,366 members, 7,812,050 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:13 AM

RIM (Blackberry) Should Provide OS Upgrade. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / RIM (Blackberry) Should Provide OS Upgrade. (982 Views)

Which Blackberry Should I Buy / RIM Opens BlackBerry Retail Store In Lagos / RIM (BlackBerry) Falls From Top 5 In Global Smartphone Sales (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

RIM (Blackberry) Should Provide OS Upgrade. by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jan 30, 2013
I honestly feel rim should give users of BlackBerry phones made in the last 2 years the opportunity to upgrade from OS 7 to OS 10 especially the really high end phones that can accommodate the new OS.

As for me, I don't see myself buying the z10 as the battery is still hopeless but will love to experience the z10.

What do you guys think?
Re: RIM (Blackberry) Should Provide OS Upgrade. by Francheezy(m): 9:47pm On Jan 30, 2013
what do i tink ?
I tink u shld tell r!m pe0ple nd n0t na!ralanderS.

1 Like

Re: RIM (Blackberry) Should Provide OS Upgrade. by Nobody: 8:36am On Feb 01, 2013
Francheezy: what do i tink ?
I tink u shld tell r!m pe0ple nd n0t na!ralanderS.
Lol, are you even a user?
Re: RIM (Blackberry) Should Provide OS Upgrade. by Francheezy(m): 12:15pm On Feb 01, 2013
n0pe, am n0t
Re: RIM (Blackberry) Should Provide OS Upgrade. by ferhyntorlah(f): 1:30pm On Feb 01, 2013
For those who don't know, Research In Motion(RIM) has been kicked into the history bin. When Blackberry Z10 and Q10 smartphones were launched, the name change was revealed.

So, RIM has been changed to Blackberry all in an effort to rebrand the phone company for greater heights!

Blackberry Z10

Blackberry Q10

Credit: http://quicksell.com.ng/rim-changes-name-to-blackberry-as-bb-10-is-released-today/
Re: RIM (Blackberry) Should Provide OS Upgrade. by martinkem(m): 7:20pm On Feb 05, 2013
I dont think they can do that, first it was an open secret that the current crop of blackberrys like the bold 5 and 6 were not going to have the upgrade before they were sold, and secondly if they push these updates to the older models what incentive would their be for people to buy the z10 and Q10.
Re: RIM (Blackberry) Should Provide OS Upgrade. by Hotdiamond(m): 8:07pm On Feb 05, 2013
seriously. If you can't afford the New blackcrap. Just stick to your present os version and stop whining about upgrade. Btw there's n3. . . grin
Re: RIM (Blackberry) Should Provide OS Upgrade. by Segunagagu(m): 4:59am On Feb 06, 2013
I tell u..I really want to experience dat new os 10..but I stiLl love me 9900 sha.
Re: RIM (Blackberry) Should Provide OS Upgrade. by walcolm(m): 6:16am On Feb 06, 2013
@OP,

technically, you can install the OS but you would barely be able to start the phone not to talk of using it. the reason most of the existing BBs wont get the update is because their hardware cannot run the OS properly. the fastest BB processor is currently single core 1.2GHz and the RAM on the 9900 is less than 800MB which is the most on any BB.

only the Playbook (dual core 1GHz A9 Cortex processor with up to 64GB RAM) can run the OS with no problem
Re: RIM (Blackberry) Should Provide OS Upgrade. by 2kurupt(m): 7:35am On Feb 06, 2013
@OP. Get the new device or do you want to put them out of business (Imagine upgrade of OS for two year old phone).

It's obvious your phone's hardware cannot handle the new OS anyway.
Re: RIM (Blackberry) Should Provide OS Upgrade. by martinkem(m): 9:45am On Feb 06, 2013
walcolm: @OP,

technically, you can install the OS but you would barely be able to start the phone not to talk of using it. the reason most of the existing BBs wont get the update is because their hardware cannot run the OS properly. the fastest BB processor is currently single core 1.2GHz and the RAM on the 9900 is less than 800MB which is the most on any BB.

only the Playbook (dual core 1GHz A9 Cortex processor with up to 64GB RAM) can run the OS with no problem

I really utterly doubt that the Playbook has a 64GB RAM, in fact it is impossible, even Windows PC Dont have more thanks 16GB RAM even 8GB is considered very plenty,

You should be able to run the New OS on the 9900, the single core and RAM should be able to make the OS run well enough but Blackberry can jot and would not honthat route, it's kind of like the way Microsoft has limited the devices running windows phone 7 from getting Windows Phone 8 (when the new WP8 Lumia 620 has the same specs as the Lumia 800 and 900, even the HTC HD2 which originally ran Windows mobile has been able to run WP7, Wp8, android and a host of new OS).

Blackberry's decision is nothing more than a commercial one. They sell you a Blackberry OS7.1 which is really OS6.2 now because the QNX based Blackberry 10 wasn't ready and when it was sell you the Blackberry 10 device without an option to upgrade the older models so that you would feel.like you are missing out and cough money to buy the new devices.
Re: RIM (Blackberry) Should Provide OS Upgrade. by martinkem(m): 9:58am On Feb 06, 2013
walcolm: @OP,

I did a little checking and gsmarena says that the

Playbook has a dual core 1GHz CPU (makes sense as it is required tonpower a bigger screen) and 1GB of ram

Bold 9900 has a single core 1.2GHz CPU (smaller screen, small screen resolution (wp7, android and iOS can work well with 800MHz, I downclocked my SGS2 to 800MHz andbit works as good as it did with the 1.2GHz) with 768 MHz (android, windows phone can work with 512MB or less).

My point is thar the reason isn't about hardware it was about getting the demand fir new phones high enough to necessitate a buy.
Re: RIM (Blackberry) Should Provide OS Upgrade. by amblors(m): 10:58am On Feb 06, 2013
My friend its mostly about hardware specs. The fluidity of Android on a Note is different from your android experience on say an LG L3.
One exciting thing about the Q10 is its smoothness of the OS which is only possible coz of the great hardware on it.
Put that OS on the bold 5, and people would begin to complain of slow bootup times, more lagging, more frustrating user experience
Its prob gonna work but then u may have to tweak the OS too.
Anyways, I'm waiting for the Q10
Re: RIM (Blackberry) Should Provide OS Upgrade. by amblors(m): 11:02am On Feb 06, 2013
@OP. If u followed the blogs, its bin no secret the devices running OS 7.1 would not be Upgraded to BB10.
Re: RIM (Blackberry) Should Provide OS Upgrade. by martinkem(m): 1:14pm On Feb 06, 2013
amblors: My friend its mostly about hardware specs. The fluidity of Android on a Note is different from your android experience on say an LG L3.
One exciting thing about the Q10 is its smoothness of the OS which is only possible coz of the great hardware on it.
Put that OS on the bold 5, and people would begin to complain of slow bootup times, more lagging, more frustrating user experience
Its prob gonna work but then u may have to tweak the OS too.
Anyways, I'm waiting for the Q10

Have u used the L3 and the Note before you came to that conclusion, I have used a Galaxy S,Pocket and own a Galaxy S2, and the performance isn't thar different for the apps that come bundled with it, unless you try to run a HD game like Dead Trigger you wont have complaints about the Pocket,

Still trying to make excuses for Blackberry, anyone with basic knowledge of economics would understand why there would be no upgrades for OS7 users and about the Playbook do u know that it runs the same software as Blackberry 10 (based on QNX, all blackberry has to do is put the apps in an update container and Viola it's the same thing across board).
Re: RIM (Blackberry) Should Provide OS Upgrade. by amblors(m): 2:04pm On Feb 06, 2013
martinkem:

Have u used the L3 and the Note before you came to that conclusion, I have used a Galaxy S,Pocket and own a Galaxy S2, and the performance isn't thar different for the apps that come bundled with it, unless you try to run a HD game like Dead Trigger you wont have complaints about the Pocket,

Still trying to make excuses for Blackberry, anyone with basic knowledge of economics would understand why there would be no upgrades for OS7 users and about the Playbook do u know that it runs the same software as Blackberry 10 (based on QNX, all blackberry has to do is put the apps in an update container and Viola it's the same thing across board).

The difference between a low end and high end android device is not littlem very few people depend on the apps than come with the device.
I get ur point tho, I take it back, the bold 5 should be good enuf to run BB10, thats me guessing tho.
BB 7 is Java based
BB10 is linux based

Even bb os 6 devices didn't get upgraded to OS7.
Let alone a diff OS, we should understand.

S2 can run Jelly Bean, has it Gotten it yet? Officially?
Re: RIM (Blackberry) Should Provide OS Upgrade. by martinkem(m): 7:00pm On Feb 06, 2013
amblors:

The difference between a low end and high end android device is not littlem very few people depend on the apps than come with the device.
I get ur point tho, I take it back, the bold 5 should be good enuf to run BB10, thats me guessing tho.
BB 7 is Java based
BB10 is linux based

Even bb os 6 devices didn't get upgraded to OS7.
Let alone a diff OS, we should understand.

S2 can run Jelly Bean, has it Gotten it yet? Officially?

People in Spain have gotten the jellybean update, i have flashed my own with a leaked official update not a custom rom.

HD2 ran Windows mobile based on Windows CE when it was made but today we have seen it run Windows Phone 8(based on Windows NT), Windows Phone 7, Android Jelly bean (based on Linux), Meego (Linux based too), Windows 7 and 8 RT, Ubuntu. And whats sso funny is that it has only 578MB RAM and aa single core 1GHz CPU.
If u dont believe me see it for yourself.
www.xda-developers.com/tag/htc-hd2/

Enough said, am done

(1) (Reply)

Mtn, My Best Friend / Gionee D1 And Tecno F7 Owners And Users / Download BBM updates v1.0.2.114 For Your Iphone and Android

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.