Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,562 members, 7,812,822 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:58 PM

From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey (8376 Views)

Lagos Sealed Our House Over Land Use Charge / d / Selling Our House in NNPC Snr Qtrs, Area 11 Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by MacLovington(m): 10:37pm On Mar 20, 2013
@Brabus
Great job.

Ehm... how much much does a standard 120 x 60 plot goes for in Ajao Estate area?
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by Humanbeans(m): 6:59pm On Jul 12, 2013
Hey Brabus. You just fashi this thread since march. I know you are busy sha, but how far wt the project, hope its moving well. We appreciate updates pls. Thanks
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 7:24pm On Jul 12, 2013
I didn't just fashy the project. The project has been completed and we intend to start another one within the area soonest. Discussion in progress. I should visit the site next week. I promise to bring pictures along with my next update.
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by Nobody: 11:23pm On Jul 12, 2013
I want to see the finished project.
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by cleric(m): 10:11am On Jan 08, 2014
Brabus, I am learner in building. So what is the name of this type of foundation?
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by mufutau55(m): 3:51pm On Jan 08, 2014
cleric: Brabus, I am learner in building. So what is the name of this type of foundation?

I think that is called Raft Foundation.

Hajji M.
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by emmadejust(m): 6:14pm On Jan 08, 2014
I like the way you package detail of your works with good explaination and marks picture.

you are Grt, I wish u goodluck.
hoping to Learn those your skills Even thou am on a different work.
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 7:37am On Nov 14, 2014
mufutau55:

I think that is called Raft Foundation.

Hajji M.

It is a pile foundation and we still went ahead to do a 5 board raft on top of the pile.

The highest foundation in Aloysius Odulukwe street, Ajao Estate built by NextHome.

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 9:01am On Nov 14, 2014
I want to see the finished project.

And here it is.

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 9:03am On Nov 14, 2014
Internal Finishes

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 9:05am On Nov 14, 2014
Bath, Toilet and Wardrobes

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 9:21am On Nov 14, 2014
And more.

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 9:27am On Nov 14, 2014
One good project deserves another!

Watch out for a similar build at Association Avenue, very close to UNILAG. Drawings now finalized and pre-work commences in the next few week.
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by enrilove12: 11:49am On Nov 14, 2014
Nice one

brabus:

And here it is.
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by segcymoor(m): 2:34pm On Nov 14, 2014
Can we describe this foundation as mini piling or ?
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 3:37pm On Nov 14, 2014
segcymoor:
Can we describe this foundation as mini piling or ?

My Oga, which one be mini, midi or maxi piling again? Piling don become pampers.
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by segcymoor(m): 9:26pm On Nov 14, 2014
brabus:

My Oga, which one be mini, midi or maxi piling again? Piling don become pampers.
lol. .
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 4:29am On Nov 15, 2014
segcymoor:

lol. .

Perfectly understand your question above bro.

Actually, I've spent a lot of time researching alternative building methods in order to reduce cost, save time and produce quality house. This is what I found out.

Foundation

1. All objects and structures transfer their load either directly or indirectly to the earth.
2. The capacity of the earth to support such loads depends on the strength and stability of the supporting soil.
3. Not all soil possess the required characteristics to carry imposed loads or to resist it.
4. There is no one-size-fit-all design when dealing with foundations.

So, when designing foundations, it is essential to consider the optimum alternative based on the superstructure requirements and subsurface conditions. Take note of the two above.

With these in mind, we need to ask ourself the following question:

1. Is the project a new commercial building, a residential building, a new bridge, a replacement bridge, a retaining wall etc.?
2. Will the building be subjected to any special design events such as seismic, landslide, vibrations, etc.?

Piles can be driven manually or driven hydraulically. However, the use of manual labour and lack of fancy machines doesn't mean it isn't a pile. It's just about what's needed to get the job done. Remember, the main scope of the job is to support the imposed load.

In the course of my research, I discovered the use of pressure timber piles to support all kind of structures.
For example, the city of New Orleans was built on timber piles. Yes, Timbers! I'm going to put that into test in one of my DIY projects.

It's good to explore the alternative methods and the endless possibilities.
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by KolaShangOne(m): 8:12am On Nov 15, 2014
Oga Brabus, I just read your piece above. Its insightful.
Many times, we Builders have been accused of 'over-building' and therefore astronomical increase in cost for the home owners.

Talking about imposed load, I'm building a lecture theatre of 150 students and I used hardcore for the foundation, the architect accused me of over-building but I knew fully well that live + dead load on the building will be massive.

Doing that for a residential building would have been over-building though. So I get your point.
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 8:31am On Nov 15, 2014
If someone had shown up in a typical Naija site with pressurized timbers for piles, you can imagine what people will say.

Meanwhile, the bridge on the popular River Thames was built on pressurized timbers and they've been standing for years now.

Good job in your Mokola site. My mom is from that area.

Our problem has always been lack of documentation in the time past. The more we showcase and document our projects (good or bad), the more we educate ourselves on the possibilities and the alternative offerings. It's not just about cost reduction.

Keep up the good work, KolaShangOne

1 Like

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 8:55pm On Dec 07, 2014
Now it's official! K-024 at Cooperative Villas by NextHome.

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 3:03am On Dec 25, 2014
Merry Christmas from the NextHome Team

In addition to wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas, we also want to say thank you. This has been an amazing year of change and growth for NextHome, and it would not be possible without your support!

Thank you for your continued support of NextHome, and we look forward to working with you in 2015!

The NextHome Team

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 11:28am On Jan 09, 2015
brabus:
One good project deserves another!

Watch out for a similar build at Association Avenue, very close to UNILAG. Drawings now finalized and pre-work commences in the next few week.

It's now official! Akoka Mixed-Use Development by NextHome
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by babalose: 6:49am On Jan 10, 2015
Oga brabus......What's the cost of the piling you did for that 5 bedroom duplex with attached 2 and 3 bedroom flat
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 6:52am On Jan 10, 2015
babalose:
What's the cost of the piling you did for that 5 bedroom duplex with attached 2 and 3 bedroom flat

It's around N1.6m (Materials and Labour inclusive).
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by brabus(m): 5:52am On Jan 26, 2015
NEW! Development Land For Sale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYxJy7k5bRI
Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by n3xt(m): 7:27am On May 26, 2016
Buying a Land or Building in Lagos: Know the Setback Requirements.

Planning is a system that orders the use and development of land for the benefit of our communities. The overall aim of planning is to ensure a balance between enabling development while at the same time conserving and protecting the environment and local amenities. The idea is to create better and balanced environment for people to live, work, play, pray, recreate and move around with utmost ease.

https://nexthomedesigns.com/2016/05/26/building-in-lagos-know-the-setback-requirements/

Re: From Drab To Fab: Our House Construction Journey by Gitlord: 12:13pm On Nov 20, 2019
Nice projects

(1) (2) (Reply)

To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala / Abuja Properties Whatsapp Group Dropp Your Number / Execuitive Flat To Let @ Yaba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.