Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,432 members, 7,850,522 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 12:15 AM

Enugu: Opposition Leaders Call For 7-day Prayer For Chime - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu: Opposition Leaders Call For 7-day Prayer For Chime (657 Views)

'Pastors For Change' On 7-day Prayer, Announce That God Chose Buhari / Opposition Leaders Behind Fuel Scarcity, Says mu’azu / Breaking News: Leaders Call For Jega's Arrest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enugu: Opposition Leaders Call For 7-day Prayer For Chime by Ikengawo: 3:17pm On Feb 02, 2013
Enugu: Opposition leaders call for 7-day prayer for Chime

Written by Chuma Austin- Enugu
Friday, February 1, 2013

LEADERS of opposition groups in Enugu State, on the platform of “Save Enugu Group (SEG),” have called on the acting governor of the state, Sunday Onyebuchi, to facilitate a seven-day prayer for the ailing state governor, Sullivan Chime, for quick recovery and safe return to Nigeria

Rising from a meeting in Enugu on Thursday, the leader of the group, Chief Maxi Okwu, stated that the issue of the whereabouts and health status of Governor Chime had been essentially settled, even when the state government had claimed that he was on holiday enjoying his accumulated leave.

Okwu said: “It is now publicly known and tacitly conceded by Enugu State government (ENSG) that he is convalescing in London. All the rumours and speculations have now been laid to rest and various groups are now praying for his full recovery.

“The ENSG has not acted on our advice to facilitate seven days of prayers and fasting for his recovery. They also have not officially explained to the people of the state what the true situation of the governor is, nor apologised for all the lies and falsehood,” he added.

The group wondered why the state government had also refused to constitute a delegation of eminent sons and daughters of the state as it suggested, to visit the ailing governor, adding that “rather, in utter contempt of the people of Enugu State and Igboland, they came up with a questionable picture of Governor Chime with some governors from the South-South and North Central.

“We are, however, reliably informed that certain federal legislators from our state have perfected plans to visit our governor in London. We join in the various private initiatives on prayer intercessions and urge all men and women of goodwill to pray fervently for ailing Governor Chime.”

At a town hall meeting in Enugu on Tuesday, which was part of the good governance tour train led by the Federal Minister of Information, Labaran Maku, the state acting governor, Onyebuchi, reportedly said he was in charge of the state apparatus, agreeing that Governor Chime actually handed over to him through a letter to the state House of Assembly before he left the shore of the country four months ago.

According to him, “if I was given a limit to approve only N500,000, how would our workers get their salaries? How would the contractors who are still working be paid? Enugu has no problem with governance.”

The acting-governor’s response laid to rest the allegation that a cabal, known as G-5, has been running the affairs of the state with him merely a ceremonial acting governor.

The SEG had earlier made it an issue with the Speaker of the state House of Assembly, Eugene Odoh, to make public the letter from Governor Chime to him pursuant to section 190 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended).

Enugu has really built and exemplary society for it's self. I'm a big fan of the Chime administration and the Chimaroke clique in the PDP.
a governor that doesn't announce projects before they're finished, insists they're the same quality as the rest of the world, gets sick but hands over promptly, and because rule of law is in place the state functions just fine without him meaning they have surpassed the level of 'big man' politics and now things function with full civility. I'm not going to say there's isn't corruption in the state or elements of the usual 'nigerian element' but there is a great deal of political maturity that isn't happening anywhere except Enugu and Lagos

I remember the Mali Empire of ancient west africa, which is argued to be the zenith of west african glory was celebrated in my books because it had a kin g(Abubakar II) that was wondering if the Atlantic ocean had 'another side' like the Niger River. This is a little bit before Christopher Columbus aimed to do the same thing. He sent 1 expedition of nearly 1000 ships and they all sunk except 1 which returned to tell stories of a land where the ocean spins and swallows ships (hurricanes, don't happen in africa but happen in the western hemisphere. He then decided that his crew was simply incompetent and he wanted to lead the next expedition himself. He built even more ships, and set sail with the crew...at first he was gone for years...than decades, than his people realized he was never coming back and moved on.

His achievement and the sign of the greatness of his empire, far more vast and diverse than Nigeria, wasn't the fact that he even took on this expedition though it says a lot. To me the greatest element of this story is the fact that he left the throne unoccupied for decades and everything functioned as it was supposed to. This is the mark of a great king, a great empire and a great people.

I know that even in my own imo state if the governor sneezes wrong everyone will decide the take advantage and it shows our own lack of political maturity. So is the case with the rest of Nigeria, but in Enugu, works are being completed expanded and commissioned, and now the opposition, which in other states will try to even destroy their own home for power, is gathering to show solidarity for their sick governor and son. This makes me proud this morning and lets me know there's hope for Nigeria in the midst of chaos.
Re: Enugu: Opposition Leaders Call For 7-day Prayer For Chime by vanbonattel: 3:29pm On Feb 02, 2013
What i like best in the maturity of enugu politics is their rotational policy and the respect the three zones give to each other, not even Chimaroke in his madness could break the rotational respect.
Re: Enugu: Opposition Leaders Call For 7-day Prayer For Chime by Nightshift(m): 4:16pm On Feb 02, 2013
Great observation from the op! Rewind back : when Enugu State was created some folks in some parts of Igboland were saying that 'Wawa' people would start killing each other if left by themselves. Little did those people know that the children and grandchildren of former coal miners have learnt to imbibe patience and humility . Enugu people hardly boast, they rather work diligently to achieve success in whatever they do. This civil decorum passed down from the colonial coal mine administrators has remained part of Enugu culture . A kind of no drama attitude . Hence my coined phrase for Coal City State : Dedication + Competence Redefined !!
Re: Enugu: Opposition Leaders Call For 7-day Prayer For Chime by NegroNtns(m): 4:34pm On Feb 02, 2013
Ikengawo: Enugu: Opposition leaders call for 7-day prayer for Chime

Enugu has really built and exemplary society for it's self. I'm a big fan of the Chime administration and the Chimaroke clique in the PDP.
a governor that doesn't announce projects before they're finished, insists they're the same quality as the rest of the world, gets sick but hands over promptly, and because rule of law is in place the state functions just fine without him meaning they have surpassed the level of 'big man' politics and now things function with full civility. I'm not going to say there's isn't corruption in the state or elements of the usual 'nigerian element' but there is a great deal of political maturity that isn't happening anywhere except Enugu and Lagos

I remember the Mali Empire of ancient west africa, which is argued to be the zenith of west african glory was celebrated in my books because it had a kin g(Abubakar II) that was wondering if the Atlantic ocean had 'another side' like the Niger River. This is a little bit before Christopher Columbus aimed to do the same thing. He sent 1 expedition of nearly 1000 ships and they all sunk except 1 which returned to tell stories of a land where the ocean spins and swallows ships (hurricanes, don't happen in africa but happen in the western hemisphere. He then decided that his crew was simply incompetent and he wanted to lead the next expedition himself. He built even more ships, and set sail with the crew...at first he was gone for years...than decades, than his people realized he was never coming back and moved on.

His achievement and the sign of the greatness of his empire, far more vast and diverse than Nigeria, wasn't the fact that he even took on this expedition though it says a lot. To me the greatest element of this story is the fact that he left the throne unoccupied for decades and everything functioned as it was supposed to. This is the mark of a great king, a great empire and a great people.

I know that even in my own imo state if the governor sneezes wrong everyone will decide the take advantage and it shows our own lack of political maturity. So is the case with the rest of Nigeria, but in Enugu, works are being completed expanded and commissioned, and now the opposition, which in other states will try to even destroy their own home for power, is gathering to show solidarity for their sick governor and son. This makes me proud this morning and lets me know there's hope for Nigeria in the midst of chaos.

grin grin grin. cheesy cheesy grin

ikengawo, happy weekend my brother! i dont want to comment on this one.
Re: Enugu: Opposition Leaders Call For 7-day Prayer For Chime by Ikengawo: 7:49pm On Feb 02, 2013
lol you too.

I'm a big fan of Ekweremadu as well. He exemplifies what a modern igbo man should be to me. Some people don't like him but I think he's a great leader to his people and his intelligence can't be denied. He's a man of ideas.
Re: Enugu: Opposition Leaders Call For 7-day Prayer For Chime by OmoTier1(m): 10:54pm On Feb 02, 2013
Stupidity at its highest! Enugu people have themselves to blame.
Re: Enugu: Opposition Leaders Call For 7-day Prayer For Chime by petrov10: 6:48am On Feb 03, 2013
love enuguu

(1) (Reply)

Is It Now Ihejirika’s Turn? – By John Okiyi Kalu / Oby Ezekwesili Vs. President Goodluck - Falana's Comments On The Issue / Jonathan Doles Out Cash, Lands, And National Honours On Super Eagles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.