Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:41 AM

CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes (4777 Views)

Return ‘Arabic Ajami’ To Naira Notes – Muslim Group(MURIC) Urges Buhari! / Too Much Money: This PDP Man Poses With Piles Of Naira Notes - Photo / 5000 Naira Notes: The Solution To Our Problems? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by Idekeson(m): 12:47am On May 02, 2006
President Olusegun Obasanjo has sent a new Central Bank of Nigeria bill to the National Assembly, which seeks to curtail the abuse of the country's currency.

Spraying of, dancing or marching on the Naira or any note issued by the Bank during social occasions or otherwise howsoever shall constitute an abuse and defacing of the Naira or such note and shall be punishable under the new law.
It shall also be an offence to hawk, sell or otherwise trade in the naira note or any other note issued by the Bank.

Spraying under the new law includes adorning, decorating anything or any person or any part of any person or the person of another with naira notes or coins.

The bill also includes sprinkling, sticking of the naira notes or coins regardless of the amount, occasion or intent.

It also explained "marching" to include spreading, scattering or littering of any surface with any naira notes or coins and stepping thereon.

This is a welcome development. I hope it is passed into law ASAP.

1 Like

Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by glamrocka(f): 2:29am On May 02, 2006
Looks like Mr President is bored
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by my2cents(m): 3:13am On May 02, 2006
Sounds more like he is creating a diversion from his plans to go for a 3rd term shocked
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by nobody2: 9:02am On May 02, 2006
grin OBJ is more of a movie actor than a president.
our problems are far from what we do with the naira when we get it. we should be talking about how to get the naira.
if OBJ and his numerious adviser lack what to put into laws, let them think about the electricity and water of the country which is the pillar of production and development.
let them think about the security lapses in high and low places.
if amendements in the constitution is compulsory let them think about phasing out old and over aged players from the pitch of presidency.
i suggest our able home movies producers and writters come up with a movie with Pete Edochia or Justice Essiri as a president so that every Nigerian will be convienced that OBJ is less than a screen actor in other words the afore mentioned actors can do better than Mr. confussed.
the secret of paying up our debts lays in his interest to gain the minds of international communities in supporting his third term agenda.
we are not riped as not to owe.
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by ono(m): 9:11am On May 02, 2006
chrischidi:

grin OBJ is more of a movie actor than a president.
our problems are far from what we do with the naira when we get it. we should be talking about how to get the naira.
if OBJ and his numerious adviser lack what to put into laws, let them think about the electricity and water of the country which is the pillar of production and development.
let them think about the security lapses in high and low places.
if amendements in the constitution is compulsory let them think about phasing out old and over aged players from the pitch of presidency.
i suggest our able home movies producers and writters come up with a movie with Pete Edochia or Justice Essiri as a president so that every Nigerian will be convienced that OBJ is less than a screen actor in other words the afore mentioned actors can do better than Mr. confussed.
the secret of paying up our debts lays in his interest to gain the minds of international communities in supporting his third term agenda.
we are not riped as not to owe.

Well said, Chrischidi. Very well said.
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by delarontus(f): 10:55am On May 02, 2006
Regardless of what Obasanjo is and the more important things we need in Nigeria, that bill has been long overdue.

Its such a disgrace the things we subject the official currency to. Its part of our identity as a nation state yet we take no pride in it. In as much as we blame government for everything, we as individuals need to contribute our quota to make a change. The advert on the naira typifies what we do to the currency which is not palatable at all.
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by ono(m): 11:00am On May 02, 2006
delarontus:

Regardless of what Obasanjo is and the more important things we need in Nigeria, that bill has been long overdue.

Its such a disgrace the things we subject the official currency to. Its part of our identity as a nation state yet we take no pride in it. In as much as we blame government for everything, we as individuals need to contribute our quota to make a change. The advert on the naira typifies what we do to the currency which is not palatable at all.

Hmnn,
I agree with you, BUT, you must know that it will take AGES for this message to sink in into the average Nigerian. I don't want to elaborate, no time.

Preach on Sis, I hope they'll listen.
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by my2cents(m): 2:05pm On May 02, 2006
You know,

In my opinion, spraying folks with naira is not even .001% as bad as the following, but not limited to, scenarios:

1) Women keeping it in their sweat-filled, greasy bras

2) Suya men using it to wipe excess suya oil

3) Okada wrinkling it so bad in their pockets that by the time they hand it to you, it looks more like a handkerchief

When the money is sprayed (again my opinion, I could be totally wrong about this), it falls to the ground and pple pick it up. I have never seen the quality of those naira bills detoriorate even half as quickly as the above. Spraying money is a tradition that goes many ages.

As one poster has said, it will take years before pple take it seriously. Let's think about it - if approved, how would the law be enforced with weddings and other occassions being held in Nigeria every hour of every weekend day?

Again, just my opinion, but I think it is a diversion to keep our minds off something else, and we all know what that may be wink

As always, my 2 cents
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by Seun(m): 4:14pm On May 02, 2006
<sarcasm>
This is a brilliant plan the CBN Governor to promote e-payment in Nigeria!If the bill is passed, then people will be afraid of naira notes and they will embrace e-payment instead - since they can't be sent to jail for making a mistake with their debit cards. For mishandling a 10 naira note, you might spend 5 years awaiting trial. Brilliant!
</sarcasm>

I hate unecessary laws, moreso in a country that lacks the capability to effectively enforce more essential laws that already exist. This is not just a ban on spraying of notes, it's much more and it's very terrible.
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by Skidoc(m): 4:19pm On May 02, 2006
Seriously, is there anything wrong with it? It's a show of affluence. If you've got it, flaunt it. Owambes won't be owambes again without spraying. Somebody educate me! And yeah they spray dollars in owambes too.
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by Fdeveloper(m): 4:56pm On May 02, 2006
Putting asside the question of whether or not I'm a fan of spraying, surely the main point is that what I do with my money is entirely my own business and I don't think it's up to the state to legislate on such matters.

I'm sure the majority of Nigerians will agree with me that there are a large number of far more pressing issues that require urgent government attention!
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by afrobeat: 5:57pm On May 02, 2006
Fdeveloper:

Putting asside the question of whether or not I'm a fan of spraying, surely the main point is that what I do with my money is entirely my own business and I don't think it's up to the state to legislate on such matters.

I'm sure the majority of Nigerians will agree with me that there are a large number of far more pressing issues that require urgent government attention!

I think this bill is just a waste of time too.

As said previously there are more pressing things that the government needs to deal with like electricity,water, security and roads
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by my2cents(m): 6:12pm On May 02, 2006
I'm telling you guys - first it was the "house help can't be less than 18 years old" law, now this. There is a hidden agenda, and I won't be surprised if it has to do with 2007 lol
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by larger20(m): 7:01pm On May 02, 2006
actually i like the ban,
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by ck14real(m): 8:07pm On May 02, 2006
hey guyz,its a sign that nigeria is really growing cos if naira notes had lives theyll all be extinct by now so KUDOS to obj,BUT NO 2007 4 HIM.
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by Idekeson(m): 8:59pm On May 02, 2006
If you feel the urge to dole out cash, wrap it up and give to whomever you want. Throw it up in air, or on people, and pay the penalty. There are numerous vice in our society that needs attention, but this moronic culture has to stop.
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by Seun(m): 9:23pm On May 02, 2006
A coin or note shall be deemed to have been tampered with if the coin or note has been impaired, diminished or lightened otherwise than by fair wear and tear or has been defaced by stumping, engraving, mutilating, piercing, stapling, writing, tearing, soiling, squeezing or any other form of deliberate and willful abuse whether the coin or note has or has not been thereby diminished or lightened.

"For the avoidance of doubt, spraying of, dancing or marching on the Naira or any note issued by the Bank during social occasions or otherwise howsoever shall constitute an abuse and defacing of the Naira or such note and shall be punishable under subsection (1) of this section.

"It shall also be an offence punishable under subsection (1) of this section for any person to hawk, sell or otherwise trade in the naira note or any other note issued by the Bank."

Left to me, any laws that are not absolutely necessary should be prevented from being passed because once the law is passed it would be difficult to change it if it is found to have unintended consequences. However, I am happy about the part that says the penalty only applies to wilful abuse. So if I naira note mistakenly gets torn in my hands, I'm not going to prison for it. Thank goodness!
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by bolex(m): 12:27am On May 03, 2006
Wetin baba dey talk again ?

How many of us have noticed that most grand fathers are annoying

Now you can see an example

grin cool

God , help Nigeria
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by princeonx: 1:11am On May 03, 2006
That name really fit that man OBJ grin one of my friend said it mean OBJECTION (OBJ)
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by WesleyanA(f): 5:44am On May 03, 2006
dumb law that makes no sense to me undecided

OBJ needs to get a life or go to sleep or something.
If he can't tackle serious issues and instead want to pretend activeness by forming incessant lame bills that do nothing to help Nigeria, he really should go to bed.

How's that going to raise the Naira value anyways? I don't see how that's going to stop a dollar from equaling 125 naira.
He needs to do something about that instead.

How easy is it to pass a bill like that and how hard is it to pass a bill that actually does something to the economy and integrity of Nigeria?

I think this bill if passed into law definitely will end something that's unique about the Nigerian Culture and tradition (probably the only good part to the country since the economic and political spheres are obviously dysfunctional)
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by Mongue(m): 12:39pm On May 03, 2006
This is good info to have, next time I'm at a wedding getting hassled by one of the friendly talking drummers I'll let him know this is the reason my naira is staying in my pocket!!!
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by bolex(m): 12:20pm On May 04, 2006
OBJ has made life hard for some people not thinking of how he suffered to get to the top

That is just sad

embarassed
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by losky(m): 12:24pm On May 04, 2006
i think this bill makes A WHOLE LOT  of sense,
its now a"ritual" in every wedding ceremony!the reception program must have "bridal dance" and the guests MUST come out and spray.u even find some people selling clean naira notes at such ceremonies!!
cmmon guys,this helps to put an end to all these forms of abuse,
yes,there are other things in the country to be addressed,but dont u think this is one of them
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by bolex(m): 12:37pm On May 04, 2006
@ losky, abuja boi

Spraying of money , they do it in ASO ROCK

They spray the bad bitches like hell

Spraying of money is in textbooks and notebooks

That is one of the things that defines Nigeria

The nigga is trying to steal away our culture

He wants to tell me he hasn't sprayed money before ?

Or has he never kept money in his pants ?

Nigga , pleeeeeaaaaseeeee

Naija would always be Naija , nothing can change it

In UK , In USA , they do their own things too , no 1 complains

abeg , there are people suffering out there for money , he should face that and not disturb himself with unecessary issues
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by losky(m): 1:07pm On May 04, 2006
Bolex,how can u say "naija will always be naija,nothing can change it"
thats a terrible thing to say cos i think we all should do all we can to change naija, and let go of that "naija-will-always-be-naija" attitude.
yes we're all guilty of abusing the naira,but whats wrong with making an attempt to stop it?
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by bolex(m): 1:57pm On May 04, 2006
haha

there are far bigger issues to be changed in Naija

Guess what

Naija will always be Naija ,,, UP NEPA

Tell oga presido to deal with that 1st

Then we can start talking other issues

cool

So , when I say Naija well always be Naija , I mean until biggggggerrrr improvements are made

It can never stop being Naija

hahaha , we need to start using bus pass and rail passes as well grin
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by dearzi(f): 3:35am On May 05, 2006
Honestly, OBJ should focus on more pressing issues. I came home over Christmas, if not for dusting powder i'd have come back to yankee with heat rashes. Thank God for medication, i had to take malaria medications not to be quarantined. I had to go take a TB test for my job, and please the thing tested positive because of the drugs i took over the break--need i say i lost the job? I don't even smoke! So OBJ should focus on health issues, electricity and the way forward, and leave spraying of the naira alone.

You guys face it, it's who we are--even at the parties here in Yankee people spray their HARD earned dollars, and the Americans marvel, they don't think we're ignorant as a lot of us are heading our fields. They trip cuz their lives are so boring.
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by bolex(m): 6:49am On May 05, 2006
@ dearzi

dat's a sad story u got there

now tell me , does CBN money spraying or not help with clean enviroment , good food , money , feeding the poor , helping those abroad ,,, etc ?

rubbish
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by bolex(m): 6:50am On May 05, 2006
ps :the main reason we all leaving dt country is cos it's been f**ked by those who are supposed 2 be our grand dads on pension or retirement of holiday ?

angry angry angry sad sad sad sad
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by Jakumo(m): 9:56am On May 05, 2006
Yes, the law banning the throwing of wads of currency notes at dancers and musicians at  parties is rather silly and will be virtually impossible to enforce, BUT there is something inherently obscene about fat rich folks dancing and tossing about flurries of cash while uninvited poor folks who aren't sure where the next meal will come from look on in anguish from the sidelines.

Little wonder it is that armed robbers frequently attack such parties to help those plump, self-adulatory rich folks dispose of their throwing cash.  From this standpoint alone, a law banning the open squandering of currency stacks may in the long run save more than a few rich folks from stopping a face-full of buck-shot during such party robberies, if that is indeed a good thing.
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by Jakumo(m): 9:56am On May 05, 2006
Unintended Double Post
Re: CBN Bill Bans Spraying Of Naira Notes by nuggard(m): 5:07pm On May 05, 2006
Agreed that this law is not one that directly/ or even indirectly betters the life of the ordinary Nigerian, spraying money and every other thing we subject it to is a reflection of How Indisciplined we are.

If we pay attention to the minutest details of our environment then we will have roads repaired speedily, people burying their dead in cemeterys and not in their houses, People will obey traffic rules, their will be less litter, houses will be registered, Buildings will have fire escapes etc, . . . . .I can go on and on but guys in Yankee aren't these the xtics of yankee.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bitter - Sweet: Iyabo's Mother Recounts Ordeal In The Hand Of Olusegun Obasanjo / Nigerian President Finally Nominates Sanusi As Central Bank Governor / Imo State Apc Congress A Bloody Disaster, Rochas Okorocha Firmly Defeated By Sen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.