Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,423 members, 7,822,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:25 PM

How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It (30554 Views)

Transparent Car By A German Company / Photo: Can You Tell What Toyota Car This Is By Looking At Its Interior? / V4 / V6 Fuel Consumptions, Whats The Difference? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by lumideezle(m): 1:35pm On Feb 08, 2013
Hello everyone,
I'm new to automobiles, just got a volvo 2004 XC90 and I have been wondering if the car is a V4, V6 or v8 engine. I need this information to know what to expect when it comes to fuel consumption.
Its not written at the back of the car.
Also Gurus in the house please advice me on how to effectively takecare of the SUV thanks.
Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by lumideezle(m): 2:26pm On Feb 08, 2013
Please I'm still waiting for your response. @siena, ikenna and other professionals in the house
Thanks
Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by phrancys001(m): 2:33pm On Feb 08, 2013
Use ur VIN report to comfirm
Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by lungwun(m): 4:42pm On Feb 08, 2013
What in the world is a V4?
Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by lumideezle(m): 5:17pm On Feb 08, 2013
phrancys001: Use ur VIN report to comfirm
I checked the VIN and what I saw are 19 digits not 17 as expected
Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by ZIMDRILL(m): 5:22pm On Feb 08, 2013
lumideezle: Hello everyone,
I'm new to automobiles, just got a volvo 2004 XC90 and I have been wondering if the car is a V4, V6 or v8 engine. I need this information to know what to expect when it comes to fuel consumption.
Also Gurus in the house please advice me on how to effectively takecare of the SUV thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_XC90
Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by adanny01(m): 10:01pm On Feb 08, 2013
V4 is not a popular engine.

Common ones are I4, I5, I6, V6, V8, W12 (Bugatti veyron).

The figure stands for the number of cylinders while the letter represents the arrangement of the cylinders.

Easiest way to know the type is to count the number of any of the following on the engine whichever is visible: Spark Plugs, spark plug cables/coils, fuel injectors, inlet/intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds. The arrangement can be seen from them too.
Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by DisGuy: 8:03pm On Feb 09, 2013
you mean you bought the car before knowing the engine size grin

or you were given the car?

lumideezle: Hello everyone,
I'm new to automobiles, [b]just got a volvo 2004 XC90 [/b]and I have been wondering if the car is a V4, V6 or v8 engine. I need this information to know what to expect when it comes to fuel consumption.

1 Like

Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by Nobody: 8:21pm On Feb 09, 2013
Dis Guy: you mean you bought the car before knowing the engine size grin

or you were given the car?

That's a popular Nigerian trend, pretty shocking too.

1 Like

Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by lumideezle(m): 2:19pm On Feb 10, 2013
ThaNks to those that responded, I now know its a V6 engine. And from my 2weeks experience driving the car, its resornably fuel efficient.
Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by Nobody: 6:41pm On Feb 10, 2013
The XC90 doesn't have a 'V6' option. It has two 'straight-5' engine options (one is a petrol while d other is a diesel). Two petrol 'straight-sixes' are offered and a yamaha built V8 , bringing the total number of engines offered for the XC90 to 5. A V6 has two banks of 3 cylinders on either side while 'a straight' or 'inline 6' has its cylinders arranged longitudinally...straight sixes are smoother than V6s in operation. V6s are compact in dimension and can be 'squeezed' into small engine compartments. A V8 has 2 banks of 4cyls on either side, a V12 has two banks of 6cyls on either side. These are just the basics..

1 Like

Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by sultaan(m): 7:22pm On Feb 10, 2013
The same way you get to know what the individual attached is working with.

You just can't looks at the paint work and grill to think you will enjoy the ride, you have to get your fingers in there and pop the hood.If you're still not sure of what you're looking at; you will have to get your fingers dirty and remove the cover if there is one. Look at the spark and ignition,the size it displaces is written there.

If you do these things and you still can't figure what you are working with check out some other rides; test drive and if you still can't tell the difference between the size and feel of the ride, try a bigger ride.

For those virgins popping the hood for the first time, keep doing it and you will learn something new every time.

Sometimes size does matters, and I am talking about engine you dirty souls grin

2 Likes

Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by plendil: 10:02pm On Feb 11, 2013
platinumricky: The XC90 doesn't have a 'V6' option. It has two 'straight-5' engine options (one is a petrol while d other is a diesel). Two petrol 'straight-sixes' are offered and a yamaha built V8 , bringing the total number of engines offered for the XC90 to 5. A V6 has two banks of 3 cylinders on either side while 'a straight' or 'inline 6' has its cylinders arranged longitudinally...straight sixes are smoother than V6s in operation. V6s are compact in dimension and can be 'squeezed' into small engine compartments. A V8 has 2 banks of 4cyls on either side, a V12 has two banks of 6cyls on either side. These are just the basics..

So which one is I5? Is it that there are 3 facing up and 2 down??
Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by Nobody: 11:44pm On Feb 11, 2013
plendil: So which one is I5? Is it that there are 3 facing up and 2 down??

I5 is 5 cylinders in a row, just like an I4 (4 cylinder).

2 Likes

Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by Nobody: 6:59pm On Feb 12, 2013
Siena:

I5 is 5 cylinders in a row, just like an I4 (4 cylinder).
On point.
Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by Trac: 12:22am On Feb 13, 2013
It is not an I5 but L5. BXXX engines are not inline (straight as previously stated). An inline is what you have in a BMW.

A 5 has disturbances within the laws of physics at the half-order (1/2) but smooth at the first and second orders respectively. This vibrational frequency is completely eliminated by dispersing it through (across) the engine bay. That is the entire engine front of the car (radiator support, side fenders and the firewall; the entire perimeter).

Volvo 5 cylinders are the true Volvo engines that is still designed by in-house Volvo engineers. The 4's, 6's and 8's are not traditional Volvo engines. They also aren't Swedish.

To know engine configurations by sight on site, have someone explain it to you on site. Some are easy to tell and some aren't easy to tell on site. There are cues and you should be explained to what to look out for. For example: a car with a congested bay and a block cover may offer no information; you wouldn't be able to count headers (if you choose this route to determine) and so on. There are many ways.

2 Likes

Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by Nobody: 12:50am On Feb 13, 2013
Trac, for the purpose of this thread, the Volvo 5-cylinder engine is an inline 5. Audi have always expressed their 5 cylinder motors as I5's since their introduction in 1976. The same goes for the Mercedes-Benz OM series 5 cylinder diesel engines that were introduced around 1974.

The I5 conrods are still aligned on a single-plane crankshaft, which is where the I reference comes from, regardless of secondary-order vibration, which is an inherent characteristic of an I5 motor.

3 Likes

Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by abdulkadir(m): 7:26am On Feb 13, 2013
Bump

1 Like

Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by lumideezle(m): 12:32pm On Feb 13, 2013
To be sincere, I am struglling to understand the I5 engines you peeps are discribing but I am learning tho.

Unfortunately, I'll have to eat my words, I said the Volvo XC90 dosent consume much fuel, but after driving a friends. Toyota highlander 4 2dys I've been able to compare the fuel consumption and I must say the XC90 consumes a whole lot of fuel compared to the highlander infact is drinks the fuel lol. i had to put this update up so that intending buyers would know what they are getting themselves in2.
Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by Trac: 4:16am On Feb 14, 2013
Siena: Trac, for the purpose of this thread, the Volvo 5-cylinder engine is an inline 5. Audi have always expressed their 5 cylinder motors as I5's since their introduction in 1976. The same goes for the Mercedes-Benz OM series 5 cylinder diesel engines that were introduced around 1974.

The I5 conrods are still aligned on a single-plane crankshaft, which is where the I reference comes from, regardless of secondary-order vibration, which is an inherent characteristic of an I5 motor.

Thanks! I've noted the correction. smiley smiley smiley
Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by AutoC: 6:09pm On Feb 14, 2013
XC 90 is a V5 engine vehicle
Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by Nobody: 6:16pm On Feb 14, 2013
AutoC: XC 90 is a V5 engine vehicle

Dude, please don't feed people with wrong info about their engines, and automobile in general. How did you arrive at "V5"? The 5 cylinder Volvo engines are Inline Fives (I5).

2 Likes

Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by sultaan(m): 7:18am On Feb 15, 2013
Virgins undecided

1 Like

Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by oweniwe(m): 8:50am On Oct 13, 2013
lumideezle: To be sincere, I am struglling to understand the I5 engines you peeps are discribing but I am learning tho.

Unfortunately, I'll have to eat my words, I said the Volvo XC90 dosent consume much fuel, but after driving a friends. Toyota highlander 4 2dys I've been able to compare the fuel consumption and I must say the XC90 consumes a whole lot of fuel compared to the highlander infact is drinks the fuel lol. i had to put this update up so that intending buyers would know what they are getting themselves in2.
why this sort of uninformed post?

Do you know if the Toyota Highlander is Hybrid?

So far as your Volvo gives you the power and stability you require, . . I don't see any big deal
Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by elektra80: 9:26am On Oct 13, 2013
lumideezle: To be sincere, I am struglling to understand the I5 engines you peeps are discribing but I am learning tho.

first did u confirm if the highlander is I4 or v6 or even hybrid? Also what is the state of ur Volvo? Are ur o2 sensors working properly? Do u have a check engine light on? What about ur tyres. Lastly what mpg do u get that makes u think its drinking fuel .
Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by blazerMaks: 9:46pm On Oct 13, 2013
Lumdizzile, can you contact me on fynesimbi@live.com please? It has to do with BATN. Thanks
Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by cardoctor(m): 1:12am On Oct 14, 2013
AutoC: XC 90 is a V5 engine vehicle

SMH

So much confusion here. Please be careful.

Car-Doctor.
Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by Mlud: 1:17pm On Oct 16, 2013
@Lumideezle

I'm no expert but I know a little bit about Volvo XC90's as I had one for 7 years. They are lovely family vehicles so you are in for a treat.

Going through a process of elimination I figure your car is unlikely to be the 5 cylinder 2.4 diesel as there are not many in Nigeria. I also doubt it is as your poor car would probably be comatose by now after being fed the wrong juice.

That leaves the 2.5 in line 5 Cylinder engine, a 3.2 straight 6 and the juicy 4.4 V8. I remember there is also a fast 2.9 twin-turbo 6 cylinder engine (T6). Unfortunately Volvo XC90 is not one of those cars where you can identify the engine by checking the equipment levels or exhaust tail piles in the case of the diesel.

I think a V8 growl is unmistakable and keen drivers will probably know right away. For a 2 ton SUV it will probably also have power and acceleration like no other except maybe for the T6. Going by the law of averages you are quite likely to have one of the smaller engines.

I was going to ask you to get someone knowledgeable to lift the black plastic engine cover if it is still in place. If they know about engines they should tell you from the inlet manifold pipes by the side of the engine block if it is a 5 Cyl engine or a Vee formation.

Better still I'll offer you an easier option. Copy your VIN No. obtainable from the bottom of the car's front screen and enter it into one of the free VIN check sites on the internet. This should tell you the engine size, build date, colour, cylinders and some more information about your car's history which you will find useful. It may reveal something in its history which you may not be aware of but that's another matter.
Your primary request was to ascertain the engine size of your new pride and joy.
Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by sultaan(m): 2:47pm On Oct 16, 2013
Mlud: @Lumideezle

I'm no expert but I know a little bit about Volvo XC90's as I had one for 7 years. They are lovely family vehicles so you are in for a treat.

Going through a process of elimination I figure your car is unlikely to be the 5 cylinder 2.4 diesel as there are not many in Nigeria. I also doubt it is as your poor car would probably be comatose by now after being fed the wrong juice.

That leaves the 2.5 in line 5 Cylinder engine, a 3.2 straight 6 and the juicy 4.4 V8. I remember there is also a fast 2.9 twin-turbo 6 cylinder engine (T6). Unfortunately Volvo XC90 is not one of those cars where you can identify the engine by checking the equipment levels or exhaust tail piles in the case of the diesel.

I think a V8 growl is unmistakable and keen drivers will probably know right away. For a 2 ton SUV it will probably also have power and acceleration like no other except maybe for the T6. Going by the law of averages you are quite likely to have one of the smaller engines.

I was going to ask you to get someone knowledgeable to lift the black plastic engine cover if it is still in place. If they know about engines they should tell you from the inlet manifold pipes by the side of the engine block if it is a 5 Cyl engine or a Vee formation.

Better still I'll offer you an easier option. Copy your VIN No. obtainable from the bottom of the car's front screen and enter it into one of the free VIN check sites on the internet. This should tell you the engine size, build date, colour, cylinders and some more information about your car's history which you will find useful. It may reveal something in its history which you may not be aware of but that's another matter.
Your primary request was to ascertain the engine size of your new pride and joy.

Or just post a pic with the Toyota Camry engine in it
cheesy cheesy grin being sarcastic
Re: How To Know A V4, V6, Or V8. Car By mere Looking At It by Josh316(m): 4:29pm On Oct 18, 2013
platinumricky: The XC90 doesn't have a 'V6' option. It has two 'straight-5' engine options (one is a petrol while d other is a diesel). Two petrol 'straight-sixes' are offered and a yamaha built V8 , bringing the total number of engines offered for the XC90 to 5. A V6 has two banks of 3 cylinders on either side while 'a straight' or 'inline 6' has its cylinders arranged longitudinally...straight sixes are smoother than V6s in operation. V6s are compact in dimension and can be 'squeezed' into small engine compartments. A V8 has 2 banks of 4cyls on either side, a V12 has two banks of 6cyls on either side. These are just the basics..

I have been schooled today...

Thanks man!

(1) (Reply)

Passengers & Goods Loaded Together In A BRT Bus At Idumota (Pictures) / May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers / Picture Of A Graduate Driving Keke-napep In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.