Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,876 members, 7,817,581 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:51 PM

Internship In Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Internship In Nigeria (4555 Views)

Come And See Another Newest Job And Internship In Nigeria / Industrial Chemists, Chemists & Microbiologists Needed For Internship In Ph. / Best Companies For Internship In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Internship In Nigeria by walexg2: 6:38pm On May 02, 2006
Hi Guys,

I came across this page coincidentally, the person who came up with this is an angel. Especially for those of us schooling abroad, it is almost imposible to get first hand information from the appropraite people.

I'm Studying mechanical Engineering in Germany and I'm thinking about coming back home for an Internship for a few weeks or months.

I have been away from Nigeria for quite some time, and i think it would be an opprtunity for me to get to know what working in Nigeria would like.

But i have now idea how to go about that, searching for information online has not really been helpfull.

I would be glad for Your tips about vacancies, making applications, requirements, benefits, conditions etc.

Thanks
Re: Internship In Nigeria by larger20(m): 6:50pm On May 02, 2006
walex_g:

Hi Guys,

I came across this page coincidentally, the person who came up with this is an angel. Especially for those of us schooling abroad, it is almost imposible to get first hand information from the appropraite people.

I'm Studying mechanical Engineering in Germany and I'm thinking about coming back home for an Internship for a few weeks or months.

I have been away from Nigeria for quite some time, and i think it would be an opprtunity for me to get to know what working in Nigeria would like.

But i have now idea how to go about that, searching for information online has not really been helpfull.

I would be glad for Your tips about vacancies, making applications, requirements, benefits, conditions etc.

Thanks

Economic wise,. its not advisible to come home for internship because of superfulous airplane ticket.
Re: Internship In Nigeria by Seun(m): 10:33pm On May 02, 2006
What sort of experience do you think you can get in nigerian company that's not available in the US? NEPA management?
Re: Internship In Nigeria by mochafella(m): 10:39pm On May 02, 2006
walex_g:

@walex

erm, stay where you are, except you intend to return to Nigeria after you graduate. Presenting an internship from Nigeria to a Geman employer will likely put you at a disadvantage. However presenting a German internship to a Nigerian employer will put you at an advantage. If you want to know what working in Nigeria is like, call up a relative and ask them. However complete your internship in Germany and then decide after you graduate if you want to stay there or return to Nigeria.

Do not put yourself at a disadvantage prematurely.
Re: Internship In Nigeria by uchie(f): 11:24pm On May 02, 2006
I actually disagree with you guys.
If you cannot find an internship in Germany that fits your standard, Nigeria is an excellent place to complete one especially if you intern with an international company like schlumberger or shell in Nigeria.
I go to school abroad and did 2 internships in Nigeria. Not only did it allow me to become on a first name basis with the partners and MDs of the firms, it also allowed me to meet so many people. If I go back to Nigeria, I will have automatic job offers with those firms. Plus they were able to arrange interviews for me wit their offices here.

So my dear, if you want an internship in Nigeria.
Identify the companies, email them or ask around your relatives if they know anyone that works there and voila.
My 2 main points of advice are : Make sure you choose international/brand name companies and forget about pay. They will pay you but basically peanuts. Make sure you build business relationships during your internship. Good luck.
Re: Internship In Nigeria by mochafella(m): 11:31pm On May 02, 2006
uchie:

I actually disagree with you guys.
If you cannot find an internship in Germany that fits your standard, Nigeria is an excellent place to complete one especially if you intern with an international company like schlumberger or shell in Nigeria.
My 2 main points of advice are : Make sure you choose international/brand name companies

um, I believe walex is referring to a Nigerian-based firm not a multi-national. If it was multi-nationals he wanted he would have found information online. Either way my points do not cover multi-nationals. If you find an internship with one, go for it even if they send you to Mongolia. Name recognition is an awfully powerful tool.
Re: Internship In Nigeria by walexg2: 12:12am On May 03, 2006
First of all, i want to say a big thank u for all your contirbutions so far, it's really impressing. But i think i should be more precise about my intention.

I'm in the middle of my studies in Germany, actually i would say at a stage equivalent to the begining of a matsers Degree in Nigeria. Part of My Programme involves at least 26 weeks of Internship which are of dieffernt types. The first 13 weeks could be done anywhere provided the given guidelines from my school are followed. The major and the most Important part of the internship would definitely be done in Germany, but the point is that having an opprtunity to do an internship in Nigeria will goo a long way improving my knowledge about how i to relate my knowledge to the situation in nigeria. Actually my priority goes to German Companies in Nigeria, but of course other multinational companies as well. Funny enough it's easy getting information about such multinational companies in other African Companies, but it is almost impossible for the ones in Nigeria.

Of course i though about the option of listing them up and sending my applications across to them, but we all know the naija system, connections play a very important role just like anywhere in the world though, but information and tips from those who are on ground would also be very helpfull.

Internship in Nigeria will improve my qualification here in the west, because it is the tough situation which one experiences that makes one outstanding. Students who ahve spent some time abroad especially in developing countries are higly rated here in Germany. Studying is not just about learning technicalities but alos about solving daily problems on the fields, i bet the kind of problems that engineers are soolving in developing countreis are more difficult that the ones solved in developed countries. This is what is highly apreciated in this part of world and what makes the difference. Apart from that , it will make things easier for me , just in case i intend to relocate to Nigeria after graduating.

That's what my idea is all about.

Once again thanks a lot and please tell me your tipps and opinions.

One more thing, , What are the chances like, for nigerians who graduated abroad? In terms of getting a job, the pay, conditions , positions and so on. Say for someone with masters in Mechanical engineering.

I would be glad to read some figures.
Re: Internship In Nigeria by mochafella(m): 12:22am On May 03, 2006
@walex,

uchie has got everything I have to say then.

walex_g:

One more thing, , What are the chances like, for nigerians who graduated abroad? In terms of getting a job, the pay, conditions , positions and so on. Say for someone with masters in Mechanical engineering.

I would be glad to read some figures.
um, I unfortunately don't have answers to that. You might want to try targeting the home offices of the multi-nationals and specifying that you will prefer a posting to Nigeria. Just a guess.
Re: Internship In Nigeria by walexg2: 12:24am On May 03, 2006
And of course , it is not about making money, even here in germany u must be very lucky to find a company that pays u enough to pay ur transportation and rent. The living condition and the possiblities here are totally different though.

I just like to know what the conditions offered by the companies in such cases would look like, if it would be conducive for me or not.
Re: Internship In Nigeria by bolex(m): 4:28am On May 03, 2006
I'd rather do internship in some other country

Cos Naija is not that standard yet

But , best best

Apply to good companies like SHELL
Re: Internship In Nigeria by bollybees(m): 12:24am On Dec 11, 2013
For the surest and latest news about internship opportunities with global firms in Nigeria and Africa: KPMG, pWc, McKinsey, Google...
Do subscribe here http://wintern.com.ng U can also like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/winternafrica and follows us on twitter: http://twitter.com/winternAfrica

(1) (Reply)

See The New Method 419 Are Now Using / Oath Of Secrecy @ my current job place even after working there for 2 years / Massive Recruitment At Eko University Of Medicine And Health Sciences, August 20

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.