Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,899 members, 7,834,984 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Only 5 Percent Of Locally Manufactured Goods Failed To Meet Required Standards - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Only 5 Percent Of Locally Manufactured Goods Failed To Meet Required Standards (763 Views)

Bayelsa Election: Dickson Leads With Over 60 Percent Of Votes / MTN Nigeria Fined $5.2 billion stock plunges 12.5 percent / GEJ On His Endorsement Of Locally Produced Food Stuff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Only 5 Percent Of Locally Manufactured Goods Failed To Meet Required Standards by Nobody: 2:11pm On Feb 10, 2013
In spite of the apathy of Nigerian consumers to locally made products and services and their preference for imported goods, the Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON) has disclosed that only five percent of locally manufactured goods do not meet the required standards and specifications at a period when the Nigerian market is replete with sub-standard products, mostly imported ones.

The position of the standard regulatory body tallies with the mood of economic affairs commentators who warned that the rising appetite of Nigerians for imported products would not only erode the nation’s foreign exchange earnings, but will also aggravate the difficulty being faced by local manufacturers as far as the operating environment is concerned.

Responding to the long-held belief that imported products were far better than those produced locally, Director-General of SON Joseph Odumodu put the degree of compliance with standards by local manufacturers at 95 percent, explaining that few instances of non-compliance were traced to mistakes and not necessarily deliberate attempts to shortchange the consumers.

He said: “When we did a survey on the quality of products in Nigeria; we found out that only five percent of products made in Nigeria did not meet specifications.
Most of the statistics of sub-standard products were contributed by imported products. We discovered that the five percent mark was not a result of deliberate adulteration. Some of them were as a result of mistakes in the manufacturing process, which you can control over time.”

Explaining why despite the degree of compliance with standards, Nigerian manufactured goods do not command patronage abroad,the SON boss said Made-in-Nigeria goods lack accreditation, which is a requirement in many countries.

“One, there is the issue of lack of accreditation in Nigeria but more importantlyalso there is the issue of infrastructure in Nigeria. The issue of power, roads and others. Nigeria, at the last count is about 40 percent at a disadvantage. I’m actually quoting the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria’s numbers, which says that if you want to manufacture a product in Nigeria and manufacture the same products in places like India, the cost in Nigeria will be about 50 percent higher. So how are you going to compete in international market when you have, one, a higher cost structure, and at the end of the day, those people also enjoy export incentives?

This is what gave rise to dumping and it is an issue from countries to countries and at the end of the day, how can a Nigerian manufacturer compete in international market?

That’s where the dilemma is and that is why we are working hard to ensure things are done well. Even the presidentis focusing on power and by the end of this year; we are looking at 10,000 megawatts that clearly will ensure that industry develops,” he said

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/only-5-percent-of-locally-manufactured-goods-failed-to-meet-required-standards/138993/
Re: Only 5 Percent Of Locally Manufactured Goods Failed To Meet Required Standards by kayce911(f): 2:23pm On Feb 10, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: In spite of the apathy of Nigerian consumers to locally made products and services and their preference for imported goods, the Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON) has disclosed that only five percent of locally manufactured goods do not meet the required standards and specifications at a period when the Nigerian market is replete with sub-standard products, mostly imported ones.

The position of the standard regulatory body tallies with the mood of economic affairs commentators who warned that the rising appetite of Nigerians for imported products would not only erode the nation’s foreign exchange earnings, but will also aggravate the difficulty being faced by local manufacturers as far as the operating environment is concerned.

Responding to the long-held belief that imported products were far better than those produced locally, Director-General of SON Joseph Odumodu put the degree of compliance with standards by local manufacturers at 95 percent, explaining that few instances of non-compliance were traced to mistakes and not necessarily deliberate attempts to shortchange the consumers.

He said: “When we did a survey on the quality of products in Nigeria; we found out that only five percent of products made in Nigeria did not meet specifications.
Most of the statistics of sub-standard products were contributed by imported products. We discovered that the five percent mark was not a result of deliberate adulteration. Some of them were as a result of mistakes in the manufacturing process, which you can control over time.”

Explaining why despite the degree of compliance with standards, Nigerian manufactured goods do not command patronage abroad,the SON boss said Made-in-Nigeria goods lack accreditation, which is a requirement in many countries.

“One, there is the issue of lack of accreditation in Nigeria but more importantlyalso there is the issue of infrastructure in Nigeria. The issue of power, roads and others. Nigeria, at the last count is about 40 percent at a disadvantage. I’m actually quoting the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria’s numbers, which says that if you want to manufacture a product in Nigeria and manufacture the same products in places like India, the cost in Nigeria will be about 50 percent higher. So how are you going to compete in international market when you have, one, a higher cost structure, and at the end of the day, those people also enjoy export incentives?

This is what gave rise to dumping and it is an issue from countries to countries and at the end of the day, how can a Nigerian manufacturer compete in international market?

That’s where the dilemma is and that is why we are working hard to ensure things are done well. Even the presidentis focusing on power and by the end of this year; we are looking at 10,000 megawatts that clearly will ensure that industry develops,” he said

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/only-5-percent-of-locally-manufactured-goods-failed-to-meet-required-standards/138993/
[color=#006600][/color]Aba made products never fall below standard despite low patronge,am sure same is applicable to products alover naija but telling me only 5% falls short of standard simply means SON's standard is too poor. Anyway proudly naija.
Re: Only 5 Percent Of Locally Manufactured Goods Failed To Meet Required Standards by OmoTier1(m): 3:28pm On Feb 10, 2013
How can something that is not of standard ever be compared to A STANDARD anyway? In as much as I love Nigeria and I want her to become a major manufacturing country, she's still miles away from producing anything worth comparing to the WESTERN standards, hence she needs to create her own standard if anything... Like the Chinese were forced to!
Re: Only 5 Percent Of Locally Manufactured Goods Failed To Meet Required Standards by slimming: 3:46pm On Feb 10, 2013
if our products are ok, while China?
Re: Only 5 Percent Of Locally Manufactured Goods Failed To Meet Required Standards by Nobody: 6:05pm On Feb 10, 2013
Omo_Tier1: How can something that is not of standard ever be compared to A STANDARD anyway? In as much as I love Nigeria and I want her to become a major manufacturing country, she's still miles away from producing anything worth comparing to the WESTERN standards, hence she needs to create her own standard if anything... Like the Chinese were forced to!
You shouldn't generalise. Made in Nigeria drugs are the best when available. I go for made in Nig drugs whenever available because you'r GUARANTEED of the quality once its made in Nig. No guarantee of quality for imported drugs, with or without NAFDAC number. This is just one example out of many
Re: Only 5 Percent Of Locally Manufactured Goods Failed To Meet Required Standards by OmoTier1(m): 6:48pm On Feb 10, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
You shouldn't generalise. Made in Nigeria drugs are the best when available. I go for made in Nig drugs whenever available because you'r GUARANTEED of the quality once its made in Nig. No guarantee of quality for imported drugs, with or without NAFDAC number. This is just one example out of many
You native doctors herbs Don't act stupid here okay! Each time I go to Nigeria, I manage to give some of the paracetamol, etc from the UK to folks down there, when they take it, they always claim is far more effective than the ones they buy locally.

Let us not deceive ourselves, we are yet to imbibe the culture of standardization and quality is an enemy in our thinking.
Re: Only 5 Percent Of Locally Manufactured Goods Failed To Meet Required Standards by Nobody: 2:10am On Feb 11, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
You native doctors herbs Don't act stupid here okay! Each time I go to Nigeria, I manage to give some of the paracetamol, etc from the UK to folks down there, when they take it, they always claim is far more effective than the ones they buy locally.

Let us not deceive ourselves, we are yet to imbibe the culture of standardization and quality is an enemy in our thinking.
I agree that we need to have and maintain some reasonable level of standard in Nigeria but a typical Nigerian will tell you that a pounded yam from London is better than that from Ekiti! I have heard people claimed that Coca-Cola in Ghana is thicker and richer than that in Nigeria, I wonder how! So naturally Nigerians will claim PCM works wonder as soon as you tell them its from London!
Re: Only 5 Percent Of Locally Manufactured Goods Failed To Meet Required Standards by manny4life(m): 2:44am On Feb 11, 2013
Omo_Tier1:

Well, I guess it differs.

I know a few times that someone had to bring rub and balm from Nigeria down here because the one in Nigeria is 10x stronger. Even some medicines are more stronger than what I see in the U.S., Nigeria has high standard in their products just that they need to meet international organization certification.

(1) (Reply)

Enugu Lifestyle And Golfcity: What Is Going On? / Federal Government Complicit In Fuel Subsidy Fraud - Fashola / The CBN Governor Is At It Again, Listen To What He Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.