Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,619 members, 7,809,273 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:07 AM

FG Vs Ezekwesili: Two Sides Of The Same Phoney Currency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Vs Ezekwesili: Two Sides Of The Same Phoney Currency (453 Views)

Illegality Of Stay Of Proceedings In FG Vs Saraki – Femi Falana / FG vs ASUU: Is N30 Billion Not Enough To Take-Off? / Fg Vs Labour = Deadlock (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

FG Vs Ezekwesili: Two Sides Of The Same Phoney Currency by gramci: 3:15pm On Feb 10, 2013
By Dele Sobowale
“A truth that’s told with bad intent; beats all the lies you caninvent”. William Blake, 1757-1827. (VANGUARD BOOK OF QUOTATIONS p 254).
The two chorus teams, those singing the hymn called by ex-Minister, Dr Obiageli Ezekwesili, and those rendering,off-key, the tune in support of President Jonathan, would like unwary Nigerians to believe that their verbal media slugfest is a contest between “good” and “evil”. It is nothing of the sort.
This is not a case of “saints” and “devils”; it is a contest between those who took us to the cleaners between 1999 and 2007, and those who are screwing us now. The latter started in 2007 and have not stopped. Nobody who was, or, is, a member of any of the governments should attempt to fool us by issuing half-truths and plain falsehood to the media. Dr Ezekwesili will not enhance her personal reputation by admitting she wasa member of the gang that ruled for eight years between 1999 and 2007.
Dr Ezekwesili started the altercations, and, she had askedfor a debate between herself and the incumbent Minister of Information – in my view, a professional dissembler, graduate of University of Jos. Any media house accepting to host such a debate should engage me as the moderator because this one calls for an unbiased umpire. So far, all those who have contributed to this controversy had taken sides.
Dr. Oby Ezekwesili
The opposition political parties, civil society groups etc had swallowed Dr Ezekwesili’s words hook, line and sinker. That is expected from My FellowCitizens; whereas at Unijankara,we always “wonder how many fools it takes to make the term My Fellow Citizens” (Horace Balzac, 1799-1850). Meanwhile government supporters and the PDP had left the substance and are, characteristically, chasing shadows.
The sum total of their defence comes to “we met only$40-something billion in the kitty not $67 billion”. That sounds like the kid accused, in a“face-me-I-face-you” house, of stealing six chunks of meat from the neighbour’s pot of stew who replied, “I am not a thief, there were only four chunks of meat when I opened the pot and emptied it”. The Minister of Information has not told us what they did with what they met in the reserves.
Collectively and individually, most commentators have failed to take the first step required ofany objective public analyst andcommentator—they didn’t ask Dr Ezekwesili to prove that the government of Obasanjo, which she served, actually left $67 billion in foreign reserves, whichPresidents Yar’Adua and Jonathan preceded to “squander”.
Allegation has never been considered sufficient reason to condemn anybody until there is proof to substantiate it. Until the former Minister substantiates her claim; it remains a rumour; and a wickedone at that. Let me hereby warnher supporters, nobody should send me a text message or call unless they have proof to offer in support of the claim of $67 billion thrown away. Only fools do that sort of thing. I don’t suffer fools gladly on important matters.
Let me start by drawing the attention of the former Minister to the book, PDP: CORRUPTION INCORPORATED, part one of which is now in print. If she dares to read that book, published by me, she would be ashamed to have been associated with the governmentof Olusegun Obasanjo which developed the template for (mis)management of public funds since independence. Three examples will be sufficient, out of the thousands available on record, and, which unlike Dr Ezekwesili’s allegations against Yar’Adua and Jonathan, are based on rocksolid facts.
Perhaps the best place to start is with the Abacha Loot, locally and abroad. The last decree signed by General Abubakar Abdusalami, was Decree 53 on May 26, 1999. In it the Federal government announced the forfeiture of money, houses andbusinesses corruptly acquired by Abacha, his National SecurityAdviser, his Chief Security Adviser as well as his son. After that the Federal government mounted pressure on the Swiss government which returned about $5 billion from the Abacha loot illegally held in thatcountry. Till today, there has been no account rendered to the nation by Obasanjo about the recovered loot.
Labaran Maku
Even if Dr Ezekwesili wants to argue that she was not in government until 2004, she cannot make the same claim about the next two examples. The first was the Petroleum Development Trust Fund, PDTF, scandal which broke out when Obasanjo and Atiku were at loggerheads. OBJ as everybody,but his servants in government knew, wanted a Third Term.
Atiku also wanted to exercise his rights under the 1999 constitution to contest for the Presidency after Baba Iyabo might have completed his two terms. One of the most dramatic arenas of conflict was the PDTF. After trying everything else to get rid of Atiku, the former Vice President was accused of looting the PDTF– based on spurious and biased report submitted by Malam Nuhu Ribadu, ex-Chairman of the EFCC.
Thereafter an Administrative Inquiry was ordered by the former President, headed by theformer Attorney General and Minister of Justice, but, including Dr Ezekwesili among other cabinet members to look into the PDTF account. Predictably, the kangaroo court of Obasanjo’s Ministers heaped all the blame for mismanagement and looting of the PDTF account on Atiku and amotion was moved at the Federal Executive Council, FEC, meeting to expel Atiku from the weekly FEC meeting.
First, the former VP contested the legality of the Administrative Inquiry in court and won; then the Senate proceeded to probe the PDTF account after Malam Shehu Garba, a small Napoleon, took on the Federal government withhis factual exposures. In the end, the Senate established at least N269 billion of PDTF money mismanaged by OBJ plusbillions more for which there was no proper account. All these are partly documented in the book, PDP: CORRUPTION INCORPORATED.
From the Senate probe, which was only partly reported in the book, it was clear that for every finger Atiku was alleged to havedipped into the national soup pot, Obasanjo scooped with twohands.
So, on PDTF, Dr Ezekwesili, as a Federal Minister and one of those who voted to oust Atiku from the weekly FEC meeting, while ignoring Obasanjo’s greater involvement in the scandal, was at the time an accessory to the atrocities committed by her boss.
Finally, the most annoying part of Dr Ezekwesili’s assumption ofrighteousness, on behalf of the government she served, had to do with her expectation that Nigerians will be awed by her declaration of $67 billion left by Obasanjo and wasted or embezzled by Yar’Adua and Jonathan. Virtually all who have blindly supported her, without asking questions, are guilty of not putting on their thinking caps before rushing to the media. The truth is Obasanjo’s government, instead of $67 billion, that administration should probably have left nothing less than $100 billion inthe kitty. Where is the rest?

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/02/fg-vs-ezekwesili-two-sides-of-the-same-phoney-currency-1/

(1) (Reply)

Genuine Way To Rescue An Entity Call Nigeria. / I Got Frustrated When I See Billions,trillions Mentioned On Newspapers / Governor Sullivan Chime, Pope Benedict XVI, And The Matter Of Privacy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.