Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,233 members, 7,811,649 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:37 PM

Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out (8510 Views)

7 Strange Traditions In Nigeria You Probably Never Knew / 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins! / Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out by dexymine: 5:41pm On Mar 11, 2008
Here is a write-up of some strange traditions. It's scary what some people do in the name of tradition,

http://www.trifter.com/Africa/Strange-Traditions-of-the-World-You-Probably-Didnt-Know-About.91665
Re: Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out by Glorya(f): 1:41pm On Mar 22, 2008
na wa oh
Re: Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out by Raymond88(m): 5:29am On Mar 24, 2008
Na wa oh is right! shocked
Re: Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out by ifyalways(f): 3:14pm On Mar 25, 2008
wonderful shocked
i have witnessed the "sharo ritual" in nigeria.it wasnt funny to me but the bride-to be was all smiles. . . .the groom is a brave man grin .lol the shoe tying was really funny. . .the toes are so tiny and shapeless.lmao
thank God for civilization and oyibo
Re: Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out by kay9(m): 4:28pm On Apr 29, 2008
The practice of making eunuchs to serve in royal courts isn't new. It was even recorded in the Bible. The ancient Benin kingdom had eunuchs at the Oba's court too.

About the Sati, I saw it first in an India movie last year (forgotten the name; darn thing was quite hard to pronounce). Anyway, we had a version of it practiced by the Igbo's and some parts of Yorubaland before colonization by the British. After the death of an "obi" or "igwe" (this is of the Igbo), head-hunters are sent out to get human heads to bury the dead monarch with. In some communities, the dead obi's wives and slaves were buried with him. Something similar went on on the yoruba side, but i can't remember exactly the details.

But all that was in the past. All such customs have been abolished now.
Re: Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out by angelz(f): 6:29pm On May 21, 2008
The heart of man is bad. What the creator will not subject his creation to, that is what humans do to each other all in the name of tradition.

This is terrible.

never heard of it.
Re: Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out by bluespice(f): 10:00pm On May 21, 2008
The chinese foot binding is the most painful i think they were made to suffer as the bindings steadyly grew into their skin b4 they were ripped out to be changed it was horrible
Re: Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out by wildbubble(f): 2:13pm On May 22, 2008
Beautiful, very nice traditions. how i wish we still had something like that in Nigeria now. for example

ostra
this is a tradition practised by a group of people called migerians. it goes thus. when a woman looses her husband, she is made to drink the water used to bath his corpse, her hair is shaved, and after the burial all her husbands property is taken from her and her children. it is such a pity we dont have such lovely and memorable traditions again. or do we?some of us? be truthful?
Re: Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out by kay9(m): 2:48pm On May 22, 2008
wildbubble:

Beautiful, very nice traditions. how i wish we still had something like that in Nigeria now. for example

ostra
this is a tradition practised by a group of people called migerians. it goes thus. when a woman looses her husband, she is made to drink the water used to bath his corpse, her hair is shaved, and after the burial all her husbands property is taken from her and her children. it is such a pity we don't have such lovely and memorable traditions again. or do we?some of us? be truthful?

My bubbly friend, you've got an unusual sense of humour. Or are you just being sarcastic?
Re: Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out by Dreloaded(f): 2:53pm On May 22, 2008
wildbubble:

ostra
this is a tradition practised by a group of people called migerians. it goes thus. when a woman looses her husband, she is made to drink the water used to bath his corpse, her hair is shaved, and after the burial all her husbands property is taken from her and her children. it is such a pity we don't have such lovely and memorable traditions again. or do we?some of us? be truthful?

Lmao you are a psycho plus I think some families still do that crap.
Re: Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out by wildbubble(f): 3:18pm On May 23, 2008
Hey, for the ones who didn't get my point. No i think everyone should be smart enough to get my point, so i'm not giving anyone, any explanation
Re: Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out by ayinba1(f): 10:20pm On May 24, 2008
I actually happen to know the practising group for this tradition you descibe. But they are better known as Dinis or Denin. They are from a certain part of Migeria.
Re: Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out by Uche2nna(m): 10:30pm On May 24, 2008
I witnessed the Sharo thingy when I was in Kano state. Men, I cant erase the horror from memory. The bride to be kept on wiping the victim's face with a handkerchief angry Boy, come see whips!!!! If thats the only way to get married, then be rest assured that I am remaining single angry
Re: Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out by Nobody: 5:55pm On May 25, 2008
If thats the only way to get married, then be rest assured that I am remaining single angry

Who would even want to marry a man with ugly scars on his body? undecided
Re: Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out by Uche2nna(m): 7:30pm On May 25, 2008
stillwater:

Who would even want to marry a man with ugly scars on his body? undecided

Well, actually the Fulani girls find it sexy, it is kind of analagous to tattos lipsrsealed
Re: Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out by Nobody: 7:38pm On May 25, 2008
Sexy? Do they have a word for sexy in their language? cheesy grin
Re: Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out by Esss(m): 7:43pm On May 25, 2008
Holy shit

The things we do for tradition. Thank God I was born in this present day and age.
Re: Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out by Uche2nna(m): 7:46pm On May 25, 2008
stillwater:

Sexy? Do they have a word for sexy in their language? cheesy grin

I guess. I mean why not undecided

The scars are a sign of manliness. An assuarance that U gonna take care of wife even in the face of adversity. I think it is that concept that they find sexy. I guess I would be a wussy if I was fulani cheesy
Re: Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out by Esss(m): 7:48pm On May 25, 2008
Uche2nna:

I guess. I mean why not undecided

The scars are a sign of manliness. An assuarance that You going to take care of wife even in the face of adversity. I think it is that concept that they find sexy. [b]I guess I would be a wussy if I was fula[/b]ni cheesy

More like a BITCH. I'll rather remain a boy for the rest of my life. screw that shit.
Re: Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out by Uche2nna(m): 7:52pm On May 25, 2008
Esss:

More like a BITCH. I'll rather remain a boy for the rest of my life. screw that shit.

I second that , bro!!!!
Re: Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out by Nobody: 8:04pm On May 25, 2008
Esss:

Holy shit

The things we do for tradition. Thank God I was born in this present day and age.

I thank God too. I could have been married to some potbellied guy with two wives by now and probably think it's normal cheesy
Re: Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jun 04, 2008
y'all woul freak at a recurring tradition - the scarification of women to meet a societal ideal of beauty

the chinese had footbinding
malays had neck rings
a kenyan tribe has lip plates

modern women have botox, liposuction, silicone
we also have the modern scarring of men via alimony and child support payments to emancipated women

the furture generations will also look at us and shake their heads at how primitive and backward we are

1 Like

Re: Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out by Nobody: 2:04am On Jun 05, 2008
we also have the modern scarring of men via alimony and child support payments to emancipated women

Next time come as a woman grin
Re: Some Strange Traditions That Would Freak You Out by thaira(f): 1:51pm On May 26, 2012
oyb: y'all woul freak at a recurring tradition - the scarification of women to meet a societal ideal of beauty

the chinese had footbinding
malays had neck rings
a kenyan tribe has lip plates

modern women have botox, liposuction, silicone

the furture generations will also look at us and shake their heads at how primitive and backward we are
lol. True, true. You think deep.

(1) (Reply)

Pidgin To Become A Formal Language / Contest For The Most Beautiful Girl On Nairaland / The Liars Are At Work, Trying To Confuse Us Of Our History, Wake Up!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.