Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,034 members, 7,863,700 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 12:27 AM

Can You Be Dishonest To Save Your Job? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can You Be Dishonest To Save Your Job? (760 Views)

9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job / 4 Better Ways To Answer "Why Are You Leaving Your Job?" / The 10 Most Dishonest Professions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Be Dishonest To Save Your Job? by Nobody: 9:06am On Mar 12, 2008
If a superior Officer asks you to do something illegal, hich could come to hunt you in the distant future, Would you do it to save your job or would you refuse based on principle and face the risk of losing your job.
Re: Can You Be Dishonest To Save Your Job? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Mar 12, 2008
I'd try to find a way to make sure there is a record of his request - eg email - sir pls confirm that you said i should do so and so -

as to principles, in my experience, there are no principles in the workplace( particularly corporate nigeria) . the only principle the people on top( whose actions dicatate the moral direction of the company and its employees) is maximised profit/returns.
Re: Can You Be Dishonest To Save Your Job? by Nobody: 4:36pm On Mar 12, 2008
Thanks, OYB but i ant to disagree with you a bit. Whereever you work, you should have some principles, some lines you cant cross, not because of morality but because someday if you are asked to defend those actions, you may not be able too
Re: Can You Be Dishonest To Save Your Job? by JEWELoak(m): 4:49pm On Mar 12, 2008
hello Aisha u should know every religion preaches godliness and based on that and personal conviction i will say the truth, but i will not involve my self in the first place. take care of u
Re: Can You Be Dishonest To Save Your Job? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Mar 12, 2008
this is the issue - oga says i must give the contract to his guy. i know his guy cannot execute the contract. i also know that i have not got another job waiting outside, and it is the same oga who will have to write the reference if i do. so i write oga a mail/memo.pls confirm that so and so. . .so there is a RECORD of my objection. but this is the long a short of it. i am more easily replaced than oga, who is simply doing what his ogas in the same company are doing. damned if you do, damned if you don't  sad .

the problem with rocking the boat is that people start to set for you. its so easy - you come in late - query. so many things that are normally overlooked can become grounds for dismissal. its a minefield unless you know exactly what your employer stands for. not waht they claim to stand for. i know all the grammer we blow in my company about no nepotism, etc, but contracts go to the director's cronies, family, etc.its peeps with ties that advance. . . sad

(1) (Reply)

Dangote Vancies / Vacancies Vacancies Vacancies / Make 6000naira For Five Working Days A Week Doing Part Time Jobs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.