Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,906 members, 7,821,145 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:58 AM

Ask An African-american A Question - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ask An African-american A Question (20294 Views)

Eight Bad Sides Of An African Man You Probably Don't Know / I Hate Being An African American Woman / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Arnold1(m): 3:09am On Apr 13, 2008
Sugarbelly,

That's a really nice picture you have there.

Oh yes, and Shaniqua is NOT an African name. And no, it does NOT mean Princess of the Sun. Stop stringing letters together

and forming names and pinning them on poor old Africa. If you want an African name that badly then abeg tap the nearest Nigerian, Ghanaian, etc to

help you out.

Haha, Shaniqua indeed grin grin
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Eliza704: 3:47am On Apr 13, 2008
Sugar or what ever your name is, what gives you the idea that i am lazy, uneducated, or that i blame the white man for problems some african americans have? Are you out of your mind? Here is my question to you, do you know any african americans? Have you actually sat down and talked to one rather than making sweeping generalizations? I have met some nasty nigerians but do i have the right to assume all of you are the same? A friend of mine from east africa told me i shouldnt deal with nigerians at all because they are all corrupt. To me that wasnt fair for him to say. How can he say that, he doesnt know every single nigerian. Any way, my problem is i came to this site wanting to know things that i dont already know. What do i find when i get here? People taking their precious time to put down african americans. Something i would expect from ignorant people, not people i thought would have a little more class than that. As for proving any thing to you my dear, I am 27 years old.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Eliza704: 4:09am On Apr 13, 2008
As i was saying, if i was nineteen again i would continue to argue this crap for ever. Sorry i dont have the time. I have a business to run, family to take care of and a home to maintain. You know all the things some of you say we dont do, Im going to say this no matter what the out come. I wouldnt dare talk about some one elses country and culture, unless my own was perfect. Even still, i dont have the right. My family has worked too hard for what we have to be placed in that group you call lazy, uneducated, crap. If you want to know answers to some of these questions i guess you would have to ask those to whom they apply. I love my people, american or otherwise, but if they dont care to make their lives better by getting an education and or working hard, why should i? I have a good life, so you have to ask the ones that have those so called serious problems. If you do, try to talk to them like human beings and not like you are superior. So not true. Good luck with that. Have a nice day.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Eliza704: 4:34am On Apr 13, 2008
Oh and i assume you were not talking to me about the name shaniqua or whatever. No one in my family has those ghetto names so i cant tell u the meaning. As to people blaming these names on poor africa. Tell them to throw darts at a map, im sure they will find a suitable name. Tanzania, kamina, niamey, nairobi, yalinga.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by bawomolo(m): 6:27am On Apr 13, 2008
sugabelly, come give me some sugar. grin grin

why are nigerians always comparing themselves to black americans? why are you trying to compete?

compete with u, and since when. nigerians have bigger domestic issues to be dealing with than competing with african americans.

and why are nigerians so focused on status?

socioeconomic status means a whole lot in life, an engineer has more status than a plumber regardless of whether they make more or not. u'd be surprised the avenus that can be opened with having status. making it without a college degree in a competitive job market is an exception and not a norm. something some african americans don't seem to understand.

george washington carver was one of the best botanist but never went to college for it.
he was just blessed with the gift of understanding plants/flowers.

how many people sabi book pass george washington carver. i hope u don't think we nigerians are mean people sad sad
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Eliza704: 12:03pm On Apr 13, 2008
I dont think u guys are mean. There are people in every country that think they are better than some one else. It will always be like that until the end of time. I never really get to upset with things said here, because i know who i am and what i am. I know none of the garbage applies to me, so no need for me to continue in this thread. I left it once before, i must have been nuts to come back in here. Any way with all that said, no u guys are not mean. U have ur opinions like every one else. Im gone, If any one has any questions for me feel free cm_rodriguez2006@yahoo.com good day!
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by mamaput(f): 1:12pm On Apr 13, 2008
shaqeeqah
shanaik
shareekah
shariqah
all these names are arab names.
shaniqua has no real origen but i gess its one of those wannabe african names but its not
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Eliza704: 4:40pm On Apr 13, 2008
Well i dont know, my mother didnt give one of those names lol. Sorry in my family there no, shaniqua, laqwesha, shenaynay, tequila, lacrisha or karesha. I dont know what happened with all those crazy names but it will never happen in my family. I can go on and on with those names but i cant spell them, i pity the kids. Theres a few girls with the name around here ashanti or ashante, shani, something like that i dont know.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by girl22(f): 5:52pm On Apr 13, 2008
socioeconomic status means a whole lot in life, an engineer has more status than a plumber regardless of whether they make more or not. u'd be surprised the avenus that can be opened with having status. making it without a college degree in a competitive job market is an exception and not a norm. something some african americans don't seem to understand.

some people love plumbing. could you imgaine the world with no plumbers? plumbers are a neccessity. when something broke and there were no plumbers to fix it you would be in big trouble right? the plumber is just as a important as as the engineer.
although the engineer job may be harder.

life is not about status. it is about living and fufilling your life's purpose. if someone loves to teach children and decides to teach children and only makes 25,000 a year. that's fine because they are doing something they love and they are making a difference in young minds. we need teachers to cultivate young minds. they are a very important part of our society.
one should not become an engineer or a doctor because of the money. they should become an engineer because that is something they want to do.

u'd be surprised the avenus that can be opened with having status
when you are fufilling your life's purpose avenues will automatically open up because you are doing what you are born to do.

i love biology/physics. i am not majoring in it for money and status. i am majoring in it because it is my passion and something i enjoy doing. i plan to start making organic natural product people can use without synthetic chemicals. i want to make a difference . my status is just as important as the plumber's is. because when something breaks i need him/her. and people also need products to use on their bodies.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by girl22(f): 7:29pm On Apr 13, 2008
friend of mine from east africa told me i shouldnt deal with nigerians at all because they are all corrupt. To me that wasnt fair for him to say. How can he say that, he doesnt know every single nigerian. Any way, my problem is i came to this site wanting to know things that i don't already know. What do i find when i get here? People taking their precious time to put down african americans.

exactly. alot of nigerians run scams such as credit catrd scams,fraud,email scams,marrry women only for greencards,known to beat women,sexists toward women,cab drivers and drug dealers,arrogant.

but there are also nigerians who very genuine and educated.
so why would i say all nigerians run scams when they are also good nigerians?

so these stupid generalizations about african americans are ignorant and childish.
all african americans aren't lazy,uneducated with bad attitudes.

its also ungratfeul to diss african americans. if it weren't for african americans fighting for their rights to be educated,to read or right you would not be able to do the same. it because of our fight you could do so.
its because of us you can go to any hotel, or restaurant you want.
its because of us you can marry a white woman/man without getting killed.
its because of us you could start a business without it getting burned down.
is because of us you can come to america to get the opportunities you have.

we were the ones who protested so you could get these so called wonderful opportunities us african americans supposedly dont value.

you're here because of us not the other way around.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by girl22(f): 8:33pm On Apr 13, 2008
Nigerian men know this, and they set high standard for themselves accordingly. A lot of African American men on the other hand do not even TRY. They are lazy, have no future ambition, and cannot be coaxed or cajoled into working hard. In other words, they are a disgrace. I don't blame any Nigerian girl that dumps one.

there are just as many hardworking african americans as there are nigerians. there are just as many lazy nigerians as there are african americans. just like white people.  they are just as many lazy latinos and asians. i used to believe the stereotype of the hardworking asian until i started coming into contact with more asians. alot of them were lazy also.
the laziest person in my calculus class is a white girl who is always sleep and never does her work.

i have attended classes with some of the most articulate african americans and some of the most inarticulate african americans.

could it be that you just don't want to see the positive african americans? because you need someone to look down upon to make you feel better about yourself.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by bawomolo(m): 10:39pm On Apr 13, 2008
girl22:

some people love plumbing. could you imgaine the world with no plumbers? plumbers are a neccessity. when something broke and there were no plumbers to fix it you would be in big trouble right? the plumber is just as a important as as the engineer.
although the engineer job may be harder.

plumbing doesn't take as much skill or expertise as engineering. they are needed but plumbing in some aspects is considered semi-skilled labor. african americans should be targetting skilled labor rather than settling for less.

life is not about status. it is about living and fufilling your life's purpose.

lets see how u can fulfill your life living in poverty. be realistic. socioeconomic status means a lot. u think folks in the hood are fulfilling their life's purpose??

[b]when you are fufilling your life's purpose avenues will automatically open up because you are doing what you are born to do.

lol, how are u sure it would automically open

[b]i love biology/physics. i am not majoring in it for money and status. i am majoring in it because it is my passion and something i enjoy doing. i plan to start making organic natural product people can use without synthetic chemicals.

wow that's impressive, where were u when i needed help for physics. what college do u go to by the way. i have a question though, why did u go to college to study biology/physics if u didn't think college was important.

its also ungratfeul to diss african americans. if it weren't for african americans fighting for their rights to be educated,to read or right you would not be able to do the same.

this is wrong, there were schools in africa way before the civil rights movement. lots of africans studies abroad before the civil rights movement. have u heard of guys named samuel ajayi crowther, herbert macaulay, nnamndi azikwe. it's ludacris to think we africans owe u anything .we struggled too.

you're here because of us not the other way around.

umm no. we are here partly because of your struggle and our struggle.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by girl22(f): 11:53pm On Apr 13, 2008
wow that's impressive, where were u when i needed help for physics. what college do u go to by the way. i have a question though, why did u go to college to study biology/physics if u didn't think college was important.

no you are misunderstanding me. i said everyone doesn't have to go to college to be successful. i choose to go to college because how else am i going to learn about biology/physics?

and i attend Southwestern Illinois College
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by bawomolo(m): 1:11am On Apr 14, 2008
no you are misunderstanding me. i said everyone doesn't have to go to college to be successful. i choose to go to college because how else am i going to learn about biology/physics?

i disagree, it's hard to be sucessful these day and age without a degree from a technical school, university, community college or some form of certification.  suceeding with just an HS diploma is the exception and not the norm. can't u study biology/physics by just going to your local library  grin grin. so what do u think about children out of wedlock. what's ur view on hip hop.

and i attend Southwestern Illinois College

word?? i attend university of illinois at chicago.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Dreloaded(f): 1:15am On Apr 14, 2008
Yea why not read up Bio/Physics from the various texts in the library after all why do you need the MAN to teach you it grin
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by BTT(m): 6:39pm On Apr 14, 2008
I'm half Ghanian half Nigerian, humourously, a total African.

Our AA brothers are still trying to grasp the culture shock of their 'new' environment. They will get there. But bcs the white race is not giving the right chance, its not going to be easy. But my people will get there.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by girl22(f): 8:36pm On Apr 14, 2008
word?? i attend university of illinois at chicago

and my mom wants me to go there so badly
what is your major?
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by girl22(f): 8:36pm On Apr 14, 2008
Yea why not read up Bio/Physics from the various texts in the library after all why do you need the MAN to teach you it

LOL
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Tonim(f): 8:38am On Apr 15, 2008
BTT:

I'm half Ghanian half Nigerian, humourously, a total African.

Our AA brothers are still trying to grasp the culture shock of their 'new' environment. They will get there. But bcs the white race is not giving the right chance, its not going to be easy. But my people will get there.

LOL
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by bawomolo(m): 7:52pm On Apr 15, 2008
and my mom wants me to go there so badly
what is your major?

my major is mechanical engineering, don't 4get to answer my question
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by girl22(f): 1:55am On Apr 16, 2008
bamowolo,

because its easier to just sit and intake the info in rather than doing extensive research. grin

so what do u think about children out of wedlock. what's your view on hip hop.

children out of wedlock destroys the family unit. divorce does also but usually if the child came after marraige the father might stick around. if people would learn the biorythm method unwanted pregnanacy would be unecessary.

hip hop is a great music genre but the lyics are trash. rappers bragging about being felons and having records. too much booty shaking and whatnot.
i like old school rap better because the content was better.

souljah boy up in this ho,watch me lean and watch and roll, superman that ho now watch me you'll grin grin grin

what the hell does you'll mean?
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by bawomolo(m): 2:13am On Apr 16, 2008
lmao, it's not my fault my destiny in life isn't to become a lab rat. all that theoretical bwaha with no real value to man  cool cool

hip hop is a great music genre but the lyics are trash. rappers bragging about being felons and having records. too much booty shaking and whatnot.

stop hating, nothing bad about a** shaking music. u just jealous cuz u have nothing in the truck tongue tongue
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Blyss: 1:22am On Jul 02, 2012
Hero: You're an obvious ignoramus, not worth wasting time on--- though today a have a bit of time to burn, so I'll bless you with an answer.

Go to this link ( https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-40332.0.html ) and you'll see more powerful dynamic African-American fortune 500 and more company reps than you'd ever imagine existed. Despite what you may think son, over 76% of the African-American population are middle and upper class citizens of the US. Don't let the media's perception of us fool you, in the same way that it attempts to fool us into thinking negatively of Africa and African 24/7.

Once again you are showing your blatant ignorance. Motivational speaking actually does take an extreme amount of talent and world experience in social behavior, as well as many other fields. If it truly took no talent then any and everyone would be doing it, because of the fact of that it pay extremely well. Though that isn't the case, in that to actually be an effective motivator in many areas of life you actual do need to know what the hell you're doing and achieve results and not everyone has that talent.

Detroit is in the position it's in for the same reasons that 85% white Appalachian region is in the same predicament if not worst, and many African nation are in the poor predicaments in which they are in. Brain Drain, Job flight and in turn extremely poor tax return to fund the area. The Automobile, shipping, meat packaging and grain hauling markets in which gave birth to the city and lead to tons of blacks to flood into the city over the decades from the crop-sharing farms of the south have all gone bust, and in turn both the black and the white middle and upper class fled the city to more prosperous locations around the nation.

Left behind was majorly the black poor, to a lesser extent the white poor, and in turn the city simply crumbled under share lack of tax funds being pumped into it by its dwindiling upper and middle class citizens. With faltering industrial and shipping importance and shrinking population, the State and Federal governments both cut allocated funds to the city as well over the years--- worsening the problem.

The City can easily be regenerated if a steady flow of talented middle and upper class citizens from around the nation began trickling back into the city, bringing with them increasing job opportunities, and with increased number of jobs come increased tax funds in which can be put toward restructuring the city. Detroit didn't become like it is overnight, but rather as an effect of an over 2 1/2 decade long drop in the cities industrial foundation in which it was birth on. These same problems have occurred within cities all throughout the Great Lake region.

Genius. See how well this dude cut and diced that dude up so effortlessly, without even once badmouthing Nigerians or Africans as a whole, he didn't put the blame on whitey or attack the one who was clearly trying to instigate a negative response. Hero was a very knowledgeable man, and classy too. I love reading his stuff.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by somalia1: 9:06am On Sep 08, 2012
i see african americans have evolved physically into better looking humans than their african counter parts in the continent.

non the less you have not fully evolved into what i would call a human being. but you are making progress.

Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Blyss: 2:02am On Sep 09, 2012
somalia1: i see african americans have evolved physically into better looking humans than their african counter parts in the continent.

non the less you have not fully evolved into what i would call a human being. but you are making progress.

Who's this fruitcake?
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by somalia1: 7:53am On Sep 09, 2012
Blyss:

Who's this fruitcake?

Am one of the many races who took advantage of negroid stuppppidity and used ur people as slaves. am SOMALI.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 29, 2012
Hero is Nigerian; Old news to some probably but I found it funny.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Blyss: 11:32pm On Nov 29, 2012
H-Star89:
Hero is Nigerian; Old news to some probably but I found it funny.

LOL @ Hero being Nigerian. I'm Hero, and the closes to a Nigerian I am, is my Nigerian-American wife and about 17 generations removed from my last direct African ancester who was of Igbo descent. cheesy I'm of German, Scottish and Cherokee descent, other than West African descent in which hails from the Igbo ethnic group, in which first arrived here in the US in about 1616. So in other words I'm just about as Black-American as a Black-American can get.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Blyss: 11:38pm On Nov 29, 2012
somalia1:

Am one of the many races who took advantage of negroid stuppppidity and used ur people as slaves. am SOMALI.

LOL, you people are useless.
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Nobody: 1:56am On Nov 30, 2012
Blyss:

LOL @ Hero being Nigerian. I'm Hero, and the closes to a Nigerian I am, is my Nigerian-American wife and about 17 generations removed from my last direct African ancester who was of Igbo descent. cheesy I'm of German, Scottish and Cherokee descent, other than West African descent in which hails from the Igbo ethnic group, in which first arrived here in the US in about 1616. So in other words I'm just about as Black-American as a Black-American can get.

Dude I saw your post on another site where flat out said you were Nigerian, not African-American. undecided ...Why lie? You will hardly ever see any AAs pretending to be any other black people, so why pretend to be them?

1 Like

Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Blyss: 10:07pm On Nov 30, 2012
H-Star89:

Dude I saw your post on another site where flat out said you were Nigerian, not African-American. undecided ...Why lie? You will hardly ever see any AAs pretending to be any other black people, so why pretend to be them?

LOL, you're either a bold faced liar or simply have me mixed up with someone else. I've been on here a long time, and my ethnicity is no secret to those who know me around here, though you're more than welcome to pull up and post that comment of me stating that I'm Nigerian if you are certain that I've stated so. Good Luck with that. cheesy
Re: Ask An African-american A Question by Nobody: 2:01am On Dec 01, 2012
Blyss:

LOL, you're either a bold faced liar or simply have me mixed up with someone else. I've been on here a long time, and my ethnicity is no secret to those who know me around here, though you're more than welcome to pull up and post that comment of me stating that I'm Nigerian if you are certain that I've stated so. Good Luck with that. cheesy

If I come across it again, I will wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Traditional Wedding Made In Idoma-land, Benue State, Central Nigeria / Oba Of Ikeja Is Dead: Computer Village and Other Markets Shut Down! / Current Ibo (delta Ibo/anambra) Names For Baby Boys.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.