Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,328 members, 7,846,455 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 04:33 PM

Whats The Essence And The Meaning Of The National Honours Given To The S. Eagles - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Whats The Essence And The Meaning Of The National Honours Given To The S. Eagles (714 Views)

List Of Money Given To Sports Ambassadors Today By Buhari / Checkout The Award Given To The Man of The Match ( Hilarious Photo) / National Honours, Land & Cash For Keshi & Eagles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Whats The Essence And The Meaning Of The National Honours Given To The S. Eagles by matoyeh(m): 12:28pm On Feb 13, 2013
CASH GIFT,PLOTS OF LAND,NATIONAL HONOURS FOR EAGLES
Posted: Feb 13, 2013

Members of the victorious Super Eagles who Sunday night in South Africa ended Nigeria’s 19 year wait for another African Cup of Nations trophy were last night showered with cash gifts,plots of land and national honours by President Goodluck Jonathan at a grand reception in honour of the team held at the Banquet hall at Aso Villa in Abuja.

Each of the 23 players and the four assistant coaches got a cash gift of N5m while the team's head coach,Stephen Keshi was given N10m.The remaining backroom staff like the medical crew,media officer,curator,secretary and camp coordinator got N2M each.

Both the players and officials were also given plots of land in Abuja in addition to national honours ranging from Commander of the Order of the Niger (CON) to Member of the Order of Niger (MON).

Keshi got the highest honour on the night as he was conferred with the Commander of the Order of the Niger (CON) while his assistants-Sylvanus Okpalla,Ike Shorunmu,Daniel Amokachi and Valerie Houandinou as well as Eagles captain,Yobo were conferred with the Officer of the Order of the Niger (OON).The remaining 22 players were conferred with the Member of the Order of Niger (MON).

Unlike in previous awards,each of the awardees got the documents for the land as well as the national honours.Complete Sports could not confirm if the cash was also paid to the players last night before going to the press.

In his speech,President Jonathan thanked the Eagles for bringing honour to Nigeria.

Thanking you all for bring the cup home. These set of boys and the technical crew have made us proud. We have the golden family that will receive and congratulate you for winning the 29th edition of the Nations Cup. You could be the Moses or the Musa of the team.

''I thank coach Stephen Keshi and all members of the team who have worked very hard and played with great focus, dedication, artistry and patriotism to make Nigeria the proud champions of Africa once again after 19 years of setbacks in the competition.

''I also want to commend the Minister of Sports, Mr. Bolaji Abdullahi, the Chairman and members of the Nigerian Football Federation and all others who have contributed to the astonishing transformation of the Super Eagles from underdogs to gallant winners and glorious soccer champions of the African continent'',said the president who wants all Nigerians to learn from the success of the team.

''I believe that the team’s amazing transformation from rank outsiders to champions is a clear manifestation of the even greater successes the country can achieve in all other fields of human endeavour if all Nigerians come together and devote their immense collective energies and resources to supporting the implementation of his my administration’s agenda for national transformation.

As we celebrates this remarkable triumph in South Africa, I want to urge you all to imbibe the positive lessons of the Super Eagles’ success because the fulfillment of the country’s immense potentials for greatness will be more speedily attained if more Nigerians resolve to emulate the team’s exemplary unity of purpose, dedication, commitment and devotion to service of the nation.

''I believe that having conquered Africa, the new Super Eagles can go on to achieve even greater glory at the World Cup in Brazil next year and I assure the team that it will receive every necessary support and encouragement from the Federal Government for that next national assignment''. The Eagles had earlier in the day arrived back to a heroes welcome by adoring crowds.

Hundreds welcomed the team back at the airport in Abuja before an ceremony later in the afternoon at the National Stadium.

Along the road from the airport toward the city, school children dressed in their uniforms waited for the team convoy and waved Nigerian flags.

(1) (Reply)

Oscar Pistorius 'shoots Girlfriend' - Local Media / Christian Benteke Ready For Arsenal? / Win N1000 Airtime!!!! Predict Manchester United Vs Chelsea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.