Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,465 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:44 PM

Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen (24558 Views)

XENOPHOBIC ATTACK: South African Policemen Smile At A Burning Victim (PHOTO) / Nigerian Journalists Struggle For Fried Chicken At Inec Office (Photo) / Nigerian Journalists Win CNN/MultiChoice Awards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by Toktee(m): 8:28am On Feb 14, 2013
I D MISS GENERAL ABACHA
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by naptu2: 8:28am On Feb 14, 2013
[size=14pt]“I will shoot you! Do you think you are special?”: Two Nigerian journalists brutalised by South African police[/size]

Posted By TheScoop on February 13, 2013

Tweet

Pin It

by Dare Lawal

On the day the Super Eagles of Nigeria left South Africa and arrived Nigeria for their well deserved reception, two Nigerian journalists covering the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) were “kicked, dragged on the ground, threatened with cocked guns and forcibly detained for two hours” by officers of the South African police in Johannesburg while on their way to cover the departure of the victorious Super Eagles team.

The two correspondents, Debo Oshudun of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) for Central and Southern Africa and John Joshua Akanji, a Deputy Editor of The Sun Newspapers were on their way to the departure louge when suddenly about 20 fully armed police officers surrounded them as they alighted from the taxi which they boarded. The officers threatened to shoot them after they insisted that they were journalists.

“I thank God we are still alive because we could have been shot, knowing the type of (extra-) judicial killings in South Africa. I have never been in that situation in my life. I was dragged on the floor, kicked and brutalised. I and John Joshua-Akanji were disposed of our phones, my keys and we couldn’t contact anybody. We were detained for two hours and I was really traumatised throughout the time the police dealt with us and still imagining it up till now.

“The police claimed that they stopped our car because the taxi we were in had a number plate with two different characters. Immediately they stopped us they removed the number plate. They lied that they had been trailing us,” Oshundun told SportingLife in an interview on Tuesday afternoon.

Also speaking, The Sun Newspaper Deputy Editor, Joshua-Akanji said:

“I was in a trance. I thought I was acting out a movie. I never thought it was for real. I have never seen a thing like this in all my life. But I am happy to be alive to tell the story”, the visibly shaken journalist disclosed. 20 policemen, who had already cocked their guns and pointed them to my head and my colleague Oshundun’s, were shouting ‘I will shoot you, I will shoot you. Who are you? Do you think you are special? I will blast your brains off’”, Joshua-Akanji revealed.

South African police are notorious for their high-handedness. Last year, several South African mine workers were killed by the police during a protest in Marikana, a case which caught worldwide attention.

The Nigerian duo were later apologised to by Lieutenant Colonel M. F. Tshabalala station commander, Sandringham Command South African Police Service, SAPS, after the intervention of the Nigerian Consulate in Johannesburg.

The journalists were however full of commendation for their South African cab driver, Hope. They told Sporting Life that Hope rose to their defence following the police brutality. ”These men are responsible journalists that have come here to cover the AFCON. They are like brothers to me. I ate and dinned with them. They have been wonderful to me as a South African. Why are you treating them this way? It’s not fair! it’s not fair!”, Hope is said to have cried out while the policemen were brutalising the journalists.

http://www.thescoopng.com/i-will-shoot-you-do-you-think-you-are-special-two-nigerian-journalists-brutalised-by-south-african-police/
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by tonididdy(m): 8:29am On Feb 14, 2013
Dondav:
What da fuq are u talking about?... They are murdering Nigerians everyday and you're here spewing out trash!
guy go preach for boko haram camp...those journalist probably were stamping on the wrong ground
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by Capnd143(m): 8:29am On Feb 14, 2013
Dondav: The reason why they hate is because they lack Normal sense of Reasoning! The aparthied has severly damaged their sense of Reasoning. They lack required mode of reasoning to be Human. They raped someone last night in my area And they murder people for no damn reason. They don't value life at all. They deserve to be separated from humans
now, thats the spirit! Fuc.Kk SA! Bleep Diplomacy! FG Needs to push this beyond lines! Attacking the jornalist who are the voice of the people means attacking the whole nigerian nation!!! , it means waging a silent war against our dear nation! If it means fighting back with military actions then let it be! DOWN to SA
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by Nobody: 8:30am On Feb 14, 2013
andrewza:

We don't see you has "IMPERIALIST IN THE MAKING" there are no nigerian copertions or buissness in SA we have never seen any milltary action from you down here or any thing to show for your so called power.

You could try but such a wide and open law suite would fail. Best is to press charges on the cops who did the assualt. You could win illeagal dention, discrimtion, assualt, intmdation.
if it were abachas regime, you'd go get a bomb shelter..
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by Toktee(m): 8:32am On Feb 14, 2013
Nigeria has become a giant slave in africa,eg ghana,togo,benin republic,south africa,libya,egyt and the host of others,is a pity.
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by HoneyPrincess(f): 8:32am On Feb 14, 2013
South Africans are most wicked pple in Africa na bad belly dey worry dem, dey hate Nigerians 4 nothing
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by tonididdy(m): 8:34am On Feb 14, 2013
tonididdy: guy go preach for boko haram camp...those journalist probably were stamping on the wrong ground
that being said it all bois down to the fact that thex dislike us common-manly.i dunno about their government
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by OluEmmaAss: 8:35am On Feb 14, 2013
What will d govt do about this?
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by kgr28(m): 8:39am On Feb 14, 2013
Nigerians want to be on top, gave themselves big brother title, arrogant, hard to convince, too loud, think they knw shyt. The sooner you get the fvck out of SA the better...and yr shyt hole nigeria did not do fvck all for SA. You can rant all you want about SA the fact is you are not welcomed in SA...If SA is that Bad stop moaning and get the fvck out simple. There Ghanians, Malawians, Congolese and others and they never get harrassed. There is jst something about nigerians behaviour and attitude that pisses every one in the world. ARROGENCE is your middle names!!
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by tonididdy(m): 8:41am On Feb 14, 2013
Dondav:
How about you go to SA and see for yourself?
if u have fear and problem in SA brother come back home or do you naija bois there wear a tatoo bearing Nigeria on your forehead.be humble in another mans land
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by vanstanzy(m): 8:42am On Feb 14, 2013
Why am i not surprised? Its a well known fact that the South Africans have never liked and have always envied the Nigerians.
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by basty: 8:42am On Feb 14, 2013
GOD WILL DESTROY THE LIKES OF IBRAHIM BABANGIDA THAT PUT US INTO ECONOMIC SLAVERY WHERE NIGERIANS ARE SCARTERED ACROSS THE WORLD SCANVAGING AND TOILING EFFORTLESSLY. AMEN
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by DICKtator: 8:45am On Feb 14, 2013
WHy won't they treat the Journalist that way? Aint they jealous that we won the AFCON Cup? Isn't it obvious?
grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by Nobody: 8:45am On Feb 14, 2013
omo_to_dun:
Instead of insulting the poster, you should have explained why he was wrong instead of praying for him to die. God is not an assassin. Prayers are not meant to be used to ruin other people's lives.

As much as his words were hurtful, they were true. I'd rather suffer injustice in the hands of a South African police than a Nigerian Police.

Have you ever been to south Africa, cos if you have, you"d probably have seen the impudence with which these warped south african police treath Nigerians. If you wish to suffer in their hands, its your decision and I respect that! Truth is, Nigerian Ambassadors have a lot to do, the treatment of our citizen's is a reflection of their commitment....
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by vanstanzy(m): 8:47am On Feb 14, 2013
Jetland: Doz people really hate 9aija eeh.

Not only hate, but ENVY and JEALOUSY! fv*cking SA b!7ches angry

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by jidewin(m): 8:47am On Feb 14, 2013
kgr28: Nigerians want to be on top, gave themselves big brother title, arrogant, hard to convince, too loud, think they knw shyt. The sooner you get the fvck out of SA the better...and yr shyt hole nigeria did not do fvck all for SA. You can rant all you want about SA the fact is you are not welcomed in SA...If SA is that Bad stop moaning and get the fvck out simple.
Now listen and listen real good.you and your type are no f.ucko to tell anyonethey're not welcome.SA originally belongs to khoi khois and you and your types are nothing more than f.ukn migrants like everybody else.if you want your history,I'll be more than glad to give it to you LIVE, fuc.kn kwerekweres.
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by BankuTilapia: 8:48am On Feb 14, 2013
Typical nigerian bashing, oh every1 hate us, deh envy us cus we r da giant of Africa, oh we helped dem during apartheid grin grin cheesy grin............blah blah blah grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by jidewin(m): 8:53am On Feb 14, 2013
Guys,tune here and read about this hedonistics xenophobes who dare call other foreigners names,laying claims to what is not originally theirs.www.saveyourheritage.com/history_of_south_africa.htm
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by kgr28(m): 8:53am On Feb 14, 2013
Dondav:
Shut your $hit hole... F.u.ckn gay. The world doesn't belong to one nation. People will always move in and out different countries. Baboons like you are d sick people driving SA backwards. F.u.ckn R.e.tard.
yeah...move in and out, and I am a f vck retard...if a country is nt suitable for your well being get the fvck out simple... Nigerians just pisses everyone in the world, there s just somethng that people hate about you, you are nt likable people.
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by tonididdy(m): 8:55am On Feb 14, 2013
Banku&Tilapia:
Typical nigerian bashing, oh every1 hate us, deh envy us cus we r da giant of Africa, oh we helped dem during apartheid grin grin cheesy grin............blah blah blah grin
truth is we got no competition.proove us wrong and beat us to something
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by andrewza: 8:58am On Feb 14, 2013
What this that we envey you. For what and what did you really do for the blacks during Aparthied. Only Angola, Nambia and Cuba comtied milltary forces against the Apartyhied war machine. No other country can claimed they helped since all they did was speak.

And a gain envey nigeria. Why because you don't know when to stop making babbies.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by kgr28(m): 8:59am On Feb 14, 2013
Nigerians like to play victim, like to be hated...so we will give what you want...HATING YOU!
Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by tonididdy(m): 8:59am On Feb 14, 2013
why would any reasonable african,leave his african home to another african country...plain stupid to me when us,uk,malaysia,asia,australia,europe dey there.its cheap migration to me.Play big

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by vanstanzy(m): 9:00am On Feb 14, 2013
kgr28: yeah...move in and out, and I am a f vck retard...if a country is nt suitable for your well being get the fvck out simple... Nigerians just pisses everyone in the world, there s just somethng that people hate about you, you are nt likable people.

Do u like the Americans then?? If not, the same reason why people dislike them is the same reason people dislike Nigerians... "POWERFUL and WEALTHY!". grin grin grin tongue tongue tongue

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by vislabraye(m): 9:01am On Feb 14, 2013
Our leaders should learn to protect its citizens outside. If something like this happens in SA, they should find a way to deal with the South Africans in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Journalists Brutalised By South African Policemen by greaterlove(m): 9:03am On Feb 14, 2013
I am blessed to be born a nigerian, I love my country, the problem is that most of us do not know the potential we have, most of us do not see the abundance in human and mineral resources that God has blessed us with. We are a happy people, hardworking, welcoming and gifted. Our hospitality is second to none in africa. When you travel out of this country and you meet young nigerians who with the level of education they got in this country are leading their classes, buisnessmen who are doing so well in countries you never thought you can find a black man.we excel when placed in the right environment, check out our entertainment industry. I love the spirit of my fellow nigerians, its painful that some are using it wrongly thereby giving us a bad name, but its also our duty to celebrate the good in us. I believe so much that if the right infrastructures like steady electricity, good transportation, security etc is in place nigeria will over explode economically because we have it in us. All we need is to change the way we view ourselves, for we are the giant of africa not just by mouth but in every way, we only need to wake up.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Oyegun Takes Tinubu’s Case To Buhari / House Of Representatives Suspends Abdulmumin Jibrin For 180 Legislative Days / Kaduna Train Attack: BBC Describes Terrorists As 'Gang'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.