Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings (24651 Views)

Badluck Met Our Super Eagles, Now They 've Turned To Chickens / Nigeria Now 30th In FIFA World Rankings. / Nigeria Moves 22 Places In Latest Fifa Ranking Now 30th in the World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by jadakiss213(m): 4:15pm On Feb 14, 2013
Symphony007: England will never leave the top 10 or even 5 because they're the most powerfull nation in FIFA..they invented the game of football for crying out loud. But i think nigeria deserves to be higher than 30. It just does'nt make any sense!!
this ur assertion is so wrong.how is England the most powerful nation in FIFa? u really dont know much bou world football.
Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by Nobody: 4:16pm On Feb 14, 2013
Jarus: many people don't know how this works.

FIFA ranking is based on performance over a number of years(don't know exactly, but probably 3 years or 36 months).

The older the month, the lower the weight and the most recent carries more weight. Each month also weighed based on importance of match - more weigh for comptetitive, less for friendlies

So assuming

February 2013 - 36 points
January 2013 - 35 points
December 2012 - 34 point
November 2012 - 33 point

goes on till say
May 2010 - 3 point
April 2010 - 2 point
March 2010 - 1 point

Next month (March 2013), February becomes 35 and March becomes 36, while April 2010 becomes last month (1 point).

Now, Nigeria did not qualify for 2012 ANC and had 0 (or few points if it played and won/drew friendlies) in those months. Mali had points (remember they came 3rd in that tourney).

So if you aggregate those not-too-old good performance, Mali has an edge. Nigeria has good weight in recent performance but may not be enough to neutralize recent poor performances. But the good thing is the value of teh old bad performance reduces with time.

And in any case, I think this current rating was up to January 31st (when we had only played the group matches - 2 draws, 1 win). So it may not include the QF, SF and Final wins (played in February) yet.

So what were the good performances by Montenegro?
Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by agabaI23(m): 4:22pm On Feb 14, 2013
I think the influence of our win will be reflected in the March Ranking because the Feb ranking was based on January performances of the countries. You can agree with me that most of the countries above us now like CV, Mali and Ghana were still doing very well in the competition. We eliminated both Mali and CV in Feb. Ghana was also eliminated in Feb.

2 Likes

Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by Ejine(m): 4:37pm On Feb 14, 2013
tcalc: now lets leave out the insults. your post is inadequate. now u're trying to go here and there to justify your warped way of thinking. it'll be better for u to shut up rather than make ur inadequacies more blatant.

No dear. It is you who needs to permanently shut up, now that you've been shamed.

Where in that particular post you quoted did I say anything about FIFA ranking? Mehn, you're a true dullard, and there's no hiding it.

Please go bury your face in shame for trying to project your poor sense comprehension on others.
Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by ariy(m): 4:37pm On Feb 14, 2013
Hon. Lord:
[color=#990000][/color]Until we learn to always do the right things, we will remain at the botom bellow our lower ties.

How can a country like Nigeria with over 150million citizens not be able to produce 7 different qualified teams to with-stand and represent Nigeria in a tournament? What a shame caused by corruption and zoning of everything including interlect which God has given to some persons to manage others!!!!!!!!

China shold produce 18 teams for Asian Cup and India should also produce 12 teams
Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by Jarus(m): 4:40pm On Feb 14, 2013
Afam4eva:
Is there any logic behind England been higher than portugal in the rankings? Portugal has achieved more than they have.

Check performance over last 1 years (last 10 matches)

England: 5 wins, 4 draws, 1 loss
Portugal: 5 wins, 2 draws, 3 losses

Recent performances carry more weight. It is hardly by history.
Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by Chofa(m): 4:42pm On Feb 14, 2013
yorke1: Damn FIFA with this lastest ranking. What is common Ghana doing ahead of Nigeria(The pride of Africa). Fuuuuuuuuck u FIFA!
AFCON 2008 Ghana -Bronze, AFCON 2010 -Silver,FIFA WORLD CUP 2010(QUARTER-finals) AFCON2012- 4th, AFCON 2013- 4th, they look at how consistent u v bn over the years, Common Ghana? Oga, U lack "Common sense"

1 Like

Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by Jarus(m): 4:44pm On Feb 14, 2013
ROSSIKE:

So what were the good performances by Montenegro?

They have not lost any match since November 2011. That's one and half year without losing a match.
Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by ostinho(m): 4:46pm On Feb 14, 2013
Mali25 ghana19 hhhmmm and naija30 I can't believe this angry
Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by DrKlever(m): 4:48pm On Feb 14, 2013
bigtt76: Well ...two consecutive AFCON bronze medals earned them the points. We missed out of last edition and lost vital points. I guess this explains it all. More matches you play, more points.

then it shouldn't be a monthly ranking but annual or another. This whole thing is crap 2 me
Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by Symphony007: 4:53pm On Feb 14, 2013
jadakiss213: this ur assertion is so wrong.how is England the most powerful nation in FIFa? u really dont know much bou world football.
you do realise that unlike other nation england has a "permanent" seat on the board of FIFA.
Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by ahidjo: 4:53pm On Feb 14, 2013
[b]
agabaI23: I think the influence of our win will be reflected in the March Ranking because the Feb ranking was based on January performances of the countries. You can agree with me that most of the countries above us now like CV, Mali and Ghana were still doing very well in the competition. We eliminated both Mali and CV in Feb. Ghana was also eliminated in Feb.

All games they played in South Africa have been factored in. Every game played by every country till February 13, 2013 were used for the ranking. I will advise Nigerians to learn to read and research. The level of ignorance here is baffling. The criteria for the ranking is there and not meant to favor anybody. One needs to think through the ranking procedures and understand how this works. A lot of folks already knew that Nigeria would be 4th in Africa with 747 points even before the ranking came out today. FIFA makes it possible for anybody to calculate the total points for any country for the month even before the ranking is announced. It is there in the website. The ranking is not by emotions or sentiments. It is by Mathematical calculations that weighs a number of factors including, type of game played (Qualifier, friendly, Continental cup, world cup, etc), whether you win draw or tie. They also compute a lot of averages to arrive at final point for the month. That is how things are scientifically done especially in serious and advanced societies. Winning AFCON does not automatically push Nigeria to first position in Africa. I felt the urge to write this because despite the availabilty of internet resources, most Nigerians always take delight in proudly displaying their ignorance which some people accept as intelligent contribution. [/b]

6 Likes

Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by WORDALIVE: 5:02pm On Feb 14, 2013
gudugudumeje: As Nigeria no get anything good to report beta ranking for other than corruption and abject living standard for its people, clinging to FOOTBALL ranking is anoda sport for spoiling the future of nigeria..... Goodluk to the poor country in bad lucks......
God bless niaja.remember dat men will always eat the fruit of their lips.
Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by DrKlever(m): 5:05pm On Feb 14, 2013
[quote author=PetroDollaz][/quote] petrodolloz or keroseneCedi wat eva u call urself. What are u doing in nairaland? Go 2 ur own country forum nd leave us alone. U always condem anytin 9ja yet u re here. D chickens re nw ur champions or re u sayn its by luck. Fool, go bk 2 ur country wer u wer sent away on exile, i cant remember going 2 any ghana forum let alone insulting them there

1 Like

Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by EdosaGreat(m): 5:28pm On Feb 14, 2013
Hell FIFA! Bleep them all! What are d fuckin criterials they used for d ranking?
Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by EdosaGreat(m): 5:29pm On Feb 14, 2013
Hell FIFA! Bleep them all! What are d fuckin criterials they used for d ranking?
Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by Nobody: 5:32pm On Feb 14, 2013
blank:

Do you know anything about football at all? First do a little research on how FIFA calculate the rankings then you will understand.
Then explain to him since na you know pass.Onovuge abi na onos
Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by Nobody: 5:47pm On Feb 14, 2013
ahidjo: [b]

All games they played in South Africa have been factored in. Every game played by every country till February 13, 2013 were used for the ranking. I will advise Nigerians to learn to read and research. The level of ignorance here is baffling. The criteria for the ranking is there and not meant to favor anybody. One needs to think through the ranking procedures and understand how this works. A lot of folks already knew that Nigeria would be 4th in Africa with 747 points even before the ranking came out today. FIFA makes it possible for anybody to calculate the total points for any country for the month even before the ranking is announced. It is there in the website. The ranking is not by emotions or sentiments. It is by Mathematical calculations that weighs a number of factors including, type of game played (Qualifier, friendly, Continental cup, world cup, etc), whether you win draw or tie. They also compute a lot of averages to arrive at final point for the month. That is how things are scientifically done especially in serious and advanced societies. Winning AFCON does not automatically push Nigeria to first position in Africa. I felt the urge to write this because despite the availabilty of internet resources, most Nigerians always take delight in proudly displaying their ignorance which some people accept as intelligent contribution. [/b]
Though i like your explanation but i beg to disagree.Many soccer pundits and administrators are still questioning the rationale behind this ranking.There are some countries that you and i know that they hardly play friendly matches.Mind you FIFA do grade the friendly matches played.A good example is Mali and some funny European countries way ahead of Nigeria.They barely play FIFA Grade A matches and even if they play they dont win.When it comes to major competitions they don't qualify or get eliminated in group stages still yet they are ahead of Nigeria.Even though for the past 8 years that our football has plunged we still qualify for AFCON and subsequent world cup,play a couple of friendlies but some of these countries that are ahead of Nigeria don't qualify for world cup,they don,t even do well in their continental football so i will like you to rescind your opinion of NLanders being myopic as pertaining to FIFA ranking
Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by tcalc: 5:57pm On Feb 14, 2013
Ejiné:

No dear. It is you who needs to permanently shut up, now that you've been shamed.

Where in that particular post you quoted did I say anything about FIFA ranking? Mehn, you're a true dullard, and there's no hiding it.

Please go bury your face in shame for trying to project your poor sense comprehension on others.
haha,and how have u proved it that the friendlies will be meant to boost the SE chances of qualifying, it'll cost u nothing to admit ur clueless post and try to reason better before putting up silly text on the screen ok. or have u been kidding me all the way?
Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by Frostyzone(m): 6:02pm On Feb 14, 2013

Bro, you have said it all. I tried to explain it to them but you beat me to it.

It's just amazing how ignorant some people can be. Wow!
Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by CLT123(m): 6:03pm On Feb 14, 2013
Rankings are published monthly, usually on a Wednesday. The deadline for the matches to be considered is usually the Thursday prior to the release date, but after major tournaments, all games up to the final are included.

1 Like

Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by searay(m): 6:17pm On Feb 14, 2013
blank:

Do you know anything about football at all? First do a little research on how FIFA calculate the rankings then you will understand.
pls educate us
Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by Frostyzone(m): 6:18pm On Feb 14, 2013
chingyjant:
Though i like your explanation but i beg to disagree.Many soccer pundits and administrators are still questioning the rationale behind this ranking.There are some countries that you and i know that they hardly play friendly matches.Mind you FIFA do grade the friendly matches played.A good example is Mali and some funny European countries way ahead of Nigeria.They barely play FIFA Grade A matches and even if they play they dont win.When it comes to major competitions they don't qualify or get eliminated in group stages still yet they are ahead of Nigeria.Even though for the past 8 years that our football has plunged we still qualify for AFCON and subsequent world cup,play a couple of friendlies but some of these countries that are ahead of Nigeria don't qualify for world cup,they don,t even do well in their continental football so i will like you to rescind your opinion of NLanders being myopic as pertaining to FIFA ranking

Dude, stop embarrassing yourself. Did you know that Mali was 25th in the world and the 3rd ranked team in Africa, even before the Afcon began?

Nigeria on the other hand, weren't even at the top 50(We were 52nd).

Nigeria then jumped 22 paces, mainly because of their Afcon success, and people like you still have the audacity to question legity of the ranking system.

What did you expect? For Nigeria to magically jump 40 paces and automatically make it to the top ten, abi?

Really, sometimes some people don't make use of their reasoning faculty at all!

2 Likes

Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by Ninilowo(m): 6:22pm On Feb 14, 2013
Na dem sabi. My own be so make we dey win matches dey go.
Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by Ejine(m): 6:29pm On Feb 14, 2013
tcalc: haha,and how have u proved it that the friendlies will be meant to boost the SE chances of qualifying, it'll cost u nothing to admit ur clueless post and try to reason better before putting up silly text on the screen ok. or have u been kidding me all the way?

You see why I said you're a dunce?
Here's my post to you, mooroon:

Ejiné:

You're a total dunce, and this second post of yours just erased whatever doubts I had initially.
Hosting friendlies with bigger teams would help develop the much-needed CONFIDENCE in the build-up to next year's World Cup and not just for FIFA rankings, you dumbass. Read my post again if you have difficulties comprehending, or call family members to also help do it for you.

You now see it?
Like I said before, you're a complete dunce who can't read to save his miserable life.
Would it take anything out of your blood to admit you've been making a fool out of yourself?
Do you really enjoy showcasing the idiiot in you?

First you said my post was about rankings, when in NO WAY did it point to that. And now, as the shameless pseudo-intellectual buffoon you are, you're trying to change and say it was about qualification.

Oga, you are dullard, and there's no hope for you anymore.
Pity.
Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by Jarus(m): 6:29pm On Feb 14, 2013
Frostyzone:

Dude, stop embarrassing yourself. Did you know that Mali was 25th in the world and the 3rd ranked team in Africa, even before the Afcon began?

Nigeria on the other hand, weren't even at the top 50(We were 52nd).

Nigeria then jumped 22 paces, mainly because of their Afcon success, and people like you still have the audacity to question legity of the ranking system.

What did you expect? For Nigeria to magical jump 40 paces and automatically make it to the top ten, abi?

Really, sometimes some people don't make use of their reasoning faculty at all!

I tire o.

I wonder what they want Egypt to rank in 2010, after winning three consecutive AFCONS (2006, 2008 and 2010). Maybe Egyptians should be expecting No 1 in the world then.
Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by searay(m): 6:33pm On Feb 14, 2013
I know say na person dey do the ranking. This is the African ranking,you are I withnessed:
1. Nigeria
2. Burkina Faso
3. Mali
4. Ghana
5. Others

Please copy this to Blatter and his agent.
Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by vandarsar(m): 6:35pm On Feb 14, 2013
Mali is playing good or are you a kid who just started following soccer yesternight? Mali was number three in Africa by default last year and they cement that with a smooth qualification to this year nations cup where they still manage to retain their 3rd position in Africa. Remember your own super eagle had one of the worst year in her football history last year and that's why we had to drop so low on the table.

Don't judge Mali by that 4:1 we trash them cause even Nigerians were flattered by that score line. And for me, 2 things are involved; is either Keshi was able to identify the strength and weaknesses of that team whom he has coached before or Nigeria helping Mali in the war back home is kinda too emotional for the Malian players to handle, either way I might be wrong.

Lastly, if you take your time to check the malian team u will find some real good qualities, players like sammassa, sow, sisokko, keita, diakitte etc so they are player who have been playing together for long and knows how to threat the ball well, and if you've been following African football very well, you will agree with me that Malian league is doing very well through Stade Maline.

Havilah93: ...what baffles me is how Mali still manages to be ahead of us in 25th
Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by agabaI23(m): 6:40pm On Feb 14, 2013

Thank you for the infor. I actually started with 'I think' which makes my post a hypothesis. I went further to explain what I thought. Thank goodness you have the right information. It doesn't warrant your disparaging everyone though.
Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by agabaI23(m): 6:40pm On Feb 14, 2013

Thank you for the infor. I actually started with 'I think' which makes my post a hypothesis. I went further to explain what I thought. Thank goodness you have the right information. It doesn't warrant your disparaging everyone though.
Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by Frostyzone(m): 6:45pm On Feb 14, 2013
Jarus:

I tire o.

I wonder what they want Egypt to rank in 2010, after winning three consecutive AFCONS (2006, 2008 and 2010). Maybe Egyptians should be expecting No 1 in the world then.

Lol! Actually one the ignoramus actually implied that. He said that Fifa should start a ranking system based on reality and history instead of current form.

Which when put into practise, means that countries like Brazil would be perpetually at the top 5, irrespective of their current form/streak.

*SMH*
Re: Eagles Now 30th In FIFA Rankings by tcalc: 6:48pm On Feb 14, 2013
Ejiné: Mehn, I think NFF should grow some cojones and set us up on friendlies with 'the big guys' like Germany, Spain, Brazil, Italy, Argentina, Portugal etc.

Phuck it. It's not like they're untouchable. They're not gods. They can still lose matches!
I really have a lot of faith in our boys now.

With confidence, we won't lose. Kpata kpata na draw!
this was the post i quoted initially which has nothing to do with w/c or qualfn, but rather ironic to the thread. in ur attempt to escape ur guilt u posted the other. apparently u wish to persistently show ur inadequacies; ur disability is not physical as i know its very hard at times for people with so much obstinacy like u to admit mistakes filled with idiocy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kelechi Iheanacho's 23rd Birthday: Ndidi, Shehu, Simon, Awoniyi Celebrate Him / Ellen DeGeneres Donates $100,000 To Emeka Nnaka, Paralysed Footballer (photo) / Kelechi Nawakali's Official Statement About Termination Of Contract By SD Huesca

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.