Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,396 members, 7,815,860 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:35 PM

Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles (1734 Views)

Nigerian Army Re-engages Retired Soldiers / Jonathan Rains Dollars On South-west Obas (each given $250,000 (N50m)) - Punch / Vigilantes, Retired Soldiers Vow To Confront Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by Austinobisnr(m): 1:58pm On Feb 14, 2013
There is a deep sadness amongst
the nation's retired soldiers many
of whom are owed their gratuities
and a back log of pensions. But
their present sadness is that after
having fought for Nigeria with
many of them suffering bullet and
other wounds and losing their
colleagues to death on the war
front they have been treated
shabbily while they watched on TV
the dollar and naira rain given to
the Super Eagles which they feel is
unfair to them.
One of these retired soldiers, Staff
Sergeant Jim Yawa (rtd) spoke thus:
"We were conscripted into the
army at 19. We fought the civil
war, did same in Congo, Burma and
Yugoslavia before we left the
service...But some little boys who
were born in 1991, 1992 and the
oldest one was born in 1980 were
rewarded with National Awards,
each of them 5 million naira, plots
of land and other benefits...for just
participating in 21 day event in
South Africa...they slept in good
hotels and paid for sleeping and
playing foot ball...but we worked
for 35 years, risk our lives and
today we cannot even get our
monthly pension of less than 20,
000 Naira is this not injustice?
www.naijapundit.com/news/super-eages-dollar-rain-raises-tension-amongst-retired-soldiers
Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by Cunninlingus: 2:02pm On Feb 14, 2013
We should pay for their atrocious evil that they committed on innocent civilians.

1 Like

Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by Dede1(m): 2:10pm On Feb 14, 2013
Staff Sergeant Jim Yawa, I am really disappointed in reading about your plight and those of your colleagues. Nigeria is a noted misplaced priority and will continue to be so until something is done. However, you should voice your complaints against those rats that conscripted you at 19 years of age to fight the civil war.

1 Like

Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by Austinobisnr(m): 2:12pm On Feb 14, 2013
why is it a global phenomonon to neglect ex-service-men. Jst recently d soldier dat shot osama complained of difficulties in feeding his family
Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by Ngwakwe: 2:13pm On Feb 14, 2013
Must these people raise an eyebrow for appreciation to champions.

Selflessness demands you ask for your right without reference to other peoples benefit.

Biafrans soldiers still deserve gratuity and pension, no matter what.
Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by Tolexander: 2:23pm On Feb 14, 2013
Won't believe there were conscriptions into the nigerian army during the civil war cos i think the soldiers were sufficient enough to force the region back to the the geographical circuit of Nigeria.
Things are needed to be done to this cos they risked their life to make the country stand and that was their major assignment unlike the football players that still have a personal assignments with their clubs.
Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by MrUzo: 2:27pm On Feb 14, 2013
I really do feel for them the old soldiers.. They signed their live.. they are supposed to be given member of the order of niger atleast
Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by Paschal007: 3:07pm On Feb 14, 2013
Were they among those that fought the civil war?
Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by texazzpete(m): 3:21pm On Feb 14, 2013
Dede1: Staff Sergeant Jim Yawa, I am really disappointed in reading about your plight and those of your colleagues. Nigeria is a noted misplaced priority and will continue to be so until something is done. However, you should voice your complaints against those rats that conscripted you at 19 years of age to fight the civil war.

How old were those boys that were recruited into action by the Biafran high command? 15? 16?

Sadly, most of them were rewarded by death and disability by leaders who kept them in the field, fighting even when the situation was clearly hopeless.
Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by Nobody: 3:22pm On Feb 14, 2013
Abeg make dem go siddon! they didnt react when Patience Jonathan demanded 4billion naira to build a fuccking MISSION HOUSE!
they didnt react when Jonathan approved billions of naira contract to build a big city gate for Abuja
they didnt react when Jonathan approved 1billion for food only.
now that the super eagles are being awarded for their hardwork,they are complaining.They should go to Maina and complain!

1 Like

Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by Nobody: 3:43pm On Feb 14, 2013
was is not their mates that stole naija blind with impunity? why did they not react, why have they not reacted, what were they doing when em mates were busying themselves looting the COMMON WEALTH OF WE PEOPLE DRY? ex service-men i am imploring you to leave super-eagles alone. let them be. make them enjoy their sweat!

1 Like

Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by Igwe9(m): 3:57pm On Feb 14, 2013
A clear case of "Transfer of aggression", that was a bad reference and b.t.w, there's the possibility of their monies been pocketed by some group of individuals. they'd better know how to make an honest complaint without antagonizing oneself.
Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by Nobody: 4:00pm On Feb 14, 2013
They are both in different professions.....no basis to compare!
Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by DuduNegro: 4:01pm On Feb 14, 2013
.....But some little boys whowere born in 1991, 1992 and theoldest one was born in 1980 wererewarded with National Awards,each of them 5 million naira, plots of land and other benefits...for just participating in 21 day event inSouth Africa...they slept in good hotels and paid for sleeping and playing foot ball...

.......and fvck love peddlars cool
Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by phecs: 4:15pm On Feb 14, 2013
I feel bad fr them sha!me receive bullet fr naija goverment!lie lie!I wld rather die carryin cocaine to malaysia than serve nigeria government!until revolution we re goin nowhr!

1 Like

Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by gbadexy(m): 6:35pm On Feb 14, 2013
This life is funny.
When they were young and in service, they behave like demi gods, treat and look down on "bloody civilians".
When they get old and out of service they now start looking for sympathy.
I wish the ones in service would look at the older colleagues and learn about the transience of youth and power but alas its a cyclic phenomenon.

3 Likes

Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by Symphony007: 6:40pm On Feb 14, 2013
Abeg!! What have you soildeirs done? What's so hard about going to war, getting shot, suffering life long injuries, carrying shrapnel in your body..the super eagels by running around with a football and won a cup has done more than you ever did and i'm sure most nigerians think the money, plots of land and national honours given to them is still too small, they've been to aso rock, national assembly, i hope their next stop is the central bank and the keys to the national vault presented to them!!
Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by phadat(m): 7:19pm On Feb 14, 2013
Different strokes for different folks, someone somewhere is busy stuffing this peoples money in their pockets SMH
Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by ugoani(m): 7:48pm On Feb 14, 2013
Though i feel for them shaa, But how i wish this is how the national cake is shared to those that worked and merited it like the super eagles, unlike those hooligans in Power looting and stashing our treasury into their bottomless pockets to the detriment of those that works hard for this country.
Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by MAYOWAAK: 8:31pm On Feb 14, 2013
The truth is Times av changed things are different, its a whole new dispensation. If footballers are rewarded as acclaimed its worth it. Having said that the bitter truth is that, Nigeria has more than enough to satisfactorily provide for all its nationals (considering her as the 6th largest oil producing country). But the greed of our leaders has displaced the ability to prioritize and make available the essentials its nation needs. As for many nationals who has been deprived of their rights..... Well we can only pray that the heart of our leaders are changed.
It is a pathetic situation for my nation. So pathetic that as many that gets the chance to go abroad goes and never want to come back even though they been treated as second class in a foreign Land.

The way forward from my perspective is having the right attitude towards everything and treating your immediate neighbor as u would love to be treated. Starting from within our homes, to communities and this spreads in diaspora.

God bless Nigeria!!!
Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by Nobody: 8:37pm On Feb 14, 2013
Am sure Rossike is sympathetic to them. He would soon land here like the most patriotic bum nigeria ever had undecided
Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by topmostg: 11:03pm On Feb 14, 2013
Paschal007: Were they among those that fought the civil war?
no bro,

they were among those that fought ww1......
Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by Eziachi: 11:27pm On Feb 14, 2013
Tolexander: Won't believe there were conscriptions into the nigerian army during the civil war cos i think the soldiers were sufficient enough to force the region back to the the geographical circuit of Nigeria.
Things are needed to be done to this cos they risked their life to make the country stand and that was their major assignment unlike the football players that still have a personal assignments with their clubs.
Don't kid yourself. They risked their lives and wasted life of others just to make paupers like IBB, obj, Abiola, Abacha, Adenuga, Chris Uba, Otedola, Danjuma and Ibori of one Nigerian world billionaires.
Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by Eziachi: 11:30pm On Feb 14, 2013
gbadexy: This life is funny.
When they were young and in service, they behave like demi gods, treat and look down on "bloody civilians".
When they get old and out of service they now start looking for sympathy.
I wish the ones in service would look at the older colleagues and learn about the transience of youth and power but alas its a cyclic phenomenon.
They must be sweating blood, each night when NEPA allows them to see NTA news watching those bloody civilians they use to flog on the street swimming in cash. grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by Tolexander: 11:42pm On Feb 14, 2013
Eziachi:
Don't kid yourself. They risked their lives and wasted life of others just to make paupers like IBB, obj, Abiola, Abacha, Adenuga, Chris Uba, Otedola, Danjuma and Ibori of one Nigerian world billionaires.
am less concern with that. All i know is they carried out their duty.
Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by Eziachi: 11:51pm On Feb 14, 2013
Tolexander: am less concern with that. All i know is they carried out their duty.
Well, realities of life dictates that not all duties ever performed worth or deserved a reward. And this is shaping to be just one of them, Sir.
Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by Tolexander: 11:59pm On Feb 14, 2013
Eziachi:
Well, realities of life dictates that not all duties ever performed worth or deserved a reward. And this is shaping to be just one of them, Sir.
whareva! Did you bother to read the article? If you did, you wouldn't say they arent rewarded.
Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by Dibiachukwu: 9:29am On Feb 15, 2013
Gud. Next time when they tell you to come and kill your own citizens; say no. The same people that you fought for have denied you the dignity of life. Not all commands are to be followed; even as a soldier.
Re: Retired Soldiers React To Rain Of Dollars On The Super Eagles by Eziachi: 2:20pm On Feb 15, 2013
Tolexander: whareva! Did you bother to read the article? If you did, you wouldn't say they arent rewarded.
I did read it, my dearest friend. Been paid your salary or your pension is not a reward, its an entitlement, a right too.

(1) (Reply)

Archbishop Of Jos Defends Gays, Asks FG To Stop Punishing Them / Court Sentences Boko Haram Financier To 10 Years Imprisonment / We Have Demystified The Oil Industry – Alison-madueke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.