Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,842 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:31 AM

Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria (14556 Views)

NYSC: One Wasted Or Significant Year? / See what can happen during NYSC one year service (A disguised blessing)!photos / Serving Nigeria With Mask! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by folahann(m): 11:32am On Feb 15, 2013
Batch ‘A’ 2012 Corps members are passing out today. But many of them are not looking forward to the event. Reason: the high unemployment rate and lack of low-interest loan for graduates, who want to go into business. GERALD NWOKOCHA writes.

•Corps members paint bleak picture of National Youth Service

Today, Batch ‘A’ 2012 Corps members will pass out after the one-year mandatory service. In the past, it was an event graduates looked forward to with high hope of a better future. Today, Corps members do not share that sentiment. Many of them are not happy because “we are going to join millions of unemployed graduates”.

Many Corps members had come to see the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) as an avenue for employment after service. Many of them lobbied to change their postings and places of primary assignment to either government offices or corporate firms.

Last year, the Federal Government introduced a policy, mandating the NYSC directorate to stop posting Corps members to private firms. Former Minister of Youth Development Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi, who introduced the reform, said the NYSC was becoming moribund, adding that there was need to revamp the scheme for better results.

Abdullahi said the government had cogent reasons for redirecting the energy of the youth to four sectors of the economy.

He said: “Posting of Corps members to various parts of the country in the area of rural health care delivery, education, infrastructure and agriculture will lead to equitable labour supply and create equal development across the nation, thereby making the youth to serve the community, instead of being cheap labour for private firms in the city.”

The Corps members passing out today are the first set to be posted to the four sectors. Many of them bemoaned their postings to remote villages, where they said they could not utilise their business skills. They are afraid that after passing out they will be abandoned.

They are also aggrieved at what they call a ploy to get them to serve for one more than one year through the background. To them, the requirement that they should go for one year practical training to benefit from the Subsidy Re-investment and Empowerment Programme (SURE-P), amounts to “second service”.

They said instead of providing jobs to practicalise what they were taught in school, government wants them to go for another round of training, which may not ensure immediate employment after completion.

Abdulkadir Muazu, who served in Abuja, described the SURE-P training as a waste of resources. He wondered why the government could not channel the resources to provide loans to business-minded youth.

Stanley Ibeku, a former Corps member, described the training as government contractors idea. He said: “The idea is irrelevant. Why did they not make the training available to graduates during the service year? Are they also advocating the scrapping of NYSC?”

Most Corps members, who spoke to our correspondent, described their service year as a waste of time.

“What do you expect when Corps members are sent to communities where there is no life for a whole year and yet when they are through, there is no immediate employment? The whole thing is a waste of time,” said an outgoing Corps member, who served in Kaduna.

Those posted to remote villages said the service year was hell for them. Idris Ibrahim, who is passing out today in Katsina State, told CAMPUSLIFE that the service year was tough for him. He was posted to a community where there is no electricity. To make calls, he said, was a problem. He wondered why he was posted to a village when there was no meaningful thing the villagers were expecting from Corps members.

Hope Ofobike, who served in Niger State, said it was as if, she was cursed to waste a year.

“The experience is not worth it, because I was made redundant for 11 months. The best way to engage Corps members is to repeal the policy, which makes all Corps members to teach or serve in rural communities. I studied Mass Communication and during the service year, I was supposed to be posted either to the print or electronic media. But I was asked to teach. Now, employers will be asking for two or three years experience in journalism. My brother, where will I get that when I was posted to a rural school?” Hope said.

Charles Israel, who served in Kokona Local Government Area of Nasarawa State, said serving in the North was depressing. He told CAMPUSLIFE that the blocks of classrooms in the secondary school where he served had all collapsed. “I don’t know how they want us to survive in such environment,” he wondered.

Chinwe Madubuike, who served in Federal Capital Territory (FCT), has a different story. “I fell in love with the students I taught at my place of primary assignment. I have a good service year not because I served in FCT, but because I was posted to teach, which is what I like,” she said.

Gbeminiyi Ope-Ewe, who served at Africa Comprehensive School, Asokoro, Abuja, was discouraged when she was posted to a school but her experience was a source of inspiration to her. “I want to groom youth after my service year. I want to open an outfit for talent discovery and skill acquisition,” she said.

Emeka Oge, who was in Niger State, said the service would be meaningful if Corps members are employed after service. “If we are made to be looking for jobs after our service year without provision of loans or service that can engage us productively, the nation has no business sending anybody to serve the in rural communities after their degree programmes. Let graduates find jobs after they complete their university degrees. This will save time and resources than sending us to places where none of our leaders have been to.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/campus-life/we-wasted-one-year-serving-nigeria/
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by kofoshi: 11:39am On Feb 15, 2013
Passed out?

Did they collapse?

Hope they have been resuscitated o.

1 Like

Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by folahann(m): 2:18pm On Feb 15, 2013
kofoshi: Passed out?

Did they collapse?

if dem do passing-out parade, e mean say they pass out to that.

On a more serious note, I think FG should just scrap NYSC.

4 Likes

Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by dusty84(m): 2:35pm On Feb 16, 2013
[color=#990000]the idea of national service is to expose us to other areas in the country as well as character building...even though i never got the national award that suposed to be given me and i served my country with heart and might...i stlll feel the experience made me a better person in terms of character.so i guess it was not a waste of time afterall.

1 Like

Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Nobody: 1:00am On Mar 08, 2013
service year was absolutely a waste of time for me. I'm in support of them scrapping it. btw what's up with the review of the nysc Act.
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by dridowu: 1:40pm On Mar 08, 2013
What did i gain during service year?
Time will tell
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Nobody: 1:43pm On Mar 08, 2013
WHAT YOU DIDNT GET PAID ? YOU ALSO GOT TO KEEP THEM KICK AZZ SHOES. LOVE THEM NYSC SHOES.
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by NEROSKY(m): 1:44pm On Mar 08, 2013
Hmm, Waiting for more comments
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Nobody: 1:45pm On Mar 08, 2013
Why didnt they reject their alawe. Mek i hear word jare

1 Like

Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Arsenate(m): 1:48pm On Mar 08, 2013
My one year wasn't a waste.
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by solomon111(m): 1:48pm On Mar 08, 2013
Smh.
Most people just want what the country will do for them,and we wonder why progress is slow.

1 Like

Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Nobody: 1:50pm On Mar 08, 2013
THEY NEED 2 STFU!
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Phonon: 1:51pm On Mar 08, 2013
Story of my life.They are moaning like they are the only ones who served in rural areas.I have many friends who served in rural areas and later got jobs in big corporations or went to the US/UK to pursue graduate studies.Not to come across as being condescending,I think many of these people complaining are those who graduated with bad grades/are too old to apply for Graduate Trainee jobs/have no prior job experience/possess no practical skills to start a business and they don't know what to do with their lives.Just saying...

3 Likes

Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Eneze1(f): 1:59pm On Mar 08, 2013
though I complained about it before but serving was one of the best experience of my life, I gained a lot more than my expectation and I was retained at my workplace so to me its not a waste of time

1 Like

Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Nobody: 2:02pm On Mar 08, 2013
khalifer: MTN wan give us service FG we don't need ur service again.scrap dis NYSC
ROTFLMFAO Lol Lol Lol @ the second pic
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Nobody: 2:04pm On Mar 08, 2013
kofoshi: Passed out?

Did they collapse?

Pass out is a phrase verb which cannot be modified into a past form and it means to be unconscious while passing out as used above means to complete a training.

1 Like

Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by collinsola: 2:08pm On Mar 08, 2013
[quote author=dusty84][color=#990000]the idea of national service is to expose us to other areas in the country as well as character building...even though i never got the national award that suposed to be given me and i served my country with heart and might...i stlll feel the experience made me a better person in terms of character.so i guess it was not a waste of time afterall.

These your English don finish my Bis O
And you claim say you be graduate.

1 Like

Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Smuthx(m): 2:11pm On Mar 08, 2013
One year NYSC experience is a good thing.
1st. It is a once in a life time experience or phase after graduating from the university.

B. The alawe money is quite good. it can be used to keep body and soul together.

3rd. You meet and interact with new people, culture, customs and people's way of life of where you are posted to.

4th You meet fellow corpers of different tribes, (Hausas, yourba, Igbos.....), characters. You can bet there are very hot female corpers from all tribes of Nigeria. There is this yourba corper that when she speaks yourba; you fall instantly in love with her. Her voice sounds like an angel but her English voice sounds normal like anyother person.

E. You meet different people that are have graduated from virtually all the discipline in Nigeria. like Computer Science from University of Sokoto, Medicine from U.I and many others.

a downside to this is mostly due to the fear and insecurity in some parts of the country
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Nobody: 2:40pm On Mar 08, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Pass out is a phrase verb which cannot be modified into a past form and it means to be unconscious while passing out as used above means to complete a training.
Mr lecturer the guy was only being sarcastic

1 Like

Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Nobody: 2:51pm On Mar 08, 2013
[size=21pt] i Doubt if i will ever do this NYSC after all am not gonna rely on D Govt for employment so am going nowhere [/size]
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by akorlade(m): 2:53pm On Mar 08, 2013
Chairman wait until #19500 alert no enter then you will know the FG is trying.
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Chillypelly(m): 2:53pm On Mar 08, 2013
The daft of a man called Gowon instituted it solely for personal gains. I can recall escaping death by the whiskers during thte 2011 elections in the north. The huge funds spent on that venture should have been used to create jobs.
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by sylve11: 2:56pm On Mar 08, 2013
akorlade: Chairman wait until #19500 alert no enter then you will know the FG is trying.

men forget 19500, the thing na waste of time. cool
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Nobody: 2:58pm On Mar 08, 2013
It wasnt not a wasted year for me
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by guvnor83: 2:59pm On Mar 08, 2013
Eating semolina and macline

1 Like

Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by bigx(m): 3:01pm On Mar 08, 2013
they never planned ahead, failure to plan is a plan to fail.

I made the biggest progress with my businesses in my service year,
My least paid worker was receiving better than the starvation allowance during the service year.

Apart from that I see the normal excuses, you dont need a loan to start a business, get an excellent idea, be known for honesty and integrity and people would beg you with their money to invest (speaking from experience).
Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by Bright2(m): 3:02pm On Mar 08, 2013
What are these un experienced corpers saying? NYSC has help alot of them in many ways,some of them who can not even address crowd could do that today because NYSC has subjected them to face students & teach which enable them today to address people in mass.Some of them furnished their appartment with the savings they made from the state allowance.Some of them don't even know they have tasted power with that uniform given to them.They talk of experience those that didn't serve as corpers which experience did they get in one year? Some people where posted to area where they couldn't have visited if not for NYSC,the day they received their call-up letter they were so happy that NYSC call them to come & serve, today look at them them complaining! If i have the opportunity to serve again,i'll do that whole heartedly.Most of them that run their mouth today even in the next five years can't withstand interview not to talk of getting a job that will earn them =N=19800/month. I served my country for that one year in Benue state & i benefited from it nomatter today im self employed but it worth serving. When they were flying about in their villages sampling their corper's uniform,raising elbow with that uniform ,receiving praises they didn't complain,now that they have tasted it all look them running their mouth as if they can eat their cake & have it back.

5 Likes

Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by pweeryambre: 3:10pm On Mar 08, 2013
I served in (akpabuyo)cross river state, not exactly wat I expected,I learnt how to roast and eat pork meat... Also the allowee part is good cos my folks totally stopped giving me anything, I had to learn money management by force, and I drank a lot of garri to save money.

1 Like

Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by delors(m): 3:13pm On Mar 08, 2013
NYSC is a sheer waste of time...big time! I experienced it! I risked my life (as others too)! I dont even make reference to the jobs I did at NYSC on my resume! Its just a waste of time, talents and life! After spending (4 + X) years at school, sit at home for about 6-10months before call up comes and then another one full year of underemployment, insecurity and unproductivity (in the name of NYSC), what happens next? You are left to either swim or sink in the messed up labour market! Na wah o
I barely escaped with my life after serving one year in Maiduguri when Boko haram started years back...I just dont know if these govt guys are measuring if this program still adds value to the economy! Such a waste of everything! We spend almost 10 years after secondary school on education...when we aint planning on becoming professors! In North America, 22-24 year olds are Masters students but for my country, na 40years dey do masters after wasting years for nothing!

2 Likes

Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by AZeD1(m): 3:25pm On Mar 08, 2013
Nysc is a waste of time and resources. The program should be scrapped.

1 Like

Re: Corpers - We Wasted One Year Serving Nigeria by woye77: 3:29pm On Mar 08, 2013
those who say the time is wasted need to think again. You gained valuable experience within the period, not to talk of the monthly allowance you got from the government. The exposure and the experience is invaluable. What guarantee do you have that if you had been seeking work within that one year you would have been employed? angry angry angry angry

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Register Your NYSC B16 Online Registration At Shop 14 Bakassi Hall, Yabatech. / Kwara Batch B Pcms Lets Meet Here ....... / NYSC Members To Get N100million Loans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.