Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,123 members, 7,814,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ (10041 Views)

Buhari Shocked By States' Inability To Pay Salaries / FG Govt Borrows N473bn To Pay Salaries And Overheads. / Mayday! Mayday!! "EFCC Is Broke"-Cant Pay Salaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by Nobody: 6:08am On Feb 16, 2013
Paucity of funds has hit Nigerian Missions abroad with a number of embassies unable to meet basic responsibilities like the payment of staff salaries, as well as electricity and telephone bills.

Saturday PUNCH gathered in Abuja on Thursday that complaints from some of the missions, especially in Europe and Asia, have become more strident.

As a temporary measure, some of the diplomats have resorted to dipping their hands into their personal savings or using their credit cards to get by.

The more enterprising ones among them, especially non-career diplomats, have reached out to their state governors to advance them funds before remittances are made from Abuja.

It was further gathered that some diplomats in Ireland, Canada, Belgium, Germany, United States, Switzerland and Japan are worst hit with the high cost of living in their host countries.

Some allege that salaries have not been paid since October 2012 due to non-remittance from Abuja.

When contacted, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Olugbenga Ashiru said claims that remittances have not been made since October 2012 were untrue.

He said, “As you are aware, the ministry is part of government and our budget is tied to the budget of the federation.

“The 2013 budget is still being processed. As we speak, we have received assurances from the Minister of Finance that everything is being done to ensure that our missions are properly funded.

“It is not true that we have not remitted funds since October, it is absolutely not true.

“I have constantly advised our officers to ensure the prudent management of the little resources available so that when there is a little delay they can sustain basic services.”

The Nigerian High Commission in Ottawa, Canada, where former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ojo Maduekwe holds sway, was so broke in October last year that it could not meet its financial obligations for two months.

It was learnt that the situation was so critical that Maduekwe paid a visit to Abuja, where he met with the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Olugbenga Ashiru.

A source at the Nigerian High Commission, said on the condition of anonymity that it was so embarrassing that staff, including non- Nigerians working with the embassy, have begun to complain openly.

The situation in Ottawa is not different from what obtains in several other Nigerian Missions including Geneva, Switzerland.

http://www.nigeriaintel.com/2013/02/16/nigerian-embassies-cant-pay-salaries-bills/
Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by seanet01: 6:33am On Feb 16, 2013
Power
Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by rastamouse: 10:23am On Feb 16, 2013
Keshi can help out grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by Obieem: 10:28am On Feb 16, 2013
make dem merge dem na

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by disloman(m): 10:28am On Feb 16, 2013
What's wrong?3rd 2 comment.#openingteeth#
Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by hassey(m): 10:30am On Feb 16, 2013
management failure, all ds is as a result of coruption, and un necesary spending by d embasy's
Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by TBD(m): 10:30am On Feb 16, 2013
Corruption in this country has spoil everything. May God safe us from this kind of embrassment.
Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by vizboy(m): 10:31am On Feb 16, 2013
well
Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by ozodimgba(m): 10:37am On Feb 16, 2013
If they cant pay their bills they should come back home or preferably apply for deportation. Umu ewu.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by free2ryhme: 10:38am On Feb 16, 2013
but they can thief money .... Why are they tell us they shld go and tell Uncle Jona
Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by lordZOUGA(m): 10:43am On Feb 16, 2013
is it that the Nigerian ruling body does not know how to run a country or is it that the consisting individuals are too myopic to see beyond stuffing public funds into their pockets?
Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by zebudaya(m): 10:44am On Feb 16, 2013
FUCKING EMBASSY IN NY now charges us over $2 a minute on their 1900 number. What the fucking, Bleep. I wish I could fucking meet the fucking consul, I will tell him to fucking shove the fucking 1900 up his fucking ass. What the hell do they do with all the fucking money that comes from Abuja. Nasty fucking rouges

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by manmustwac(m): 10:50am On Feb 16, 2013
but they can squander money on keshi and the national team

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by lacasa: 10:52am On Feb 16, 2013
Corruption et al kiss

Ofcourse, under the Retardeen "corruption" has bn institutionalised.

I am not surprised sad
Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by kalunomics(m): 10:52am On Feb 16, 2013
free2ryhme: but they can thief money .... Why are they tell us they shld go and tell Uncle Jona
u don die 2day if don't modify this post quick!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by Nobody: 10:53am On Feb 16, 2013
zebudaya: FUCKING EMBASSY IN NY now charges us over $2 a minute on their 1900 number. What the fucking, Bleep. I wish I could fucking meet the fucking consul, I will tell him to fucking shove the fucking 1900 up his fucking ass. What the hell do they do with all the fucking money that comes from Abuja. Nasty fucking rouges

Nairaland auto-correct grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by Jluvu: 10:53am On Feb 16, 2013
South America is not left out,Brazil in particular officers are yet to receive their salaries since last year.
Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by Jluvu: 10:56am On Feb 16, 2013
The FG should act fast and redeem this embarrassing situation.
Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by Nobody: 10:57am On Feb 16, 2013
IS THIS NEWS? I MEAN THIS IS NAIJA WHERE NUTHING HAPPENS undecided
Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by gbogboti: 10:57am On Feb 16, 2013
The black man is cursed. The most disorganised race in the world.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by IYANGBALI: 11:02am On Feb 16, 2013
Dey should close down and come back home,no be by force to have embassy abroad.
Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by Symphony007: 11:07am On Feb 16, 2013
When the government finds it hard to pay salaries and fund departments here at home, how do you expect them to remember those leagues away? To reduce cost i think ecowas nation should consider running joint embassies.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by Pennywise(m): 11:14am On Feb 16, 2013
Jonathan is presiding over a national sleaze unprecedented in history. He appears either incapable or unwilling to address Nigeria's problems. As things stand it seems the farther you are away from the treasury the less likely you will be remembered.
Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by takedat(m): 11:22am On Feb 16, 2013

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by dnawah(m): 11:23am On Feb 16, 2013
4 say una mak this country beta 4 me & u,9ja 4 be hot cake in the world.imagine where 1million peopl want come here and they pay $200 4 visa + back yard runs.ambassador and workers go dey jolly.y d embassies when them no want come here?;-(
Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by Reference(m): 11:25am On Feb 16, 2013
Legit1:

Nairaland auto-correct grin

Ha, ha, ha. Bleeping bleep. Seun take time oh.
Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by farem: 11:32am On Feb 16, 2013
You people don't know anything about the running of economy! If you take note very well, Nigeria is the ONLY oil producing country that is currently experiencing this type of scenario. If you dont also mind, the foreign debt is mounting while oil income and various incomes from firs, customs, npa, nnpc etc are on the rise. We have not really completed any major projects even though in the last two years we hardly held any wednesday meeting without rolling out billions on various contracts like east-west road, collapsing lagos airport, apapa-oshodi exp, benin-ore exp, boko-haram 1Trillion mark... and others that I have lost count on. ALL THIS IS IN TANDEM WITH OUR TRANSFORMATION AGENDA. Keep enjoying our Fresh (stinking) Air!
Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by vandarsar(m): 11:37am On Feb 16, 2013
Until there is a link to back your claim up, you're nothing but a piece of puppet.... Nigerian puppet.

J luv u: South America is not left out,Brazil in particular officers are yet to receive their salaries since last year.
Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by Bidvest2020: 11:40am On Feb 16, 2013
And isn't Nigeria supposed to be the richest and most prosperous country in the world? at least that's the impression I got here on nairaland.
Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by Nobody: 11:41am On Feb 16, 2013
zebudaya: FU'C'KING EMBASSY IN NY now charges us over $2 a minute on their 1900 number. What the fu'c'king, fu'c'k. I wish I could fu'c'king meet the fu'c'k'ing consul, I will tell him to fu'c'king shove the fu'c'king 1900 up his fu'c'king ass. What the hell do they do with all the fu'c'king money that comes from Abuja. Nasty fu'c'king rouges
Fixed

Now I can fu'c'k off grin
Re: Nigerian Embassies Cant Pay Salaries, Bills’ by nikkypearl(f): 11:41am On Feb 16, 2013
Too lazy 2read dis days!can sum1 plz summarize in one sentence?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Peer Review: Edo, Kwara, Kaduna States Record About 400% IGR Increase In 3 Years / Customs Seize Items Worth ₦54 Milliom In Kano/Jigawa Axis / Adeyemi Ikuforiji (Lagos Speaker) In EFCC Custody Over 7 Billion Naira Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.