Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,788 members, 7,831,549 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras (8558 Views)

Photo: 10 Most Breathtaking Highways Of The World / Lagos Restricts Movement On Major Highways Due To International Marathon / IGP Reintroduces Roadblocks On Highways (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by wasiudvd(m): 3:42pm On Feb 17, 2013
grin grin grin grin

I don hear!
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by djeezy(m): 3:43pm On Feb 17, 2013
1.Trust Nigerians. The camera's will all get missing without the electronic data capture device capturing the face of the thieves.
2. It is a nice feat but since it's in Nigeria 'tis just an avenue to embezzle public funds.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by Nobody: 3:44pm On Feb 17, 2013
300,000 people to install 10,000 cameras and man them. WTF! This country is good!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by Nobody: 3:44pm On Feb 17, 2013
We've got so many here already in Abuja, and i dnt c what dey do wit it...
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by Originalsly: 3:44pm On Feb 17, 2013
Let's see the MOU. RAPSON would source the funds...from whom?..FG? Installation of 10 000 cameras and employment of 300 000 people..that would be hmmm..let me get my calculator...that will be 30 persons per camera operation. Then asking for 5 000 policemen...1 police for every 2 cameras.Am I to believe that RAPSON would pay all these people and maintain the system... and make a profit by collecting a portion of the fines from violators? I guess fines would be N1 million minimum.This one pass 419...this is plain old highway robbery.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by dulphines: 3:44pm On Feb 17, 2013
@Contractor for this project, i can supply the CCTV control system + Cameras needed for this project. I recommend you use HERNIS CCTV Control system. Inbox me if you are interested.
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by kaeto(m): 3:49pm On Feb 17, 2013
Whatever strategy the government employs to tackle insecurity and save the lives of the weak and defenseless amongst us is very okay by me. We got security satilites, right? They would sure complement the effort of the high way cameras to battle kidnapping, hihgway robery, militancy, terrorism, etc. I also implore our contractors and stakeholders to be patriotic to the course of this nation by being steadfast in keeping promises and deals. Thanks...
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by IYANGBALI: 3:53pm On Feb 17, 2013
cigar icon: See as them they talk "across the country" as if e go reach my home town.
are you a nigerian?are you not from chad?
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by gramci: 3:57pm On Feb 17, 2013
Highways? Why not cities?
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by 40Lightyears: 3:58pm On Feb 17, 2013
Good! Hand me the billion naira contract, i no trust any of this govt officials, even U.
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by otokx(m): 3:58pm On Feb 17, 2013
where are the highways that they are putting cameras?
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by tutu1: 4:02pm On Feb 17, 2013
Sorry I am being pessimistic, but we don't have street lights on our high ways, we don't have on line data of all vehicles plate numbers and their owners details, we don't have surveillance satellite and most importantly we don't ELECTRICITY TO RUN CAMERA'S so how in Gods name is this project suppose to work? are the CAMERAS for entertainment, please abeg make them give the money to Super Eagles, if them grin no get use for money grin
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by 40Lightyears: 4:04pm On Feb 17, 2013
otokx: where are the highways that they are putting cameras?

Just follow "the yellow-bricked road", and u'll get to the highway u seek. grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by motif8(m): 4:10pm On Feb 17, 2013
mosho2good: Wonders shall never end in dis country
tommorow now u will heard dat third mainland bridge contract has been awarded to boko haram

what is the wonder that u read from there? is it a bad thing to install a camera on our ways for safety reason and to track armed robbers that disturb travellers? u never believe in possibilities in Nigeria or u just feel like commenting rubbish, if u dont like nigeria pls go and find the country u like and leave nigeria alone

Go bless Naija
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by DOD1: 4:10pm On Feb 17, 2013
Good development, keep it up
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by jamolmed: 4:18pm On Feb 17, 2013
Lmao
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by supaeagles(m): 4:19pm On Feb 17, 2013
tebill: powered by wind technology

Abi oh, because NEPA no de
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by Revolva(m): 4:20pm On Feb 17, 2013
Camera haha wey before a month boiz go pluck am ..go sell for alaba!!! Haha !!!! Naija
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by tefund(m): 4:20pm On Feb 17, 2013
Mr.T Anonymous:
The Federal Government of Nigeria has concluded plans to collaborate witha safety organization toinstall surveillance cameras in all the major highways across the country. This isin a bid to curtail violationof road traffic laws and ensure there’san eye out to see when criminal activities are being committedon our highways.
A Memorandum of Understanding,MoU, would therefore be signed this week between the government and Risk and Accident Prevention Society of Nigeria, RAPSON in a move that will bring about theinstallation of 10,000 units ofsmart cameras and 13,000 sets of memorycensors on thenation’s highways.
Chairman of RAPSON, Mr Ben Koko Odohofre while speaking ton newsmen in Abuja said the organization was set to employ 300,000personnel to work on the project.
RAPSON is an organization with the objective to save lives andreduce the toll of injuries and death resultingfrom accident and violence on roads.
According to Odohofre, a committee comprising the State Security Service, SSS, the Nigeria Police, Vehicle Inspection Officers, VIO, and Federal Ministry of Transport, Ministry of Works, Ministry of Justice and Federal Road Safety Commission, FRSC, would work with the organisation onthe project.
The Chairman/CEO said the company as a player in the private sector,would source the funds whilegovernment would enforce the project.
“Government would fine offenders whilethe percentageof money realized from the fines wouldbe shared between government and RAPSON. However government would provide its agencies which would drive the project. The police would arrest the offenders whilewe are asking the police for 5,000 men,” hesaid.
http://www.informationng.com/2013/02/nigerian-highways-to-get-10000-surveillance-cameras.html

without constant electricity this thing can work in this part of the world.
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by Nobody: 4:23pm On Feb 17, 2013
Kamanda: Ghen Ghen!!! Another bilion billion contract don land.
More chop chop on the way.

And I bet they will bring in substandard Chinese equipment.
mosho2good: Wonders shall never end in dis country
tommorow now u will heard dat third mainland bridge contract has been awarded to boko haram

Its seems to me that Nairaland has been annexed by twitchy juviniles... One would expect you read through the op's commentary before dropping extraneous comments..
For the purpose of clarity, I will recapitulate the important points
1. 10000 cameras to be placed at strategic highway locations
2. Contract will be excecuted and funded by the private company(not government)
3. It will be maintained and managed by the company
4. The only contribution of the government is an enforcement parastatal,in this case,5000 police personel

I am yet to percieve where its stated in the article that the government will fund or misappropriate funds....

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by 1forall: 4:23pm On Feb 17, 2013
Na which day we Nigerians go tire enough to do something about this criminal government?
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by 40Lightyears: 4:25pm On Feb 17, 2013
tefund:

without constant electricity this thing can work in this part of the world.

Probably, it'll run on solar or wind. Solar is best at least it'll get to reduce this scorching heat.

*Joking!* grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by ismhab(m): 4:35pm On Feb 17, 2013
Where is the electricity in Nigeria for the camera to function.
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by Nobody: 4:39pm On Feb 17, 2013
tutu1: Sorry I am being pessimistic, but we don't have street lights on our high ways, we don't have on line data of all vehicles plate numbers and their owners details, we don't have surveillance satellite and most importantly we don't ELECTRICITY TO RUN CAMERA'S so how in Gods name is this project suppose to work? are the CAMERAS for entertainment, please abeg make them give the money to Super Eagles, if them grin no get use for money grin

Your persimism is permissible,
I am not definite about the powersource, but its my observation that most highway surveilance equipments are solar powered and have biult in solar panels. They have biult in gps transmitters(easy to track when stolen).
Nigeria has two orbiting satalites dedicated to surveilance
The owners registration and vehicle issue might not be at optimal state now but, in all I think its a laudable project and a step in the right direction.....
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by achu442(m): 4:43pm On Feb 17, 2013
Please we need cameras in the offices of senetors and Reps.
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by Nobody: 4:44pm On Feb 17, 2013
YoungBrain:
Just a few questions

1. would the cameras depend on NEPA/PHCN
2. Can the cameras operate in dark poorly lit highways
3. Who monitors the camera? Civil servants or private sector?
there are street cameras who operate solely on solar power so its likely thats what they will get
also i believe its a very very very good move if it is done with no embezlement of local or international funds
a camera on major streets will go a long way in curbing crime cos the cameras also are security cameras which record activities all day long
but like i said,if its done with the best interest of Nigerians at heart,then its a very very good move
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by Esiere: 5:01pm On Feb 17, 2013
I guess they forgot to tell us that they would also install 10000 I-pass-my neighbour power generators for the cameras.SMH. Na today. One day will be one...sons and daughters will wake up and demand accountability of their fathers' wealth.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by akatonero(m): 5:24pm On Feb 17, 2013
Street never get na high way grin grin just hop armed robbers will not use it to monitor movement instead of its main function. I taya for naija.
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by Nobody: 5:25pm On Feb 17, 2013
YoungBrain:
Just a few questions

1. would the cameras depend on NEPA/PHCN
2. Can the cameras operate in dark poorly lit highways
3. Who monitors the camera? Civil servants or private sector?

Pls... Can someone just respond to dis questions....
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by kiyosaki1(m): 5:29pm On Feb 17, 2013
What's needed is just a handful drones fitted with very hi definition camera that can pick the type of phone you are carrying from as far as 1000m, but Our leaders are just too lazy to update themselves with the latest happenings in the technology world
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by SlyIg(f): 5:40pm On Feb 17, 2013
10,000 only? How is d coverage like!
Re: Nigerian Highways To Get Surveillance Cameras by informatix: 5:42pm On Feb 17, 2013
Long OverDue. Injection after Death.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Olamide Ft Lil Wayne – “street Flow” (prod By Pheelz) / You Guys Made Me Join Nairaland! / How To Change Kuda App Phone Number When Lost

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.