Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,036 members, 7,863,708 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 01:05 AM

Federal Government To Install 10,000 Road Surveillance Cameras - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Federal Government To Install 10,000 Road Surveillance Cameras (687 Views)

Buratai Tests Surveillance Camera In Rivers (Photo) / Lagos To Install 10,000 CCTV Cameras Across The State / RRS Police Deploys Surveillance Drones To Monitor Crime In Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Federal Government To Install 10,000 Road Surveillance Cameras by adewasco2k(m): 1:31am On Feb 18, 2013
To stem the violation of road traffic regulations by motorists and other criminal activities in the country, the Federal Government has concluded plans to collaborate with a safety organization to install surveillance cameras in all the major highways across the country.

To this end, a Memorandum of Understanding, MoU, would be signed this week between the government and the firm, Risk and Accident Prevention Society of Nigeria, RAPSON. The move will bring about the installation of 10,000 units of smart cameras and 13,000 sets of memory censors on the nation’s highways.

Disclosing this to newsmen in Abuja, Chairman of RAPSON, Mr. Ben Koko Odohofre, said the organization was set to employ 300,000 personnel to work on the project.

The RAPSON is an organization with the objective to save lives and reduce the toll of injuries and death resulting from accident and violence on roads.

Odohofre explained that a committee comprising the State Security Service, SSS, the Nigeria Police, Vehicle Inspection Officers, VIO, and Federal Ministry of Transport, Ministry of Works, Ministry of Justice and Federal Road Safety Commission, FRSC, would work with the organisation.

According to the Chairman/CEO, they, as a private sector concern, would source the funds while government would enforce the project.

“Government would fine offenders while the percentage of money realized from the fines would be shared between government and RAPSON. However government would provide its agencies which would drive the project. The police would arrest the offenders while we are asking the police for 5,000 men, he added.

He disclosed that after the pilot study in 2003, the organisation picked Abuja, Lagos and Port Harcourt for the take-off of the project while a retreat and action plan would be organized.

http://www.wasconet.com/federal-government-to-install-10000-road-surveillance-cameras/
Re: Federal Government To Install 10,000 Road Surveillance Cameras by RedLight1: 3:44am On Feb 18, 2013
lol funny people.. Surv cameras on deathtraps called roads... By d way, are the cameras gona be powered with i pass my neighbour generator or nepa light? grin
Re: Federal Government To Install 10,000 Road Surveillance Cameras by Nobody: 4:07am On Feb 18, 2013
Priority!!!!! Priority!!!

If I'm starving, I will steal those cameras and sell for cheap.

You installing cameras to monitor my movements when I'm starving, uneducated, undeveloped, cheated, robbed of a future and potential, looted. Money that could have sent me to quality school so I will be productive to my community and society in this modern age is being stolen by you. And all you think about is cameras? You'll never catch me. I will destroy the cameras or sell them if I can. I'm starving, I'm hungry and the sun about to set with no food in my belle for the day and you think I must obey the law?

3 Likes

Re: Federal Government To Install 10,000 Road Surveillance Cameras by bankyblue(m): 5:00am On Feb 18, 2013
That will be a welcome development, but com to think of it! Those cctv
Located every where in abuja, are they outdated already? Hmmmm. Another
Source of looting our money........and is that 300000 job opportunity
permanent?
Re: Federal Government To Install 10,000 Road Surveillance Cameras by adewasco2k(m): 7:26am On Feb 18, 2013
Red-Light:
lol funny people.. Surv cameras on deathtraps called roads... By d way, are the cameras gona be powered with i pass my neighbour generator or nepa light? grin
The cameras are been powered by PHCN and when that fails there is a backup solar power to make sure it stays online.........but I dnt see this working in Nigeria yet. Those all along Abuja road are not working now! I guess they can't even manage it
Re: Federal Government To Install 10,000 Road Surveillance Cameras by Tolexander: 9:13am On Feb 18, 2013
Another white elephant project!
How does it seem to build a man that has no consistent oxygen to power its metabolism? Or buy a car that has no reliable engine?
What will be the source of the power to the cameras?
Solar! i guess if the epileptic power is sidelined. This is nigeria where there isn't any maintainance culture. The project can be achieved but the problem is the moment it start functioning, 3 months after it will be its lifespan.
Why must our leaders live a life of the dog that refuses to hunt the squirel but prefer to hunt the flying hawk's shadow?
Re: Federal Government To Install 10,000 Road Surveillance Cameras by GARRIx7(m): 9:27am On Feb 18, 2013
I'm kinda curious, so the firm intends to make their money from fines paid by offenders.....abi??

According to the Chairman/CEO, they, as a private sector concern, would source the funds while government would enforce the project.

“Government would fine offenders while the percentage of money realized from the fines would be shared between government and RAPSON.

Ok ooooo..

Sit-down-look na Dog name..

angry
Re: Federal Government To Install 10,000 Road Surveillance Cameras by Nobody: 9:50am On Feb 18, 2013
Something wey guys go steal finish.
Re: Federal Government To Install 10,000 Road Surveillance Cameras by Nobody: 9:56am On Feb 18, 2013
uihebom: Something wey guys go steal finish.
I trust my area boys for Lagos.Surveillance Cameras my foot! grin
Re: Federal Government To Install 10,000 Road Surveillance Cameras by OAM4J: 9:58am On Feb 18, 2013

(1)

Tinubu Eulogises Legal Luminary, Femi Okunnu / South East PDP V.C Speaks On 3 States In S.E That Are Witnessing Development / Boko Haram: Nigeria Summons US Ambassador

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.